Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 29, 2014, 06:45:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657799 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Washington, DC sublets on short notice  (Read 10475 times)
auto-da-fey

« on: Aug 05, 2010, 11:51:44 AM »

So I'm supposed to be in DC next week, at the Library of Congress. As usual, I've put off planning until the last second, which, while not commendable, tends to be my m.o., for (rarely) better or (in this case) worse.

I thought Craigslist would make this a cinch, but it's not really coming through; looks like lots of high-price digs and just a few affordable places, the cheapest of which are out in what I assume to be the suburban boondocks.

The stakes are low for me. I wanted to make this a two-week visit; I've got someone loaning me a place the next week, and if things fall through for the coming week, then whatever, I'll just try to work fast and compress things into the one week. But if I can find an affordable place for Sunday the 8th through Saturday the 14th, that would be cool.

So, if any DC folks could weigh in on these, I'd be grateful--

1. I'm assuming this place in Bowie would be a pain in the ass--verify that?

2. This one in West Hyattesville: also a pain (15 minute walk to Metro, then trek into the city)?

3. any other leads or suggestions? my inclination is to put a "housing wanted" post up, see if it draws anything, and if not, then let it slide because I'm busy anyway, but if anyone has any useful ideas, I'll give 'em a shot.
DCDave

« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2010, 12:16:14 PM »

So I'm supposed to be in DC next week, at the Library of Congress. As usual, I've put off planning until the last second, which, while not commendable, tends to be my m.o., for (rarely) better or (in this case) worse.

I thought Craigslist would make this a cinch, but it's not really coming through; looks like lots of high-price digs and just a few affordable places, the cheapest of which are out in what I assume to be the suburban boondocks.

The stakes are low for me. I wanted to make this a two-week visit; I've got someone loaning me a place the next week, and if things fall through for the coming week, then whatever, I'll just try to work fast and compress things into the one week. But if I can find an affordable place for Sunday the 8th through Saturday the 14th, that would be cool.

So, if any DC folks could weigh in on these, I'd be grateful--

1. I'm assuming this place in Bowie would be a pain in the ass--verify that?

2. This one in West Hyattesville: also a pain (15 minute walk to Metro, then trek into the city)?

3. any other leads or suggestions? my inclination is to put a "housing wanted" post up, see if it draws anything, and if not, then let it slide because I'm busy anyway, but if anyone has any useful ideas, I'll give 'em a shot.

Both of those will be a giant PITA, correct.

Edit: I put out a note on Facebook.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »

thanks Dave, I appreciate it.

one small correction to your FB note: I'm just looking for the one week of 8-14 or 15, I've got a place lined up for the week after that. feel free to send anyone my way on FB, where my contact info should be visible.
DCDave

« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2010, 12:48:32 PM »

1 week mid month sublet = good luck. Unlikely.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »

You might have a point, but then, all it takes is one hit, so I'm not sure it's hopeless.

Either way, whether or not this week pans out*, I'm fairly sure I'll be there most of the week after the 14th, so if you or anyone else in the area wants to get a drink, just let me know and I'm game.

* and thinking out loud, it would be better in some ways if it didn't, because after Sept 1 I'll essentially have an expense account of sorts whereas this would be out of pocket, but I'll also be more pressed for time, so it cancels out in a way.
DCDave

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »

You might have a point, but then, all it takes is one hit, so I'm not sure it's hopeless.

Either way, whether or not this week pans out*, I'm fairly sure I'll be there most of the week after the 14th, so if you or anyone else in the area wants to get a drink, just let me know and I'm game.

* and thinking out loud, it would be better in some ways if it didn't, because after Sept 1 I'll essentially have an expense account of sorts whereas this would be out of pocket, but I'll also be more pressed for time, so it cancels out in a way.

I am absolutely down for a drink. FB me your #.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2010, 11:44:19 PM »

so, Columbia Heights it is, in a hilariously shady under-the-table deal off AirBnB involving an elusive French woman passing a key off to a dude at a gym for the apartment of some guy who just got off a bus in Brooklyn. just what I'll need after five hours of sleep and a long day in the archives!
DCDave

« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2010, 11:19:35 AM »

so, Columbia Heights it is, in a hilariously shady under-the-table deal off AirBnB involving an elusive French woman passing a key off to a dude at a gym for the apartment of some guy who just got off a bus in Brooklyn. just what I'll need after five hours of sleep and a long day in the archives!

YESSSSS. What's the address?  I can tell you if it's real or fake Columbia Heights.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2010, 10:59:50 PM »

keepin' it real?

the French lady, it turns out, is sharing this efficiency with me tonight. would that she were not; maybe it's the lack of sleep or lack of space, but good lord would I like her to leave me alone.
kyle

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »

Eat at Julia's Empanadas and Amsterdam Falafel.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
jess

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2010, 02:23:32 PM »

Mmm yes. Also eat Ethiopian food of course. Whit, you've recently fallen off the vegetarian wagon, right? If so, there are some excellent beef dishes in ethiopian food often made with raw or very rare beef, but if that's too far in the carnivore direction, there are also great vegetarian options.
DCDave

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »

Whit left already.  What a jerk.

Julia's Empanadas are decent, but TDF is waaaay better.

Thermofusion

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2010, 12:46:55 PM »

Amsterdam Falafel.

Man I love that place

triple paisley minimum
DCDave

« Reply #13 on: Aug 16, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »

When I was playing a lot of WoW my schedule was get home, farm for mats/trade goods for auction, bike to Amsterdam Falafel, eat a large falafel, bike home, raid until 2 A.M.

I got a little sick of it, but unfortunately the girl I dated last refused to eat there as she would always spill it on herself so I think I can add it back to my rotation!

Thermofusion

« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »

I think I posted a couple years back about the crazy experience I had the first time I went there. Can't seem to find it though. Suffice to say, that place and the general late-night scene in Adams-Morgan (more from a people-watching/atmospheric angle than anything) were two of the main things that finally sold me on DC. It gets real agreeably trashy in a specific way that I like.

triple paisley minimum
DCDave

« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »

I think I posted a couple years back about the crazy experience I had the first time I went there. Can't seem to find it though. Suffice to say, that place and the general late-night scene in Adams-Morgan (more from a people-watching/atmospheric angle than anything) were two of the main things that finally sold me on DC. It gets real agreeably trashy in a specific way that I like.

The Atlas District late night scene is getting crazy these days in a less horrible puke on the sidewalk way than Adams Morgan.  I bike down 18th st to get to work in the mornings and Mondays are a special kind of assault on my olfactory glands. 

ellaguru

« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »

Adams Morgan is fun. I think between drinking in Adams Morgan and going to the National Gallery we have summed up my entire experience of DC, but it was a good experience.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2010, 02:38:24 PM »

while I failed to avail myself of the DC Ethiopian scene this time around, I was pleasantly surprised by the vegetarian combo at the unassuming Pete's Diner right outside the Library of Congress.

I'll be back in a few months to accompany the ladyfriend to a conference, and will definitely take up those suggestions then.
DCDave

« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

while I failed to avail myself of the DC Ethiopian scene this time around, I was pleasantly surprised by the vegetarian combo at the unassuming Pete's Diner right outside the Library of Congress.

I'll be back in a few months to accompany the ladyfriend to a conference, and will definitely take up those suggestions then.

This time hopefully I won't have cholera/will be in town.

Thermofusion

« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:04:40 PM »

I bike down 18th st to get to work in the mornings and Mondays are a special kind of assault on my olfactory glands. 

Man I can imagine. That is one pukey strip. I'll have my NoVa dude direct me to the Atlas District next time I'm up there, this is the first I've heard of it.

triple paisley minimum
DCDave

« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »

I bike down 18th st to get to work in the mornings and Mondays are a special kind of assault on my olfactory glands. 

Man I can imagine. That is one pukey strip. I'll have my NoVa dude direct me to the Atlas District next time I'm up there, this is the first I've heard of it.

Your other option would be to shoot me a line.  Beer will be cheaper that way (ask Jeb/Wally.)

Thermofusion

« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »

I might do that. He's in Rosslyn, which is basically a business park, so I have to go into DC for entertainment anyway

triple paisley minimum
DCDave

« Reply #22 on: Aug 16, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »

I might do that. He's in Rosslyn, which is basically a business park, so I have to go into DC for entertainment anyway

He lives in Rosslyn on purpose?

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #23 on: Aug 16, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »

Yeah I never really got the NoVa appeal.  If you want cheap rents and still wanna be 10-15 from downtown why not live in columbia heights or adams morgan or something?
Are they still giving away those swanky new digs by navy yard stop?

I think, for a while at least, Dave and I had the distinction of being the only two people in history who reverse commuted to Virginia from DC for work. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Thermofusion

« Reply #24 on: Aug 17, 2010, 09:11:52 AM »

He more or less fell into living there. I guess the best things you could say about it are 1) easy Metro access and 2) easy access to Georgetown (his brother's a grad student there and he commutes by foot)

triple paisley minimum
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Washington, DC sublets on short notice
Jump to: