Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 25, 2014, 02:18:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657786 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
Author Topic: Sound-checked, plugged in, and ready to rock (bands you saw)  (Read 38964 times)
ellaguru

« Reply #425 on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »

pairs of songs from an album. So two from MPPM, and then two from BBM, and so on. It was great!

Ah, the mathematical set. Rhombus! Last time I saw Spoon, they did, I think, 1 early single or something, then 2 Series of Sneaks songs, then 3 Girls Can Tell songs, then 4 Kill the Moonlight songs, then 5 Gimme Fiction songs, then 6 Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga songs, then they went home. Something like that. It was funny about halfway through when I figured out what they were doing.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
kyle

« Reply #426 on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:22:31 PM »

Also they bummed me out cause they had everyone record out of LP except the body the blood the machine... which is the one I really wanted.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
ellaguru

« Reply #427 on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:27:40 PM »

That's actually the only Thermals I know. I like it, too, so I should go further, but I haven't yet done so.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
kyle

« Reply #428 on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:50:16 PM »

I'm down with More Parts Per Million. It's totally awesome. Fuckin A is pretty good, but I haven't really been able to get into it. Same with Now We Can See, and I haven't listened to the new one.

Get More Parts Per Million next.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
mountmccabe

« Reply #429 on: Oct 16, 2010, 09:15:42 PM »

I will rep hard for Fuckin A but there is straight no problem with MPPM.

I honestly have not heard more than a song from Now We Can See but I just got the new one, in part to better gauge my level of interest in their show here in about a month. I def wanna go but we'll see if I wanna go enough. They have been rather awesome in the past!

OT my latest shows have been The National and Owen Pallett - amazing, I love it when Matt screams for songs in which there is no screaming naturally - and Land of Talk with Suuns - Suuns stole the show for me and then backed Elizabeth for her set.

You know a pancake?
edison

« Reply #430 on: Oct 17, 2010, 05:42:20 AM »

More Parts Per Million is the best! One of my favorite records by anyone, actually.
edison

« Reply #431 on: Oct 20, 2010, 06:10:50 AM »

It's not so often that Patti Smith comes to your town (especially when your town is Strasbourg) and does a show for free, so there was a very palpable sense of anticipation and excitement in the 2-hour-long queue (in the rain) to get inside the venue - apparently 200 people couldn't get in. It's easy to see why - she is one of these people whose energy and charisma are obvious and viscerally affecting even when she's just standing there. The show itself was not a proper rock show (as she concluded, "next time, I'll be back with a rock'n'roll band and I'll tear the fucking house down!"), instead consisting in readings from her newly published memoir, by her in English, and by her translator and her publisher in French - and a few musical interludes, including an excerpt from Puccini's Tosca performed by local music students, and four of her own songs performed on acoustic guitar or without accompaniment ("Wing", "Because the Night" a capella, "Beneath the Southern Cross" and "My Blakean Year"). The whole thing was very cleverly done and consistently engaging - a very nice present, and the prospect of a full band show seems quite enticing.
ellaguru

« Reply #432 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:49:19 AM »

I think seeing Patti Smith was the only time seeing a rock has made me weak at the knees. I had known that I liked her, but I hadn't really known how much until she hit the stage. It was fun.

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #433 on: Oct 22, 2010, 01:44:43 AM »

The Extra Lens were great! I met Whit and Mary and kicked it proper with lastclearchance (who I officially met last night, at the Stereogun thing) and I talked like a fool in the presence of our mutual friend Michaela. Also briefly exchanged words with our host. Good night, good people.

Em

« Reply #434 on: Oct 22, 2010, 07:28:12 AM »

The Extra Lens were great! I met Whit and Mary and kicked it proper with lastclearchance (who I officially met last night, at the Stereogun thing) and I talked like a fool in the presence of our mutual friend Michaela. Also briefly exchanged words with our host. Good night, good people.

I also enjoyed the show, which I almost didn't go to because I was sick as a dog. Mr. Vanderslice noticed my gross sickness as I was perusing his wares and responded with a very enthusiastic endorsement of my decision to attend anyway because "We're going to have so much fun!" And I think we all did. So, good night indeed.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #435 on: Oct 22, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »

tEL definitely brought it, but I kinda thought Vanderslice carried the day. I've seen him numerous times before, heard several of his albums, and had never developed more than a minor passing affection for him, but solo acoustic is a format where I think he really shines, and I found him great last night. kinda wish I had stuck around NYC for his free show today, but I woke up demolished and hightailed it back to Philly, in a display of remarkably bad civic duty (because I'm supposed to be at this horrible conference) that I can't say I regret at all, here in my robe and slippers.

was good to meet you, Brad--sorry it was so brief, we were both completely wiped out and in need of sleep.
and Em, bummed that we didn't meet! but glad you made it out.
peacocks

« Reply #436 on: Oct 22, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »

Rayon beach and shapes have fangs! they are from Austin texas?  Also some local bands slippery slopes lagues and magic and the johnsons played. All awesome, all a good time.  The bands from out of town wre so good everyone inthe place was daaancing. Rayon beach had a chord organ with effects on it skillfully manipulated by the drummer. Shapes have fangs did a cover of tunnel of love and sounded like dirty rock and roll. This show was consistantly fun and danceable. A plus evening.

dick-check your priviledge
Antero

« Reply #437 on: Oct 26, 2010, 06:50:04 PM »

Sunday night I saw the incomparable IfIHadAHiFi tear through yet another perfect noise-pop set.

As a bonus, the night ended with the singer from Waxeater and me jumping on stage to join them for a cover of "To Hell With Good Intentions."

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #438 on: Oct 30, 2010, 08:30:24 AM »

Last night was the Boomgates 7" release party. Boomgates being a side project of the singer from Eddy Current Suppression Ring. It was apparently only the second show they've played. They were fantastic - sounded a lot like a flying nun band. Got the record, got the t-shirt.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
auto-da-fey

« Reply #439 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:51:20 AM »

So Guided by Voices was pretty great. They don't drink as much as they used to, and they only played for two hours instead of three, but they haven't lost an ounce of energy, amazingly (though to be sure, Tobin Sprout hasn't gained any either; I love that man to death, but he has the least charismatic stage presence this side of Bob Dole). This "classic lineup plays the hits" thing isn't my ideal setup--the set list was pretty safe and predictable (until the encores where they busted out stuff like "Hey Aardvark" and "Johnny Appleseed"), but I mean, whatever, you can pick nits or you can marvel at Bob Pollard rocking "Gold Star for Robot Boy" with the ferocity of a 20-year-old punk rocker. I chose the latter.

It's amazing that Pollard can still kick over his head, and the guy bounces around the stage like a maniac. Greg Demos is fucking unstoppable too--I'm not sure I'd ever caught his bass fills on the recorded "My Impression Now," but jesus. Sprout, while boring, did get to play most of his classic gems (including "Dodging Invisible Rays" in the encore!), and Mitch Mitchell propositioned the entire female population of the show (all, erm, 19 of them or so . . .) in the crudest terms possible, which I guess is sort of what he's there for.

Anyway, in another world, I would have had them throw a few more curveballs ("Color of My Blade," come on!) and maybe move beyond the rigid 1993-96 constraints, but again, that's like whining about the icing on the cake, this show was rocking as hell.
mixed cats

« Reply #440 on: Nov 08, 2010, 01:55:17 PM »

The metal..ish show on Friday was pretty terrible; Bill's band played pretty well for about 20 people because there was bad traffic in the area. Things that happened: 1. I remembered how much I hate doom, 2. I remembered how hilarious kickboxing moshers are, 3. I made an awesome chart to help organize all the gifts I am giving this Christmas while minding the merch table. We did not stick around to watch the headlining band to find out if they are still fronted by a tiger.

Man or Astro-man? last night was SO much fun. The first band was two people who made a lot of fuzzy sounds with overfuzzed vocals, not bad but it was kind of droney. The second band was two people who played a sort of stripped down rockabilly thing, which was also not bad, and I may have been in love with the drummer. Then they turned the church basement into a SPACELAB through the clever use of copious plastic tubing. My friend and I couldn't stop bouncing and bopping because we are huge dorks. A+ would use time machine to go see in 1996

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
narlus

« Reply #441 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »

GBV was amazing last night.

davy

« Reply #442 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »

yowza.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
coldforge

« Reply #443 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »

Looks like Terminal 5.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
narlus

« Reply #444 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:14:05 PM »

yep, that's the place. awesome show.

coldforge

« Reply #445 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »

A scant block from my resting body!

è l'era del terzo mondo.
narlus

« Reply #446 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:00:35 PM »

A scant block from my resting body!

you hanging out at the Hustler Club?   Laughing

btw, Bar Nine is a horrible bar.

coldforge

« Reply #447 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »

I live on 56th and 9th, actually. And I like Bar Nine—though it's gotten worse. The beer selection has worsened, as has the menu. And when there's a band it's untenable. But we used to go there all the time when it was empty, because it had lots of room and big comfy tables.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
narlus

« Reply #448 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »

I live on 56th and 9th, actually. And I like Bar Nine—though it's gotten worse. The beer selection has worsened, as has the menu. And when there's a band it's untenable. But we used to go there all the time when it was empty, because it had lots of room and big comfy tables.

definitely had room, but we were there pre-show and the bar service was a joke...tried to get a beer twice, gave up both times...they were pouring half foam, only had two bartenders, and neither knew what the hell he was doing, or even tried hard to hustle even a little bit.

coppersmith's was a better bet (lagunitas, hello!) and the post-show was down @ Rudy's...can't complain about $9 pitchers and free hotdogs.

coldforge

« Reply #449 on: Nov 09, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »

Rudy's is the joint. Coppersmith's is so packed with douchebags and TVs that I never set foot in there. Won't rep any harder for Bar Nine; any man could see it's got problems. Most of my home-side drinking I do at Perdition or Lincoln Park—but in both cases it's IMPERATIVE that they be empty. New place just opened up, 'On the Rocks'. Terrible name, looks classy though.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Sound-checked, plugged in, and ready to rock (bands you saw)
Jump to: