Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 04:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658132 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Smacking lusers with the clue-by-four (the new tech support thread)  (Read 35113 times)
coldforge

« Reply #250 on: Nov 13, 2011, 02:51:42 AM »

8.8.8.8 IS an actual DNS server, it just happens to be operated by Google. But it exists.

l'era del terzo mondo.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #251 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:47:31 PM »

Yeah.  Your lecture is well-met Jim.  The google DNS was coming recommended by a lot of people on varios mac help threads.  Now I've got some Comcast-suggested numbers in there, so we'll see how they go.  I feel like I did the Comcast ones about a month ago, but now I've got some ipv6 shit up in there, too, which I have a tenuous grasp on, but I think I have it all plugged in sufficiently.  So far so good.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #252 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:09:25 AM »

I have phantom email in my Gmail inbox. Six unread messages that I cannot find and cannot/will not be displayed by the browser version, nor on my phone. I've tried the is:unread search command to no avail. Any ideas?

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #253 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:56:06 AM »

How about label:unread

That's my only suggestion

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #254 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »

I had a similar problem with Yahoo! a while back and it turned out when I deleted an email, unread, on my phone, it was putting them into a "Deleted Items" folder separate from the normal Yahoo Trash folder, so they were still showing up in the unread count in the browser page title but not in my inbox. This is probably something completely different but maybe there's an analogous solution?

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #255 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:59:15 AM »

Weirdly, when I do that I get 1-20 of "many" messages that are like borderline spam: old Facebook notifications, MLA bullshit, Brooklyn Public Library, etc. Even weirder is that I always sort/delete that sort of shit when it comes through; it never just sits in my inbox. I've also deleted everything in the spam folder and emptied the trash. I tried deleting about sixty of these "unread" emails as well, but it doesn't change the six unread in my inbox.

xpost

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #256 on: Nov 29, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »

AH. I just figured it out by sorting my inbox to unread first--there are six Google Buzz notifications (lol) from March of 2010 that evidently I hadn't read. I guess they're getting shunted out before they kill the service maybe? Weird.

think 'on the road.'
peacocks

« Reply #257 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »

All my shit is broken! Both decks in my tape player are broken and it ate my art of noise tape. 4 of my favorite CDs got stuck in my 5 disc CD changer and it won't be opened, my VHS/DVD player ate my VHS of I Want To Live before I even watched it, and now it's stuck in there, AND my car stereo sucks balls and spits out every CD I put in (and I have to hit it to change channels and the volume knob is jacked)! AAAND the screen of my lap top is slowly becoming detached from the keyboard part so most of the time I am writing to you wonderful people I am seeing all shades of blue or pink, which is kind of cool but damn.

The only things I have to hold my techno-life together is my turntable, speakers, and receiver. Thank goodness.

dick-check your priviledge
elpollodiablo

« Reply #258 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »

Replace everything with an iPhone.

think 'on the road.'
peacocks

« Reply #259 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »

ok

dick-check your priviledge
elpollodiablo

« Reply #260 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »

Networking/VNC question:

I've got a headless media server/torrentbox running XP hooked up to the TV in the living room. I updated the display driver recently and foolishly decided to turn on Windows Automatic Updates, since it hadn't updated in months and months. Due to my idiocy, the box started restarting all the time and I would lose connectivity through VNC and my uTorrent web UI. After the most recent restart, VNC and the torrent web UI just stopped working; I get timeouts every time I try to connect with either one.  I use DynDNS for a DNS redirect service and connect to VNC and the torrent UI on specific ports forwarded through the router. The internal IP of the server is set on the router firmware, and everything matches in the port forwarding setup. The DynDNS monitor looks good, as does the VNC setup. uTorrent works on the box, and it has no internet connectivity problems. Nothing has changed with the VNC or uTorrent client. But it just stopped working. Given everything I've already checked, what should my next step be?

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #261 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »

A Windows update may have changed the software firewall settings in Windows--you may have had it disabled previously but it's been reenabled by the update. I've seen this happen. I'd check that out real quick first.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #262 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Turned off Firewall and Auto Updates in Security Center; is there anywhere else it might need to be disabled?

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #263 on: Jan 19, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »

can't really tell you what to check next. What you're telling me is that there's nothing broken but it's not working. But something's broken to make it not work.

So I'd start by checking each link to see where something is broken. First, verify that the static IP on the server is still the same, either through the UI or the IPCONFIG command. Then, verify that VNC is listening on the same port, both in the UI and using the NETSTAT -abn command. Then, verify that the port forwarding is still forwarding the correct ports to the correct private IP. Then, verify that the public IP of the router matches the public IP you're resolving from DynDNS.

Also sometimes antivirus programs will have software firewalls as well. You might check there. Also double-check anything that you assume hasn't changed.

Another thing you might try is to reset TCP/IP and reconfigure. The reset command is NETSH INT IP RESET <LOGPATH> where <LOGPATH> is something like C:\resetlog.txt, just a path for the reset process to use to create a log.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #264 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »

I changed the server IP address and reset the port forwarding and that seems to have done it. Thanks, Jimbo!

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #265 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »

can I record cell phone calls by just getting a cord, plugging my phone into my laptop, and recording on garageband?

or, more specifically, can I do so easily, without installing a bunch of stuff I'm too lazy and/or stupid to operate?

I have googled around a bit, but everything seems to be about iphones. I don't have an iphone.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #266 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »

I don't know how you'd go about recording audio on a cell phone on your computer. You'd be much better off making the call through some VoIP option (Gmail or Skype, etc.) and using a third party application to record the call.

think 'on the road.'
auto-da-fey

« Reply #267 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

well damn, I was hoping to just plug the phone in and voila. since I don't even have internet in my apartment, the other methods are out. think I'll just go with old-fashioned note-taking.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #268 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »

Alternatively I guess you could use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-145051-Olympus-TP-7-Telephone-Recording-Device/dp/B000GU88CQ

think 'on the road.'
alistarr*

« Reply #269 on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:43:49 AM »

Or you could use the loadspeaker on your cell phone if it has such a feature and just record the whole room.

Even if you did find a way to plug your phone in to your laptop then I'd imagine you'd only get the other side of the conversation, as your phone won't output your voice anywhere.
Chet

« Reply #270 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

so the display on my laptop keeps cutting out. then when it comes back my computer says something like "display driver failed but has recovered"

the fucks that noise? is my laptop about to die?

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Good Intentions

« Reply #271 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:52:07 PM »

No, it's time for you to get new video drivers.
Chet

« Reply #272 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »

i looked it up and apparently that sometimes happens if too much RAM is being used. sure enough, firefox seems to be using a lot of juice lately. i am now using chrome and the problem has gone away.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Good Intentions

« Reply #273 on: Feb 06, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »

Get new video drivers anyway. You should always keep those up to date - out-of-date drivers are a major cause of computer instability.

The main thing which takes up RAM with Firefox is extensions. Chrome will take almost as much if you install a bunch of extensions on it as well (though Firefox has been having memory problems for a few releases now).
jm

« Reply #274 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »

This is only sorta a "tech support" question, but here goes:

Anybody have any experience making webapps (currently working with Perl, but I'm not sure that matters in the long run) that have to occasionally display non-Latin characters?

Nevermind!  I figured out where my problem was.
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2012, 09:10:31 PM by jm » Logged

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Smacking lusers with the clue-by-four (the new tech support thread)
Jump to: