Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 31, 2014, 09:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Author Topic: FUCK SUMMER  (Read 20105 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #450 on: Jun 29, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »

Damn, dude! Man, the fucking South. Hot as balls but, hey, at least no bedbugs (yet)

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #451 on: Jun 29, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »

And we have plans to take Finn to the Sunflower Festival on Saturday, along with a couple who has a 1 year-old daughter.

I think they might bail, though.

I fucking would, no doubt. I'm not even taking Marin outside today until the sun starts to go down.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #452 on: Jun 29, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »

Damn, dude! Man, the fucking South. Hot as balls but, hey, at least no bedbugs (yet)

We will melt the bedbugs.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Thermofusion

« Reply #453 on: Jun 29, 2012, 11:39:08 AM »

I think my solution to bedbugs would just be to release a bunch of praying mantises and let them wreak brutal savagery on all of em. That's how O.G. southerners keep their gardens pest-free (that and spraying a mix of cayenne pepper sauce, garlic and soap) so why wouldn't that work with them bedbugs? Course then you got mantises running cray all over your domicile.

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #454 on: Jun 29, 2012, 11:46:02 AM »

Holy shit yo, the *instant* I read that bit about the praying mantises running cray, I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye and looked down to see a fairly large spider crawling along my keyboard wrist-rest. I almost tore the top off my desk leaping out of my chair. Scared the fuck out of me.

Thermofusion

« Reply #455 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »

Insect armegeddon. How big are the cockroaches in your parts? They fuckin' big here. They look like little MMA fighters, running around wearing little Tapout shirts w/ 6 legholes cut out.

triple paisley minimum
mixed cats

« Reply #456 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »

Mantises would be kind of crummy inside.. They're movement based hunters so they'd end up attacking you a lot, and bedbugs are just so small.. But if you hatched babies indoors they might eat bedbugs. And then each other.  I mean it's kind of cool to suddenly have hundreds of tiny perfect mantises in your bedroom but it is also incredibly inconvenient to things like sleeping and putting anything down on a horizontal surface.

Also being 9months pregnant in this heat is terrible

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Thermofusion

« Reply #457 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »

Informative post! I guess you'd have to be driven to near-insanity by bedbugs to attempt something like that, walking around placing mantis egg-cases all over your apartment and giggling in high pitches.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #458 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »

It was 100 the other day, before the heat index. Yesterday it was 98 and the heat index was like 116. Fuck this. I'm a dude who sweats a bunch anyway, and I'm just constantly soggy. If I go outside and sit perfectly still for like 15 minutes, I'm fuckin' drenched.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
mixed cats

« Reply #459 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »

Informative post! I guess you'd have to be driven to near-insanity by bedbugs to attempt something like that, walking around placing mantis egg-cases all over your apartment and giggling in high pitches.
I had pet tree frogs as a teenager and twice I left mantis egg cases in their tank so they could go nuts and eat the hatchlings. But the mantises were small enough to get out of the mesh top of the tank and were EVERYWHERE, not just being frogsnacks.

Thermofusion

« Reply #460 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »

Kinda horrifying and kinda awesome all at once! So they were actually running around the house? How did you guys handle that? The egg case in my garden hasn't hatched yet but I've only had it up a few weeks.

Josh I'm a very sweaty dude too so I feel your pain, man.

triple paisley minimum
mixed cats

« Reply #461 on: Jun 29, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »

Well they didn't really get in the whole house, they mostly stayed in my bedroom, and I encouraged their escape through open windows. The frogs ate some. I found little desiccated corpses in corners for months.

davy

« Reply #462 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »

Mantises would be kind of crummy inside.. They're movement based hunters so they'd end up attacking you a lot, and bedbugs are just so small.. But if you hatched babies indoors they might eat bedbugs. And then each other.  I mean it's kind of cool to suddenly have hundreds of tiny perfect mantises in your bedroom but it is also incredibly inconvenient to things like sleeping and putting anything down on a horizontal surface.

I know someone this happened to! She had to go through some pretty unfortunate lengths to get the thousands of tiny mantises out of her Christmas tree and house.

She now has a pretty sweet tattoo of a praying mantis on her shoulder, so something good came of it.

Thermofusion

« Reply #463 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »

Praying mantises are badasses. I'm not sure if I'd be disappointed having them in my house! They'd just become your posse, rollin 1,000 deep

triple paisley minimum
mixed cats

« Reply #464 on: Jun 29, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »

Mantids are my favorite insects.. the coolest dudes are called wandering violins, but orchid mantises are pretty sweet too

I had a pet mantis named Tim for a while, just a regular Chinese mantis I found in the yard of my old job. She got pretty huge and it was awesome.

Thermofusion

« Reply #465 on: Jun 29, 2012, 03:37:53 PM »

Man I should keep a few for pets. They're savages, given to brutality, but they're kind of sophisticated too. They're philosopher-warriors.

triple paisley minimum
Good Intentions

« Reply #466 on: Jun 29, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

The heatwave is on here: http://www.meteociel.fr/accueil/humidex.php?archive=1&jour=29&mois=6&annee=2012&heure=15&mode=&sub=OK and as ever I am still firmly in the "FUCK SUMMER" camp.
Those are some very high numbers around the Mediterranean. 47 north of Valencia!
edison

« Reply #467 on: Jun 30, 2012, 01:50:50 AM »

Well, to be clear, those are humidex numbers (taking into account heat+humidity), not temperatures! The temperatures are luckily nowhere near those in Georgia, thank God!

Still, I couldn't sleep last night because I was sweating so much Sad
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #468 on: Jun 30, 2012, 05:49:19 AM »

the fact that I'm in the green zone on that map and already complaining does not bode well

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Good Intentions

« Reply #469 on: Jun 30, 2012, 06:10:42 AM »

Well, to be clear, those are humidex numbers (taking into account heat+humidity), not temperatures!
Nonetheless, where I grew up in the subtropics, the highest temperature I had on the humidex was 53 degrees. Unless that was a different heat-index: the 53 was when the plain temperature was 46 or so, from memory, and the humidity would have been as close to 100% as possible.
edison

« Reply #470 on: Jun 30, 2012, 06:19:19 AM »

the fact that I'm in the green zone on that map and already complaining does not bode well

Yeah, you green zone guys have it easy! I've been in the yellow zone again since 10 this morning, but there are huge storms on the forecast for tonight, and then a few days of rain with cooler temperatures if all goes well. The rain's not ideal of course, but still, very, very much looking forward to it - I feel like this weather is draining the life out of me.
Good Intentions

« Reply #471 on: Jun 30, 2012, 06:20:45 AM »

Trying to find weather records for my home town (rather than relying of my memory of 10 years ago) lead me to discover that it (rather, the district it sits in) is a sister city of Milwaukee! I'm certain Jeb will have many fond memories of his people's close connection to the folk of Empangeni, Ngwelezana and Esikhawini.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #472 on: Jun 30, 2012, 06:52:59 AM »

Neat!

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #473 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »

Trying to find weather records for my home town (rather than relying of my memory of 10 years ago) lead me to discover that it (rather, the district it sits in) is a sister city of Milwaukee! I'm certain Jeb will have many fond memories of his people's close connection to the folk of Empangeni, Ngwelezana and Esikhawini.

Huh. That is neat!

No memories, alas.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jess

« Reply #474 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:52:23 AM »

My pet collector ex had some kind of fancy mantis as a pet at some point. It was pretty awesome.

Today is Pride in Lex, and the forecast is for a high of 102░Śnot sure what the heat index is going to be, but I imagine considerably above that. I can't imagine being in drag in this kind of heat. Going to go, but with plans to retreat to indoor spots periodically.

Also, I recently noticed that I went from being a lifelong prolific sweater to a minimal one, thanks I believe to a medication interaction. Suddenly this kind of weather doesn't seem nearly so bad, even if that also makes me at higher risk for heatstroke.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: FUCK SUMMER
Jump to: