Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 01, 2014, 03:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 54 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The NBA Thread  (Read 24159 times)
Babar

« Reply #50 on: Oct 27, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »

I liked the "Thank you for last night!" sign in the crowd. Oh, Cleveland.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Babar

« Reply #51 on: Oct 28, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »

Magic look great. Wizards look terrible. Stan Van Gundy looks fly.

Captain

« Reply #52 on: Oct 28, 2010, 09:08:45 PM »

The Magic look fantastic when things are working for them.  But do they really want to hit their stride in the beginning of the season?

(maybe that's moot)
Ignatius

« Reply #53 on: Oct 28, 2010, 09:29:28 PM »

I don't think it's about hitting a stride so much as playing the Wizards. The core of that team + coach have been together for a while now, though.
Babar

« Reply #54 on: Oct 28, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »

I think they're gonna look good most of the times this season and they are definitely contenders. John Wall is 3/13 in halftime. His first field goal in the NBA was a goaltending. Not quite the one-handed alley-oop of Blake Griffin last night.

Captain

« Reply #55 on: Oct 28, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »

In regards to the Magic playing the Wizards... yeah the Wizards look a little lost.  But Orlando routinely does this.  When they're humming, the team is like a buzz saw.  It's kind of scary.
dumbfish

« Reply #56 on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:24:39 AM »

I'd like to say you can't win the title in November, but recent history says otherwise. The Celts roared out to something like 30-4 the year they won it, and the Lakers opened 25-6 and 25-5 the last two years.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Ignatius

« Reply #57 on: Oct 29, 2010, 01:25:27 AM »

Yeah but the Cavs also started those two seasons on fire... I don't think there's necessarily a 'right' time to get hot over the course of a season. It's interesting, though. The Nuggets in 2009 and the Suns this past year couldn't have come into the WC Finals any hotter, but it didn't look like either had any momentum coming in against the Lakers. OTOH, the Celtics looked a little tougher after every win last spring. I think there's definitely more continuity when it comes to strong team defense than there is with scoring, at least in the playoffs.
DanielBurns11

« Reply #58 on: Nov 04, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »

Thank God for athde

The Thunder look fucking pathetic tonight against the truly pathetic Clippers. Durant is even playing like shit, turnovers and terrible contested shots galore. In fact, the whole team seems insistent on taking terrible shot after terrible shot, and the best Westbrook can manage is bulling down the lane with full force only to flail a lay up with all his might and maybe hit the back board.

And don't get me started on the defense.

Man, after the 49ers this year, this shit better improve...

EDIT: Congrats to Eric Bledsoe though, dude is balling.

EDIT 2: We need to quit fuckin' around with Nenad Krstic and inject Serge Ibaka into the starting line-up like NOW
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2010, 12:27:17 AM by DanielBurns11 » Logged

Babar

« Reply #59 on: Nov 04, 2010, 12:29:36 AM »

Wow. After a pretty dull three quarters of Celtics-Bucks with both teams playing below their potential, it became an intense game down the stretch. Boston made three and-1 baskets in a row, there was double technical, lots of clutch shots and free throws and Rondo failing to seal the win with a buzzer beater. Paul Pierce scored 11 of Celtics' 13 point in the OT, including the 20,000 point in his career. If Jennings would have played better Boston wouldn't have chance the way they were playing. I felt like Rondo wasn't having a good game but he was still two rebounds away from a triple-double, he continues to amaze. I wonder if giving him so much space is the key to guarding him. He seems to be able to do anything he wants with that space. I know it worked for the Lakers, but not every team is the Lakers.

Also, poor Timberwolves. Losing by combined 74 pts over 2 nights in Miami and Orlando. Yikes.

Ignatius

« Reply #60 on: Nov 04, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »

What I caught of the game was pretty good, but there were more important games to watch before it got interesting, unfortunately.

But RJ had magic for the Spurs, hitting 4 threes in the 4th quarter to secure a key confidence-building victory over the hated Suns.
Babar

« Reply #61 on: Nov 06, 2010, 05:14:38 PM »

With New Orleans being undefeated and beating the Heat last night and me not having seen CP3 play this season, I'm gonna watch Hornets-Bucks tonight.

Regarding the Hawks, starting 6-0 is of course impressive but check out the teams they've won:

Memphis Grizzlies
Philadelphia 76ers
Washington Wizards
Cleveland Cavaliers
Detroit Pistons
Minnesota Timberwolves

All teams they should win, really. Not to piss on their parade, good teams need to win those should-win games. Like, the Cavs beat the Celtics. The Hawks first real challenge will be against the Suns on Sunday. Then if they manage to beat the Magic on monday, now that will be impressive!

Ignatius

« Reply #62 on: Nov 06, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »

The Suns are no better than the Grizzlies at this point. It's true that those are teams they should beat, but that doesn't mean it's a given that they win six in a row. Consistency is important. I still think they have the toughest row to hoe of all Eastern Conference teams, but they do have some excellent players even if none quite fit the template cut out for superstars. This is also the fourth season that Bibby, Horford, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith have all been playing together, and I think that counts for something.

I dunno if it's likely that a team like that will break through in a division with the two best teams in the conference, but I expect they'll play pretty well. Who knows, Larry Drew for coach of the year?
Ignatius

« Reply #63 on: Nov 07, 2010, 12:31:57 AM »

btw the more I think about it the more it bugs me that S Jax got fined $50k for complaining about a call AFTER the game was over on the way to the locker room.

I mean David Stern and his cronies are such a gang of pricks to be cool with:

A rule that puts an impossible burden on the players to act as though the game does not ultimately matter more than showing deference to the officials, regardless of their correctness.

A rule that puts an impossible burden on the officials - to call every violation requires the ref to either assume that she or he is infallible or that the appearance of his/her authority is more important than the outcome of the game.

A rule that punishes players by not only penalizing them in-game, but by fining them tens of thousands of dollars for every instance of failure to alter or negate a reaction that they've been conditioned to enact for their entire professional lives. Well before they ever signed a contract with an NBA franchise.

I guess he's done a lot for the league, but this is a seriously bad faith step in advance of the CBA negotiations. How the fuck are you gonna tell a player in good faith that when he comes to the table he needs to accept a 25% reduction in pay if he wants the league to survive, when you're inventing an excuse to stick your hand in his pocket just months before negotiations?
Thermofusion

« Reply #64 on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:27:45 AM »

btw the more I think about it the more it bugs me that S Jax got fined $50k for complaining about a call AFTER the game was over on the way to the locker room.

The only reason they fined him is because he's Stephen Jackson. Total bullshit.

triple paisley minimum
Ignatius

« Reply #65 on: Nov 08, 2010, 05:22:17 AM »

Also what's up with all the assists this season? I'd say three or four of the top playmakers in the league right now compare favorably to the best of the past 20 or 30 years, excepting John Stockton and Magic, but the numbers are still completely ridiculous. Raymond Felton hitting double digits 3x in a row? Tony Parker picking up 14 Saturday night? Rondo's hilarious, Stockton-shattering average through 6 games? I dunno if this is the logical progression from Darren Collison's home-court stat inflation last season, but bad scorekeeping obscures & cheapens legitimate talent.

Thermofusion

« Reply #66 on: Nov 08, 2010, 04:26:52 PM »

Raymond is a sleeper, I miss having him on the 'cats. I think he'll do well with the Knicks.

Allen Iverson arriving in Istanbul today to start his tenure with Beşiktaş Cola Turka:

triple paisley minimum
dumbfish

« Reply #67 on: Nov 08, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »

Turkey?
We talkin' about a country?
Not a food, a country
Turkey, a country?
Not the food.
Damn.

« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2010, 06:09:13 PM by dumbfish » Logged

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
alex

« Reply #68 on: Nov 08, 2010, 06:53:38 PM »

You will laugh, but I don't think ever noticed before that the Anatolian country and the tasty large bird share a name in English.
Babar

« Reply #69 on: Nov 08, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »

Didn't get it at first. Then I did!   Very Happy

I'mma predict tonight's games for chuckles.

Magic win Hawks
Warriors win Raptors
Spurs win Bobcats
Bulls win Nuggets (Not really convinced, but I'm hoping Bulls get their mojo back tonight)
Suns win Grizzlies
Celtics win Mavericks

xpost: to be clear, I got the pun but not the reference, but then I did.

Ignatius

« Reply #70 on: Nov 08, 2010, 11:19:09 PM »

Thermo - I like Felton and I think he'll have a big year for the Knicks, but he rarely picks up 10 assists in a game. I don't think that's the only stat that indicates a good PG or anything. Then again, with a finisher like Amare he may well exceed his career average there.

I'm kind of disappointed b/c this is the first night the Spurs were on real TV this season, but I couldn't watch. Oh well, they're on ESPN on Wednesday too...
Babar

« Reply #71 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »

Watching Heat-Jazz now. Utah has come back from 22 point deficit and now it's a 3-point game. Go Jazz!

Ignatius

« Reply #72 on: Nov 09, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »

holy shit! Paul Milsap is INSANE
Babar

« Reply #73 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »

holy shit indeed!

FUCK HE MISSED IT GOTTA WATHC NOW

oh man they got 3.4 seconds to score two for the tie, three for the win. i love basketball. you never know when a game gets awesome, at half time it looked like a blow out.
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010, 10:03:32 PM by Babar » Logged

Captain

« Reply #74 on: Nov 09, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »

This game's pretty good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: The NBA Thread
Jump to: