Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 09:48:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)  (Read 35157 times)
ellaguru

« Reply #25 on: Jul 19, 2009, 09:37:10 AM »

Frightened Rabbit. July 25. I'm pumped.

Ah, excellent, I'm seeing them this Wednesday.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
jess

« Reply #26 on: Jul 19, 2009, 09:59:34 AM »

this Tuesday there are three pretty awesome shows...and I can only pick one.

Mark Eitzel @ the Lizard Lounge
Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby @ TT's
Mark Burgess @ Hennessey's

Based on the venues I'd say Eitzel & Wreckless Eric.  Based on the artists I'd say Wreckless Eric.

Yeah, I don't know any of the artists, but it takes serious love for me to venture into the Faneuil bar scene (Hennessey's). Tuesday might not be that bad, but then again, it's summer, so ugh.
girl

« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »

Oh hey, me too!

this is a story and you're not in it
donblood
« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »

Yeah, I don't know any of the artists, but it takes serious love for me to venture into the Faneuil bar scene (Hennessey's). Tuesday might not be that bad, but then again, it's summer, so ugh.

It basically boils down to DON'T GO NEAR THE FANEUIL
spoton

« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2009, 10:23:32 PM »

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks 7/29! Woooo!
narlus

« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 2009, 10:41:28 PM »

Based on the venues I'd say Eitzel & Wreckless Eric.  Based on the artists I'd say Wreckless Eric.

after day 3 of the Homegrown Fest, i was starving and the only late night option for food is Chinatown...driving down the bar scene @ Boylston when the clubs got out was a freakin' riot, sight-wise.

i don't think Hennessey's will too bad on tuesday... and even if it is outside, it won't be inside.

narlus

« Reply #31 on: Jul 20, 2009, 10:33:48 AM »

oh my....ATP/NY just got even better....a friend sent on word that Boris will be playing _Feedbacker_ in its entirety...my favorite record of theirs by far. 

i would think that this means they are back to a three piece, but that's ok. 

narlus

« Reply #32 on: Jul 22, 2009, 01:52:38 AM »

after day 3 of the Homegrown Fest, i was starving and the only late night option for food is Chinatown...driving down the bar scene @ Boylston when the clubs got out was a freakin' riot, sight-wise.

i don't think Hennessey's will too bad on tuesday... and even if it is outside, it won't be inside.

holy christ...the Burgess show was epic.  i've seen a TON of shows in my life, and this was way way up there.

marty willson-piper drove up from new jersey and played on 'splitting in two.'  that's the kind of show i'm talking about.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009, 01:54:15 AM by narlus » Logged

Robert

« Reply #33 on: Jul 22, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »

Well, I'm not sure how I feel about this one, but SunnO))) is playing a show at the Seney Stovall Chapel in Athens, which is an awesome idea, I think because that chapel is an awesome place and will probably have great sound and plus it'll probably look cool as shit, but I think SunnO))) is B-O-R-I-N-G.

Should I go to a show knowing I do not like the music that will be played just because the venue/artist match-up is interesting to me? 

More photos of the chapel here.

Damn.
Maaik

« Reply #34 on: Jul 22, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »

Jason Lyttle is opening for Neko Case this Sunday and I'm looking forward to that.  Haven't seen him live since I saw Grandaddy open for Elliot Smith back in the day.

I need anne the man lessons
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #35 on: Jul 23, 2009, 12:54:29 AM »

Well, I'm not sure how I feel about this one, but SunnO))) is playing a show at the Seney Stovall Chapel in Athens, which is an awesome idea, I think because that chapel is an awesome place and will probably have great sound and plus it'll probably look cool as shit, but I think SunnO))) is B-O-R-I-N-G.

Should I go to a show knowing I do not like the music that will be played just because the venue/artist match-up is interesting to me? 

For one thing, I think it might be more interesting of a musical event in that environment than when you're sitting around at home. For another thing, they might get in an onstage fight like they did that time when Alex saw them a couple of years ago and start trashing each other's equipment again. That'd be worth seeing, right?

I think you should at least consider it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
edison

« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »

August might be bookended by these two exciting shows, provided I feel up to driving a little on those days:

Aug 1 - Kammerflimmer Kollektiev in Karlsruhe
Aug 28 - Carla Bozulich + Fred Frith in Mulhouse
alex

« Reply #37 on: Jul 23, 2009, 05:18:41 AM »

For one thing, I think it might be more interesting of a musical event in that environment than when you're sitting around at home. For another thing, they might get in an onstage fight like they did that time when Alex saw them a couple of years ago and start trashing each other's equipment again. That'd be worth seeing, right?

Alex as in me? 'Cause I saw them a couple of years ago (in a church, no less), and was very impressed, but I'm pretty sure that no equipment-trashing was involved (my report seems to have been lost in the server crash, though). I came into already liking Sunn O))), so I can't speak for the conversion powers of seeing them live, but I do agree with Andrew that they're more suited to live performances than to living room listening -- just something about the feeling of being crushed by soundwaves that you can't very well replicate at home. (Of course, most of my usual concert-going/music listening tends to be more on the soft side, which isn't true for Robert, so what do I know.)
ellaguru

« Reply #38 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:28:37 AM »

Oh hey, me too!

You kids will have fun, they were great here last night. Sold out house full of singer-alongers and merry makers, singing along and making merry.

Also, if you can, try to turn up early enough for Antlers, they're still opening the show in Massachusetts. They were pretty good with several moments of very goodness. And also a good match with Frightened Rabbit.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
what whale

« Reply #39 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:34:18 AM »

Neko Case is playing a free show here tonight, outside, as part of Buffalo's "Thursday in the Square" series.  I love Neko Case, but I've also been to "the Square," which is like a large frat party (it's like 10,000 people crammed into a pretty small park downtown), where plastic cups of Labatt Blue are like $5, and you're guaranteed to see at least 3 fights (a conservative estimate, in my experience). 

Alas, I will not be seeing Neko Case tonight.

Quote from: "Hooks"
sick of bein sad but thank beer companies make everyday better lol
ellaguru

« Reply #40 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »

That's too bad, passing up free stuff is always tragic.

Next free gig for me is next week, a review (I guess that's what it is) called "Jamaica to Toronto". It's a bunch of soul/ska/reggae/rocksteady guys who ditched Kingston for Toronto in the sixties and seventies, worked here for a while and then not for a very long time, and then maybe two years ago got together for a one-off show that has turned into a periodic thing - this is maybe the third or fourth show they've done. Each of the past shows I've had to miss but was sad about it, so I'm excited about checking them out this time. Also, free!

what whale

« Reply #41 on: Jul 23, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »

That's too bad, passing up free stuff is always tragic.

Indeed.  It's also pouring rain here and my girlfriend's birthday today, so these things will keep me happy at home. 

Next free gig for me is next week, a review (I guess that's what it is) called "Jamaica to Toronto". It's a bunch of soul/ska/reggae/rocksteady guys who ditched Kingston for Toronto in the sixties and seventies, worked here for a while and then not for a very long time, and then maybe two years ago got together for a one-off show that has turned into a periodic thing - this is maybe the third or fourth show they've done. Each of the past shows I've had to miss but was sad about it, so I'm excited about checking them out this time. Also, free!

Reason 4538209574398573498574389 why I absolutely adore your fair city.  Cool

Quote from: "Hooks"
sick of bein sad but thank beer companies make everyday better lol
Maaik

« Reply #42 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:09:41 AM »

Neko Case is playing a free show here tonight, outside, as part of Buffalo's "Thursday in the Square" series.  I love Neko Case, but I've also been to "the Square," which is like a large frat party (it's like 10,000 people crammed into a pretty small park downtown), where plastic cups of Labatt Blue are like $5, and you're guaranteed to see at least 3 fights (a conservative estimate, in my experience). 

Alas, I will not be seeing Neko Case tonight.

Yeah, I saw Cake under similar circumstances--a free show put on by the local alt rock station.  It was like going to an off-campus party you weren't explicitly invited to, but was big enough to warrant a visit--getting there and finding no one you knew and instead hanging around the dipshits you haven't seen since they dropped out of your freshmen core classes.

I didn't go back to see Spoon the next week.

I need anne the man lessons
elpollodiablo

« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »

In my ten days out of town this month, I missed seeing Mission of Burma & Magnolia Electric Company for free within a twenty minute walk of my apartment. Kind bummed about that.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »

Alex as in me? 'Cause I saw them a couple of years ago (in a church, no less), and was very impressed, but I'm pretty sure that no equipment-trashing was involved (my report seems to have been lost in the server crash, though). I came into already liking Sunn O))), so I can't speak for the conversion powers of seeing them live, but I do agree with Andrew that they're more suited to live performances than to living room listening -- just something about the feeling of being crushed by soundwaves that you can't very well replicate at home. (Of course, most of my usual concert-going/music listening tends to be more on the soft side, which isn't true for Robert, so what do I know.)

Oh, it wasn't you that saw that Sunn 0))) show where they got in a fight? Did someone else on here see it, or did I read about that somewhere else? Damn. I guess I'll never know now. Oops.

Also, ella, you threw me for a minute there, but it's THE Antlers who are opening for Frightened Rabbit. Just plain Antlers are from Richmond and are friends of mine, and I was like, "I saw Wolfgang at a show two nights ago, I really don't think they're on tour right now." Sure enough, nope, the band playing with Frightened Rabbit is some Brooklyn band.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
alex

« Reply #45 on: Jul 23, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »

I remember reading about it somewhere on here, too, but also can't remember whether it was a first-person report or just something someone had read about.
merrittfan

« Reply #46 on: Jul 23, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »

So, Leonard fucking Cohen is coming to Nashville and I'm freaking out slightly.  On his last tour, my friend and I were all ready to make the road trip from here to Chicago just to see Cohen, but couldn't due to stupid circumstances, and now he's coming to us!!!

I just hope I can get good seats.  I'll prolly just pay some ungodly amount for tix on Craigslist or something.
alex

« Reply #47 on: Jul 23, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »

Oh, it wasn't you that saw that Sunn 0))) show where they got in a fight? Did someone else on here see it, or did I read about that somewhere else? Damn. I guess I'll never know now. Oops.

Oh, hey Andrew, found it:

http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,9804.msg432269.html#msg432269

So looks like I heard about it from you, and you heard about it on another board.
ellaguru

« Reply #48 on: Jul 23, 2009, 01:37:55 PM »

Also, ella, you threw me for a minute there, but it's THE Antlers who are opening for Frightened Rabbit. Just plain Antlers are from Richmond and are friends of mine, and I was like, "I saw Wolfgang at a show two nights ago, I really don't think they're on tour right now." Sure enough, nope, the band playing with Frightened Rabbit is some Brooklyn band.

Ah, noted, sorry. The Antlers.

mountmccabe

« Reply #49 on: Jul 23, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »

I really really want to see the Antlers.  I only know their latest album, Hospice but it is a stunner.  Parts remind me of old Low, except that Low didn't shift/build into showers of overpowering shoegaze and noise.

I would be upset that they weren't opening for Frightened Rabbit at the show near here but (a) I might not be able to go because it is in Tucson and on a Tuesday and (b) the fucking Twilight Sad are opening that show.

You know a pancake?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)
Jump to: