Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 17, 2014, 06:11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658293 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 65 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Pavement Reunion?  (Read 35379 times)
davy

« on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »

Quote from: Brooklyn Vegan
One of the most popular indie rock rumor topics of this decade is the reformation of Pavement.

According to reliable sources, it's finally happening in 2010! There will be multiple, possibly four, nights of shows at NYC's Central Park Summerstage in September of that year. That could be part of a tour. That could be the end of a tour, the middle of a tour, or even the beginning of a tour, but it seems reasonable to speculate that they might make their official comeback at Coachella in April.

It's also time to start guessing who might be the big curator of September 2010's ATP NY festival (the job Flaming Lips had this year, and My Bloody Valentine the year before that). Might as well put Pavement high on the list of possibilities for that too.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2009/09/the_pavement_re.html

Question Question Question Question Question

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
reebty

« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:23:05 AM »

Pavement for Big Day Out 2010, please.
davy

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:28:46 AM »

Damn. Has it really been a decade?  Shocked

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:38:11 AM »

Haha wow. Remember back in the day when bands stayed broken up? When did that end, 1990?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
diesel_powered

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:51:01 AM »

Goddammit, where's the acrimony these days?

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:51:54 AM »

Honestly, I shouldn't post that in the Pavement reunion thread, because I'd love to finally get a chance to see them. But still, it's like every band gets back together at some point these days. It's weird.

diesel_powered

« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:54:22 AM »

Yeah, I can't complain. I never saw them the first time around, so I'll take any opportunity I get.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
dieblucasdie

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »

Haha wow. Remember back in the day when bands stayed broken up? When did that end, 1990?

Have you ever watched loudQUIETloud?  It's pretty mediocre overall, but I think the dynamics re: the economic and creative pressures to reunite are really interesting.

I hope

A) Pavement reunites for fun summer tours.

B) Never ever releases a new album ever. 

(inevitable cut to blucas placing a self-titled Pavement album #1 on his 2011 year-end list)
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2009, 02:40:08 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
davy

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2009, 02:37:44 AM »

Yeah, I honestly don't know what I'd think about a new Pavement record. I've buried that relative already.

I just can't fathom a scenario in which a Pavement reunion record would make any sense at all.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2009, 02:44:15 AM »

And waaaait... I've been around this board long enough to remember SOMEONE who was awfully excited about seeing a recently-reunited Dinosaur, Jr. 

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2009, 02:46:24 AM »

You make it a point to deliberately ignore any statements of equivocation that might undermine your opportunity to dis someone, don't you?

dieblucasdie

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2009, 09:34:59 AM »

Yep!

narlus

« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:47:42 AM »

Honestly, I shouldn't post that in the Pavement reunion thread, because I'd love to finally get a chance to see them. But still, it's like every band gets back together at some point these days. It's weird.

Maaik

« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »

An open letter to the MTV Buzz Bin, circa 1994:

Hey guys!  Now's your chance to cash in!  Come on back, we love ya.

-Myke

I need anne the man lessons
Snarfyguy

« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2009, 12:13:57 PM »

I thought the opportunity to have a reunion was the reason they broke up in the first place.

So forward looking!

(Hope they get Gary Young back in; they were never as much without him.)
sashwap

« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »

(Hope they get Gary Young back in; they were never as much without him.)

you lie.
Snarfyguy

« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »

Sorry, I intended to write "never as much fun without him."
davy

« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »

Well, that's probably true.

Danen

« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2009, 03:24:53 PM »

And waaaait... I've been around this board long enough to remember SOMEONE who was awfully excited about seeing a recently-reunited Dinosaur, Jr. 

Speaking of Dinosaur and the prospects of reunion records, dare I mention that Dinosaur have TWO solid reunion records under their belts now?

And Mission of Burma, based on what I've heard of the third record, now have THREE solid (okay, better than solid - "Obliterati" is near perfect) reunion records.

And then there's the Stooges, et al...

I've been proud of the Pixies: "Bam Thwock" was embarrassing and they knew it. Kim is in the right place to deny the record. Also, the Jicks are a great band in their own right and it would put on the table how serious Malkmus is about that music. I was quite pleased with "Real Emotional Trash," so I'm betting he keeps his creative powers there and does the MVB/Pixies thing for the reunion shows.

Which reminds me, didn't Kevin Shields say he was putting together a compilation of the unreleased songs from the 90's and some new stuff? Did I, after all these years, still fall for it or is this thing actually gonna come out?
davy

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2009, 04:19:09 PM »

the Jicks are a great band in their own right and it would put on the table how serious Malkmus is about that music. I was quite pleased with "Real Emotional Trash," so I'm betting he keeps his creative powers there and does the MVB/Pixies thing for the reunion shows.

This is what I'd hope.

Pitchfork has picked up the story:

http://pitchfork.com/news/36505-holy-shit-pavement-reunion-is-real/

davy

« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »

I have to start asking myself whether I'd travel to NYC for this.

On one hand, I've seen them 5 times. On the other hand, this is different.

narlus

« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »

i only saw the band once, pre S&E.  i'd go see 'em.

davy

« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »

I saw them once for Brighten the Corners and three times for Terror Twilight (2 pre-release, 1 post-release). So I guess that's just four times. Seems like there was another somewhere.

Maaik

« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »

Honestly, I thought they were pretty boring live.  Until they tore into "Stereo."  I mean, a reunion show would probably be quite an event, but as much as I like the band, I wouldn't cross state lines to see 'em again.

I need anne the man lessons
Danen

« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »

Honestly, I thought they were pretty boring live.  Until they tore into "Stereo."  I mean, a reunion show would probably be quite an event, but as much as I like the band, I wouldn't cross state lines to see 'em again.

Music like theirs is gonna have off and on nights. I feel lucky to have seen them just after Gary left the band, with only a small crowd, when they had a lot of fire and were getting the second album going. Then again in Tulsa at a PACKED club just after CRCR came out - they were all over the stage, clearly into what they were doing. That time I had the pleasure of talking with them afterward and EVERYONE was excited about what they were doing. A few years later, on the last tour, it was obvious it was falling apart. Good show, but it missed the zip of the earlier ones. Curiously, I had a similar experience with the Pixies. Saw them pretty early, and then on tour opening for Love and Rockets in KC. Both times explosive, bringing the house down. Later, on the Trompe Le Monde tour they were...good, but uninspired. Going through songs by the numbers and missing the little tangents and moments of spontaneity that defined the earlier sets (for instance, the first show I saw by them was performed in alphabetical order!)

Honestly, I've never seen the reunited Pixies and doubt I will. If they came to town, I guess, and I'm glad to see them making some $ off it all, but I'd be more interested in seeing Dinosaur or Mission of Burma, simply because something's still there, a spark of creativity evident in the albums. I suppose I'll wait and see how Pavement is received, and how "on" it is. I don't feel like I "have to" go, I guess.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Pavement Reunion?
Jump to: