Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 31, 2014, 01:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 60 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: The Cricket, and maybe some other sports as well  (Read 13168 times)
ralphvirus

« Reply #100 on: Jun 23, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »

Called due to darkness, game will enter it's 3rd day tomorrow.  Unreal.

Dumbfish, I see your point, I guess, but I don't really agree with you.  Strikeouts are boring if you watch baseball just for homeruns, but sometimes watching a brilliant pitcher operate can be just as exciting (most recent example: Strasburg in his MLB debut...14Ks and nearly every one of the electrifying).  By the same token, watching two guys rack up almost 200 aces between them can be pretty exciting also.
Chet

« Reply #101 on: Jun 23, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »

wasn't the winner of this match supposed to be playing in the next round tomorrow?  Laughing

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
RavingLunatic

« Reply #102 on: Jun 23, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »

Strikeouts seem a lot different to me than aces. A strikeout is as much of a battle--and often more of a battle--between the pitcher and hitter than a ball put in play. It can be a fairly long process, and there are dozens of ways to strike a guy out. An ace lasts about half a second, and it's pretty much always done in one of two ways.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
davy

« Reply #103 on: Jun 23, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »

Odd that it seemed like Isner wanted to continue, when it was Mahut who looked physically stronger at that point.

Also, a strike-out at a crucial moment in a baseball game is just as exciting, if not more so, than a homerun.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
ralphvirus

« Reply #104 on: Jun 23, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »

Also, a strike-out at a crucial moment in a baseball game is just as exciting, if not more so, than a homerun.

I would posit the same for an ace.  In this match (right before they called it), Isner was at match point with Mahut serving, and Mahut scorched one right down the center line for a crucial ace.  Would an extended volley have been more exciting?  Probably, but it doesn't mean that an ace was boring in that scenario.
Good Intentions

« Reply #105 on: Jun 23, 2010, 04:26:48 PM »

Woah, woah, woah, let's not jump to conclusions. This game is an absolute aberration. But Mahut was in a similar game all of two weeks ago! Instead of looking at what's strange about the game as a whole, rather track the more significant variable: Mohut!
edison

« Reply #106 on: Jun 23, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »

Not two weeks, actually less than one week - *and* he won the following qualifying match coming back from two sets down!
Good Intentions

« Reply #107 on: Jun 23, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »

This match is... wow. Just wow. Someone pointed out that the match, still ongoing, has lasted longer than all the episodes of Firefly played back to back.
ralphvirus

« Reply #108 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:49:24 AM »

Isner has finally broken Mahut, winst the match 70-68 in the 5th set.
davy

« Reply #109 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »

ISNER!!!!!!

davy

« Reply #110 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:53:06 AM »

11 hours, 5 minutes.

Damn.

Nick Ink

« Reply #111 on: Jun 24, 2010, 01:08:25 PM »

Okay, someone's just told me that the New Zealand badminton team are known as The Black Cocks - reassure me that this isn't true please, someone.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #112 on: Jun 24, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »

Plus: The New Zealand basketball team are known as the 'Tall Blacks'.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Good Intentions

« Reply #113 on: Jun 24, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »

Don't forget the softball team, the Black Sox.

It's all a bit out of hand, really
Nick Ink

« Reply #114 on: Jun 24, 2010, 01:32:28 PM »

11 hours, 5 minutes.

Damn.

Isner served 112 Aces in that match! Even the umpire is going to receive an award, apparently. Good to see both men were so gracious after the match too. Excellent business.

davy

« Reply #115 on: Jun 24, 2010, 03:34:37 PM »

Yeah, seriously. Back slaps all around. An amazing story.

Good Intentions

« Reply #116 on: Jul 22, 2010, 06:35:10 AM »

Play is about to start on the second day of the cricket test between Australia and Pakistan (played in England, only the fourth test in over 130 years of international play to be held in a neutral county, but that's another story). But because of the time difference, I only saw the highlight's from yesterday's play a few hours ago, and it's a beauty. Pakistan put in a magnificent display of fast bowling, slinging the cherry at the hapless Australians at ridiculous speeds while getting the ball to swing viciously and cut and jag off of the pitch. Track down some video highlights if you want to see a sterling example of some of the excitement cricket has to offer. (Be aware that the main cricket video highlights site, Cricket Online TV, doesn't really do highlights at all, but actually puts as much video online as it can in a quasi-legal way)
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2010, 07:51:32 AM by Good Intentions » Logged
clare

« Reply #117 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:48:44 AM »

Embarassed Yeah, that was a pretty bad first innings score...I didn't see any of it, but the report on the news tonight was dismal...

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #118 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:51:36 AM »

So GI. What do you make of recent talk from some about abolishing the 50 over game? Claims being made that it destroys fast bowlers. Sounds like bullshit to me. 20/20 is nothing but a slugfest from what I've seen. They may as well roll dice to see who wins. A bit of fun but not real cricket. But then many of the old folks (my father for example) had the same opinion of one day cricket.

Test cricket will always be where it's at of course but it's not exactly inviting to new fans.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Good Intentions

« Reply #119 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:07:25 AM »

I really don't see how cricket can keep up having three distinct forms, and of the three in circulation, it looks like the 50 over version that's likely to get the chop. People will figure out T20 soon enough meaning it'll become more competitive (I hope) in a few years. The real shortcoming of that format in my eyes is that it's over so bloody quickly that there's no pressure to build an innings or a partnership, and that's an area where 50 over cricket is clearly better, and maybe there is hope for it yet.

I think the opacity of test cricket is really over-stated: whenever I put on the TV there's bloody golf on, and one of those competitions hardly lasts any less time than a test match. I think if they did something about the pitches to make them less batting-friendly (the main cause of boring cricket) then that would go a long way. (Americans putting aside their irrational distaste for drawn results would help as well).
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #120 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »

It'll take more than that to get americans to like cricket. That's why they have bassball.

edit: But also - I LOVE the 50 over game. The most exciting games I've seen have NZ trying to get 8 runs off the last over at the MCG or some shit. I'd be really sad to see that go and get replaced by fucking 20/20.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2010, 08:56:51 AM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Thermofusion

« Reply #121 on: Jul 22, 2010, 09:34:59 AM »

It'll take more than that to get americans to like cricket. That's why they have bassball.

Not just baseball, but the strangest and most entertaining baseball season in a long time (and it's barely halfway complete)

triple paisley minimum
coldforge

« Reply #122 on: Jul 22, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »

I also love the one-day game. 20/20 is good if, like, I just want to watch people playing cricket for a little while. But if I actually want to see a full game played in any sense, you need at least 50 overs.

It's bizarre to me that people keep thinking, we need more boundaries, more batsman-friendly environments, because that's going to capture attention. In a game where teams are scoring hundreds of points per side, even a 6 is obviously, manifestly not nearly as big a deal as a home run is in a sport where a team might get 4 runs over the course of the full game. Ii don't think that anybody who's got any potential to be interested in cricket would be so thick that they would be unable to derive any thrill from the taking of a wicket, and could only be lured in by dudes knocking it out of the park.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
Nick Ink

« Reply #123 on: Jul 22, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »

Muralitharan has become the first player ever to take 800 Test Match wickets, and he did it on the last day of his career!

Thermofusion

« Reply #124 on: Jul 22, 2010, 11:22:49 AM »

The end of the steroid era and the subsequent power shift back toward technical pitching, infield strategy and 'small ball' has been great for baseball, and it's coinciding with a general decrease in home runs. Watching a versatile pitcher manipulate a batter is more electrifying than a home run. There's an amazing variety of versatile and specialized pitches in the game right now. And watching someone like the Mets' R.A. Dickey reconfigure himself into an old school-style knuckleballer straight out of the early-1900s dead ball era and proceed to baffle everyone he faces...shit like that is why I watch sports. So it ain't all about heavy bats.

triple paisley minimum
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: The Cricket, and maybe some other sports as well
Jump to: