Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 23, 2014, 04:39:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658126 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The NBA Thread  (Read 24037 times)
jm

« Reply #175 on: Dec 10, 2010, 12:50:49 PM »

cf - I think the recent hipster associations with basketball have more to do with the actual jerseys than the sport.

Jesus, I am out of touch, because I have never heard of such a thing.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
hannah

« Reply #176 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:29:18 PM »

Oh man, Knicks v. Celtics right now.
Ignatius

« Reply #177 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »

That was a great game and I hope Amare practices boxing out before the next one. It was pretty incredible how the Celtics just flipped the Good Defense switch on a few of those crucial, late possessions. The funny thing is, the Celtics-Knicks game a month or two ago featured an equally exciting finish, but no one cared about the Knicks yet so it didn't count.
Babar

« Reply #178 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

Put on your #34 jersey, Iggy! Now!

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
dumbfish

« Reply #179 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:46:07 PM »

Paul Pierce is a superb player.
He's also a dick.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Ignatius

« Reply #180 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:10:32 PM »

"This game means nothing to us, the NBA Champions of 2008. Don't you read books on history? We have been good for almost three years, and have never heard of these upstart 'Knicks'"

*runs around MSG floor like an airplane for twenty seconds with time remaining on the clock*
Babar

« Reply #181 on: Dec 15, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »

Don't put things in quote marks unless it's actually a quote.

"Itís a rivalry? Man, yíall are letting me in on all the new stuff, all the talk. I didnít know we had a rivalry going. Hey, if that's what y'all want it to be, if it'll sell more tickets and get more viewers, then I guess so. [The media makes] up the rivalries, we don't. To be honest, New York is playing well, they're in our division, and both teams are streaking, so it's going to be an exciting game."

This is all true. There hasn't been an actual rivalry between these teams since Paul Pierce started playing. He says it'll be an exciting game and certainly doesn't imply it doesn't mean anything.

"They're playing with a lot more confidence, it usually goes that way when you win a few games because you start feeling good about yourself. Guys are really playing well and Amare Stoudemire has really stepped up his game, become a true leader of that ball club, along with Raymond Felton."

He gives them praises for playing well.

Who wouldn't celebrate after hitting a game winning shot after a tough game? I mean, you really got a grudge or something against the Celtics 'cause you always put them down whenever they're mentioned in this thread.

dumbfish

« Reply #182 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:37:57 AM »

I think you're responding to Iggy, but just in case:
Of course I have a grudge against the Celtics. I'm a Laker fan. Doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Babar

« Reply #183 on: Dec 16, 2010, 01:49:21 AM »

Well, that's a given and you're totally in the right. If Laker fans don't think he's a dick, he's doing a bad job.

Edit: I think I can answer my own question about who wouldn't celebrate a game winning shot: Manu Ginobili
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2010, 01:58:19 AM by Babar » Logged

Ignatius

« Reply #184 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:00:12 AM »

What kind of sociopath doesn't hate the Celtics?
Captain

« Reply #185 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:10:39 AM »

What kind of sociopath doesn't hate the Celtics?

Folks from Boston....

Didn't watch the game, but caught the highlights.  Looks like it was a really good game.  I'll be honest though, my favorite part was when Nate Robinson acted like a jackass and fell to the floor and Paul Pierce really just didn't care.

Can we hate on Nate Robinson for awhile?
dumbfish

« Reply #186 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:00:05 AM »

How you feel about Nate Robinson depends on how you feel about high-energy Jack Russell terriers who think they're pit bulls.
I find him sort of adorable.

Captain

« Reply #187 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »

My thoughts on high-energy Jack Russell terriers who think they're pit bulls: wouldn't trust them to be on my basketball team.

Air-bud on the other hand... high basketball IQ.
Ignatius

« Reply #188 on: Dec 16, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »

PS I didn't care about the Celtics at all until KG and Ray Allen showed up. It is valid to hate on the Celtics.
Babar

« Reply #189 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »

Aight, haterz gonna hate. I didn't even notice it when I linked it, but Ginobili traveled. An ugly way to lose for the Bucks.

Ignatius

« Reply #190 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:16:24 AM »

And the Knicks should have had .6 seconds on the last possession of the Celtics game.

Meanwhile, Manu took a charge on Melo's potential game-winner with no time on the clock tonight and the refs called the offensive foul.

I don't know if refs should refrain from calling fouls entirely at the end of a close game, but those situations are probably the most difficult that any official in any sport has to negotiate.

As a Spurs fan, I can of course recognize that they made the right call in this instance. I also feel that way because the Spurs don't really have the kind of head-on scorer who is strong and can knock people over on his way to the rim, except maybe RJ on some nights.
« Last Edit: Dec 17, 2010, 02:26:06 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Babar

« Reply #191 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:01:45 AM »

I'm looking forward seeing the Spurs on the their Dec 22.-Jan 5. stretch. Nuggets-Magic-Wizards-Lakers-Mavericks-Thunder-Knicks-Celtics. It'll be a true testament to their strength. Not that I'm banging on their current record, they've been great. Also looking forward seeing the Knicks against elite teams, before the Celtics game they had the second easiest schedule of all the team in the league, but they really gave the Celtics a run for their money. I'm gonna go ahead and predict they win the Heat tonight. Why? Who are they gonna put on Amar'e? Ilgauskas? Bosh? That Anthony guy? GTFO they'll all be crushed, just like Amar'e crushed poor Semih Erden in the first half, then Doc put a good defender (KG) on Amar'e and he couldn't do anything he wanted when he wanted anymore (but still a whole lot of things). Plus MSG will hopefully be loud. Problem is though, they don't play defense so it's gonna be like 130-125. Go Knicks!

Ignatius

« Reply #192 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:50:47 AM »

I am very very happy with this Spurs team, but even I don't know that they're the kind of 65-win powerhouse they're on pace to be. I haven't seen them turn up the defensive intensity for a full game, and they're still prone to untimely turnovers. They've transformed from a 1st half to a 2nd half team, though, and that has made a big difference.

I'd much rather see them stockpile wins so they can weather tough stretches late in the season if there are injuries, or if they get into a slump. I'm also looking forward to James Anderson re-integrating himself into the offense because he was off to a great start before he got hurt.

But this is fine. They're on track to make the playoffs, and that's all you really want coming out of the West. A high seed gets you the Lakers or the Mavs in the second round, and it's not like the Jazz, Nuggets, and Thunder are slouches either.
dumbfish

« Reply #193 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »

I was rooting hard for the Nuggets, and I really dislike Ginobili, but that was so clearly a smart play by him and a good call by the refs. You gotta call that or you'll end up with some ugly sumo-crap deciding games.
And Big Baby and Garnett already get away with too much of that garbage. (See, I told you I have a grudge.)

Ignatius

« Reply #194 on: Dec 17, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »

How can you really dislike Ginobili? Because he's a flopper?
hannah

« Reply #195 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »

I am watching this Knicks-Heat game through my fingers.
Ignatius

« Reply #196 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »

That got ugly in a hurry... Knicks had a few good defensive possessions once the game was pretty much over, but a lot of very bad defensive possessions when it was still in reach.

As for the Heat - maybe the best threesome since Ray Allen, Sam Cassell and Big Dog?
Babar

« Reply #197 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »

wayyyy too early to be talking "best" anything. they seem to be coming together though.

Ignatius

« Reply #198 on: Dec 18, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »

No disrespect to the Eastern Conference Finalists of 2001, but I meant some disrespect to the Bucks there in the course of joking about the Heat. It was actually because they posted a stat which said that LBJ, Wade and Bosh contributed 64% of their team's total points, the most for any three players in NBA history. And I was surprised that the Bucks big three didn't equal or surpass that number.
Babar

« Reply #199 on: Dec 18, 2010, 01:41:48 AM »

wow, impressive. most dominant threesome would be a more fitting title then. if they had better role players the scoring would probably spread more.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: The NBA Thread
Jump to: