Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 31, 2014, 07:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Broke Warp 10, had magic space-lizard babies; the new STAR TREK thread.  (Read 9556 times)
Thermofusion

« Reply #100 on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »

Two crews who hate each other and think the other is morally bankrupt!  Stranded together!  Will tensions run high? Will war crimes trials happen? Will machiavellian power-games underlie every episode?

oh no they pretty much decide to all be a model starfleet crew, ok cool

Yeah one of the many silly things I noticed while watching the pilot was how all that interesting dramatic tension between the two crews was neatly wrapped up by the end of the first episode. Starfleet assimilates faster than the Borg, apparently.

That said, I'd probably call it the second best Trek pilot after DS9's. And that's largely because I can't watch Encounter at Farpoint without feeling really embarrassed.

triple paisley minimum
charlie

« Reply #101 on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »

I just watched "Datalore" the other day thinking it's about Data's evil twin, so it's gotta be good, right?  But then it was also about how Wesley Crusher is smarter than everyone in Starfleet, and fuck that.
Greg Nog

« Reply #102 on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »

That said, I'd probably call it the second best Trek pilot after DS9's. And that's largely because I can't watch Encounter at Farpoint without feeling really embarrassed.

I will admit that TNG's entire first season may be the single worst chunk of Trek, yeah.  But, like, it got so good!  And even DS9 started kind of boring before it became spectacular.  This was my hope for both Voyager and Enterprise, but NOPE.
coldforge

« Reply #103 on: Jul 14, 2011, 12:16:58 PM »

Man, remember when Wil Wheaton was one of the most popular bloggers on the planet?

l'era del terzo mondo.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #104 on: Jul 14, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

im watching some episode of TNG where Q turns everyone into robin hoods

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Thermofusion

« Reply #105 on: Jul 14, 2011, 08:05:10 PM »

That's the episode with the greatest Worf line of all time

triple paisley minimum
Ah_Pook

« Reply #106 on: Jul 14, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »

yea, i had some serious laughs. when he smashes geordie's mandolin is another all time highlight.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
mixed cats

« Reply #107 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:33:40 AM »

My friend made a fake Magic card with Robin Hood Worf on it
I wish I had one

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Thermofusion

« Reply #108 on: Jul 28, 2011, 07:40:39 PM »

Why didn't you guys ever tell me there was an episode of Voyager where they travel back in time to 1996 L.A. and team up with Sarah Silverman to fight Ed Begley Jr?

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #109 on: Aug 01, 2011, 12:00:34 PM »

The Quiet Despair of the Starship Enterprise

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Thermofusion

« Reply #110 on: Aug 01, 2011, 12:14:05 PM »

Digging those space age spray bottles!

triple paisley minimum
kyle

« Reply #111 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:44:22 AM »

So, just popped in here to post this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QIsHQfKZ4g

hope you enjoy.

Gonna start watching TNG on netflix from start to finish.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
coldforge

« Reply #112 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:11:54 AM »

Jesus christ, that was a long walk!

l'era del terzo mondo.
Thermofusion

« Reply #113 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »

I've finally got around to watching some DS9 on Netflix, going chronologically, still in season one. Some early thoughts:

-Bashir is a grab bag of annoying personality traits: cocksure, naive, clingy, wimpy, smug, self-involved. Yet I love this dude. I should hate him, but he's my favorite.

-Avery Brooks has weird cadences to his speech. I like how he can go from soft-spoken to thunderous indignation in 0.001 seconds. I love it when Sisko calls anyone into his office to angrily chew them out. I'm not even through season one, and that's already a recurring theme: Sisko callin' a dude (or Kira) into his office and putting them in fucking place. You start sensing when it's about to happen, you sit up in anticipation of Sisko bout to pop the fuck off. Dude is a baller.

-Kira is awesome. This was supposed to be Ro, right? I think I like Kira better, and I loved Ro.

-Dax is a boring fucking character. I don't remember her being this dull. The Trill concept is only interesting for the duration of time it takes to explain it, I think. I hate her little sagacious smile, "ho ho, I'm 400 years old, all you youngins amuse me with your youthful quirks"

-The interpersonal relationships on this show are really unmatched by any other Trek franchise. Sisko/Kira, Odo/Quark and of course Bashir/Garak. I remember this shit getting better in later seasons, so I'm looking forward to watching it develop.

-Some of these clunky season 1 episodes are still pretty fun (the Most Dangerous Game-type episode where O'Brien helps the prey escape, the really stupid trapped-in-an-alien-boardgame episode)

triple paisley minimum
Greg Nog

« Reply #114 on: Oct 26, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »

Season 1 is, like, serviceable, then Season 2 gets a little better, but then the War starts and the show gets way better than TNG at its best.  Stick with it!

Also, to the writers' VAST credit, it seems like they at some point realized that Dax was a shitty go-nowhere character and radically altered what they did with her, to the degree that later personality traits directly contradict her earlier ones.  Like, I think I recall at some point early in the series she kinda winks and pooh-poohs sex, whereas by Season Six, she's all, "MAN I LOVE FUCKING WORF" 

Also the Bashir/O'Brien pairing becomes really fun and sweet as the show keeps going. 
Thermofusion

« Reply #115 on: Oct 26, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »

Yeah, I've seen piecemeal bits of DS9, but never the Dominion War in full chronological order, so I'm pretty anxious to get to the later seasons. I've contemplated skipping straight to season 3, actually, but don't want to miss any good early standalone episodes (if there are any!), nor do I want to miss any expository episodes about Sisko's relationship to Bajor (I find that shit mad interesting, seriously guys "Emissary" for Best Trek Pilot by a country mile) or any early Garak episodes.

triple paisley minimum
ellaguru

« Reply #116 on: Oct 26, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »

Sisko's one of my favourite TV people.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
jebreject

« Reply #117 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »

So, I stayed home sick today, and when I was sleeping, I was watching TOS, which I had never really watched a whole lot of other than catching an episode here and there.

So, what I was wondering is, are all the first season episodes basically the exact same story over and over again?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jm

« Reply #118 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »

Surprisingly, I've watched almost zero TOS in my lifetime.  In fact, I'd say that more than half of the ST I've seen, I've seen since I've been dating the lady.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
jebreject

« Reply #119 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:59:56 PM »

The only reason I started watching it was because I watched that JJ Abrams reboot thing this morning and thought that was fun, but too much action and adventure!, so I was going to put on TNG like I am wont to do but thought what the hell and put on TOS instead. I've been enjoying it so far but really all the episodes are basically the same.

Greg Nog

« Reply #120 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »

Welp, I think TOS is pretty boring, but it has its fans.  Personally, I recommend you immerse yourself in DS9!
Babar

« Reply #121 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »

I'm a big TOS fan. But it definitely has its flaws, basically 1/4 of the episodes are bad, but enjoyable through the camp factor (still, just single-watch material). But some are absolute gold. I can make you a watch-list of the real good stuff if you want.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
jm

« Reply #122 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »

Actually, I would like that.  Because, as willing as I am to watch all of TNG, I really don't have the energy for any of the other series(es) aside from select TOS episodes.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
jebreject

« Reply #123 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:52:52 PM »

Sure, Babar, i'd appreciate that!

ellaguru

« Reply #124 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:29:33 PM »

Miri (probably not a great episode, but I thought Miri was pretty cute. Also: bonk bonk on the head)
The Menagerie (one beep yes, two beeps no)
Balance of Terror (Romulans!)
Shore Leave (Kirk's shirt gets ripped)
Space Seed (which is the one with Khan! in it)
The Devil in the Dark (attack of the killer shag carpet monster)
The City on the Edge of Forever (is actually pretty good)
Amok Time (Spock in heat)
Mirrror Mirror (goatee = alternate universe)
The Trouble with Tribbles (of course)
The Gamesters of Triskelions (20 quatloos on the newcomer)
A Piece of the Action (the requisite gangster timetravel episode)
Day of the Dove (isn't really all that great, but there's lots of sword fighting in it)

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Broke Warp 10, had magic space-lizard babies; the new STAR TREK thread.
Jump to: