Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 02, 2014, 10:33:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 48 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The NBA Thread  (Read 23891 times)
DanielBurns11

« Reply #250 on: Apr 19, 2011, 12:29:33 AM »

Guess you can throw my 'awakened the beast' theory right out the window, looks like the Pacers can hang with the Bulls, the games in Indy should be fun.

Captain

« Reply #251 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:38:44 AM »

As much as I'm rooting against New York, I kind of wish they had pulled out game 2.  Carmelo was unreal and it would have been nice to reward that effort with a win.  Alas, Boston just has too many ways to dice up a team.
Ignatius

« Reply #252 on: Apr 20, 2011, 01:36:50 PM »

do the Knicks have any chance of advancing?

Well, they have a chance, sure!

I really don't like Carmelo Anthony, though.  I mean, the trade made sense and everything... I just don't think this Knicks team goes anywhere.  Carmelo is kind of an albatross.

I didn't watch the game and only caught the highlights (so I can't speak definitively), but what was Anthony doing in that second half?  Ridiculous.

As much as I'm rooting against New York, I kind of wish they had pulled out game 2.  Carmelo was unreal and it would have been nice to reward that effort with a win.  Alas, Boston just has too many ways to dice up a team.

Back to the Garden, hater!

That was the best game of the playoffs so far. Yes, the Celtics may be falling apart, but to push a game to the brink without your best player and your starting point guard is Impressive. It's also nice for Melo to validate the trade on a big stage like that.
dumbfish

« Reply #253 on: Apr 20, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »

Anything strike you as strange here? I've got at least 3:
(1) Zaza loaded up for impact like an NFL lineman. I'm all for physical post play, but if Howard's ramming him that hard, it needs to be called.
(2) I can see three of Dwight's fingers, and all are below the midpoint of the ball. It's a carry.
(3) Look at their heads. They're equidistant from the camera, and Zaza's is about twice the diameter of Dwight's. Clintonesque in size. Gingrichy in proportion.

Really came here to post #3, just couldn't let 1 and 2 go.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Thermofusion

« Reply #254 on: Apr 20, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »

Zaza's stance there is almost MMA-esque, but also refs love to look the other way when Howard's getting fouled.

triple paisley minimum
dumbfish

« Reply #255 on: Apr 20, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »

For sure not hating on Dwight. He gets the Shaq treatment these days-- people fouling him look insignificant. Just couldn't let those points slide since they were so obvious.

Captain

« Reply #256 on: Apr 20, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »

'Melo had a great game.  He's still an albatross.
Ignatius

« Reply #257 on: Apr 20, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »

The ball has to stop moving for that to be a carry. There's no way to tell in that picture. If you look at guys initiating a perfectly legal crossover move, their fingers are almost invariably 'below the midpoint of the ball.'

The extreme leverage stance just looks funny.
Ignatius

« Reply #258 on: Apr 20, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »

I don't understand how Melo is an 'albatross' though. He looks like a really good basketball player to me!
Thermofusion

« Reply #259 on: Apr 20, 2011, 03:44:58 PM »

I didn't see the game, but Boston should have absolutely flattened the Knicks sans Billups & Amare, so either props to Melo or jeers to Boston for it being so close. Also, didn't the Knicks trade away all of their depth? Should've been no contest.

triple paisley minimum
Captain

« Reply #260 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:04:02 PM »

I didn't see the game, but Boston should have absolutely flattened the Knicks sans Billups & Amare, so either props to Melo or jeers to Boston for it being so close. Also, didn't the Knicks trade away all of their depth? Should've been no contest.

Anthony's stat line: 42 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists.  He was fantastic.  Some of those jump shots were with defenders in his face.  Definitely props to 'Melo.

But the Celtics really aren't the monsters you make them out to be.  At least not lately.  They won, not because they have the best player, not because they tried harder, but because when it came down to the last Boston possession, there were far too many options to pick the Knicks apart.

By the way, how weird was that last Boston possession?  Presumedly the last possession of the game (under 24 seconds left) down 1 and... they give it to Garnett for a quick post-position shot and give the last shot to the Knicks????  It worked, but that was weird.

As for the series.... if the Knicks couldn't win with a game like that from Anthony, what does it take to get the W?

(I guess Billups and Amare would help)
DanielBurns11

« Reply #261 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:09:44 PM »

Here we go OKC, I expect Harden to have a big game off the bench, K-Perk to do a better job on Nene and the backcourt to do what it does in a definitive win that can't be chalked up to a bum call.

EDIT: As for the NY/Boston game, as much as I hate 'Melo and as much as he usually is an albatross, he really did everything he could (except on the last shot maybe) to will that team to win without Amare and Billups.

I think OKC's biggest enemy in this series could be their tendency to fall in love with the 3-point line. It starts with Durant and Westbrook, then it seems to be contagious and you get Sefolosha tossing 'em up there.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 08:32:13 PM by DanielBurns11 » Logged

DanielBurns11

« Reply #262 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »

Some of those jump shots were with defenders in his face.  Definitely props to 'Melo.

Kinda funny that you're using this point to praise him when it is also the biggest criticism against him. But yes, he made some spectacular shots in that game and it was probably right of him to take most of them, I mean, who else is going to take the shots? Fields? They better hope Amare comes back asap, or they're toast.

DanielBurns11

« Reply #263 on: Apr 20, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »

Holy shit! I am loving this shit!  Very Happy

Captain

« Reply #264 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »

Some of those jump shots were with defenders in his face.  Definitely props to 'Melo.

Kinda funny that you're using this point to praise him when it is also the biggest criticism against him. But yes, he made some spectacular shots in that game and it was probably right of him to take most of them, I mean, who else is going to take the shots? Fields? They better hope Amare comes back asap, or they're toast.

I mean, yeah, this is partially why he's more bad than good.  But last night he was making those shots.  Impressive.

Watching Spurs vs. Memphis right now.  Ginobli looks bionic.  But the Spurs may have finally opened up this game.  Maybe. 

EDIT: regarding the Spurs, I clearly spoke too soon
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 10:23:36 PM by Captain » Logged
Ignatius

« Reply #265 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »

Those are bad plays for average NBA players. He is not an average player. He's an excellent scorer and a very good rebounder. I'm not saying he's the NBA's most complete player, but he's a top 3 small forward. I get that he's a bad defender and forces his offense sometimes. But anyone who claims that he generally hurts rather than helps his team is essentially saying he's somehow cursed.

Denver's been a fun team and all for the past two months, but nobody's going to care much about Danilo and Wilson Chandler a year or two from now. Melo will still be an All Star.
Captain

« Reply #266 on: Apr 20, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »

Those are bad plays for average NBA players. He is not an average player. He's an excellent scorer and a very good rebounder. I'm not saying he's the NBA's most complete player, but he's a top 3 small forward. I get that he's a bad defender and forces his offense sometimes. But anyone who claims that he generally hurts rather than helps his team is essentially saying he's somehow cursed.

Denver's been a fun team and all for the past two months, but nobody's going to care much about Danilo and Wilson Chandler a year or two from now. Melo will still be an All Star.

Melo: Excellent offensive player.  Suspect defense and some attitude issues.  And by attitude... I can't sum it up in a pithy phrase for you.  But it seems to me that he plays with a chip on his shoulder.  And when stuff doesn't go his way, I think the frustration gets to him.  With the best players (D Wade, LBJ, Paul Pierce, Kobe, etc) this translates to higher efficiency and better play.  With Carmelo, I think he kind of gives up.  This attitude is infectious.

Who are your other 2 top 3 small forwards?  LBJ, Durant... right?  Could see the argument for Pierce.  Maybe even Roy.  Well... not Roy anymore.  Who were you thinking?
Ignatius

« Reply #267 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:33:38 PM »

LBJ, Durant and Melo. I mean, I could also say top five wing scorer and throw Dwyane Wade and Monta Ellis in there.

Melo may not have Paul Pierce or Wade's killer instinct, but I've seen LBJ apple up or outright disappear in just as many big games as those he's taken over. Kobe can win games, but he's certainly shot his team out of a few as well. He's not in the same league as those guys for obvious reasons, but he's also never played with someone like (good) Shaq until now. I'm willing to wait and see how he does with a legitimate big before I throw his career in the 'great scorer, not a winner' pile. Plus he's what, 27?
Captain

« Reply #268 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »

Fair enough.  But you must admit he has to change his game a bit.  And, frankly, I can't recall seeing him change his game all that much (beyond acquiring more offensive proficiency... he's pretty dope in the post, take note LBJ).

Allen Iverson was also pretty good, by the way.
Ignatius

« Reply #269 on: Apr 20, 2011, 11:55:24 PM »

Yeah, but AI was another pure scoring guard, not an inside presence. Paul Pierce probably would have been similarly consigned to that second tier of great, amazing to watch, but unsuccessful players if KG never showed up. T Mac is the paradigm here.

And I mean, I know that D'Antoni's coached Amare on one of the most potent teams of the past decade, loaded with talent. If Steve Nash can't will you to win, what chance does Melo have, etc... But I'm willing to wait and see, especially after last night's performance.
dumbfish

« Reply #270 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:09:11 AM »

I'll be a little surprised if D'Antoni is still the coach next year. I really really hope they don't go back to Isaiah.

Ignatius

« Reply #271 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »

He's got another year or two on his contract, though, right? I like his balls-out approach to an extent, but when you're in a conference with teams loaded with talent and defensive commitment like the Heat and the Bulls, I agree that it's not enough to get you through.

On the other hand, a young coach that gets maximum effort like Scotty Brooks probably doesn't work with established veterans. Someone like Rick Carlisle is ideal, but it's not like those guys are easy to come by.
Ignatius

« Reply #272 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:24:53 AM »

...Doc Rivers and Chris Paul in 12-13?
Ignatius

« Reply #273 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:17:44 AM »

Speaking of CP3, I like what he can do with a garbage team, but he's a world class punk. I've never seen a player with his talent go for outright cheap shots and dirty plays. A lot of dudes throw elbows and get mean; not many try to kick out a defender's legs after the whistle and go for nut shots.
Ignatius

« Reply #274 on: Apr 21, 2011, 02:24:46 AM »

Danny Granger was just interviewed on TNT, where he explained how he was like Batman, why Derrick Rose was Bizarro Superman, and how Joakim Noah resembled the Predator "facially." He then proceeded to violently destroy his Bizarro Superman figurine with a model of Thor's Hammer. The Pacers are my new favorite EC team.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: The NBA Thread
Jump to: