Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 24, 2014, 08:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657775 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Finding God in music.  (Read 7941 times)
dieblucasdie

« Reply #125 on: Sep 14, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »

http://www.rightrightright.com/

A documentary Heather Whinna did (she's an Electrical Audio person, "recorded" a couple Silkworm albums, is credited as an engineer on a bunch of Albini albums) .

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #126 on: Sep 14, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

Wow. I can't afford it right now, but I may have to see about purchasing that DVD at some point. Or the K documentary. Or both.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Thermofusion

« Reply #127 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:33:47 PM »

I CAN ONNNNLLEEE IMAGINE

triple paisley minimum
narlus

« Reply #128 on: Sep 14, 2009, 05:52:56 PM »

i can vouch for two truly religious experiences yesterday...Boadrum 9 and Boris playing _Feedbacker_.  seriously. 

Doctor Bob

« Reply #129 on: Sep 15, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »

A colleague just told a story at coffee break this morning about attending a recital in a town in Austria.  Apparently, a man in the audience had a heart attack during a piece of music and died on the spot, and the concert was stopped immediately and never resumed.  According to his daughter, the piece then being played was his all time favourite piece of music.

I don't know if he believed in any god, but he obviously had a passionate relationship with music.

(Re the religious/spiritual exchanges above, I often think of a line [paraphrased here] from Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children when this topic comes up, as it gets close to my own relationship with religion [12 years of Catholic school; not now a believer]: ...knocked forever into that middle place, unable to worship a god in whose existence he could not wholly disbelieve.)

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
billy goat redemption

« Reply #130 on: Sep 15, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »

very fun topic..interesting...
mountmccabe

« Reply #131 on: Sep 15, 2009, 10:46:14 PM »

I think today's template is Jars of Clay. They were the first real crossover outside of Amy Grant, right?

Sure, but I'm more referring to bands that specifically did NOT cross over. The 77s would be another good example. I feel like it's all down to the fact that, starting probably in the late 70s, Christian rock was its own little world, completely separate from the "secular" rock culture, and therefore current Christian bands are influenced by previous Christian bands far more heavily than they are by the mainline rock tradition of the past 30 years. Jars of Clay are probably far more influential within the Christian subculture than outside of it, but a lot of other bands that might be heavily influential within the Christian subculture have absolutely no influence outside of that subculture. So they distort the music those bands make.

Just a theory.

Daniel Amos are a hugely influential band amongst Christian Rock/Alternative circles but I don't know that I've ever heard them mentioned outside of that context.  Same with the bands that kinda followed in their wake in the early 80s, the Choir and Adam Again and LSU and the 77's (as mentioned.)

Petra was another good example; they were THE template/front of the pack for Christian Rock/Hard Rock.  Unless you want to go back to Larry Norman, I suppose... though he actually had non-backwater recognition/influence/etc.

Wait a minute... wasn't there a thread wherein I uploaded mp3s of some of these and later artists?  To the search function!

You know a pancake?
billy goat redemption

« Reply #132 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »

ill be honest, i am some form of a Christian and i will very openly admit that about 98% of Christian music, is the most irritating and fake bullshit i ever had the misfortune of listening to.  the people of jars of clay have musical talent, and im sure alot of the other "artists" do too however, they generally play the same basic chord structures and sing shit to god that is obviously lies.  like "Lord i give you my heart, i give you my soul, have your way in me"  and "i lay down everything before you" things to that sort,  heres my immediate response.  NO YOU DONT YOU FUCKING LIAR!! so thats why i dont listen to Christian music. 

thats my rant for the morning.
davy

« Reply #133 on: Sep 16, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »

ill be honest, i am some form of a Christian

ahem.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #134 on: Sep 17, 2009, 02:20:12 PM »

Get thee behind me Stryper! I've played your records backwards. I've seen your antics in the Green Room

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Charming Tedious

« Reply #135 on: Nov 08, 2009, 11:55:06 AM »

Owl City has the #1 single in the country.
coldforge

« Reply #136 on: Nov 08, 2009, 12:08:15 PM »

Oh, I heard those guys a couple days ago. I was truly a little amazed at how blatantly they were willing to rip off Postal Service.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
DanielBurns11

« Reply #137 on: Nov 08, 2009, 12:57:02 PM »

No fuckin' shit. Just caught the video on VH1, dude seems like he's trying his damnedest to sound exactly like Ben Gibbard. That being said, I love the Postal Service and liked the song.

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #138 on: Nov 08, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »

Owl City song is evil and must be stopped. Wrote about why a week ago.

mixed cats

« Reply #139 on: Nov 08, 2009, 01:41:21 PM »

Owl City song is evil and must be stopped. Wrote about why a week ago.
the lyrics of the song reminds me of Paris Hilton's "Stars Are Blind" or whatever the fuck that travesty was.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
coldforge

« Reply #140 on: Nov 08, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »

You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies lit up the world as I fell asleep
‘Cause they’d fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You’d think me rude but I’d just stand and stare
This is fun to sing to the melody of the verse of that Postal Service song. The one about freckles.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #141 on: Nov 08, 2009, 01:50:02 PM »

You would not believe your eyes
If ten million fireflies lit up the world as I fell asleep
‘Cause they’d fill the open air
And leave teardrops everywhere
You’d think me rude but I’d just stand and stare
This is fun to sing to the melody of the verse of that Postal Service song. The one about freckles.

You mean this one?

DanielBurns11

« Reply #142 on: Nov 08, 2009, 02:29:08 PM »

I totally agree with the awfulness of the lyrics, didn't really catch them while watching the video, but yeah, some of the worst I've ever heard. But I still like the Postal Service-y catchy as hellness of the tune

Maaik

« Reply #143 on: Nov 09, 2009, 09:26:50 AM »

"I get a thousand hugs from ten thousand lightning bugs"??!!  You didn't fucking catch that?

I had to turn it off right there.  The music was fine, whatever, but the lyrics are an unstoppable cringe-for-all and I couldn't take it.

I need anne the man lessons
Ignatius

« Reply #144 on: Nov 09, 2009, 11:53:37 AM »

If you're conditioned by the Postal Service, maybe the lyrics don't stand out. "I/ am thinking it's a sign" is about as bad an opener as I've encountered, never mind the tripe that follows.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #145 on: Nov 09, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »

I don't much like the sound of Owl City, and I had a bad experience with my recent discovery of Lights, who is basically a female version of the Owl City guy. I was super-charmed by a video of her playing one of her songs on an acoustic guitar, then checked out one of her real videos and discovered that all her music is digital, synthesized, drum-machined and autotuned into oblivion.

I have a feeling that in 10 to 20 years we'll be looking back at the autotune era and blanching at the horrible production ideas that ruined 5 years of music in the same way that we now look back in horror at the introduction of digital recording technology and the abominations it foisted upon the world of recorded music in the late 80s.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
ellaguru

« Reply #146 on: Nov 09, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »

... do we have to wait 10 to 20 years?

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
lordokrakon

« Reply #147 on: Nov 09, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »

I don't much like the sound of Owl City, and I had a bad experience with my recent discovery of Lights, who is basically a female version of the Owl City guy. I was super-charmed by a video of her playing one of her songs on an acoustic guitar, then checked out one of her real videos and discovered that all her music is digital, synthesized, drum-machined and autotuned into oblivion.

I have a feeling that in 10 to 20 years we'll be looking back at the autotune era and blanching at the horrible production ideas that ruined 5 years of music in the same way that we now look back in horror at the introduction of digital recording technology and the abominations it foisted upon the world of recorded music in the late 80s.

May I slightly call shenanigans to you Andrew on chastising autotune, when you in fact were the one who gave the final push for me to give Lady Gaga a chance.  Now I'm hooked.  There have been recent artists that have used autotune correctly, and then there is T-Pain. 

Be excellent to each other.... PARTY ON DUDES!
narlus

« Reply #148 on: Nov 09, 2009, 08:49:14 PM »

alex

« Reply #149 on: Nov 10, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »

Fuck you guys for making me listen to that Owl City song, by the way.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Finding God in music.
Jump to: