Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 25, 2014, 01:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657786 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Association Football in The British Isles  (Read 25858 times)
Nick Ink

« Reply #175 on: Feb 05, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »

I have to say - it certainly seems Newcastle are worse off for losing Carrol - 0-4 down after half an hour today.  Smile

edit: STOP PRESS: Newcastle find use for Carroll's £35million...

« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2011, 10:49:03 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #176 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:47:57 AM »

3-4 now  Shocked

edit - 4-4, what a comeback! unbelievable, Jeff!

Amazing day in the Premier League - 36 goals in 7 games, and 7 penalties - both all-time records - and there're still 5 minutes left
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2011, 11:51:25 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
kyle

« Reply #177 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:04:02 PM »

Fantastic!

Sadly I was nursing my girlfriend's hangover and missed a lot of the action, but caught up from replays and so on.

Man U lost to Wolves!

Saha scored four!

Seems like everyone really went for it today.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
kyle

« Reply #178 on: Feb 06, 2011, 04:43:23 PM »

Good Intentions

« Reply #179 on: Feb 13, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »

Having seen a bit of the latest Hammers game, I have to say, Nick, that I'm surprised that your heart hasn't given in supporting that lot. It's a real rollercoaster ride, isn't it?

I have to say I like the look of Piquionne, not only from this game, but from his performances in the previous four or five games.
Nick Ink

« Reply #180 on: Feb 13, 2011, 08:13:04 AM »

We can be quite exciting and expansive going forward, it's true, but something has gone very, very wrong at the back this season. Although we have Upson and Green (lacking in leadership qualities maybe, but players of undoubted quality) in there, the back four has been continually changed and shuffled and the new 'defensive coach', Wally Downes seems only to have made things worse.

Our other big problem is that we never play well for an entire match, and always have 20-45 minutes of utter collapse. The result is that despite at times playing some really good stuff (we beat Man Utd 4-0 this season, remember! - a match which includes my favourite moment of the season, bar none), we have just 5 wins in 27 league games, and one clean sheet in the last 17! 

Our run-in looks quite tough now, and we've missed crucial opportunities to pull away from the bottom (against rivals Birmingham and West Brom recently). It's 3 from Wolves, West Brom, West Ham, Wigan and Blackpool though, and our only hope is that, just like last year, there are 3 teams even worse than us.

Part of me quite likes the idea of going down though. I'm quite bored with the Premiership, the hype, the horrible, egotistical bastards that populate the teams of Chelsea and Manchester United, the money, Tottenham. The Championship could be a good laugh - Millwall are in there of course, and if Sheffield United manage to stay up, that will also be tasty. It would also give us a chance to have a clear out and let the youngsters like Collison, Tomkins, Hines, Sears etc. have a go.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2011, 08:15:13 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

Good Intentions

« Reply #181 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »

It'll be a bit of a waste to get the new, huge stadium and then get relegated, though.

The marking against the Baggies was absolutely abhorrent. There's quite a few teams in the league with the same kind of defensive worries, it looks like. I think you could well find three worse teams. In any case, as Ruud Gullit likes to say football is a game of mistakes, so you've had a lot to look at lately!
kyle

« Reply #182 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:04:42 AM »

Anyone catch the champions league yesterday? Crazy game! Here's a highlight photo:

[img width= height=]http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20110216/capt.photo_1297820572706-3-0.jpg[/img]

Quote from: Harry Redknapp
''There would be only one winner there - Joe! I'd have my money on Joe. Of all the people to pick on, don't pick on Joe.''

Good Intentions

« Reply #183 on: Feb 17, 2011, 02:27:29 AM »

Absolutely fantastic CL game between Arsenal and Barcelona yesterday. A magnificent and exciting display of football. 20 minute overview of the match here, and tactical breakdown here.
Good Intentions

« Reply #184 on: Feb 17, 2011, 02:34:02 AM »

I saw the Gattuso incident in replays after the fact. Gattuso is one of the hardest men I've ever seen football -- one hell of a defensive midfielder -- but there are reports that his victim, Joe Jordan, isn't shy of some physical action either. Even though he's in his late fifties, he doesn't seem at all perturbed by having a screaming enforcer grab him by the throat (and later attempt a headbutt).
Nick Ink

« Reply #185 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »

I have no interest in Arsenal or Barcelona, but I loved Joe Jordan as a kid:

kyle

« Reply #186 on: Feb 17, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »

Absolutely fantastic CL game between Arsenal and Barcelona yesterday. A magnificent and exciting display of football. 20 minute overview of the match here, and tactical breakdown here.

GI - I'm glad to see we frequent the same websites. Also, that was a hell of a game. Arsenal did a hell of a job intercepting passes and breaking down the intensive passing work. I sadly missed the last 15minutes because my ride to work arrived and I had no choice but to leave... only to arrive at work to see them shaking hands and then the highlight reel. HELL of a goal by Van Persie. Just all round great job by the gunners, though I'll be mighty surprised if they can repeat at Camp Nou.

Nick - I definitely spent that afternoon watching Joe Jordan highlights. Guy was a beast.

And yes. Gattuso is a fantastic pitbull of a player, no doubt one of the best Defensive Midfielders in the game, he just lost his temper far too easily.

And I've heard Jordan wasn't exactly saying the nicest things to the guy either.

Nick Ink

« Reply #187 on: Feb 27, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Good Intentions

« Reply #188 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »

Good on your boys there.

Did you guys see what Rooney did in the Wigan game? He might be a good footballer, but that kid is a vile little shit. I would have hoped that Ferguson would have enforced a bit more discipline, but instead apparently it would be a witch hunt to go after Rooney.

Well, get out the kindling.
Nick Ink

« Reply #189 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:19:46 AM »

I didn't see it, but he does have some form with that kind of thing.

I'm not really interested in Wayne Rooney, but even in my own humble experiences of competetive sport, I remember feeling that at times I'd lost my temper or behaved less than sportingly at times of frustration. I can't imagine what it's like to have thnousands of people jeering you and a nation's red-tops sticking the boot in. I think football sometimes puts a lot of pressure on the people least equipped to handle it, is all I'm saying.

Good Intentions

« Reply #190 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:23:08 AM »

Most people don't respond by elbowing their opposition.
kyle

« Reply #191 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:29:15 AM »

Either of you follow the Bundesliga? Dortmund is killing it, twelve points over second place. This kid Mario Gotze is a beast. There is such a ridiculous amount of young talent coming out of Germany right now. I'll be surprised if they don't make it to the final in Brazil in a few years.

Good Intentions

« Reply #192 on: Feb 28, 2011, 03:59:14 AM »

I follow it as best I can through footytube.com . I have to agree with your opinion of Gotze.
kyle

« Reply #193 on: Feb 28, 2011, 03:27:32 PM »

I follow it as best I can through footytube.com . I have to agree with your opinion of Gotze.

Same, though at the bar I work at we keep the two soccer channels on that come with the basic sports package, GolTV plays Bundesliga starting around midnight so I can catch games here and there. Mainz and Dortmund have been really exciting this year. Those games are so fast paced and crazy. I love it.

EDIT: And now Gotze is linked to a trade to Man Utd. No surprise there, they need a solid center mid since Scholesy is getting on in years.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2011, 09:07:47 PM by kyle » Logged

kyle

« Reply #194 on: Mar 10, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »

So for those who saw it, do you think that was possibly the most uncalled for red card you've seen in awhile in that Arsenal vs Barca game?

Nick Ink

« Reply #195 on: Mar 11, 2011, 02:57:58 AM »

I've seen it since, and I think it was a moment of pure brilliance on the part of the referee.

Johnp

« Reply #196 on: Mar 11, 2011, 05:20:03 AM »

My Man U mate reminded me that Wenger wasn't fuming when the ref did the same to Denis Irwin against Arsenal in '99. Still hurting.

Hard to feel any sympathy for Van Percy. Ever.

Nos vertus ne sont, le plus souvent, que des vices déguisés.
kyle

« Reply #197 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »

Whatever. That was a horrid call, through and through. Lift your prejudice, there for whatever justified reasons, and see that giving a red card for not being able to hear a whistle over 90,000 screaming Catalonians is completely ludicrous.

Hate the guy if you choose to. I am personally indifferent. I have no affinity towards either of those teams, but I hate when a referees call has an impact that is equal to it's lack of necessity. Reflects poorly on everyone involved.

Nick Ink

« Reply #198 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:01:22 AM »

Bollocks! A bit of controversy is all part of the game's appeal. Plus, it's Arsenal - it's funny.

The problem with all this Champions League rubbish is that it wrongly suggests that most football fans are interested in skill, tactics, technical ability, high standards etc, when the truth is, they couldn't care less. Football is about belonging to a group and deriving pleasure from either a) the exploits of that team, or b) the downfall of rivals. When that downfall is undeserved or the result of a miscarriage of justice, the pleasure is doubly sweet.

Good Intentions

« Reply #199 on: Mar 15, 2011, 06:20:57 AM »

But the Champions League ensures that the largest groups of frothing-at-the-mouth glory-hunters possible face each other! It's the perfection of the form!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Association Football in The British Isles
Jump to: