Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 06:50:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658136 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 63 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)  (Read 35420 times)
mountmccabe

« Reply #375 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:04:31 PM »

Exhibit A:
complaining about hearing 'search and destroy' and 'touch me i'm sick' is something i'm tired of hearing.

...sounds a bit unpleasant, but I don't think he's being uncivil or disrespectful overall.

Much Love

That was, however, copying the form and tone of Andrew's response to Tim's posting excitement over the initial lineup for ATP NY 2010.

I don't specifically have a problem with hearing those songs, I just don't like the idea of everyone coming to the show already knowing what the setlist will be. That's not my idea of what a live show should be about.

In most cases, I agree with you.  I would not want Don't Look Back sets to be the norm.  They are still, in my estimation, relatively rare.

It's a big ATP thing for bands to "play their classic album." I would not be surprised if organizers approach bands with requests for them to play whatever album in its entirety. I would be surprised to hear that a band were disinvited from a show if they weren't into doing so, so to that extent you have a point.

For the actual Don't Look Back concert series I bet ATP actually would say, oh, OK, we'll find somebody else.  Because that's what those concerts are about.

For something like their regular festivals - including ATP NY - the impression I get is that if they're asking a band to play an album it's likely that they like the band enough to include them anyway.  Maybe on Saturday instead of Friday or something like that, but they'd still want them.

And, in fact, we know that the Flaming Lips (curators for Sunday of 2009) asked all kinds of bands to do all kinds of crazy sets; they were asking everybody to do unique sets.  Some artists - like Boris playing Feedbacker - came back and said, yeah, that'd be cool and others said, no, how about we do this crazy thing - like Oneida doing 10 hours of improv sets with guests from the other bands - instead.  And some - such as the Super Furry Animals - said how about we just play a normal set.  And all of that was OK.

I guess my main point is that from what i can tell the ATP people are huge music geeks and they absolutely love being able to put on such shows and festivals and that they're amazed that they come off.

And that I don't really don't think that DLB sets are going to take over the world.  Even at ATP NY 2009 there were only six DLB sets out of 35.

You know a pancake?
Nick Ink

« Reply #376 on: Nov 22, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »

Exhibit A:
complaining about hearing 'search and destroy' and 'touch me i'm sick' is something i'm tired of hearing.

...sounds a bit unpleasant, but I don't think he's being uncivil or disrespectful overall.

Much Love

That was, however, copying the form and tone of Andrew's response to Tim's posting excitement over the initial lineup for ATP NY 2010.

Aint worth arguing about but although it's the same form iit's not the same tone. Andrew's was aimed at the trend itself (something I've seen him comment on here a good few times before), the reply was aimed directly at Andrew/his post and was more barbed for it.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
davy

« Reply #377 on: Nov 22, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »

I think it would be pretty amazing to see Pavement perform Crooked Rain front to back. I wouldn't be as crazy about any of the others.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #378 on: Nov 23, 2009, 03:16:20 AM »

Also, is that all these bands play? Because that would be a rather short concert.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
narlus

« Reply #379 on: Nov 23, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »

Also, is that all these bands play? Because that would be a rather short concert.

they usually add on some other stuff too, but it depends on the record and the band.  i think Suicide only played their debut last year.  When Thurston played _Psychic Hearts_ he messed around w/ the order and didn't play every song off the record.  Melvins also messed w/ the track listing of _Houdini_ when they did played an ATP in england a few years back.

you gotta remember that it's a festival, and bands don't typically get their full set times anyway...last year, 7 bands played on friday (the 'DLB' portion, aside from Boris' contribution).  and if you don't like any particular LP, head over to the comedy stage.  ATP is all about choices.

merrittfan

« Reply #380 on: Nov 23, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »

I have never seen any band play a whole album and not play a regular set afterward or before.  Of particular interest is Public Enemy, who probably played for about 19 or 30 hours after they finished It Takes a Nation of Million..., which is a pretty long album in and of itself.
mountmccabe

« Reply #381 on: Nov 23, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »

i think Suicide only played their debut last year.

Oh man.  Going in I was hoping for more/expecting other early tracks but, damn, not after seeing them play.  It was an amazing set but them doing anything more would've taken away from what we saw.

Same with Boris playing any more than Feedbacker.  I would not have wanted another note from them.  The Drones, too.  Wait Long By the River and the Bodies of Your Enemies Will Float By is tracked and set up damn near perfectly; it is a real album with a real flow that goes somewhere.  Plus it's long enough as is.

The Feelies played Crazy Rhythms and then took a short (2 minute?) break and came back for 3 or 4 more songs but, seriously, that was also utterly unecessary and in my opinion took away from their set.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2009, 09:49:20 AM by mountmccabe » Logged

You know a pancake?
narlus

« Reply #382 on: Nov 23, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »

The Feelies got played a two song encore last night.

which isn't unusual, except they were the opening band (SY headlined).  i'm sure it's happened before, but i can't recall another opening band getting an encore.

lordokrakon

« Reply #383 on: Nov 26, 2009, 12:25:49 AM »

A thousand apologies if someone else has posted about this tour already, but I saw Cave In, Trap Them, and Narrows last Friday, and JEEEEBUS!  Trap Them was very excellent BUT needs to actually play some of the more violent and fast material off of Sleepwell Deconstructor.  Narrows BLEW MY SOCKS, SHOES, AND TROUSERS CLEAN OFF!  I went in with actually fairly low expectations of Narrows and a few seconds into the first song I was blown away.  I never got to see Botch, so seeing Narrows had a bit of misplaced nostalgia and an odd sense of fulfillment involved (at least for me.)  Cave In was also awesome.  The only played two songs off of Until Your Heart Stops which was actually in my opinion a big mistake.  Nothing they've done since (no, not even Jupiter) has come even close to being as awesome as UYHS.  When they played Moral Eclipse and Juggernaut shit turned BANANAS.  All in all though, AWESOME SHOW!
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2009, 12:27:59 AM by lordokrakon » Logged

Be excellent to each other.... PARTY ON DUDES!
lastclearchance

« Reply #384 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »

Before I offer it up on craigslist, anybody in NYC crew want to buy a ticket to the Wrens early show at Maxwell's on Friday? They'll be playing Meadowlands start to finish, as part of a three-show thing. I have an extra and would rather sell it to someone I know than someone I don't know. I'll be selling it for face, because I always do. You don't have to hang out with me at the show if you buy the ticket, but you can inf you want to.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
lastclearchance

« Reply #385 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »

While I'm on the topic, there are a ton of shows coming up all at once after a dry spell (notwithstanding Shrinebuilder, which I totally forgot about and missed).

Last night Sloan played and I was not there.
Tonight the Gandalfs are playing and I'm not there.
Tomorrow the Gandalfs will play and I will be there.
Thursday Wye Oak and Pulsars (yes that Pulsars, reunited for one show I guess?) will play and I will be there.
Also on Thursday the Wrens are playing. I will not be there.
Friday the Wrens are playing twice. I will be at both shows.
Also on Friday Sloan is playing. I will not be there.
Saturday is a bye.
Sunday Ted Leo is playing. I may be there.
Monday Chamberlain/Split Lip is playing. I will probably be there.

Then I get a week off before Antlers play on the 15th. But damn! When it rains it pours! (And not even during CMJ or pre/post SXSW or whatever!)

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
davy

« Reply #386 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:38:28 AM »

I missed out on Dave Rawlings (and special guest Gillian Welch) on Saturday because I drove to Atlanta to watch the final Tennessee game of the season with my dad at a sports bar. The Vols won in overtime and it was brilliant. Maybe next time Gillian!

alistarr*

« Reply #387 on: Dec 02, 2009, 04:07:29 AM »

i got sunn o))) on tuesday and stephen malkmus on thursday next week. i'm pretty excited!
Daniel

« Reply #388 on: Dec 02, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »

I decided to see Wilco both nights they're in my city next May.  Today I bought my Dinosaur Jr ticket for the club show when they're in town next March.

On Friday this week Melbourne locals Dick Diver are launching their EP, which should be a fat deal of fun, and then on Saturday night I'm seeing The Church.

Also on Saturday is my cousin's 4th birthday party, which promises to be killer.
ellaguru

« Reply #389 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »

Speaking of missing concerts, I think I'll be missing the Constantines with Oneida next weekend. Although even as I type that up, it seems like a bad idea.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
mountmccabe

« Reply #390 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:23:12 AM »

Before I offer it up on craigslist, anybody in NYC crew want to buy a ticket to the Wrens early show at Maxwell's on Friday? They'll be playing Meadowlands start to finish, as part of a three-show thing. I have an extra and would rather sell it to someone I know than someone I don't know. I'll be selling it for face, because I always do. You don't have to hang out with me at the show if you buy the ticket, but you can inf you want to.

I am not sure there is a band I want to see less than the Wrens.  I would so like for them to tour.  Alas.

So what I am saying is: jealous.

You know a pancake?
mountmccabe

« Reply #391 on: Dec 03, 2009, 12:25:55 AM »

Actually on topic for shows that are real I might go see Marduk tomorrow but I am really leaning towards no especially since it looks like I'll be working on Friday and then I am driving to SD to see Cold Cave with Nite Jewel at the Casbah.  Then it might be as of yet undiscovered/unannounced local shows until Sonic Youth's rescheduled show on January 5th.

You know a pancake?
narlus

« Reply #392 on: Dec 03, 2009, 02:28:15 PM »

December is looking very very slow...i blew off the Russian Circles/Young Widows show last night as my wife was going out w/ friends, so i stayed home w/ the kids.

might see Holly Golightly next wed.  still haven't heard back about the Spoon show tmrw, which likely means i'm not going.  i could see Clutch at the end of the month.  that's about it.

ellaguru

« Reply #393 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:11:16 AM »

Going to see Oneida twice today. Free afternoon instore performance at Sonic Boom, and then tonight opening for The Constantines. Which also means I am seeing The Constantines. I guess it's The Constantines' tenth anniversary celebration, so they're doing two nights this weekend and one night next weekend.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #394 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »

I'm kind of torn about whether I should go see the Slits on Monday. Because I know that now they're really more like "the Slits" and I have the fear.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
ellaguru

« Reply #395 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »

Hey, will I enjoy the Gospel Retribution Choir tomorrow night?

davy

« Reply #396 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:49:51 PM »

Damn it, I need to see an excellent live show, STAT. I'm losing the faith.

Anglophile

« Reply #397 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »

Leatherface!

East Coast US tour in March!

YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!

edit: also new album!!
edison

« Reply #398 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »

People of Georgia:

at the 40 Watt:

The Vic Shows: A Celebration of Vic Chesnutt's Life and Music

Night I:
Five Eight
Daniel Hutchens (of Bloodkin)
Jack Logan and Kelly Keneipp
Ham1
Dave Barbe & the Quick Hooks
Todd McBride and Rob Veal
Kelly Hogan
Amorphous Strums
Ben Mize
Curtiss Pernice and Sam Mixon
Flash to Bang Time
Todd Nance and William Tonks
Jill Carnes
John Keane
Friday February 19 | 8:00 PM Doors | $10 Advance

(Online tickets include a $2 surcharge per ticket)

Night II:
Will Johnson (of Centro-matic)
Elf Power
Victoria Williams
Howe Gelb
Mercyland
Guy Picciotto and Mt. Zion
Lambchop
Tenement Halls
Mark Linkous
Jeffrey Richards
Saturday February 20 | 8:00 PM Doors | $10 Advance
davy

« Reply #399 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »

Holy shit. I got 300 Athens peeps in my facebook news feed, and you scooped them all. Lots of names to get excited about there--Kelly Hogan, Lambchop, Jack Logan, Dave Barbe, Howe Gelb, Guy Picciotto. It'll be nice to catch up with Elf Power and Will Johnson. Sweet.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)
Jump to: