Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 25, 2014, 11:17:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658135 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Homebrew thread  (Read 15212 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #125 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »

Nice, man! I'll have to post that to our little two-man collaborative blog.

I haven't really had any time for beer in the past week, and likely won't for at least another. Gotta lot of reading lined up for spring break, though, and hopefully a brew day or two.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #126 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:10:38 PM »

Man, that new stout gonna be drrrrryyyyyyyyyyy. Which is exactly how it should be, with the Cara Pils and roasted barley and all.

Got this at the brewery. It is maybe the finest beer vessel I've ever laid eyes on.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #127 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »

ooooooh swingtop growler

that's pretty

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #128 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:59:37 PM »

Goddamn but this American-style ESB turned out super nice. Beautiful deep coppery red; nice malty aroma with just a hint of the Amarillo from dry hopping in secondary; medium-bodied with good upfront malt sweetness (no toasted or caramel notes); light carbonation; long, bitter finish. Clean. Well-balanced. Delicious. Couldn't be happier. Just wish there were more of it. Sad

Also need to bottle that stout; the homebrew reserves are down to about two cases, and I'd like to have the stout conditioning before I brew my next one.

Speaking of, Jim: got any good standby AG recipes you'd like to share? I was considering doing a batch of the Cali-Belgique without extract, and maybe adding some crazy adjuncts, but I'm definitely open to trying something different.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #129 on: Mar 07, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

TBH it's only been the last couple of years I've gotten back into my groove on all-grain brewing--the move to Chicago shook things up for me for a while, and then when I started brewing again it was with a buddy I was teaching, so we went back to extract with specialty grains for the first few batches.  My current crop of recipes is mostly up at http://hopville.com/brewer/Yojimbo.  The 2008 Oatmeal Stout was outstanding but you just did a stout.  The 2009 Brown Ale was also very good, the Fratricide RIPA is a Cane & Ebel clone and it's great but I put in brown sugar as an ingredient when what I really used was Thai palm sugar.  I have not located my old brewing notebook from back when I was in Quincy sadly.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #130 on: Mar 11, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »

Beer Alchemy is a fine piece of software, the OS X & iOS apps both.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2011, 12:14:45 AM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #131 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

Jim, have you brewed with honey before? I've been reading a lot about it, and it seems like there are dozens of different opinions on when you should add it to retain the most flavor and aroma. I'd like to have the flavor without a huge amount of sweetness, kicking up the alcohol and dryness. It seems like maybe the best way to do this is to add directly into primary when it's at high krausen. Thoughts?

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #132 on: Mar 12, 2011, 12:06:47 PM »

Sweetness shouldn't be a problem unless you add a lot, honey is highly fermentable.  I generally add it right at the end of the boil, so it'll dissolve easier but you won't get a lot of your aromatics blown away in the boil.  You'll still lose some in the initial fermentation though.  If you want a good amount of honey flavor, you might look into Gambrinus honey malt instead of or in addition to the addition of actual honey

elpollodiablo

« Reply #133 on: Mar 12, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »

Right now I'm looking at 2-3lb of honey, which is indeed a lot, but I'm looking for a very boozy beer. A Honey Tripel, I've decided. Here's the recipe.

This is an experiment more than anything; I wanted to take a recipe I'd made successfully before (the Stone C-B) and tweak it and add some crazy adjuncts. Which is exactly what I'm doing. I just hope it turns out reasonably well, since it's a moderately expensive experiment. Grain + honey + hops + 2 smack packs for a big 1L starter.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #134 on: Mar 12, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »

Well if you don't want a lot of residual sweetness then I recommend you mash in at a lower temperature, like maybe 145 or so, and use a highly attenuative yeast strain--the 1388 is a good choice there.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #135 on: Mar 12, 2011, 10:12:55 PM »

The starter is also insane. I picked it up to shake it and it started blowing foam and gas out the top of the flask, which is huge--3 liters. I expect it to attenuate like a champ. The blonde we made the other night with a 500ml starter took off like a rocket, and actually krausened out the top of the ferm lock. First time I've seen that happen.

Definitely going to mash in low, though I thought maybe 148 or 149. Still wrestling with when to add the honey. You've retained good flavor/aromatics in the past by adding at flameout?
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2011, 10:38:55 PM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #136 on: Mar 13, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »

Yes I have--to an extent.  Honey flavor and aroma is not as strong as malt or hops flavor and aroma.  3 pounds of honey in 5 gallons of a Belgian is going to boost the booze but the flavor and aroma is going to kind of get lost, and in this case not 'cause of the malt or hops but because of the Belgian yeast profile.  I'm not saying it's going to be completely neutral, it'll be a slight difference from the candi sugar you'd normally use in that beer but I don't think that you're going to get a big hit of honey flavor. 

When I do a mead, I boil the water, kill the heat and add the honey, and I've never had any problems getting honey flavor or aroma in that particular usage.  But in a beer, a big beer, I can easily see the honey getting lost. 

elpollodiablo

« Reply #137 on: Mar 13, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »

Word, word. That's all pretty much in line with what I've read. I think I've settled on diluting the honey with some wort and adding it to primary after fermentation has slowed, maybe three or four days in. I'm not looking for the beer to be overpoweringly honey flavored, but I would like to retain a smack of the flavor. In a big beer like this, adding directly to the fermenter is probably the only way to really do that.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #138 on: Mar 13, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »

Also, Jim: I'd like you to send me your address so I can send you some beer. In fact, I'd like to get some homebrew trades going generally. Who else is brewing, other than Greg?

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #139 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »

I'd be happy to do some trading!  I just bottled my wheatbeer, and am currently brewing what will hopefully be some kind of Saison-type thing (finally using the hops my dad had given me, which had been sitting patiently in the freezer).  I'm thinking about maybe putting together an easy little apple-rose cider tonight.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #140 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »

Awesome! Can't wait to hear (taste?) how the NH homegrown turns out! I really wanna try a saison, and may do that next.

I know I've had both of yer addresses before in the past, but you should email em to me again. I've got ~4 cases of homebrew in the closet. I will share the love.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #141 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »

I'll gladly send you my address but won't you be in the area in a week or two? Perhaps we can exchange bottles manually then.  This coming week I'm bottling a hard cider, the barleywine, and a brown ale. 

elpollodiablo

« Reply #142 on: Mar 14, 2011, 11:30:25 AM »

Unfortunately we had to put the temporary kibosh on the CHI trip, because D was working on her book and I was trying to get ahead in some coursework.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #143 on: Mar 19, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »

I was in Yellow Springs, OH yesterday and the local brew shop was having its fifth anniversary sale. Most varieties of pellet and whole hops under a buck. I got multiple ounces of Columbus, Warrior, Chinook, Nugget, Cascade, etc. Decided to brew up an Imperial IPA tomorrow, and just made a 1.5L starter from the wort I bottled for the purpose last brew-day. Shooting for about 9%ABV, maybe 75-85IBU.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #144 on: Mar 19, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »

Also jimbo I'm going to send you a sampler soon as I bottle the Honey Tripel; that one's going to need to bottle condition for a while, anyways.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #145 on: Mar 19, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »

nice

I brewed a Rye ESB yesterday.  Today I'm bottling the brown ale & transferring the oatmeal stout to secondary.  Tomorrow I will likely bottle the barleywine and I may brew my Cane & Ebel clone as well.  It's a busy beer weekend.  So I should have some good stuff to send out as well.

I sent you my address right?

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #146 on: Mar 19, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »

Also the Rye ESB was my first experiment with decoction mashing, which is supposed to improve maltiness in the finished product, so we'll see how that goes.  I plan to keg rather than bottle the Rye ESB though so it is not likely to be among the brews I send out.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #147 on: Mar 20, 2011, 07:32:13 PM »

Good on you for trying out decoction mashing; I was just reading about it last night and came to the general conclusion that it's far ahead in my future. I wouldn't wanna try it without a keggle or something similar, I think.

Here's what I brewed today. Hit all my targets, basically; final OG was 1.063. Really pushed the limits of the 5 gallon Igloo cooler mash tun--mashed 4.5 gal, sparged 4.5 gal.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #148 on: Mar 20, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »

This batch was also notable for being my first solo all grain brew. My usual brewing pal stopped by during the boil to have a beer and chill for a moment, but other than that it was all me, baby.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #149 on: Mar 21, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »

Speaking of keggles, I do have a half-barrel that I lost the deposit receipt for. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Homebrew thread
Jump to: