Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 23, 2014, 03:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657765 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: An brusque abode for pathogens (Last Plane to the Doctor's Office)  (Read 30570 times)
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #150 on: Mar 05, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »

The area around my middle knuckle has been blueish and swollen since I played basketball Wednesday night.  I vaguely remember a weird hit with the ball but never any pain during the game.  I've been icing it and stuff and it doesn't really hurt unless I squeeze really hard.  It's just kind of disconcerting to look at.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
jess

« Reply #151 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »

Anyone here familiar at all with cough-variant asthma? Also any of the asthmatics of any type on here, do you use any non-steroid inhalers that you like? I may have that type of asthma, but as a diabetic, I can't use steriod-based treatments unless as a last resort. Since I have to go to student health (yuck), I like having an idea of what I want before I go in, but this isn't an area I know too much about.
milesofsparks

« Reply #152 on: Mar 14, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »

I guess that is the kind I have, though I didn't realize it was a specific diagnosis.  I do take a steroid medicine daily (as well as a couple of non-steroid medicines), but my inhaler is Albuterol, which I don't think is a steroid.  it definitely works well when I need it (which is not super often), though it can make me a little light headed if I am also drinking coffee or haven't eaten enough. 

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #153 on: Mar 15, 2011, 02:55:13 AM »

I don't have as much asthma trouble as I used to, but I always used a Maxair inhaler, which I guess is pirbuterol. It's always worked fine. I really doubt that there's much difference between the fast-acting inhalers. A long time ago I used to use a few other different ones, and I never noticed much difference between them.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
jess

« Reply #154 on: Mar 15, 2011, 11:47:48 AM »

Apparently if I have it (which I think is likely), it is probably beta-blocker induced. Albuterol etc are beta agonists, so that makes sense. The thing is, I LOVE my beta blockers. They have vastly improved my quality of life (no more hyperreactive sympathetic nervous system). I am really not looking forward to my doctor appt this afternoon which I suspect will result in the doctor telling me I can get rid of the beta blockers or the cough... And right now the cough symptoms are pretty bad/disruptive. Ugh.
jess

« Reply #155 on: Mar 15, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »

So my lung function is good (though they didn't do the test that more definitively checks for that type of asthma). They gave me a prescription strength cough suppressant to use for 4 days to see what that does. They are these pearls you swallow and then they numb the base of your trachea and get it to chill out. If that doesn't do the trick, next stop, allergist, since they think a non-asthmatic allergic reaction is more likely than asthmatic one, which seems like a good thing to me, especially since then I can keep my beloved beta blockers. And yeah, Bethany, I'm sensitive to a lot of things, so it's quite possible whatever it is is environmental, but I'm not sure what it would be that's different in the last couple of months. I had a set of new sheets a couple of months ago that made it really hard to breathe, but I ditched those quickly and went back to the old ones.

On the minus side, the doctor I saw had the worst bedside manner of any I've ever worked with. She was just antagonistic and invalidating and violated pretty much every rule of good clinical interviewing. I can't wait to not have to use student health anymore... in 3-4 years... ugh. I miss having a network of good doctors I really trust.
jess

« Reply #156 on: Mar 15, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »

Thanks Bethany. They are called Tessalon Perles, and so far, I'm still getting the urge to cough, but it's much more easily suppressed than before, so maybe a few days of these will help. I hope so! Also another nice thing is that they have no taste and apparently no major side effects like codeine and whatnot, since it's local.
Good Intentions

« Reply #157 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:23:41 AM »

Bloody hell, this is getting ridiculous. For the past week, maybe more, I've had no energy. My body seems to want 12+ hours of sleep a night, and whenever I see myself in a mirror, I am surprised to see how bad I look: pale, with huge rings under my eyes, which are bloodshot beyond all reason. What is more, I don't have an appetite, and am developing muscle fatigue from the slightest tasks.

This is very unusual for me (nevermind disruptive of my uses of free time, like posting on here), since I'm normally very healthy. I've been eating the same as usual, and while I have been neglecting my exercise, I still walk for an hour or more a day.

LPTJ, what is wrong with me? Is the long-term stress of my situation getting to me? (I still don't know where I'll be living in September, for instance, and have been very much unemployed for the past 8 months). Perhaps I'd sleep better if I went out and worked up a proper sweat, but for the past few days I've been panting when climbing up two flights of stairs, and haven't got the energy to even follow the text-updates of the cricket going on. I can just about do my preparation for the classes I'm giving, and then sleep. It's cramping my style.
Nick Ink

« Reply #158 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »

That's not fun. If s/o else posted that, I'm pretty sure you'd tell them to go to the doctor. So - Go to the doctor! And get better soon.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Good Intentions

« Reply #159 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:42:38 AM »

It might be misplaced machismo, but I don't know if going pale and feeling tired is enough to go to a doctor for.
clare

« Reply #160 on: Mar 19, 2011, 07:51:02 AM »

I think it is. You should go to the doctor.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
alex

« Reply #161 on: Mar 19, 2011, 08:01:30 AM »

Yeah, I agree.
jess

« Reply #162 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:27:23 AM »

Yes, go to a doctor. That's also more or less how I felt when I had mono or a mono-like virus, and I had long lasting complications from that, which I'm not saying to scare you, but more to underscore the point that it's definitely enough to see a doctor for.
milesofsparks

« Reply #163 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »

that's how I felt right before I got really sick with whatever it was earlier this spring...  flu maybe?  took forever to get over.  but that was also how I felt before I got diagnosed with asthma.  in my experience doctors these days tend to take fatigue as a legitimate and worrisome symptom--it's not always easy to diagnose, but that's no reason to ignore it.  definitely worth checking out.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #164 on: Mar 19, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »

Yeah, if you've got health insurance (and I believe everyone in New Zealand does), there's no reason not to go to the doctor for any health problem that's significantly affecting your life.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #165 on: Mar 19, 2011, 01:35:55 PM »

Well allow me to be the dissenting opinion then

FUCK a doctor.  Listen to High On Fire until you want to headbutt the sky

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
edison

« Reply #166 on: Mar 19, 2011, 02:51:12 PM »

One more vote for the doctor, and quick.
Good Intentions

« Reply #167 on: Mar 20, 2011, 04:41:43 AM »

I've taken your remarks under consideration. I feel better today (only 8 hours of sleep) though I'm still paler than anybody should be who has spent as much time in the sun recently as I have. I'll pass by the campus doctor after giving my classes tomorrow.
peacocks

« Reply #168 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:13:24 PM »

this is more of a psychological question but w/e. Is it normal to seek out a therapist after you feel depressed or something shitty happens? I feel like just going there and being like "well this and this and this happened, I felt this way but now I feel pret-ty, pret-ty, pret-ty good!" would be weird. Would the dr. say "Well, that's great...... anything else?"

dick-check your priviledge
jess

« Reply #169 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »

I guess it depends on if there's stuff you still want to work on—if you feel like there's still work to do in terms of processing things, skills-building, help for the future/help preventing old patterns from being a problem again, or whatever, then it could be useful. If there's nothing really in the present or for the future to deal with or talk about much though, and you aren't really having any residual symptoms from the stuff in the past, then there may be less of a point. So I guess the question would be, what do you want to get out of it? It's helpful to have some sense of goals going into therapy—you don't need to have any clue how you might get there (that's the therapist's job, to help you with that), but they will need some guidance in terms of the purpose of the therapy to do that job.
peacocks

« Reply #170 on: Mar 23, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »

ahhh ok, I think I was looking at it as a passive experience. Like you just hand them your baggage and they sort it out for you. Thanks!

Ignatius

« Reply #171 on: Mar 24, 2011, 01:42:04 AM »

I used to see a very good psychiatrist following some tough times. Once I got my life in apparent order and got away from home we both felt pretty good about my future. We kept in touch, but I was no longer a regular patient.

Anyway, while I didn't feel as though I'd conquered my problems or got past them or anything, I felt well equipped to handle what was coming. But I was kinda raw in spite of what we'd handled... My confidence in having dealt with the known roadblocks to living my life was good and proper, but I guess I let it fill me up too much.

I would say that if you've been through something tough, even if you feel glorious and wide open about coming clear on the other side, it will never ever hurt to rehash the process with a good professional. It's like a fortified journal... In the worst case, you can reinforce and systematize your own successful response to bad feelings.
peacocks

« Reply #172 on: Mar 27, 2011, 06:03:47 PM »

thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it at work and see what my health insurance covers.

meanwhile, this is the first year I have suffered from allergies. Dang oak sperm.

Dick

« Reply #173 on: Mar 27, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »

meanwhile, this is the first year I have suffered from allergies. Dang oak sperm.
This.

End all life everywhere.

We believe in hydration.
G.C.R

« Reply #174 on: Mar 27, 2011, 11:44:25 PM »

I've taken your remarks under consideration. I feel better today (only 8 hours of sleep) though I'm still paler than anybody should be who has spent as much time in the sun recently as I have. I'll pass by the campus doctor after giving my classes tomorrow.

How did it go? Anything conclusive? Anaemia? Kissing disease?

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: An brusque abode for pathogens (Last Plane to the Doctor's Office)
Jump to: