Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Author Topic: Sound-checked, plugged in, and ready to rock (bands you saw)  (Read 40581 times)
jebreject

« Reply #475 on: Jan 01, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »

So last night I stood about a foot away from James Chance while he performed a secret NYE solo set at the Circle A here in his hometown of Milwaukee.

It melted my brain.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
G.C.R

« Reply #476 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:27:52 AM »

So, I don't go to see bands a whole lot these days, but last night I went to see the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. In New Zealand right now, the bands that are coming through would make you think it was 1997 all over again, and while I've been happy to bypass the Pixies and Pavement, I kicked myself enough over missing the Fall that I wasn't going to make the same mistake again, not with a band who I care so much about. It. Was. Awesome. It was like the eleven years of dancing like a goof to their music by myself in my room were rewarded a million times over. I was right at the front and smiled until my face hurt and danced like mad and lost my shit every time they played my favourite songs, which was bascially constantly because, wow, what a great set list - the formula is: play the first verse, play the chorus, dive straight into the first verse of the next song without stopping. Repeat for an hour. And it didn't feel like I was seeing an old band I loved back in the day playing a revival tour, they were fucking tight as and ... man, what a great night!
Bonus awesome - My dad, who is a big fan too, was there. He loved it. Then today he turned 65, and I think it is so damn awesome that he went out by himself to see a rock band he loves right the day before he hits the age he can theoretically get a pension.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
reebty

« Reply #477 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:04:54 AM »

Oh man, awesome. My dad turns 65 this year, but I doubt he's even heard of JSBX. Can't fault the stuff he does listen to, but he wasn't even 25 at the point where my musical knowledge overtakes his, whereas I started expanding my horizons into those past eras at around the same age. Ignorance of JSBX is forgivable, though! 
Antero

« Reply #478 on: Jan 15, 2011, 04:33:42 AM »

I just saw Freddie Gibbs.  The man has remarkable stage presence, and his technical abilities are staggering - I mean, even his stage banter was perfectly subdivided into syllables of precisely equivalent length.  Damn, son.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
davy

« Reply #479 on: Jan 15, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »

So, I don't go to see bands a whole lot these days, but last night I went to see the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. In New Zealand right now, the bands that are coming through would make you think it was 1997 all over again, and while I've been happy to bypass the Pixies and Pavement, I kicked myself enough over missing the Fall that I wasn't going to make the same mistake again, not with a band who I care so much about. It. Was. Awesome. It was like the eleven years of dancing like a goof to their music by myself in my room were rewarded a million times over. I was right at the front and smiled until my face hurt and danced like mad and lost my shit every time they played my favourite songs, which was bascially constantly because, wow, what a great set list - the formula is: play the first verse, play the chorus, dive straight into the first verse of the next song without stopping. Repeat for an hour. And it didn't feel like I was seeing an old band I loved back in the day playing a revival tour, they were fucking tight as and ... man, what a great night!
Bonus awesome - My dad, who is a big fan too, was there. He loved it. Then today he turned 65, and I think it is so damn awesome that he went out by himself to see a rock band he loves right the day before he hits the age he can theoretically get a pension.

Excellent!

I saw JSBX in NY once, kind of by accident, and it turned out to be one of the greatest shows I'd ever seen. They are an incredible force on stage.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #480 on: Jan 16, 2011, 08:57:37 AM »

Could not have written a better setlist for the GBV show last night. Pretty much every great track from Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand. Gold Heart Mountaintop and Gold Star for Robot Boy back to back. So much drinking. Feel like predictable hell today, and don't fully remember renting this hotel room.

think 'on the road.'
das kranke Tier

« Reply #481 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »

If one enjoys a GBV show the way one should, memories of it should be extremely hazy.

Compendious as hell
edison

« Reply #482 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »

I almost went through the classic LPTJ experience of going to another city to see Joanna Newsom and have her cancel on me, but narrowly escaped that predicament as it was announced that this was still on a few hours before the starting time (she was sick and had cancelled her first show on the previous day in the same venue). Although that wouldn't have been too traumatic because the rest of my day was entertaining and busy enough, I'm still glad she played, because both the setting (a small, intimate, slightly decrepit XIXth century theater) and her unbelievable performance did justice to her status as the greatest songwriter of her generation. Also, I got exactly what I had hoped for and didn't get a few months earlier: a wonderful performance of my favorite song of hers, "Emily".

Bridges and Balloons - Have One On Me - Easy - Go Long - The Book of Right-On - Soft as Chalk - Emily - Good Intentions Paving Co. - Peach, Plum, Pear / Baby Birch
Nick Ink

« Reply #483 on: Jan 19, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »

I almost went through the classic LPTJ experience of going to another city to see Joanna Newsom and have her cancel on me,

Ha ha - it was another country to be strictly accurate!  Smile

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #484 on: Jan 20, 2011, 04:35:08 AM »

But I am in another country, right?
narlus

« Reply #485 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »

review and photos from the Cracker/Camper Van Beethoven double bill/plays full LP show:

http://www.bigtakeover.com/concerts/cracker-with-camper-van-beethoven-the-middle-east-cambridge-ma-sunday-january-16-2011

more photos:
http://narlus.zenfolio.com/p603732248
http://narlus.zenfolio.com/p847366307

auto-da-fey

« Reply #486 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »

saw the Capstan Shafts last night, and it broke my fucking heart. a disaster on every level.

we showed up early, to check out the local openers--decent indie rock stuff, with a few dozen people in attendance. then around midnight, the Shafts started setting up, and everyone left. everyone. a few dudes from the openers went in and out, but the literal entirety of the paying crowd, as far as I could tell, was me, M, and one other couple.

the band was visibly dispirited, and completely checked out. they set up, did not introduce themselves, and proceeded to play a short, lifeless set without any break or banter. except that when Dean paused to tune his guitar, I shouted "Lauren Behold!," figuring he'd at least appreciate knowing he had a fan. he didn't appreciate it. "we can't play that," he glowered without explanation, and they launched back into things. during the one other brief pause, the other guy in the crowd shouted for "Versus the Sad Cold Eventually." the band didn't even acknowledge him, and--deliberately perversely, I assume, because that song should be a hit fucking single--omitted that from the set list too.

eventually he said, "we have one song left." they played it, turned off their instruments, and that was it. I don't think any of us even clapped at that point. I had even brought cash to raid the merch table in pursuit of stray EPs I've missed along the way, but there was nothing.

oh well. I had my girl with me, and we drank and squeezed each other and had a good time in spite of it all, but man, the show itself was one depressing bummer.

fishjim

« Reply #487 on: Jan 22, 2011, 09:28:43 PM »

After seeing Joanna Newsom last night I am fully convinced she is the most talented song writer around. It was glorious.

The rough draft of the review I'm writing of that show has exceeded 4000 words. It's one of those "I am not sure I can put this into words, so here are as many of them as I can possibly come up with about the subject" sort of reviews. Hopefully I'm doing some justice to the experience.

TSKS, did this ever run? Would love to read it.

I must be the only person on LPTJ who still hasn't heard Have One On Me, so I'm wondering if that song "In California" that's showing up in all her set lists has any relation to the Lisa Marr song of the same title that Neko Case covered on Canadian Amp. Cuz it's a gem, and it would be awesome to hear it transfigured yet again by JN.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
edison

« Reply #488 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:11:44 AM »

saw the Capstan Shafts last night, and it broke my fucking heart. a disaster on every level.

we showed up early, to check out the local openers--decent indie rock stuff, with a few dozen people in attendance. then around midnight, the Shafts started setting up, and everyone left. everyone. a few dudes from the openers went in and out, but the literal entirety of the paying crowd, as far as I could tell, was me, M, and one other couple.

the band was visibly dispirited, and completely checked out. they set up, did not introduce themselves, and proceeded to play a short, lifeless set without any break or banter. except that when Dean paused to tune his guitar, I shouted "Lauren Behold!," figuring he'd at least appreciate knowing he had a fan. he didn't appreciate it. "we can't play that," he glowered without explanation, and they launched back into things. during the one other brief pause, the other guy in the crowd shouted for "Versus the Sad Cold Eventually." the band didn't even acknowledge him, and--deliberately perversely, I assume, because that song should be a hit fucking single--omitted that from the set list too.

eventually he said, "we have one song left." they played it, turned off their instruments, and that was it. I don't think any of us even clapped at that point. I had even brought cash to raid the merch table in pursuit of stray EPs I've missed along the way, but there was nothing.

oh well. I had my girl with me, and we drank and squeezed each other and had a good time in spite of it all, but man, the show itself was one depressing bummer.

Jesus, I got depressed just reading that - haven't been to a show like that in a long time, but it does bring some distant memories back. Glad you had good company, at least.
edison

« Reply #489 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:13:43 AM »

After seeing Joanna Newsom last night I am fully convinced she is the most talented song writer around. It was glorious.

The rough draft of the review I'm writing of that show has exceeded 4000 words. It's one of those "I am not sure I can put this into words, so here are as many of them as I can possibly come up with about the subject" sort of reviews. Hopefully I'm doing some justice to the experience.

I must be the only person on LPTJ who still hasn't heard Have One On Me, so I'm wondering if that song "In California" that's showing up in all her set lists has any relation to the Lisa Marr song of the same title that Neko Case covered on Canadian Amp. Cuz it's a gem, and it would be awesome to hear it transfigured yet again by JN.

I don't know that song you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure it has no relationship to it. JN's "In California", however, is one of the three or four best songs on the new album, and I must encourage you to check it out at all costs!

also seconding curiosity on TSKS' piece, too!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #490 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »

Sure did, here ya go: http://rvamag.com/articles/full/9756/show-review-joanna-newsom

Brad Amnesia Of Heaven helped me out with editing, so thanks be to him for that.

And no, I don't believe "In California" is a cover, though I guess I could be wrong? Anyone with knowledge otherwise, please say so.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #491 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:55:45 PM »

Jesus, I got depressed just reading that - haven't been to a show like that in a long time, but it does bring some distant memories back. Glad you had good company, at least.

This is interesting to me because I noticed that they were headlining here on that tour too, and I was definitely like "Hmm, are the Capstan Shafts really big enough to headline?" I'm thinking maybe they're not, and someone did a really bad job with booking them as headliners on a tour. Perhaps every night of their tour has been like this. I didn't go to the Richmond show, but based on the venue and the openers, I can assure you that if whoever set up the show had them play last, they played to nobody here too.

narlus

« Reply #492 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »

last week they played before Hallelujah The Hills in Boston. not sure what the attendance was, but we had an ice storm so i stayed home.

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #493 on: Jan 23, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »

Sure did, here ya go: http://rvamag.com/articles/full/9756/show-review-joanna-newsom

Brad Amnesia Of Heaven helped me out with editing, so thanks be to him for that.

And no, I don't believe "In California" is a cover, though I guess I could be wrong? Anyone with knowledge otherwise, please say so.

"In California" is not a cover.

fishjim

« Reply #494 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »

"In California" is not a cover.

I just glanced at the lyrics online, and nope, not a cover. But keeping in mind that I still haven't heard JN's piece, I think there's a chance her title is suggesting the comparison.

In both songs, the state of California is shorthand for the emotional & physical separation of the singer from her northern home/lover. This wish for home becomes a death-wish, resolving in fantasies of self-annihilation which end both songs. These chicks are driving songs off the continent!

There's an equally high chance I'm overthinking this.

Either way, fantastic piece, TSKS. Having never seen JN live, you are now my eyes & ears. I'll hold off saying more about things I know nothing about until I've caught up on my Newsom.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #495 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »

Also "helped me out with editing" essentially means I barely cut anything out and wrote a ton of excited exclamations in the margins.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #496 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »

Evan Dando & Juliana Hatfield last night were . . . well, pleasantly dull, I suppose. they didn't really play any of my favorite songs, but we also got there a half-hour late (unavoidable, alas--had to drive across New Jersey in rush-hourish traffic, so neither of us were in a great mood by the time we finally arrived either), so I like to think they kicked things off with "Alison's Starting to Happen," doubtful as it may be. Hatfield seemed characteristically semi-resentful to have to be there, and her songs don't survive the translation to acoustic too well; Dando was as spaced-out as always, and the only real spontaneity either displayed came while she was tuning and he improvised a cute little blues ditty about going down to Rite Aid for a face mask.

When they played "Pale Blue Eyes" together it was quite lovely, though they closed on a ciringeworthy note with her painfully mawkish Evan-I-love-you song, while he hunched his head down and strummed listlessly. Then they went offstage, the lights held steady for several minutes while the crowd called for an encore, and . . . nothing. I think the backstage conversation there would have been more interesting than anything in the show.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #497 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »

also possibly of note: Dando has his bearded-mountain-man look going again, and he looks like a scruffy character you'd meet hitching through Colorado. but then every now and then he'd briefly smile, and it's like twenty years and all the facial hair fell away. he really is a beautiful man. the bastard.
narlus

« Reply #498 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »

definitely scruffy. maybe it fends off the winter chill.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #499 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:55:41 AM »

Wait, what painfully mawkish Evan-I-love-you song? Is this a new song or something that I've been listening to for 20 years and never figured out was about Evan? Also, wasn't Evan the one who put a song on a Lemonheads album about how she should lose her virginity to him? (Spoiler: I know the answer to this last question. The answer is "Yes, he did.")

By the way, they played on my birthday up in Arlington, but you couldn't buy tickets in advance and I couldn't get out of work and head up there early enough that I'd be assured of getting in. Plus I didn't really have the cash for the gas and the ticket anyway. So yeah, I was bumming about that, but Whit made me feel better because I'm thinking it would have been a letdown.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Sound-checked, plugged in, and ready to rock (bands you saw)
Jump to: