Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 29, 2014, 02:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 35 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)  (Read 35591 times)
ellaguru

« Reply #75 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:27:50 PM »

Opening for The Rural Alberta Advantage tonight will be The Wilderness of Manitoba. Because it's theme night.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
narlus

« Reply #76 on: Jul 30, 2009, 08:51:45 PM »

Yeah, though it's not the original lineup, just the two guitarists with a new rhythm section. I think that's right, at least.

I should probably go see them, even though I've heard varying reports about how well the reunited band captures the sound of the original. I saw the weird reconstituted version of Slint, after all (and enjoyed it).

just the drummer's been replaced...the bass player was in the original band too.

they have changed around some of the arrangements, so don't go into a show expecting a direct flashback...one disheartened fan @ ATP stood front and center w/ both thumbs down because of this.

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #77 on: Jul 30, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »

You know when there’s band that was kinda before your time when at their best? And when they were good they were just fucking astounding and released almost era defining records. But then everything else they’ve done for like the last 15 years has been just utterly terrible. Sometime those bands decide to play your town and you don’t wanna go cos you know you’ll hate it - but you also know you’ll likely go anyway. Yep, The Dwarves are coming to NZ.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
merrittfan

« Reply #78 on: Jul 30, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »

I just bought two tix to go see They Might Be Giants perform Flood in its entirety in St. Louis this October.  I'm not the biggest TMBG fan in the world, but Flood is a very special album to me.  I'm really nostalgic about it 'cause it was amongst the first pieces of music I liked simply because I knew I liked it.  I was so young when I first heard it, but I still remember thinking, "God, this is so much better than anything else on the radio."  So, I'm pretty excited about it.

But, yeah, They Might Be Giants as a whole and as a ten-years-older individual, ehhhhhh....
Thermofusion

« Reply #79 on: Jul 30, 2009, 11:03:45 PM »

Back in November, I saw them do Flood in DC and then Apollo 18 the next night in NYC. The Apollo 18 show was better because the crowd was better but they were both fantastic. Posted about them here, somewhere.

triple paisley minimum
merrittfan

« Reply #80 on: Jul 30, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »

I didn't even know they play Apollo 18 live.  Fingertips 'n' all?  If so, day-um.
Maaik

« Reply #81 on: Jul 30, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »

Oh yeah, both times I've seen 'em, they've played "Fingertips" the whole way through.  Also, they played "The Jungle (Lion Sleeps Tonight)" and got the audience to start a huge conga line.  Seriously, TMBG put on one of the funnest live shows I've been to.

I need anne the man lessons
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #82 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:03:25 AM »

You know when there’s band that was kinda before your time when at their best? And when they were good they were just fucking astounding and released almost era defining records. But then everything else they’ve done for like the last 15 years has been just utterly terrible. Sometime those bands decide to play your town and you don’t wanna go cos you know you’ll hate it - but you also know you’ll likely go anyway. Yep, The Dwarves are coming to NZ.

They played Richmond on the "Blood Guts And Pussy" tour (unfortunately two years before I moved here) and caused a riot. There was a story in the local paper about it.

I completely agree with your assessment of their career track, and I'd probably go see them too.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #83 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:05:24 AM »

Also, honestly? I'm ready for the era of bands "performing their classic album" to be over. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense. For example, I still haven't heard an explanation of how Sonic Youth recreated "Providence" when they performed "Daydream Nation." Plus, I'd like to have at least a little bit of room to guess what I might hear, and in what order, when I go see a band.

Yes, I know, I'm a grumpy asshole, but seriously.

ieatrats

« Reply #84 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:17:38 AM »

I forgot to go see Polvo.  Oops.  narlus, they played Vibracobra!

I think someone needs to make a mix of all the TMBG songs that are great post Apollo.  We will trust your judgment if you agree Boat of Car and It's Not My Birthday are in their top 5 best.  I had the live one and my old roommate had that great science song cover one, but I think I owned all the lps up to a few years ago and then sold them because I hadn't had the patience to find the gold.  I can only remember Dirt Bike, Meet James Ensor (awesome!) and Hopeless Bleak Despair from all those.

Heh the only band where I've bought a record as a child (my first TMBG was the cassette single with They'll Need A Crane where all the bsides were equally great... that might be the greatest ep of all time actually, considering it appealed to my what 10 or 12 year old mind and still does), then later bought the same band's children's album, then bought an album of theirs for a child (the alphabet one for my niece).

merrittfan

« Reply #85 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:18:11 AM »

The fact that I got to see Vs. performed in it entirety makes me dig it well enough, though I understand your trepidation to the project in general.  I've never seen a band perform an album without also playing a normal set either before or after, though, so that's generally not a concern.

And, I've always wondered the same damn thing about "Providence."
davy

« Reply #86 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:47:45 AM »

But, yeah, They Might Be Giants as a whole and as a ten-years-older individual, ehhhhhh....

Meaning what exactly? I went to see them last year, was excited as hell about it, and had a fantastic time. One of the better concert experiences I've had in the past several years.

In related news, I thought The Else was pretty good.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #87 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:51:49 AM »

Merrittfan, if you're about to get taken down for not digging on TMBG now that you're not a kid anymore, then I guess we'll go down together. Because I totally agree.

Ignatius

« Reply #88 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:04:09 AM »

It's funny - I wouldn't have expected you to make the "I've grown out of it" argument, Andrew. But since it's davy on the other side, I'm not so surprised.
davy

« Reply #89 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:37:33 AM »

I'll go on the record as saying TMBG are a hell of a lot more mature than Fall Out Boy.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
ieatrats

« Reply #90 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »

Yeah why would it be so easy to pass off TMBG as grow outofable when whole genres of music that largely appeal to yutes, are largely made by young people are celebrated by geezers here?  Not even counting manufactured pop music for the yutes, also widely praised and celebrated here.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #91 on: Jul 31, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »

I dunno, TMBG's melodies to me seem catchy in that same way that commercials are catchy, like where they're so ridiculously obvious that you eventually start to hate them. I feel the same way about Reggie And The Full Effect, actually. They are the kind of thing that amused and entertained me when I was young for the exact same reasons that they get on my nerves now. I won't deny that they're good at what they do, I just hate what they do.

Ignatius

« Reply #92 on: Jul 31, 2009, 02:33:32 AM »

I can think of no greater insult than comparison to a Get Up Kids joke band.
merrittfan

« Reply #93 on: Jul 31, 2009, 07:30:13 AM »

Meaning what exactly? I went to see them last year, was excited as hell about it, and had a fantastic time. One of the better concert experiences I've had in the past several years.

Meaning other than Flood and Apollo 18, I don't really like a whole lot of their albums very much (individual songs, yeah, but not whole albums), and, yeah, what Andrew said, but only about 50% as serious about it.
Maaik

« Reply #94 on: Jul 31, 2009, 07:57:43 AM »

Meaning other than Flood and Apollo 18, I don't really like a whole lot of their albums very much (individual songs, yeah, but not whole albums), and, yeah, what Andrew said, but only about 50% as serious about it.

John Henry is almost uniformly awesome.

I need anne the man lessons
donblood
« Reply #95 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »

Yeah it is.  We discussed this a few months ago, and AO, who stopped with Apollo 11, had never heard the record.  Played it for her and she went kinda apeshit.
Thermofusion

« Reply #96 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »

I don't listen to TMBG but once in a great while anymore (mainly in the lead-up to seeing them live), but I wouldn't say it's that I've grown out of them. And I don't think their aesthetic is childish or juvenile; their first record, the self-titled one, is a straight-up avant garde record. It had to absolutely bewilder people when it first hit the shelves in '86. It remains their strangest album, by a considerable margin. So I've always viewed that record (and the run of records through Flood and Apollo 18) through the lens of an avant garde aesthetic steeped in humor and cultural reference; the same lens through which I'd view something like, say, Frank Zappa's We're Only in it for the Money.

So I think they legimately have avant garde roots (some of the interviews in Gigantic seemed to confirm this), and I also believe that when people label their music childish or juvenile or whatever, it's because they're misinterpreting that avant garde aesthetic as just trying to be "wacky." Plus, some of their best songs (e.g. "They'll Need a Crane") are really, really fucking sad, and quite adult in subject matter

Of course, they've long since ceased to be an avant garde band, but the trace elements are still there. And even now that they're doing actual records for children, the "kiddie songs" are still charmingly off-kilter and left-field.

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #97 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »

I can think of no greater insult than comparison to a Get Up Kids joke band.

I'd say it's more accurate to call them a Coalesce side project than a Get Up Kids side project. And a lot of people fucking love em, man.

P.S. I am not too into TMBG but I can't fuckin STAND Frank Zappa.
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2009, 11:44:54 AM by Andrew_TSKS » Logged

donblood
« Reply #98 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:06:18 PM »

Thermo you're absolutely right on about their first album.  I first heard it in...  8th grade or so?  and it was a revelation of "What the fuck is this beautiful thing and how are people allowed to make it?"  The impression has only grown stronger over the years.
narlus

« Reply #99 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »

I forgot to go see Polvo.  Oops.  narlus, they played Vibracobra!

damnit!   but good to see they can play it.  love that song, probably my favorite of theirs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: I Came Upon A Child Of God (upcoming concerts)
Jump to: