Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658004 Posts in 9261 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 67 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP - new hellish earworm thread  (Read 28193 times)
dieblucasdie

« Reply #50 on: Jul 23, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »

I've still got two full weeks to go, but I've pretty much had "Get Me to the Church on Time" stuck in my head for the last three days.  Ugh.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Antero

« Reply #51 on: Jul 23, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »

Fuck, and just reading that put "Modern Love" in my head.

Though that's not as hilarious.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
jm

« Reply #52 on: Jul 24, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »

PUTS MY TRUST IN GOD AND MAN

(GOD AND MAN)

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
mixed cats

« Reply #53 on: Jul 24, 2010, 10:32:29 PM »

So I was made to karaoke "A Whole New World" from Aladdin last night. Today I suffer.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
clare

« Reply #54 on: Jul 25, 2010, 03:24:49 AM »

Meanwhile, I've still got

"so let's all have fun and play
with dj lance rock today...."

on endless repeat

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Ignatius

« Reply #55 on: Jul 25, 2010, 04:22:15 AM »

So I was made to karaoke "A Whole New World" from Aladdin last night. Today I suffer.

This is a song that will always be in my head. In the run of Disney movies from The Little Mermaid to The Lion King, I will always hate Aladdin the most (hate at all, really) because A Whole New World is, for reasons both personal and general, the most insistent and tenacious song I've ever heard.
Nick Ink

« Reply #56 on: Jul 25, 2010, 04:34:45 AM »

This is a song that will always be in my head. In the run of Disney movies from The Little Mermaid to The Lion King, I will always hate Aladdin the most (hate at all, really) because A Whole New World is, for reasons both personal and general, the most insistent and tenacious song I've ever heard.

Hakuna Mutata! What a wonderful phrase! You'll have no worries, for the rest of your days! It's a problem-free philosophy, Hakuna Mutata!

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
clare

« Reply #57 on: Jul 25, 2010, 04:42:18 AM »

I've managed to avoid Aladdin somehow (I think I'd stopped working with kids, and the big boy was too small) but I'll second Nick's call on The Lion King (says the woman whose cat is named Kovu).

Ignatius

« Reply #58 on: Jul 25, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »

Hakuna Mutata! What a wonderful phrase! You'll have no worries, for the rest of your days! It's a problem-free philosophy, Hakuna Mutata!

You have no obvious excuses and so I'm curious - you were a mostly grown man and nobody's dad in '94 or whenever. But I suppose I dunno how videos work for dads, though. I've only seen about 3 kids' movies with my dad, in the theater or otherwise. But then, I'm the last of three, so maybe he was tired out by the time I reached that age. He also tended bar on weekend nights so that he might provide us with awesome cereal, and that makes taking the kids out a little tough. I remember hearing how my brothers and infant me went to see King Kong and triple features on Saturday afternoons at the village theater when I was a baby.

I'd assumed 'til now that Kovu was an uncorrected reference to Saku Koivu. Somehow it seemed entirely appropriate and probably that Australians would name their cats after Montreal hockey players.

What I mean is, do parents show videos of The Lion King the way my mom and dad did of Sleeping Beauty, etc?
Nick Ink

« Reply #59 on: Jul 25, 2010, 05:35:54 AM »

You have no obvious excuses and so I'm curious - you were a mostly grown man and nobody's dad in '94 or whenever.

Iggy, what?! First, I was 25 in 1994. Second, I've must've watched that film about 30 or so times with one or both of my kids, although they were born later, in 2003 and 2006.

The half of me that remembers not being a father thinks it's a shitty, manipulative Xtian allegory dressed up in saccharine, anthropomorphic tat. But mostly, I think of it as a happy time I spent with my children.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
clare

« Reply #60 on: Jul 25, 2010, 05:57:21 AM »

I'd assumed 'til now that Kovu was an uncorrected reference to Saku Koivu. Somehow it seemed entirely appropriate and probably that Australians would name their cats after Montreal hockey players.

No, it is a Disney reference. He came from a shelter that had rescued a large number of cats from a cat house, the 13 that they hung on to all got Disney names, and the big boy was happy to leave Kovu's name as it was.

In 1994, even though it was a kid's movie, the fact that it was Disney and animated meant it was a really big thing. It permeated popular culture in a way not unlike the Toy Story or Shrek movies have, so being a childless adult at the time doesn't necessarily mean that we didn't see it.

Ignatius

« Reply #61 on: Jul 25, 2010, 06:10:57 AM »

I guess that I am curious mostly about how parents introduce their kids to movies that are neither current nor obvious classics. And instead of "no obvious excuses" I probably should have said "you have no personal attachment to the movie, and your kids were not inundated with marketing strategies demanding they watch it." But then, I don't really know much about Disney's DVD promotions lately or anything, and I'm obviously clueless on how being a parent works generally. I guess if there's a thing I wanted to know, it would be how much do you get to impose your taste and ideals by showing stuff you like to your kids and how much you'd rather just keep them happy? I like happy kids a great deal, for the record.

Like, to really reduce it as simply as possible, I'm sure you love it when your kids are dancing and singing no matter what but there's probably a secret bonus if it's a Menomena song.

edit: sorry, xpost clare... I guess that while I've seen the past decade of Pixar movies as a childless adult, I've somehow managed to avoid thinking of them as meant for kids at all, in a weird way. They are just a fairly reliable series of films. I will be a terrible dad who cannot judge whether a kid will laugh at a thing a bunch or cry a little bit and whether the crying is fear or what.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010, 06:15:04 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Good Intentions

« Reply #62 on: Jul 25, 2010, 06:19:15 AM »

The half of me that remembers not being a father thinks it's a shitty, manipulative Xtian allegory dressed up in saccharine, anthropomorphic tat.
That, and Hamlet minus a death scene or two (dozen).
Nick Ink

« Reply #63 on: Jul 25, 2010, 06:31:23 AM »

Most of the big kids' films from the last 10 years are pretty cool though, aren't they?

One thing I have noticed is that younger children don't seem to discriminate between more modern aesthetics and traditional ones. My two are equally passionate about things like The Aristocats, Lady & The Tramp and Bagpuss as they are Up and WallE. Same with books actually - the recent argument about updating Enid Blyton seems to be something that matters to adults far more than kids, at least my eldest read them quite happily.

Someone said to me recently that the problem with kids today is that they don't watch enough TV. It's a half-joke, but there's some truth in it. In my experience, films and TV have been a brilliant source of imagination, ideas, attention, narratives and language.

I also think it's a real pleasure of being a parent that you see them discover stuff from the past. Some of it, I like myself - at the moment, Ellie's gleefully wading through Star Wars, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Huckleberry Finn, The Beatles, and so on.

I feel like a change is in the wind though, regarding music. Ellie is 7 and will give anything a go at the moment. She hasn't quite realised what's going on in current music yet. I guess she'll be more self-conscious about that in a year or two, but at the moment she's really open-minded. Not sure about Menomena, but she's certainly got a bit of Fiery Furnaces on her mp3 player. She's also quite excited about ABBA at the moment - I think her grandmother did that!  

I didn't really answer your questions - sorry, got a bit of a Sunday Morning head on.  Drool

Ignatius

« Reply #64 on: Jul 25, 2010, 06:55:10 AM »

Nah, I'd much rather hear your thoughts generally than a constrained answer to an imprecise question. I'm particularly curious in your case because you seem to have a pretty strong anti-nostalgic impulse, at least when it comes to the music you listen to.

But I have no idea what Sunday Morning head is. And also, some kids are willful, isolated dorks for years because they fail or refuse to recognize the value of what is popular or current among their peers. There would be no Rush fans at all otherwise. Other kids just have pretty good taste. And I'd reckon hanging around you and Rutger for 7 years might help a child keep a fairly open mind in spite of her social demands.
« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2010, 06:56:42 AM by Ignatius » Logged
clare

« Reply #65 on: Jul 25, 2010, 08:34:06 AM »

I guess that I am curious mostly about how parents introduce their kids to movies that are neither current nor obvious classics. And instead of "no obvious excuses" I probably should have said "you have no personal attachment to the movie, and your kids were not inundated with marketing strategies demanding they watch it." But then, I don't really know much about Disney's DVD promotions lately or anything, and I'm obviously clueless on how being a parent works generally. I guess if there's a thing I wanted to know, it would be how much do you get to impose your taste and ideals by showing stuff you like to your kids and how much you'd rather just keep them happy? I like happy kids a great deal, for the record.

Like, to really reduce it as simply as possible, I'm sure you love it when your kids are dancing and singing no matter what but there's probably a secret bonus if it's a Menomena song.

edit: sorry, xpost clare... I guess that while I've seen the past decade of Pixar movies as a childless adult, I've somehow managed to avoid thinking of them as meant for kids at all, in a weird way. They are just a fairly reliable series of films. I will be a terrible dad who cannot judge whether a kid will laugh at a thing a bunch or cry a little bit and whether the crying is fear or what.

As far as your first point goes - 2004 there was a re-release of the Lion King on DVD so that was an excuse to get it for the big boy (he was then 4) and I was reminded of its existence.

The other bit about how much do we get to impose our tastes on our kids - like Nick said, it depends on the kids and changes with age. I've been trying to get the big boy (now almost 10) to read some of the stuff I liked at that age, but he's just not interested. He's really into Harry Potter and has read them all, but he's unwilling to branch out into something like Susan Cooper. I think this is partly because it is very English and has dated. I'd guess that English kids might have a better time with it. The bloke has tried to get him to watch movies with him. We've had great success with The Marx Brothers, some success with other old movies. He loves The Blues Brothers. So in general it's easier to influence what he watches rather than what he reads - oh, except he's just discovered The Hardy Boys which he loves, so go figure...I've got no answers for you apparently.

Mine's a Sunday evening head.

Nick Ink

« Reply #66 on: Jul 25, 2010, 10:27:44 AM »

But I have no idea what Sunday Morning head is.

Too much red wine and a late night Saturday is all. Not used to it these days.

jm

« Reply #67 on: Jul 27, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »

You know, some people are made of plastic

Some people are made of wood

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #68 on: Aug 11, 2010, 06:34:28 PM »

show me show me show me how you do that trick

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
davy

« Reply #69 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »

There's this nice rootsy ballad on the Mark Olson/Gary Louris disc and the first several times I listened to it, I thought the chorus went like this: "You've gone and left someone / With your pretty fingers."

Question

It struck me as a non-sequitur of sorts, but I wasn't too perturbed by it. After a few days, I incidentally took a look at the lyric sheet:

"You've gone and let someone  /  Turn your pretty name around."

Which is much more compelling, of course, and not at all close to what I'd been hearing. Oh well.

But yeah, that's what's cycling around and around in my brain this morning.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #70 on: Aug 20, 2010, 06:10:21 AM »

Romeo and Juliet, they never felt like this I bet

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
clare

« Reply #71 on: Aug 20, 2010, 07:57:36 AM »

Anyone else get non-musical earworms? The other night I had selections of The Lorax, but it doesn't even have to be in verse to get stuck...

lucky strike

« Reply #72 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »

Privaaate eyes, are waaatching you!
they see your eeevery move.

Privaate eyes, are waaatching you!
they're watchin you watchin you watchin youuuuuuu
Private EEEEEYYEEEEEEEEEES!
this gets stuck in my head every two days or so. i fucking love it, though!

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
dieblucasdie

« Reply #73 on: Aug 25, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »

I've had this fucking thing in my head for like a week. 

'cuz listen, brother
I've got a mother
old and gray
I support her this way
Four shows a day

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
diesel_powered

« Reply #74 on: Aug 26, 2010, 06:10:06 AM »

The worst part about directing these music things is that I get the bands stuck in my head for days while I'm working on them. It's not terrible since I like the vast majority of people I work with, but some variety would be nice.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP - new hellish earworm thread
Jump to: