Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 30, 2014, 02:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Girl Talk - All Day  (Read 2660 times)
dieblucasdie

« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »

I was listening to this the other day while working out (of course) and was thinking that it's kind of odd and out-of-character how long he just let's "Possum Kingdom" rock out, then I realized that I saw both Girl Talk and the Toadies at ACL a few years, AND that Girl Talk had a more prominent stage/time slot.  A wonder how many times that sort of thing has happened with artists he's sampled, now?

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
nonotyet

« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »

He's been using that sample for a while. I have a live set that predates Feed The Animals where it's pretty prominent somewhere or other, I don't remember

edit so I think it is probably a thing where he finally figured out how he wanted to use it.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2010, 04:53:41 PM by nonotyet » Logged
nonotyet

« Reply #27 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »

dude nny you live in appleton?  I know a girl from there who also lives in milwaukee.  you probably don't know each other though.  is it a big town?

Nope. I live in Milwaukee. I just found that article on a Google search.
peacocks

« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »

oh alright

dick-check your priviledge
dieblucasdie

« Reply #29 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:13:03 PM »

Oh, yeah, I wasn't trying to say, "Here's where he got the idea," I was trying to say, "He's more popular than many of the artists he samples now, to the point where he"s often on the bill above them."  Which may say more about underappreciation of the The Toadies than anything, but hey, just an idle observation.

coldforge

« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »

My best of 2010:

1. Toadies - Feeler
2. Toadies - Feeler
3. Toadies - Feeler
4. Flaming Tusk - Old, Blackened Century
5. Toadies - Feeler!

l'era del terzo mondo.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:37:22 PM »

I listened to about 3/4 of this record while doing some work the other day. It exists at the disputed frontier between pleasantly ignorable and actively obnoxious. But I've got a big hard drive, so I guess I'll keep it.

think 'on the road.'
nonotyet

« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:59:11 AM »

A few months before All Day came out I came across this:
Uptime/Downtime
and I downloaded it because at the time I was despairing that a new Girl Talk would ever come out and I wanted something to take to the gym.
it is by these people, or this person, I dunno, called the Kleptones, and I am wondering because I listened to it again last night a)who the hell are the Kleptones (are they the British, slightly more lethargic/druggy Girl Talk?) and b)what people think about this. There are a LOT of the same samples that were on Feed The Animals and I find the fact that he or she or they used even more of the songs sampled quite mysterious, and there are parts on Downtime in particular that just lose me entirely, but there is a pretty excellent mashup of "Hella Good" and "Don't Touch Me." Anyway, it is free.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »

They've been around a while--they got internet-famous pre-Girl Talk and pre-Dangermouse for Yoshimi Battles the Hip-Hop Robots and A Night at the Hip-Hopera in those innocent days before such things were commonplace (and usually poorly-produced novelties).  The latter of those two is actually really good, I still listen to it from time to time.  I had no idea they were still doing stuff though.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:36:22 AM »

A Night at the Hip-Hopera

I had never heard of this before and I find I must listen to it ASAP, which will happen shortly thanks to the magic of Google. 

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »

on topic, "Generals gathered in their masses | GET OUT THE WAY | Just like witches at black masses | GET OUT THE WAY BITCH GET OUT THE WAY" was pretty much the sound of my interest in Girl Talk withering, I don't know, something about it just struck me wrong and I didn't enjoy this newer one very much, though I had dug the previous one.

I'm not pretending I'm too good for it, just didn't care for this particular one, maybe I'll like the next one better.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Greg Nog

« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:05:59 AM »

Really?  Man, the opening is one of my favorite parts of the album!  Although I think my favorite mix is Wale's "Pretty Girls" with Beck's "Loser".
Babar

« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:12:07 AM »

Have you seen the old people reviewing Girl Talk? Pretty cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsZrxv0H8dg&t=3m57s

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Girl Talk - All Day
Jump to: