Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 20, 2014, 08:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657896 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 79 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Pavement Reunion?  (Read 33555 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #125 on: Sep 18, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »

They just added a third show. Guess I won't be buying that new computer after all.

What blows my mind is that you actually feel the need to brag about this.

Really though I'm half kidding. D probably won't stand for these being sold. But it's nice to know that if I'm in a financial crunch in the next 12 months I've got those sitting around.

*Although I just called my friend back home to see if he'd like tickets to the third show if I could get them and he informed me that he'd already grabbed four for the 9/22 show and resold the second pair to cover the cost of the first.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009, 01:29:52 PM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
Danen

« Reply #126 on: Sep 18, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »

I will surely attend any other tour stops within distance.

Why would I drive from Colorado for these shows when chances are they'll be in better form by the time they hit Denver? Or are the NYC shows the LAST shows? Wouldn't that make the people who actually got show #1 tickets feel bad - turns out you just got first ANNOUNCED show tickets.

As with MBV, Pixies, Stooges, Gang of Four and Big Star (etc), this will be less of a deal the more shows they play. If it were really just three shows, then it would be stellar to be there. This will probably turn into a "now and then" type of thing, though, and that's almost depressing to me. Let me guess, we'll have one show be all "S&E" another be all "CRCR" and maybe a "WZ" one (admittedly, the latter offers some intrigue to me, just to see how that whole damn thing would sound together on stage). I REALLY hope Malk avoids that and makes this one-off tour just that. That would be neat. Gang of Four (at least as the original, full band) seemed to do that. No shame there.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #127 on: Sep 18, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »

Well, they already mentioned that they're in talks with Coachella.  Other summer festivals are probably likely, at least.  Who knows how full-blown the tour will be, though.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
sashwap

« Reply #128 on: Sep 18, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »

fourth show!
ieatrats

« Reply #129 on: Sep 18, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »

calisse this is ridiculous.

Pavement is Michael Jackson in NYC.  37 sold out shows in 37 days!

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #130 on: Sep 18, 2009, 05:51:34 PM »

They just added a third show. Guess I won't be buying that new computer after all.

What blows my mind is that you actually feel the need to brag about this.

Hah, LazyEyeLou was actually pollo's alt.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
alex

« Reply #131 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »

I don't know what you're talking about, or why it might be relevant to my post.
davy

« Reply #132 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:09:38 PM »

Gang of Four (at least as the original, full band) seemed to do that. No shame there.

Notably, though, Gang of Four also rerecorded all their best material*, and if Pavement stoops to that I will be sorely disappointed in them.

*I actually thought it sounded better than the originals

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
davy

« Reply #133 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »

are there any notable songs that NEVER were played live? i hope they throw in some surprises.

I never saw them play Filmore Jive, which would've been something. Pretty sure they got around to all my favorites, though. They even whipped out "Give It a Day" the last time I saw them.

The best song I ever saw Pavement perform was "Fight This Generation."

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #134 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »

I don't know what you're talking about, or why it might be relevant to my post.

He might have been before your time. He posted here for a while and it seemed like all he talked about was scamming on people. After like a month he made a thread about how he scalped tickets, which caused everyone to call him a scumbag, and he was basically unrepentant and acted like we were all losers for having morals about stuff. After the verbal drubbing he got in that thread, he left.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #135 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:19:13 AM »

C'mon tisskiss don't do me like that

think 'on the road.'
Danen

« Reply #136 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:24:02 AM »

Gang of Four (at least as the original, full band) seemed to do that. No shame there.

Notably, though, Gang of Four also rerecorded all their best material*, and if Pavement stoops to that I will be sorely disappointed in them.

Good heavens I forgot all about that! Whoah. Yeah, I guess that's the OTHER way to do a reunion: the re-record thing. No, that's not their style at all, thank goodness.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #137 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »

This thread is pretty shockingly devoid of old-timer stories

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #138 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:39:25 AM »

old-timer stories?

donblood
« Reply #139 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:41:51 AM »

There was one time in college that I took mushrooms and the intro to a Pavement song was stuck in my head all night

Or the time that my little brother liked Shady Lane when it came out

Or the time that I put "Grave Architecture" on a mix tape

There was also that time that I almost went to see a Pavement show
Ignatius

« Reply #140 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:43:07 AM »

Chris?
mixed cats

« Reply #141 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:43:34 AM »

if you're gonna put "Grave Architecture" on a mixtape, you have to make it the first song, so it's welcoming- "come on in!"

..which I totally did once

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
davy

« Reply #142 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:52:10 AM »

It really might be my favorite Pavement song.

mixed cats

« Reply #143 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:56:22 AM »

mine is probably AT&T

donblood
« Reply #144 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:56:58 AM »

Chris?

Me or my little brother?  Either way, no.

if you're gonna put "Grave Architecture" on a mixtape, you have to make it the first song, so it's welcoming- "come on in!"

I didn't, but I used it early on the first side to bring the mood up after a troublesome song, so I think I basically did what you're describing.

x-post davy I actually think mine might be "Transport is Arranged."  It's kind of a masterpiece.
mixed cats

« Reply #145 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:59:43 AM »

yes, that works very well too!

Ignatius

« Reply #146 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:03:05 AM »

Confirming general concept of pavement guy from the 90s who had a little brother that liked shady lane. My real brother plays keyboards & ~guitar so I know it's not you.

edit: oops x-
donblood
« Reply #147 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:11:56 AM »

Yeah & actually now that I think about it I know two other little brother / little sister people.  One Shady Lane, one Crooked Rain given as inspired Christmas gift.
ieatrats

« Reply #148 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:20:41 AM »

[Shady Lane] might be my favorite Pavement song.

yep.  When yr right yr right.

Though actually am I the only person for whom in a general way CRCR kind of sticks in your craw as a sophomore slump that sucks but everyone says is great?

E.g. Fillmore Jive sucks for me by default because any song about popular music sucks by default (though as a Pavement fan I'd suggest it's the best song ever that sucks).  The disses in Range Life render it lame (even if the narrator is ironic, still dude).  The rest of the album sounds to me like leftover ideas from S+E and not knowing where to go next.

I think Pavement is a great band who shouldn't have been making albums.  Give It A Day is the best evidence for this for me.  And Watery (and if you happen to know this was simply outtakes from S+E, please don't post to say so heh).

Not to say I don't like listening to their albums.  I do.  A lot.  Before they broke up I said they were my favorite band that wasn't broken up.  I can't help but wonder though what they would have been like if they just issued a single every three weeks for 12 years though.  Two of my favorite tunes, three maybe, are tossed off b-sides (Easily Fooled, Kris Kraft and the Tortoise and the Hand Grenade) (and Easily Fooled is in my top 5).

elpollodiablo

« Reply #149 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:24:04 AM »

No offense but you're the type of Pavement fan I wouldn't mind selling these tickets to for three or four hundo

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Pavement Reunion?
Jump to: