Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 30, 2014, 04:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657933 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 100 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: clubbing? dancing? late nights?  (Read 5321 times)
diesel_powered

« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »

Part of it being different is also due to the fact that most cities have strict legal boundaries between places with bars, stages, and dance floors. It's all a way to squeeze more money out of owners, but for the most part, it's actually illegal in most places to encourage dancing at places that don't have a properly licensed dance floor. In Minneapolis, for example, there's an ordinance that bans dancing after certain hours. Strip clubs can be open 24/7, but not dance clubs. In my old neighborhood in Michigan, one of the bars was actually shut down for not having a properly licensed dance floor. Overall, the U.S. is pretty restrictive on the bar/club scene, partly due to puritanical tendencies, and partly due to the perceived excesses of disco.

I think the U.S. also has far more negative connotations with the "club" scene than in Europe. There's "in da club" with dress codes, bottle service, and grinding on hoochies. Then there's the frat connotation, which has been discussed here. Then there's the exclusivity/dress code/Studio 54 part. Then there's the ecstasy-popping/body glitter rave connotation which has ultimately become a parody of itself, in addition to being aggressively stamped out by the media and authorities for its drug connotations. And finally, there's the gay connotation, which pretty much extends to dance music in general in this country. Overall, in my experience, rather than a place to come to relax and shake ass, clubs in the U.S. are primarily a place to either fail at others' expectations or ruminate about your hang ups. Which makes me sad.

But that being said, I loves me a good dance party. Some of the best times I've had were going to the afterhours at one of the gay clubs in Omaha or hitting some of the various clubby venues in Minneapolis. Minneapolis tends to be a little different in that regard because the two major downtown venues have always been pretty equally split between shows and dance nights, so the dance nights tend to be pretty fun and lacking in bullshit. But because of the above, getting other people to come out with me was always like pulling teeth, even though whenever I dragged people out, they'd always have a good time.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
donblood
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »

New York has dance licenses and actually police bars with jukeboxes to make sure no one's dancing.  Seriously, I am not making this up.  There was even a "sting" operation in which a female NYPD officer started dancing, then ticketed the place when others joined her.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »

Ah yes, the cabaret license. I'd wager that's a Tammany Hall legacy.

think 'on the road.'
narlus

« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »

New York has dance licenses and actually police bars with jukeboxes to make sure no one's dancing.  Seriously, I am not making this up.  There was even a "sting" operation in which a female NYPD officer started dancing, then ticketed the place when others joined her.

sounds like it's straight out of The Onion

donblood
« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2010, 04:16:39 PM »

Ah yes, the cabaret license. I'd wager that's a Tammany Hall legacy.

Also a money-getting legacy
elpollodiablo

« Reply #30 on: Mar 25, 2010, 04:17:08 PM »

Most Tammany legacies are.

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #31 on: Mar 25, 2010, 06:24:51 PM »

There was even a "sting" operation in which a female NYPD officer started dancing, then ticketed the place when others joined her.
Isn't that entrapment?
DCDave

« Reply #32 on: Mar 25, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »

There was even a "sting" operation in which a female NYPD officer started dancing, then ticketed the place when others joined her.
Isn't that entrapment?

Entrapment requires the defendant to demonstrate that it was something they would not have been predisposed to do under normal circumstances.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Ashley

« Reply #33 on: Mar 25, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

I think the U.S. also has far more negative connotations with the "club" scene than in Europe. There's "in da club" with dress codes, bottle service, and grinding on hoochies. Then there's the frat connotation, which has been discussed here. Then there's the exclusivity/dress code/Studio 54 part. Then there's the ecstasy-popping/body glitter rave connotation which has ultimately become a parody of itself, in addition to being aggressively stamped out by the media and authorities for its drug connotations. And finally, there's the gay connotation, which pretty much extends to dance music in general in this country. Overall, in my experience, rather than a place to come to relax and shake ass, clubs in the U.S. are primarily a place to either fail at others' expectations or ruminate about your hang ups. Which makes me sad.
I'm not a person who dances often.  I'm working on getting over it because I have recently learned I fucking love to dance.  The only times I've danced is when I'm really drunk and at a bar with work people, and usually then waaaaay too many weird foreigners try to pick me up.  Another time was when I was out with kink people to a "fetish night" at a gay bar that was a part of pride week.  Most recently was at another kink night with my boy and his roommate that had a play section, a bar and a dance bit.  That was more like a rave but with less body glitter.  I have to say, I really enjoyed it - dancing other places makes me pretty self concious, but when people dress up and go really over the top, and you're dressed up and really over the top, its a lot easier to just chill out and do your thing.  But I also haven't learned to break my personal dance barrier to maybe I just need to chill out and do my thing all the time and dance where ever, because somethings I feel like that's what I'm meant to do.

But wait, would this get me arrested?

Also I really like glitter in a nasty way so maybe I'm just a raver at heart.  Sad

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Good Intentions

« Reply #34 on: Mar 25, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »

Isn't that entrapment?

Entrapment requires the defendant to demonstrate that it was something they would not have been predisposed to do under normal circumstances.
That's fucked up.
mixed cats

« Reply #35 on: Mar 25, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »

I've been to like, two legit dance parties. And I've been drug into clubs for bachelorette party things. In the first instance it was more voluntary and I just got sweaty with everyone else (see also: times I've gone to see dancey bands). The latter I go about ten minutes and freak out and need to leave.

Every so often I make plans to go to Sex Dwarf with one of my friends in order to de-hermit ourselves just one night and behave out of our normal comfort zones, but something always happens to prevent it.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
alistarr*

« Reply #36 on: Mar 26, 2010, 04:59:21 AM »

man, this thread turned out to be fascinating in a totally different way than i hoped!

i think i heard about the new york dancing ban thanks to the !!! record ("me and giuliani down by the schoolyard"?) so i guess i shouldn't have been surprised by some of the cultural difference on show, but i nevertheless find it really interesting to read everyone's posts.

here in manchester - and i'd guess elsewhere - we have plenty of each of the club types and club-goer types that diesel_powered describes, but i think outside of certain places (the clubs in the middle of canal street, which is basically one long cobbled street lined with gay bars, for example) then in pretty much any venue there'll be a decent split between people you might say build their lifestyle around this particular kind of club/music/culture and those who are just there for a good time on that particular friday night. the metal club we like is usually filled with as many plain janes and indie kids as it is metalheads and my chemical romance fans, and things like that dubstep night are the same way. but then like i say, there are plenty of places where you'd probably feel like a sore thumb or you just wouldn't be allowed in anyway (but, again, having said that i've been to high class places and hip hop places and techno places and over 30s places and never really felt too out of place - and if they're not full then "getting in" is often just a case of wearing shoes and trews and not being part of a massive single-gender group of drunk people). i think the student population (something like 30,000 current students? and a bunch of graduates who stuck around too, of course) helps with this to some extent, but it's obviously not the only reason for it.

i guess the other thing to mention is that there's no real split between people who go to concerts and people who go dancing. there are, of course, people who only like one or the other, and obviously 80% of the population doesn't have as good taste in either thing as i do, but especially in the yuong people/indie music type subcultures in the UK it's pretty common for a band to play a show in a club venue, have the show finish at 11 or 12 or 1 or whatever and then the club night will start once they're done. one of my favourite nights here sometimes has guest bands that play guitarry dance music, and they come on at like 1am right in the middle of the night (which runs 11-4).

basically, dancing is awesome, especially when combined with a modest amount of alcohol, some good friends and a bunch of flashing lights and happy strangers. so if you call that a dance party or a bar with a dancefloor or the best house party ever or whatever else it might be, i encourage you all to do more dancing. and because i so enjoyed reading about sex dwarf as linked by mixed cats above, i'll come back later to post links to some of my favourite places to dance in manchester.
clare

« Reply #37 on: Mar 26, 2010, 06:29:55 AM »

Here I think most of the nightclub scene is a meat-market (as described above) for the "young people". I've hardly ever been to them (that not being my bag, baby, even in my youth) though the best times are typically had at gay bars - better quality of music and less likelyhood of sleaze.

Ali, is Manchester 24hour Party People land? I forget. (In my defence, I don't think I've ever seen it all the way through.)

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
alistarr*

« Reply #38 on: Mar 26, 2010, 07:00:49 AM »

yeah, that's all about factory records and the hacienda isn't it? someone recently (about  a month ago, i think) opened a new club in the old factory records offices actually, pandering to the kind of people who like to spend all day at home listening to the kings of leon and the stone roses and then go out at night and dance to... the kings of leon and the stone roses. probably my least favourite kind of club. but i'll probably be heading down there at some point (and leaving as soon as is polite) because one of my friends from school is a big fan of... the kings of leon and the stone roses. and blue wkd (alcopop), boring looking student types who maintain that oasis are still half-decent and ridiculously cheap vodka shots.

this thread is beginning to feel more and more like a confessional or a coming-out-of-the-closet type experience, especially now that representatives of most lptj-reading nations have expressed their lack of interest in nightclubs.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #39 on: Mar 26, 2010, 07:07:59 AM »

I'd go to Sex Dwarf just for the $2 domestic beers.

My friend at work is a dubstep kid whose brother is a semi-successful DJ. He's been trying to get me to go to one of their parties for a long time, and it's certainly on my list of things to do before leaving the city. Though I don't know how well I could dance to dubstep.

think 'on the road.'
clare

« Reply #40 on: Mar 26, 2010, 07:18:45 AM »

I think so (about 24 hour party people)I've only seen bits of it on a plane i think, but that rings some bells.

this thread is beginning to feel more and more like a confessional or a coming-out-of-the-closet type experience, especially now that representatives of most lptj-reading nations have expressed their lack of interest in nightclubs.

Well, i think that clubbing is a different experience in the UK, there's more of an alternative scene or something...so I wouldn't feel too self-conscious about it if I were you  ;-)

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
alistarr*

« Reply #41 on: Mar 26, 2010, 09:46:16 AM »

My friend at work is a dubstep kid whose brother is a semi-successful DJ. He's been trying to get me to go to one of their parties for a long time, and it's certainly on my list of things to do before leaving the city. Though I don't know how well I could dance to dubstep.

it can be tricky, but it's pretty fun. for me it's all about following the big bass hits rather than the fast drums so i end up doing this weird swaying kind of half-dance and then making bigger movements around the bass drops, but most other people seem to treat it like techno or upbeat hip hop and are really quite energetic. i'm pretty sure i'm a terrible dancer who just doesn't care about being a terrible dancer, though, so you shouldn't really pay attention to me.
Chet

« Reply #42 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »

Here in Scunthorpe, the only kind clubs we have are the kind that are frequented by girls with orange skin and guys wearing Gio Goi t-shirts and G-Star jeans. The music is whatever top 40 dance hit is popular at the time or rapidfire mixes consisting of snippets of shit like 'Jump Around' and Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now'.

Also, someone gets stabbed outside of a kebab shop and lairy working class British boys try and find Eastern Europe immigrants to fight with.

Whenever I go to such places I need to get incredibly drunk in order to make it through the night.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
alistarr*

« Reply #43 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »

sounds like my parents' town, and indeed most of the other towns and smaller cities in england!

good luck with your application to manchester university!
davy

« Reply #44 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »

yeah, that's all about factory records and the hacienda isn't it? someone recently (about  a month ago, i think) opened a new club in the old factory records offices actually, pandering to the kind of people who like to spend all day at home listening to the kings of leon and the stone roses and then go out at night and dance to... the kings of leon and the stone roses.

Kings of Leon does not compute!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #45 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »

it can be tricky, but it's pretty fun. for me it's all about following the big bass hits rather than the fast drums so i end up doing this weird swaying kind of half-dance and then making bigger movements around the bass drops, but most other people seem to treat it like techno or upbeat hip hop and are really quite energetic. i'm pretty sure i'm a terrible dancer who just doesn't care about being a terrible dancer, though, so you shouldn't really pay attention to me.

Yeah the way he explained it to me was that generally newcomers try to take this uptempo approach to it, but it's more about grooving on the thrumming bass and fluid motion.

think 'on the road.'
Chet

« Reply #46 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »

sounds like my parents' town, and indeed most of the other towns and smaller cities in england!

good luck with your application to manchester university!
Oh yeah, thanks. I am trying to write my essay now. (edit: I am assuming you saw my post the other day. If not they have asked me to send them an essay in order to give me application further consideration)
Either way, unless UoM don't give me an offer and Nottingham do, I will almost certainly be moving to Manchester this September! (be that at UoM or Met)

alistarr*

« Reply #47 on: Mar 26, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »

yeah i read your post, but only because i had to check up on your recent posts to see where you'd been hiding these past few evenings. as detailed elsewhere reading lptj is a very time-consuming affair for me right now so i can only handle reading maybe three or four threads per day. hope it's going okay, anyway.

Yeah the way he explained it to me was that generally newcomers try to take this uptempo approach to it, but it's more about grooving on the thrumming bass and fluid motion.

nice to know i'm not doing it entirely wrong!
Efli

« Reply #48 on: Mar 26, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »

[delurk]

Hey Chet, you're from Scunthorpe? Small world, me too (though I got out to Sheffield three years back to uni)

My brother DJs at Henry's (or whatever they're calling it now) but I haven't been there for years. It sounds like it hasn't remotely changed.
Chet

« Reply #49 on: Mar 26, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »

Wow. Incredibly small world! Considering the small amount of posters on here, I imagine the odds of their being two people from Scunthorpe would be incredibly long.

Henry's is now called 'Love'. It's probably the absolute worst for Orange girls. A few years back on my 21st I beat up on the way out of there. Amazing night.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: clubbing? dancing? late nights?
Jump to: