Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 03:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657939 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 59 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)  (Read 35163 times)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #50 on: Jul 23, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »

Oh, it wasn't you that saw that Sunn 0))) show where they got in a fight? Did someone else on here see it, or did I read about that somewhere else? Damn. I guess I'll never know now. Oops.

Oh, hey Andrew, found it:

http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,9804.msg432269.html#msg432269

So looks like I heard about it from you, and you heard about it on another board.

OK, true. Also, for anyone who wants to look at the thread that I linked to from said other board back then, that board has changed its formatting, so the link I posted two years ago won't work. This one will, though:

http://board.vivalavinyl.org/thread/view/42611/&p=38

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
girl

« Reply #51 on: Jul 23, 2009, 08:30:31 PM »

Frightened Rabbit. July 25. I'm pumped.

Oh hey, me too!

You kids will have fun, they were great here last night. Sold out house full of singer-alongers and merry makers, singing along and making merry.

Also, if you can, try to turn up early enough for Antlers, they're still opening the show in Massachusetts. They were pretty good with several moments of very goodness. And also a good match with Frightened Rabbit.

Now I'm EVEN MORE EXCITED! (Also jealous that mccabe would get to see The Twilight Sad, but I suppose I'll get over that.)

this is a story and you're not in it
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #52 on: Jul 24, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »

Finally got round today to getting my plane tickets to Australia for my rockin weekend.

Excited!

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #53 on: Jul 25, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »

Who all wants to go see Lucero in about 3 weeks?  They're playing Subterranean on a Saturday night and an open-air festival the next day along with Murder By Death, I think it ought to be a pretty good time, I'm bringing the whole Horde

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
in jest

« Reply #54 on: Jul 27, 2009, 01:34:33 AM »

Finally got round today to getting my plane tickets to Australia for my rockin weekend.

Excited!

hey my mates in Slug Guts are playing this, you should watch em. sorta swampy Birthday Party type business, loud as balls, shitloads of reverb, pointy shoes etc etc.

making love with devil
merrittfan

« Reply #55 on: Jul 27, 2009, 01:44:55 AM »

Thinking about going to see Born of Osiris in September, but they're playing with some bands I've never heard of.  Namely, All Shall Perish and After the Burial.  Anybody know anything about them?  I like the new BOO a lot, but I'd much rather not have to sit through two lackluster bands to get to the awesomeness.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #56 on: Jul 27, 2009, 01:57:36 AM »

All Shall Perish are fucking brutal, or at least they used to be. Basically hardcore kids playing death metal, but they do it well if you ask me. Haven't heard their latest album, though. It might not be as good.

Daniel

« Reply #57 on: Jul 27, 2009, 02:51:09 AM »

Phoenix, 3 Aug.
I Heart Hiroshima, 21 Aug.
Lucksmiths, 26 Aug (their fourth last show ever).
Flip Out! Fest, 5 Sep.
Liam Finn + Eliza Jane, 18 Sep.
Sarah Blasko, 2 Oct.

Oh, so that's why I have no money.
merrittfan

« Reply #58 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »

So, I was going to go see Dinosaur, Jr in Lousiville this October until I realized fucking OS MUTANTES is playing a show in Atlanta on the same damn night.  So, NOW, me and my buddy are driving to Atlanta on that Friday to go see Os Mutantes, staying the night, and then going to see Dinosaur Jr. at the same venue the next damn night.  It sounds like two tons of fun and I simply cannot wait.  I've wanted to see Os Mutantes for YEARS, goddamn it.

Now, all I gotta do is sell this Louisville Dinosaur, Jr. ticket....
donblood
« Reply #59 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »

From what I've heard, Os Mutantes puts on an epic live show, and I've had "Panis et Circenses" stuck in my head all day, so you know I've got credibility.
merrittfan

« Reply #60 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »

From what I've heard, Os Mutantes puts on an epic live show, and I've had "Panis et Circenses" stuck in my head all day, so you know I've got credibility.

They're one of my favorite bands of all time w/o exaggeration, so I cannot say how excited I am.  I just hope their set isn't loaded with stuff from their new album and nothing else (even though I really like that one song from it). 
donblood
« Reply #61 on: Jul 27, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »

Yeah, their first record is my favorite.

But no matter, you get to gaze upon Sergio's majestically hilarious face either way.
Anne the Man

« Reply #62 on: Jul 29, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »

Just bought my $164.90 AC/DC ticket for January. Buying expensive tickets scared me even before the Who fiasco, now it's freaking me the fuck out. Unless I have an amazingly lucrative new job by January I doubt I could afford to replace a ticket if I lost one. Like they'd be any spares anyway, they had to add in an extra concert cos of the ticket stampede.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
mountmccabe

« Reply #63 on: Jul 29, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »

In a bit I am going to the Phoenix Art Museum to see the season finale of the Downtown Chamber series.  They are playing a piano trio by Beethoven, a violin sonata by Debussy and a piano quintet by Brahms.  They do a season of five concerts, most in small art/performance spaces, but the finale is always at PAM because they have air conditioning!

Friday night I think I am going to the CD release show of Courtney Marie Andrews, a local folk artist.  I keep missing seeing her, though.

August 6 is Bowerbirds and Mega faun at the Rhythm Room, and then Thursday the 20th I might drive down to Tucson to see Los Campesinos!  The other show lined up for August is the 24th with Dungen and Woods.

You know a pancake?
ellaguru

« Reply #64 on: Jul 30, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »

OK, after some hemming and hawing I had decided that I was going to skip the Cool Kids gig next month because $20 is a little steep for them, in my humble opinion. However, Pitchfork tells me this morning that Clipse is the other band on the bill. That's a bit of a change in the landscape, I think.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
ieatrats

« Reply #65 on: Jul 30, 2009, 11:17:29 AM »

Polvo's playing tonight.  There's a band I never saw in the day that has an album and an ep that's unlike anything else:  Today's Active Lifestyles and Celebrate The Dark New Age.

narlus

« Reply #66 on: Jul 30, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »

cajole dave and ash into playing 'vibracobra'

i was 0 for 2 last year.

ieatrats

« Reply #67 on: Jul 30, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »

cajole dave and ash into playing 'vibracobra'

i was 0 for 2 last year.

last year?  dang I have to get my Polvo ducks in a row, I had no idea they'd been playing anytime in like the last 10 years.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #68 on: Jul 30, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »

Yeah, though it's not the original lineup, just the two guitarists with a new rhythm section. I think that's right, at least.

I should probably go see them, even though I've heard varying reports about how well the reunited band captures the sound of the original. I saw the weird reconstituted version of Slint, after all (and enjoyed it).

davy

« Reply #69 on: Jul 30, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »

I need to revisit Polvo like soon. The only album I ever had was Exploded Drawing, and while I liked it fine, the only song to really hit home was "In This Life," which isn't even a song that gets talked about very much. Considering that Helium is one of my all-time favorite bands, I think I probably missed something the first time around.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #70 on: Jul 30, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »

"Today's Active Lifestyles" is the best one, though "Exploded Drawing" is pretty great.

davy

« Reply #71 on: Jul 30, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »

I once found a copy of their rare self-titled EP at a flea market and gave it to a couple friends as a wedding gift. I was pretty proud of that one.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #72 on: Jul 30, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »

Oh, that record has "Lull" on it. That might be my favorite Polvo song (if it isn't "Tilebreaker").

ieatrats

« Reply #73 on: Jul 30, 2009, 01:22:47 PM »

I need to revisit Polvo like soon. The only album I ever had was Exploded Drawing, and while I liked it fine, the only song to really hit home was "In This Life," which isn't even a song that gets talked about very much. Considering that Helium is one of my all-time favorite bands, I think I probably missed something the first time around.

I don't know what the personal association is with Helium, but you nailed something for me - TAL (and Celebrate...) don't sound like anything else in the world to me, but the amazing first Helium ep, how off and unexpected it sounded (and sounds) is EXACTLY how those records sound really unusual for me, if not sounding anything like the Helium ep.  Nice.

mountmccabe

« Reply #74 on: Jul 30, 2009, 02:14:59 PM »

Ash Bowie actually didn't play on the first Helium EP (Pirate Prude) but he was there for everything else.

At any rate the modern Polvo has recorded an album of new material that is due in a month and a half.  I am interested to see how this turns out.

Also I prefer Exploded Drawing to TAL.  I am trying to explain why but I am blanking.

You know a pancake?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)
Jump to: