Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 01, 2014, 01:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 57 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: we're still making music, not quite sure why  (Read 43822 times)
alistarr*

« Reply #125 on: Jan 10, 2011, 03:37:03 PM »

just tried to be clever and load my wave files into one track, and some rips of songs i think have dynamics worthy of plagiarising into another track (so i can compare them), and something awesome and weird has happened and now my tracks are all playing back really slow and low-pitched, so i've just wasted about half an hour skipping back and forth listening to different bits of it.

also, "what goes on" sounds great at the wrong speed.
alistarr*

« Reply #126 on: Jan 11, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »

alistair's diary, 11/1.

i'm thinking to re-export the one or two songs that were already close to clipping in places at slightly lower levels, then load everything into one project, get the peaks at around the right levels in comparison to one another, then use very light compression across most of the dynamic range to squash it together a touch, plus a limiter on like the top couple of decibels just to say hell no to any ridiculous spikes. that way i should hopefully keep my cherished dynamics but still make the quiet beginnings at least come through at a reasonable kind of level. then up the gain of it all so that the peaks are near to the top.

the goal is really just to stop it sounding conspicuously quiet when my girlfriend's mp3 player picks one of our songs between the wannadies and ashlee simpson when she's listening on shuffle, so i think that should do the trick. last night i spent ages on it after that last post though and didn't really get anywhere, so i'm trying to keep my expectations low.
alistarr*

« Reply #127 on: Jan 13, 2011, 03:21:23 PM »

alistair's diary, 13/1.

the compression thing seems to have gone okay. the computer says it's louder and my ears say it still sounds good, so i'm calling that a result. but now all that reading i've done has made me think i can make the mixes sound better with a bit of EQ. so now i'm learning about that.

last album we just recorded a bunch of stuff, pushed the faders into vaguely the right places and called it a day. i guess later i'll go listen to it again and see if it actually sounds bad.
Antero

« Reply #128 on: Jan 20, 2011, 02:59:20 AM »

Leopold & Loeb is back in action!

Saturday.  Quenchers.  9 PM.

Holy crap!

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
jebreject

« Reply #129 on: Jan 23, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »

How'd it go?

PS set something up in MKE

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Antero

« Reply #130 on: Jan 24, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »

Loud, sloppy, hyperenergetic.  I was going waaaaay too hard and was exhausted towards the end of the set, as my screaming muscles were not yet in shape.  Slept through most of Sunday.

And, we totally will!

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
lucky strike

« Reply #131 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »

i have been listening to songs at varying speeds, too, while retaining the pitch. on some serious ulillillia shit. i don't know where to upload stuff, or i'd upload some short loops of stuff i've been working on this week. i sampled some of macca's vocal bass ('unhh') from she's my baby at 75% speed. i think i'm going to use it.

where can i upload .shitwav under 5 mb?

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
Maaik

« Reply #132 on: Feb 01, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »

Did some stencil work last night.  Gonna put a few of these up around town tomorrow morning.

I need anne the man lessons
sashwap

« Reply #133 on: Feb 16, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »

please listen to/download my new album: http://dirtman.bandcamp.com/

it's 16 short kinda weird pop songs.
Maaik

« Reply #134 on: Feb 17, 2011, 12:28:20 AM »

Yay!

I need anne the man lessons
Dick

« Reply #135 on: Feb 17, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »

Dang, these are some pretty good songs.  Good job sashwap!

We believe in hydration.
sashwap

« Reply #136 on: Feb 18, 2011, 12:26:02 AM »

Dang, these are some pretty good songs.  Good job sashwap!

woo! thanks! it's really nice to hear that.
Dick

« Reply #137 on: Feb 18, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »

Are you gonna have this on some physical media?  I need to complete my creepy LPTJ board member musical shrine.

We believe in hydration.
sashwap

« Reply #138 on: Feb 18, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »

Are you gonna have this on some physical media?  I need to complete my creepy LPTJ board member musical shrine.

hoping to...will keep you posted.
coldforge

« Reply #139 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »

Do you have the full complement of Flaming Tusk physical objects?!

l'era del terzo mondo.
Dick

« Reply #140 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »

That was a joke, sadly.  I think I have a couple of Jeb's albums, and a copy of Tri-State Killing Spree's album which I got 2 or 3 years before LPTJ existed.

We believe in hydration.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #141 on: Feb 18, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »

Whaaaat? Did you see us in Louisville in 2001? Is that how that happened?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Dick

« Reply #142 on: Feb 18, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »

Whaaaat? Did you see us in Louisville in 2001? Is that how that happened?
It's a strong possibility, though I don't specifically recall it.  I went to a loooot of hardcore shows in 2001.

Do you remember where you played?

We believe in hydration.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #143 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »

At the Brycc house. The headlining band cancelled, so there were only two bands on the show, us and a side project that Mike from Three Nails For A False Prophet was doing at the time. One word, name started with a B. Don't remember. Anyway, we set up in the smaller front room instead of in the main room, with each band on opposite sides of the room and the audience in the middle, and we did our sets as a battle, with them playing a song and us playing a song, back and forth. I was at the height of my 'provoke the hardcore kids with alternative sexuality' phase, and was wearing tiny black jean shorts with my legs shaved. That caused this whole ruckus on the Initial Records message board afterward, where some kid was like "what was up with that band with the faggot" and Mike from Three Nails was like "If you've got a problem with queers then you have a problem with both bands because I'm queer too," and everything got really tense and uncomfortable. Someone emailed me a link to the thread after the whole thing was over, and I thought it was hilarious.

Anyway, that was when we were touring for our self-titled first CD, which had two different covers. The one that we sold more copies of was the one with the AC/DC Back In Black parody cover, which was all black and said TS/KS and then Tri State Killing Spree under that in smaller letters. If you have that album, our second one is better. If you have Some Words On The Subject Of Being Alive, though, you didn't get it at the Louisville show we did, because it wasn't out at the time.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Dick

« Reply #144 on: Feb 19, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »

Man, BRYCC house, fucking NOSTALGIA.  I saw a lot of bands play in that little room.  They booked a somewhat ludicrous number of shows for that place around 2001-2002 because the rent for that building was about 23409234 dollars a day, and they were constantly scrambling to make it.  I would see three or four shows a week, sometimes.

That was a pretty great place.

We believe in hydration.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #145 on: Feb 19, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »

"throw open the windows and let the rain come in" is just my kind of album title (if it is indeed the album title and not the band name). i like it!

I'm down to trade if you are!

I have a couple CDs left, but I'm hoping to put together a second edition on cassette next time I get paid (probably not for a long long time). Anybody know a good source for blank tapes in europe?

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
alistarr*

« Reply #146 on: Feb 21, 2011, 07:58:12 AM »

sure, why not  Cool

mine should be done in the next week or so - just waiting for bandmate to print and glue the stuff i sent him now. pretty sure it's a lot better than the last one.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #147 on: Feb 23, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »

I was just reminded, I've spun this a few times now--first while driving across New Jersey with the ladyfriend. we both liked it a lot--it's basically what our half-assed barely-existent "band" aspires to sound like, except with, like, talent. and drums.  nice work, sashwap.
sashwap

« Reply #148 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »

I was just reminded, I've spun this a few times now--first while driving across New Jersey with the ladyfriend. we both liked it a lot--it's basically what our half-assed barely-existent "band" aspires to sound like, except with, like, talent. and drums.  nice work, sashwap.

dang it, i thought i replied to this earlier. i've been meaning to say thanks. it's amazing how simply having a drummer can give the illusion of talent  Cool
sashwap

« Reply #149 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »

fewn - haggling powder (2011)

http://fewn.awkwardcore.com/

oh look, my other band made another album. written and recorded in february.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: we're still making music, not quite sure why
Jump to: