Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 22, 2014, 05:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657761 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: OK, you can stop now: new 'stupid things' thread  (Read 21663 times)
coldforge

« Reply #350 on: Oct 13, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »

Quote from: New York Times Style Section
Thanks to the Web, college women have instant access to the latest trends. Many take them seriously, leaving the disheveled student look behind.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
nonotyet

« Reply #351 on: Oct 13, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »

What Plan B does: Zap that sucker at the source! No, I don't actually think there is a "sucker." I would not talk in such a ... glib tone about abortion, which I believe, yes, is murder -- "the extermination of the powerless by the powerful," as my #1 bitch hero Camille Paglia would say, and you can be as liberal as you want but there are biological facts to acknowledge. Yet it's a murder within the confines of MY biological body, not in the governed-by-society rules, and thus I have the right to murder it. Just like I have the right to kill myself!

I just do not even know where to begin.
coldforge

« Reply #352 on: Oct 13, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

I'm not clicking through, but if this person is essentially proposing a model where the body is a microcosm of the body politic, with its own set of natural ethics, of which she is absolute monarch, and thus murder has an independent intracorporeal existence, and she also has the a priori right to commit it—that's awesome. I approve.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #353 on: Oct 13, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »

I did a bunch of googling because I was SURE that post was a parody of some sort.  Apparently she is a real person who gets paid to write things.  Ugh.

2) Birth control pills. NO. They will make me fat; they will make me "spot" (another thing I squeamishly just DON'T LIKE TALKING ABOUT; don't worry, though, everyone else who works here does); they will give me acne; and quite frankly, they will NOT prevent me from getting pregnant! I know this because IT HAPPENED TO ME™.

No, I didn't take my pills right; I forget things like this unless they are FUN pills, or what I BELIEVE, delusionally, to be a "fun" pill at the time; anyway, the point is, unless a pill gets me speedy or doped up as all hell I will NOT remember to take it, and then I will get pregnant! I JUST WILL. (IHTM™.)

She is like Mirror Universe Jess or something

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
alex

« Reply #354 on: Oct 13, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »

Amazingly enough, that paragraph nonotyet posted was very likely the sanest part of the whole article.
coldforge

« Reply #355 on: Oct 13, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »

I totally endorse everything this woman is saying.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #356 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »

The piece's author, in the comments:

I was reading his cruise ship thing and i didn't know much about him and for some reason i was confusing him with the guy who jumped off the staten island ferry , and then i was like, wait, DFW COULDN'T have killed himself -- the cruise ship essayist guy?! and then i googled him and he'd HUNG himself; it completely freaked me out. because i read his stuff and it reminded me of ME, and i was like, oh, see depressive personalities can be these successful writers. then i found out he OFFED himself. after reading all those funny insights he had into the state fair and everything. it freaked me out.

Seriously, someone had to have written this piece for the sole purpose of trolling LPTJ.

JamesSchneider

« Reply #357 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »

The piece's author, in the comments:

I was reading his cruise ship thing and i didn't know much about him and for some reason i was confusing him with the guy who jumped off the staten island ferry , and then i was like, wait, DFW COULDN'T have killed himself -- the cruise ship essayist guy?! and then i googled him and he'd HUNG himself; it completely freaked me out. because i read his stuff and it reminded me of ME, and i was like, oh, see depressive personalities can be these successful writers. then i found out he OFFED himself. after reading all those funny insights he had into the state fair and everything. it freaked me out.

Seriously, someone had to have written this piece for the sole purpose of trolling LPTJ.

100% Agree. Holy Moley!

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #358 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:26:35 PM »

the CAPS problem is because i have to write everything in word first then paste it into a plaintext on the stupid system and so initially i would CAPS my emphasis to remind me to go back and italicize but then i never do; it became me. i HATE caps, but see, you can't italicize in the comments either. trust me, writing for online fucks up a lot of things for me, though it has taught me really great things about paragraphs. DO know that i am a magazine writer by trade and SNIFF upon caps anywhere but in web culture, where i allow them now most dutifully to reign. esp in my heds

Holy fuck.  Seriously, this has to be a put-on.

jm

« Reply #359 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »

Yeah man, I don't know.  To me it reads like trolling, but.  To what end?  What audience is the audience she's trolling?

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #360 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:40:06 PM »

Oh, I'm just in disbelief, here.  By everything I can tell, it seems to be real.  The comment thread is absolutely amazing.

Greg Nog

« Reply #361 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:44:08 PM »

This is REMARKABLE
jess

« Reply #362 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:47:05 PM »

She sort of seems like she's trolling but also just like she's (wait for the technical term) crazypants. I've met that type before—they love the attention of being OMGSOCRAZY and if people respond negatively to that, they can blame it on being so controversial instead of being socially inept and unlikable (also probably true). It's like she's trying to be a manic pixie dream girl, but forgets that that only isn't severely annoying in the movies (and even then, often a stretch).
dieblucasdie

« Reply #363 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »

OK, Cat. I'm going to ask the obvious question. WHAT ABOUT DISEASES?!?! You're killin' me Smalls!

yeah yeah, i get blood tested a lot though. I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

hannah

« Reply #364 on: Oct 13, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »

She sort of seems like she's trolling but also just like she's (wait for the technical term) crazypants. I've met that type before—they love the attention of being OMGSOCRAZY and if people respond negatively to that, they can blame it on being so controversial instead of being socially inept and unlikable (also probably true). It's like she's trying to be a manic pixie dream girl, but forgets that that only isn't severely annoying in the movies (and even then, often a stretch).

Haha, that perfectly describes the person I've quoted a bunch here [edit: not in this thread, elsewhere in the forum] in the past (the one who wrote about going to the nail salon and then reflected on the class system). She's just telling it like it is, don't you know!
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011, 07:14:25 PM by hannah » Logged
jess

« Reply #365 on: Oct 13, 2011, 11:28:01 PM »

OK, Cat. I'm going to ask the obvious question. WHAT ABOUT DISEASES?!?! You're killin' me Smalls!

yeah yeah, i get blood tested a lot though. I mean, what's the worst that can happen?

Natural selection.
Maaik

« Reply #366 on: Oct 21, 2011, 12:54:56 AM »

And the Daytime Emmy for Concern Trolling goes to... Dave Ramsey.

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/dear-occupy-wall-street/lifeandmoney_economy/

I need anne the man lessons
elpollodiablo

« Reply #367 on: Oct 21, 2011, 06:47:27 AM »

Yeah man, I don't know.  To me it reads like trolling, but.  To what end?  What audience is the audience she's trolling?

Incidentally, this whole thing is another example of the Internet House Style I've been bitching about for a while on Facebook. There but for the grace of god goes Tiger Beatdown!

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #368 on: Oct 21, 2011, 06:48:40 AM »

Anyway:

in some ways they are SO not a big deal and then sometimes they really
are. it's how you frame things in your mind, and I guess lately i've
been thinking about things. I mean, I just don't know. the abortions themselves were not difficult for me emotionally or physically (except for my first which i had in the second trimester under horrific circumstances when I was very young) (and the circumstances of the third pregnancy -- how i got pregnant -- was a trauma; the procedure itself was fine). in most ways I am GLAD, so much, that we can all get abortions like we can get oral surgery, and that no one pressures us to dwell upon and consider the hurt inherent in it all. only recently have i thought about them and my own experiences in a way that let them or the trauma of them matter, or register as awful physical/emotional/psychological experiences to have gone through. traumas.. if that makes sense. I definitely have let my pro-choiceness numb out my feelings.

yo... what? What, yo?

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #369 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »

have you read some of her other posts?  Here she interveiws the Kardashians:

Cat: Like I’m a mega-fan. Is that corny?

Khloe: Crazy. Like a crazy Kardashian.

Cat: I was thinking that I would rather interview you than the president.

Kourtney: Really?

Cat: Anybody with a sister has to be into you guys. Like I have an older sister and a younger brother, and I have a theory that the only people that hate on the Kardashians are only children because everybody else gets it.

Cat: ARG. You guys, we have some really crazy questions and I just want you NOT to hate ME for asking them. Because, again, I’m so your biggest fan!

In this amazing piece, she talks about her (possible) eating disorder and drug habits:

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/been-there-done-drunkorexia

But “drunkorexia” is definitely the buzzword the media is trying to make happen again right now. But, like I said, it's so not new. In college and beyond, I was definitely "drunkorexic"! I never ate and I partied constantly.

I went to Eugene Lang, which is a tiny undergraduate division of New School University here in downtown New York. And by “went,” I mean I occasionally showed up blurry-eyed to class in a Juicy Couture sweatsuit (it was like 2002 – we all did).

She also apparently does a LOT of Adderall, which explains a lot.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #370 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »

It is utterly unsurprising that she is a New School grad

think 'on the road.'
nonotyet

« Reply #371 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »

I didn't realize the whole thing had turned into "Catgate 2011" until I followed that link! SCHADENFREUDE

#2: We Are Not "Experts"
I was looking for someone to write about Health issues from a non-healthy perspective. I personally find it more interesting to read about someone trying/struggling to be healthy than someone who has it all together (plus there are plenty of those awesome experts out there already and I turn to them when I want sound Health advice).  The title I gave Cat was "Health Critic." She does not give health "advice".

MOST IMPORTANT, #3:  I'm Sorry

In terms of the factual inaccuracies in the post, specifically, I didn't consider that Cat's article could easily be taken as health advice by so many. If I had thought of it, I could have put in an editor's note after any inaccurate information. I could have recommended some reliable sources of birth control information, like Planned Parenthood.

We are going to take what we've learned from this experience and move forward, and try to do better in the future. I hope some of you will stick around to see how it works out.

....health critic?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #372 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:39:23 AM »

Hey pollo, that "drunkorexia" piece also contains a photo of her partying with AJ Soprano:

elpollodiablo

« Reply #373 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »

hahaha oh man

Are we sure this isn't a JT Leroy-type situation? It's just all so purposefully and cruelly ignorant.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #374 on: Oct 21, 2011, 10:53:04 AM »

I mean holy SHIT how can this person be a real person
When it comes to “sociopolitical” issues, I tend to focus on the important things: when Obama was running against John McCain, for example, I became enchanted with and then progressively freakishly obsessed with that filthy rich, fallen rodeo queen, pillpopping, brittle-boned, heavily eye-lined-always, bleached-blond flower CINDY MCCAIN, who is now allegedly having some sort of steamy affair, God bless her:

Since Cindy wasn’t on the ballot that year, I didn’t bother to vote for anyone for president. Big deal! I’ve lived in New York since 2000 and every year the damn presidential election for New York State is the same. Nor do I vote for anything local: not for senators or house of representative people (what are they called?). And certainly not in elections for governors or mayors or state senators or city council.

Who has the fucking time! Instead, I like the sleep in on election days and tell my bosses that the line was really long at “P.S. [public school] ___insert made-up-number here ____.” Always works.

Now lest you think I am entirely without political conviction, know also that I was raised by a humorless, militantly right wing, ultra-conservative, LITERALLY CARD-CARRYING MEMBER of the GOP party, who was abusive, evil, pathologically narcissistic and controlling. I loathe my dad. He sucks!

And guess who my father hates? Gay people. Which is why, though I care very little about the economy or global warming or whatever, I am adamantly pro-gay rights! And outspoken about it always. I mean, I may not vote or whatever, but I always scream at someone who says “faggot.”

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: OK, you can stop now: new 'stupid things' thread
Jump to: