Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 22, 2014, 08:13:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658120 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: OK, you can stop now: new 'stupid things' thread  (Read 22058 times)
Good Intentions

« on: Jul 16, 2010, 03:04:06 AM »

Call for Abstracts

Stieg Larsson and Philosophy:
The Girl with the Aristotle Tattoo

Edited by Eric Bronson

The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series
Please circulate and post widely.

Apologies for Cross-posting.
To propose ideas for future volumes in the Blackwell series please contact the Series Editor, William Irwin, at wtirwin@kings.edu.
If you have comments or criticisms for the series, please read “Fancy Taking a Pop?” at http://www.philosophypress.co.uk/?p=1131  and join the discussion in the comments section.

Abstracts and subsequent essays should be philosophically substantial but accessible, written to engage the intelligent lay reader. Contributors of accepted essays will receive an honorarium.

Possible themes and topics might include, but are not limited to, the following: Vanger Family Values: Was Martin Destined to Follow His Father?; Why Vengeance is Moral: Nazis, Johns, and the Book of Leviticus; The Psychology of Sadists and Serial Killers; Deadbeat Dads: Zala, Vanger, and The Brothers Karamazov; Elementary, My Dear Blomkvist: What We Learn from Mysteries; Stieg Larsson and Our Dead Author Fetish; Kicking the Artist’s Nest: Good Literature or Guilty Pleasure?; Fermat’s “Marvelous Proof”: Why We Love Mysteries; Media Studies and the Ethics of Revealing Sources; Why Riot Grrrls Love Lisbeth (and Don’t Like You); Is Lisbeth a “Dyke”?; Bodies and Boundaries: Judith Butler and Dragon Tattoos; Intersectionality and Mimmi Wu’s Feminism; Who’s Pinging Whom?: Lisbeth’s Cyborg Manifesto; Psychotics and Whores: Goffman’s Labeling Theory; Medicalization and the Doctors Who Hate Women; Why We Institutionalize the Innocent: Palmgren and Foucault; The Argument from Authority: Why Salander and Vanger Go On the Lamb; Zala’s Secret Section and Foucault’s Governmentality; Surveillance Studies and “The Rolls-Royce of Portable Computers”; Hacker’s Republic: Plague vs. Plato; Is Palmgren a Libertarian?; The Philosopher Who Played With Fire: Larsson’s Marxist Manifesto; Kalle F***ing Blomkvist and Lisbeth F***ing B*tch Salander: An Existential Love Story; Is Mikael Blomkvist an “Insufferable Do-Gooder” or “Just Another A**hole Who Hates Women”?
I have no words.
Antero

« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:34:52 AM »

Let me die.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Greg Nog

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2010, 07:07:21 AM »

I can't believe they used that title instead of my suggestion: The Girl Who Played With a Desperate Stab At Cultural Relevancy
elpollodiablo

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »

One of the possible topics is "Is Lisbeth a 'Dyke?'" with no further thematic qualification?

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:07:59 AM »

Wait, you actually read all those?  Why.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »

Because they're hilarious, you woman-hating a**hole!

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:16:47 AM »

Do the people who write up these proposals actually see/read the thing they're writing proposals for?  Or do they just come into the knowledge that a New Hip Thing has been birthed and find out a few characters' names and reach into the bag of philosophy tropes and apply them at random?

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »

The Trope Bag: Modern Philosophy's Epistemological Struggle for Broader Relevance

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2010, 08:54:50 AM »

There is a branch of philosophy called 'trope theory' (a minor, technical branch, but a branch nonetheless). As you might guess, this series of publications I occasionally highlight would be excellent material for the four or five experts in trope theory that are around.

I think the main concern when writing out this list of possible topics (which must be a sick game by this stage -- nobody could possible pay it any attention) is how to make puns on technical terms.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »

I can't wait to get back into academia where I can make a real difference.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »

Has there been a Lady Gaga one yet?  I'm really surprised there hasn't been.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Greg Nog

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »

Raa Ma Ra Ma Maaa: The Epistemology of Bad Romance
Ignatius

« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »

I was lectured on Lady Gaga's "Teeth" in a class two days ago. It is a really bad, dumb class.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »

Raa Ma Ra Ma Maaa: The Epistemology of Bad Romance

How fucking DARE you

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #14 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »

Guys I am drunk at work from yesterday and love everything about this guys.

Miles can show you the email proof that I am drunk at work.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Maaik

« Reply #15 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:06:39 PM »

Well i feel totally great about national security

I need anne the man lessons
peacocks

« Reply #16 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »

via dad on fb:

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/05/dialectic.htm

Hegel's dialectic is the tool which manipulates us into a frenzied circular pattern of thought and action. Every time we fight for or defend against an ideology we are playing a necessary role in Marx and Engels' grand design to advance humanity into a dictatorship of the proletariat. The synthetic Hegelian solution to all these conflicts can't be introduced unless we all take a side that will advance the agenda. The Marxist's global agenda is moving along at breakneck speed. The only way to completely stop the privacy invasions, expanding domestic police powers, land grabs, insane wars against inanimate objects (and transient verbs), covert actions, and outright assaults on individual liberty, is to step outside the dialectic. This releases us from the limitations of controlled and guided thought.

dick-check your priviledge
Aglaya

« Reply #17 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:38:05 PM »

I walk by the philosophy section at work every day.  The Watchmen, Alice in Wonderland, Twilight, every current popular thing gets an "and Philosophy" book.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2010, 02:03:24 PM by Aglaya » Logged

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
DCDave

« Reply #18 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »

via dad on fb:

http://www.crossroad.to/articles2/05/dialectic.htm

Hegel's dialectic is the tool which manipulates us into a frenzied circular pattern of thought and action. Every time we fight for or defend against an ideology we are playing a necessary role in Marx and Engels' grand design to advance humanity into a dictatorship of the proletariat. The synthetic Hegelian solution to all these conflicts can't be introduced unless we all take a side that will advance the agenda. The Marxist's global agenda is moving along at breakneck speed. The only way to completely stop the privacy invasions, expanding domestic police powers, land grabs, insane wars against inanimate objects (and transient verbs), covert actions, and outright assaults on individual liberty, is to step outside the dialectic. This releases us from the limitations of controlled and guided thought.

OH NO NOT A DICTATORSHIP OF THE PROLETARIAT.

Isn't that what happens when Tea Partiers vote?

peacocks

« Reply #19 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »

omg thank you so much for that!  Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with some of the stuff my dad finds on the internet and decides to defend.

dick-check your priviledge
lucky strike

« Reply #20 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »

pea, i'm telling dad.

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
DCDave

« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:14:40 PM »

How do you even "step outside of the dialectic?" Instead of talking about things you just yell about them and shove cotton in your ears?  Because that's already what Republicans do.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:19:05 PM »

Yeah, I like how a dialectic model of history is something you can choose or not. Hey guys have you heard of this entropy thing?  We'd better stop doing that or there will be heat death.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
DCDave

« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:20:33 PM »

Yeah, I like how a dialectic model of history is something you can choose or not. Hey guys have you heard of this entropy thing?  We'd better stop doing that or there will be heat death.

That Marxist Black comedian was telling all those jokes about how white people drive like this and black people drive like this.

A thing is different than another thing.  I am a Marxist?

lucky strike

« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »

no, yr a racist

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: OK, you can stop now: new 'stupid things' thread
Jump to: