Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 28, 2014, 07:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657918 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 63 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
Print
Author Topic: Awesome Thread Episode (N): A New Hope  (Read 23592 times)
davy

« Reply #425 on: Apr 01, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »

It's also a lot more compact than a standard kit, so you save a lot of floor space in the apartment. I wouldn't really be able to comfortably set my regular kit up where I'm living now. But I can tuck the rhythm traveler into a corner easily.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
monkeypants

« Reply #426 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »

Thanks for the info. Man, I'm really wanting one of those now.  A llittle pricier than I was hoping for, but still not too bad.  And they're quiet you say? That's the most important thing, for me. Space isn't so much of an issue at the moment.  How do the mesh heads feel? 

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
davy

« Reply #427 on: Apr 01, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »

They're a little idealistic--as in, if real drums had heads like that, we'd all be Neil Peart. But hey, that's got it's own charms.

If you've played electronic V-drums, then you know exactly how they feel.

monkeypants

« Reply #428 on: Apr 03, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »

Hey, if any of you apartment-dwelling drummers are interested in that Rhythm Traveller set, Guitar Center is having a 15% off sale this weekend.  With that they come to 407.15 plus tax, with free shipping.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger, in a much more impulsive fashion than is typical for me, but there ya go.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
jm

« Reply #429 on: Apr 03, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »

Awww bjyeah, sitting around listening to 70s Iranian pop in my I don't care what I look like because I'm on a bike clothes, getting psyched for the first ride of the year (which may kill me but whatever, BIKES).

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
davy

« Reply #430 on: Apr 03, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »

Hey, if any of you apartment-dwelling drummers are interested in that Rhythm Traveller set, Guitar Center is having a 15% off sale this weekend.  With that they come to 407.15 plus tax, with free shipping.  I went ahead and pulled the trigger, in a much more impulsive fashion than is typical for me, but there ya go.

Haha, nice. Let me know what you think!

Did you get the newer version pictured above? The black lugs look totally sweet (mine has silver) and I'm especially interested in how the new cymbal arrangement works. I might consider trying to purchase them individually. The glaring weakness of my version of the kit is the use of real (albeit cheap) cymbals with heavy rubber pads--which make a tap-tap sound that is much louder than--and not at all consistent with--the more musical muffled tones of the rest of the kit. I ended up scrapping the rubber pads altogether and bought some foam cymbal silencers. They work better, but the solution pictured above looks more effective and more elegant. Let me know how it works out!

auto-da-fey

« Reply #431 on: Apr 03, 2010, 07:12:53 PM »

I just went so far down the wormhole of absurd awfulness that it became kind of awesome. To wit:

First, my internet has been dead since Thursday. The cable guy finally came this morning at 8, and we deduced that we needed access to the basement. Since the bar I live over doesn't open till 11, he had to come back. Which didn't happen until 5, but okay, he returned; upon inspection, he concluded that the only possible answer was some sort of shady wire-splicing going on in the apartment next to mine, where some college girls just moved in. They weren't home, though, and my landlord gave weird, shifting explanations that contradicted themselves; end result: no internet until Monday, when he comes back to look in the other apartment.

So, I head out to my neighborhood coffee shop for internet. There, I run into the guy I met earlier in the week, with whom I'm supposed to get drinks Tuesday. There is some slight weirdness here because this just so happens to be the place recently awarded "best coffee shop for gay cruising" in the weekly paper, and I'm not fully sure exactly what "drinks" is meant to entail (but I really admire both of his books and am hoping it's a sort of shop-talk date).

Slight weirdness becomes moderate weirdness when he sees me and says "Oh, I thought you were in New York this weekend," which is what I'd told him when he emailed me about drinks yesterday (because I thought I was headed there tonight), and I'm so confused that I start mumbling about problems with my internet, not even remembering what he's talking about.

Moderate weirdness moves into the surreal when I realize my pants are falling down. For the first time in ages, I don't have a belt on, because I was too lazy to take it off the other pair of pants and put it in this one. On top of that, I left my zipper down AND button unbuttoned after peeing on my way out the door, and so my pants are just hanging wide open in the front. How I failed to observe this during my one-block walk, I do not know. But as I awkwardly converse with this guy, my pants are literally sliding down my body, in what I can only assume is a rather noticeable way, surely only slightly mitigated by my jamming my hands in my pockets to hold them up.

Then I somehow escape, rush to the bathroom, which is locked, and just decide to face a corner and zip/button. By now I'm having a mild panic attack and am drenched in sweat, and am utterly convinced every single person in the crowded establishment is staring at me.

All of which fucking sucked. But five minutes later, I am finding it increasingly amusing. Even if it probably signals my further decline into early Alzheimer's and now this scholar I greatly admire probably thinks a) I blew him off because I'm clearly addicted to Gayborhood alleyway blowjobs such that I can't even keep my pants on, and b) Tuesday is gonna be a slippery fuckfest of drunken depravity. Which, let's face it, if I drink enough, it probably is.
davy

« Reply #432 on: Apr 03, 2010, 07:25:58 PM »

Good Intentions

« Reply #433 on: Apr 03, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »

Yeah, adf, you're making me feel very insecure about how mundane my academic life is in comparison.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #434 on: Apr 03, 2010, 07:33:57 PM »

walk around as a straight dude doing queer studies with an unzipped fly, I promise you things will liven up in no time.
Bernard

« Reply #435 on: Apr 04, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »

God, I was laughing so hard by the end of adf's story, then the cats. So funny!

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #436 on: Apr 04, 2010, 03:21:59 PM »

What a long, exhausting, productive, amazing five days. D interviewed for a job, we viewed apartments and signed a lease on the one we liked, I met the entire Miami English dept and made some great new friends, we saw the chapel where we're getting married and finalized some options for the reception (where I nixed the bottled "import" options of Heineken and Sam Adams and arranged for the purchse of two craft pony kegs from my fav brewpub), and I basically got to see all of my friends and immediate family. Much eating, drinking and merrymaking. Not so much sleep, though.

think 'on the road.'
milesofsparks

« Reply #437 on: Apr 04, 2010, 03:43:06 PM »

wow, that is a lot of awesome.  your cats will be happy to snuggle up/bite you while you catch up on sleep back at home.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #438 on: Apr 04, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »

A very much appreciated spot of awesomeness this weekend was reading daily cat updates from the best kitty sitter in the world, as well! The lady and I are going to treat you to an awesome meal this week after we've recovered.

think 'on the road.'
jess

« Reply #439 on: Apr 04, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

Nice! When are you moving? I fully expect hangout sometime at a show or something in Cincinnati—yay for a somewhat closer dot on the lptj map.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #440 on: Apr 04, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »

i won the lotto! yes, i'm aware that gambling is for idiots but it was a one-off thing that worked out well. was taking a cab across town to class when i got weird hunch to stop for coffee, which doesn't make sense because there is always a fresh pot brewing in the classroom but i do listen to the voices, stopped in and the cashier asked
6/49 ticket?
why would i do that?
it's 35 million!
okay, fine. way to waste $5.
so when i finally checked it a couple weeks later the lights started flashing and the guy at the register had a little fit since he'd never seen it and didn't know what to do. picked up my cheque for $6975.50 and finally paid off the rest of my visa debt. woot woot! so i'm not a multi-millionaire but am also maybe not so dumb after all.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
ellaguru

« Reply #441 on: Apr 04, 2010, 06:43:50 PM »

Hey, that is awesome!

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Antero

« Reply #442 on: Apr 04, 2010, 07:39:33 PM »

Nice!

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Bernard

« Reply #443 on: Apr 04, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »

Excellence all around.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #444 on: Apr 04, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »

Further awesome: Here is a video of my friend and I firing his obscenely expensive silenced Sig Sauer 9mm at a coffee can on Saturday. I didn't take the time to edit the video, but if you want to see us peeling caps, just jump to about 3 minutes in. --> http://vimeo.com/10675485

Also, that video was shot on my dad's $75 flash memory camcorder. 4 hours of 720p video for $75! I want one.

think 'on the road.'
mixed cats

« Reply #445 on: Apr 04, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »

We just paid off one of my student loans and Bill's car. And hung up some fantastic artwork we got as a wedding gift. The Sound of Music is on and I didn't wear pants all day. WOO.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
elpollodiablo

« Reply #446 on: Apr 04, 2010, 09:06:03 PM »

Further awesome: Here is a video of my friend and I firing his obscenely expensive silenced Sig Sauer 9mm at a coffee can on Saturday. I didn't take the time to edit the video, but if you want to see us peeling caps, just jump to about 3 minutes in. --> http://vimeo.com/10675485

Also, that video was shot on my dad's $75 flash memory camcorder. 4 hours of 720p video for $75! I want one.

I am bringing this over to the next page because it is AWESOME Cool

think 'on the road.'
girl

« Reply #447 on: Apr 04, 2010, 09:08:16 PM »

Are these high five mixed cats?! AWESOME!

this is a story and you're not in it
Good Intentions

« Reply #448 on: Apr 04, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »

A guy in the Johnny the Homicidal Maniac shirt running around with the silenced pistol? Can't say that I've seen that in my neck of the woods.
G.C.R

« Reply #449 on: Apr 04, 2010, 09:20:49 PM »

New Zealand comics weekend was pretty much all the time fun -  I'm definitely going to get more into helping with organisation next year. What a cool community.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Awesome Thread Episode (N): A New Hope
Jump to: