Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 29, 2014, 04:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657802 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: NOW! That's what I call Good Stuff Coming Out!  (Read 40844 times)
davy

« Reply #375 on: Nov 29, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »

After a 10 year silence, and despite the worst cover art of all time,

Cue someone--me, in this case--proclaiming that they love the cover art and that it is not, in fact, the worst of all time.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 05:36:28 PM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
reebty

« Reply #376 on: Nov 29, 2010, 11:58:12 PM »

I don't love it, but worst of all time is a bit harsh. Or did this cease to exist and I wasn't informed?
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #377 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:55:50 AM »

Good god, what the hell is that?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Antero

« Reply #378 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:23:39 AM »

My eyes!  They burn!

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #379 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:59:14 AM »

reebty, that one is sort of audaciously terrible, like you almost have to admire how they made it as bad as humanly possible.  Like, it's a dragon and a couple of lens flares from lapping terrible and being awesome again.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
ellaguru

« Reply #380 on: Dec 01, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »

These local kids made one of my top 5 records of I guess 2008. Very excited for this, and it's coming out next week, so just in time to catch a wave onto my 2010 list. Assuming it is worthy.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
davy

« Reply #381 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »

You're from Toronto, right?

Are you on the Doug Paisley train, man? He's from Toronto, and his new album might be my favorite of the year.

ellaguru

« Reply #382 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »

You're from Toronto, right?

Are you on the Doug Paisley train, man? He's from Toronto, and his new album might be my favorite of the year.

Not yet, but I gave him a listen this evening and he sounded good so far.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
davy

« Reply #383 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:17:58 AM »

Holy shit, somebody tell me about this band/album right now, because this cover image will not stop kicking ass ever. I think they're black metal?

jm

« Reply #384 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:20:38 AM »

uh, tell me about it too, because that cover and logo are awesome.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
davy

« Reply #385 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »

Here's the first bit of a very complimentary Popmatters review. It opens with some solid commentary about satanic metal in general:

Whether itís Satanic screeds or Christian proselytizing, there are plenty of extreme opinions in metal, but some people deeply devoted to either viewpoint often fail to realize just how overbearing both sides can be. While Christian metal tends to be a bit of a whipping boy in the metal world, many people finding bandsí fundamentalist roots very off-putting, the Anti-Christian or Satanic bands donít do themselves any favors either. In fact, for their vehement anti-Christian rhetoric, far too many bands are completely lacking in eloquence, often resorting to cheap, cartoonish gimmicks to provoke pro-Christian audiences. Norwegian stars Dimmu Borgir are a fitting example, their 2007 In Sorte Diaboli rife with boring rants and tacky imagery. Swedish band Watain has also done the same with the often ludicrous lyrical content of 2010ís Lawless Darkness, while Kerry King of the legendary Slayer is getting so predictable in his anti-religious shtick that itís getting boring. If you donít like organized religion, show some eloquence when you stick it to the Christian right. If youíre into Satanism, extol the positive aspects of your theology rather than reducing yourself to self-parody. The fact is, whether youíre Christian, Satanic, or none of the above, if you lack expressiveness youíre just stuck preaching to the choir rather than winning new converts.

If you do want to preach to your audience, then itís best to follow the example of the great Mercyful Fate and sell the holy hell out of it. Led by the inimitable King Diamond, the Danish band dove headfirst into the whole devil worship shtick and created music so convincing, lyrics so devout, it was absolutely chilling. 26 years after the release of Mercyful Fateís magnum opus Donít Break the Oath, Satanic metal is so common and clichť-ridden that itís difficult to even care about what bands have to say these days. Sure, there are still thought-provoking bands out there, such as Englandís CaÔna and Canadaís Weapon, but when it comes to over-the-top Satanic metal, too many bands just donít go over-the-top enough.

Swedish sextet Ghost does, though, and what a first impression they make on their debut full-length.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/132786-ghost-opus-eponymous

jm

« Reply #386 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:28:05 AM »

Huh!  I actually really like that first paragraph, heh.

Ignatius

« Reply #387 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »

That looks like the book cover on my Garfield Scary Stories collection or something.
Good Intentions

« Reply #388 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:26:31 PM »

BWAHAHAAA! the guy's critiquing metal lyrics? For not being serious and weighty enough? Boy, did he miss the point.

'Oh, woe, woe! Where are the metal songs with deep critiques of our spiritual practices? Where shall I find meaningful discourses now?'
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2010, 10:31:34 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
davy

« Reply #389 on: Dec 02, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

So metal dudes just get a pass, and it's as simple as that?

Ignatius

« Reply #390 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »

Not that they get a pass, but metal lyrics aren't rated on the strength of their argument against Christ. Of course the anti-Christian schtick can get stale, but 'extol[ling] the positive aspects of Satanism' doesn't really seem like a solution. I think metal bands that bring new tropes and modes of expression to their lyrics should be praised, but saying "satanism is a cliche in metal" is like saying the same for love songs in pop music.

I also don't think that metal bands are looking to provoke pro-Christian audiences so much as appeal to an "anti-Christian" base.

And they kind of do get a pass... Different genres are approached with different expectations. When a band exceeds or frustrates those expectations, that's great!
davy

« Reply #391 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »

To be honest, I don't think that's the argument the dude is really trying to make. He seems to be a little more concerned, at least in regards to the music of Ghost, with the second option, which basically amounts to "if you're going to go where hundreds of other metal bands have gone before, GO HARDER."

Ignatius

« Reply #392 on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:41:54 PM »

Yeah, in the second paragraph it's not 'over-the-top' enough (GO HARDER,) but in the first it's not 'eloquent' enough.
Good Intentions

« Reply #393 on: Dec 03, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »

So metal dudes just get a pass, and it's as simple as that?
No, but there are two mistakes being made here. Firstly, by the articles standard all lyrics suck. There simply aren't pieces with the type of detail and sophistication in 3-5 minute pop songs, nor could there be. Even great protest songs, 'Fortunate Son', 'The Ballad of Tom Joad', etc, are more gesturing at a point than articulating it -- they're something to sing along to once you've already got the point. For instance, on a Propagandhi album the informative stuff is in the liner notes, not in what the guy's screaming. And that's on a topic which is much more immediate and easier to get a handle on than the status of religious devotion.
Secondly, those are entirely the wrong goods to judge metal lyrics on. Even the deadly serious and adept lyrics, like Pig Destroyer's, try to convey a mood more than anything else. And the ridiculous, over-the-top black metal songs go for a mood of riotous blasphemy. Lord knows nobody is going to get converted to satanism on the strength of a Mayhem lyric. But God in heaven, the thrill you can get from that blasphemy! It makes me want to shout out HAIL SATAN.

HAIL SATAN!

I think what the guy has tried to do is to set up a comparison try bring out a strength of Ghost's. Fair enough, but the comparison he draws very much misses the point of the people he's contrasting Ghost to. Dimmu Borgir don't give a rusty fuck about the sophistication of their anti-Christian stance, nor do the audience. That's not what's at stake.
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2010, 06:31:45 PM by Good Intentions » Logged
coldforge

« Reply #394 on: Dec 04, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »

yeah i agree with that guy

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #395 on: Dec 04, 2010, 12:18:16 AM »

oh ps hail satan i guess

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
Ignatius

« Reply #396 on: Dec 04, 2010, 04:14:50 AM »

you don't count, prog metal man.
coldforge

« Reply #397 on: Dec 06, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »

Man, I'm reading that review again. It's so weird. He comes from such a weird place, seemingly assuming that the point of Satanic metal is to eloquently articulate a cohesive ideology, for the purpose of (?!!) winning over Satanic converts.

And then he tries to front on the King Diamond angle. Don't front with me, dude. King Diamond is notable not because he's more 'devout' than anybody elseóyou can talk about how over the top and ludicrous Watain is, while still trying to claim 'devoutness'. King Diamond is notable because he's (musically and aesthetically) incredibly goofy (not 'incredibly chilling'). That's fine; I love Mercyful Fate as much as the next guy. But don't try and set up some conception of musical Satanism where King Diamond is a legitimate, rigorous realization of a philosophy and Dimmu Borgir is kids playing dress-up.

He goes on to talk about how these guys are remarkable because of how much they buy into their 'gimmick'. I am unclear about how these guys are doing anything differently from, you know, any of the other six thousand robed, fog machine, sheep heads on stakes bands out there. For all his talk about preaching to the choir, he doesn't even mention the band's lyrics!

Clearly what happened with this review is that brother saw this band, found their graphical style appealing (which it very much is), listened to their music, which is decidedly unlike the black metal bands you'd assume they'd be in with (and to my ears boring as shit, but hey), and got the feeling that they were a really distinctive group in some way. They're notówhether you like them or not, gey gezunterheyt, but there's really no justifiable way to depict these guys as existing anywhere but plum in the middle of the mainstream of heavy metal. They just happen to have gotten a good logo, good art, good costumes, and the luck and advertising to push them to the forefront of American music editors for a couple weeks.

Incidentally when you look for someone to extol the positive aspects of your theology, you get self-serious Wiccans and other decidedly unfun Neo Pagans. I'll keep my cartoonishness.

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
jm

« Reply #398 on: Dec 06, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

my entire response was based on the fact that "anti-Christian" bands drive me up a fucking wall and basically force me to write them off as angry, empty-headed twelve-year-olds.

davy

« Reply #399 on: Dec 06, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »

my entire response was based on the fact that "anti-Christian" bands drive me up a fucking wall and basically force me to write them off as angry, empty-headed twelve-year-olds.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: NOW! That's what I call Good Stuff Coming Out!
Jump to: