Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 09:52:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22
Print
Author Topic: An brusque abode for pathogens (Last Plane to the Doctor's Office)  (Read 31190 times)
Em

« Reply #400 on: Sep 08, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »

Yeah, there's nothing much anyone can do about it, so I guess I'm just venting. I did get a little worked up about it the other day when I was going through our financials (for grant-related purposes) and saw that we pay 100% of her husband's insurance, too, but in the end it's not something I can fix, so whatever. Our dental is great!
Nick Ink

« Reply #401 on: Sep 15, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »

I had my annual opthalmologist's appointment today, coming hot on the heels of my now-annual MRI and endocrinology tests. Anyway, it all came back good so that's another year on from my big op (it was back in 08 for those who remember) with the all clear.

Man, I hate those visual field tests though - you know those ones where you sit in a dark room wearing an eyepatch, staring into a dish at a point of light, and clicking a buzzer whenever you detect something in your peripheral vision. I get quite anxious about the really tiny dots. I like the other tests though, and I've pretty much memorized those coloured-dot number books by now.

My opthalmologist is a nice lady too, so it's good to talk to her afterwards. When I went into her office today she had my records on the computer and started marvelling at the X-rays of my 'Birmingham Hip' - she's recently had a hip replacement herself and said she was 'more interested in bones than brains these days'. 

I, of course, was able to oblige her with interesting histories on both counts.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #402 on: Sep 15, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »

This is it, by the way. The hip, I mean. Not the brain:

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Ignatius

« Reply #403 on: Sep 15, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »

It's always nice to read some good news in this thread to balance the "oh god what is wrong with me and how wrong is it" posts.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and keeping on top of the follow-up. Positive interactions with the NI medical staff are a bonus.

Meanwhile, I got the bill for my ankle from a few weeks back, and it's really not that bad. About a week's worth of pay, and I don't even work that hard or earn that much at this point. Certainly not going to bust my bank account, in any case.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #404 on: Sep 15, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »

Man, I hate those visual field tests though - you know those ones where you sit in a dark room wearing an eyepatch, staring into a dish at a point of light, and clicking a buzzer whenever you detect something in your peripheral vision. I get quite anxious about the really tiny dots. I like the other tests though, and I've pretty much memorized those coloured-dot number books by now.

Glad to hear everything went well, Nick. I used to work in an optometrist's office and used to run those tests on people all the time. It's harder than you think getting some people to hold their heads still. Then you're supposed to look straight ahead, but some people's eyes would wander all over the place. I remember once when this dude came in who didn't seem to have any eye movement whatsoever; it was almost creepy. I don't believe he was a sniper though.

Does anybody know if there is a variety of bi-polar disorder where there's no manic phase? I seem to have something like that. For about 10 days, say, from September 2nd to the 12th, I felt great, and since then I've felt absolutely horrible, to the point where I think I'm going to have to drop out of my teaching classes. I can't concentrate or function much at all. And I've been this way for a long time now. I'll feel relatively normal for a week, maybe a bit longer, then I'll feel utterly miserable for a week. This makes it impossible for me to even think about getting a decent, satisfying job, and it pretty much makes developing friendships or relationships unthinkable.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Greg Nog

« Reply #405 on: Sep 15, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »

Does anybody know if there is a variety of bi-polar disorder where there's no manic phase?

Bipolar II: Electric Boogaloo?  My ex was diagnosed with it, and seemed to be plagued with the particular type of misery you're describing.
jess

« Reply #406 on: Sep 15, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »

Bipolar II has hypomania instead of mania, but hypomania is basically just mania that's functional, as opposed to mania which is defined as dysfunctional. Still has symptoms like decreased need for sleep, elevated mood and/or irritability, rapid speech, feelings of increased ability ("I can do everything!"—and often people in hypomanic phases are really productive), etc. So if that sounds familiar, then it's quite possible, and might suggest different types of medication than typical antidepressants. If you're not having something like that though, then it's still probably unipolar depression of some sort. I mean, it's certainly possible that neurologically, depression like that is somehow more related to bipolar disorder, hence the shifts, but diagnostically, it wouldn't be bipolar at all, since psychological diagnoses are based in these sets of specific symptoms, not underlying brain chemistry, since we know so little about the latter.

Also, while bipolar II is hypomania interspersed with major depressive episodes, cyclothymia is a disorder with hypomania and dysthymic (mild depressive) episodes. Few people actually get treatment for it though, because for the most part, having cyclothymia is not that problematic and may even be advantageous if you have a career where you can afford to binge-work and then recover.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #407 on: Sep 16, 2011, 02:14:23 AM »

I wouldn't describe myself as having anything like hypomania, so I guess I probably don't even fit the definition of bi-polar II. I mean, that would be much better than what I generally have, which is long bouts of disabling depression followed by more-or-less normal periods. It's just that it's been like this for so long, with the weeklong (or longer) periods where I'm so miserable, and there's never any reason for it whatsoever.

This week, I can tell you exactly when it happened: I felt fine Monday morning, then over the course of about three hours I gradually got worse, and by late afternoon I was feeling horrible and have been that way since. Monday evening I could predict with pretty near certainty that the rest of the week was going to be awful. It seems like the sort of pattern there should be a name for I'd think, but maybe not. I wouldn't mind trying anti-depressants or mood stabilizers, but I don't want to take anything that's essentially addictive, and SSRI/SNRI's are flat-out addictive for me. And when I went on them, no one gave any indication that that would be the case, which pisses me off a bit. It may be that most other people don't have problems stopping taking them though I suppose. 

auto-da-fey

« Reply #408 on: Sep 16, 2011, 03:32:34 AM »

Also, while bipolar II is hypomania interspersed with major depressive episodes, cyclothymia is a disorder with hypomania and dysthymic (mild depressive) episodes. Few people actually get treatment for it though, because for the most part, having cyclothymia is not that problematic and may even be advantageous if you have a career where you can afford to binge-work and then recover.

wow, I just read up on this a bit (the term is new to me--thanks, jess), and I feel like I've been hailed. though I do imagine the off-kilter structure of my work enables or at least facilitates some of those patterns.

and good luck, RL; no insights, but wishing you well.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #409 on: Sep 16, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »

Also, got a call today informing me that I've been rejected for health insurance. I doubt if this happens to very many other 27-year-olds. I was trying to get some kind of emergency health insurance ($5500 deductible, probably with all sorts of scams and denials for treatment buried in there), but apparently I can't even get that. When, um, is it going to be illegal to do that sort of thing? Is it not until 2014 (assuming the Republicans don't kill it outright before then)?

elpollodiablo

« Reply #410 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »

Seeing a dermatologist tomorrow. This shit on my hands never really got any worse or better; the configuration and expression of it changes from day-to-day, but the general coverage, annoyance, and embarrassment doesn't. Gah. I hope this isn't some long-term chronic thing. Sad

So the answer, I found out today, was bed bugs. My life is going to be pretty unpleasant for the next few weeks. I'd really like my money back from all those doctors.

think 'on the road.'
peacocks

« Reply #411 on: Oct 21, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »

After all this time that is what you find out! What a gip!

dick-check your priviledge
Ignatius

« Reply #412 on: Oct 22, 2011, 12:52:55 AM »

Geez, I'm sorry, pollo.
Greg Nog

« Reply #413 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »

bed bugs.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #414 on: Oct 22, 2011, 07:43:20 AM »

FUCK. Terrible news.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
elpollodiablo

« Reply #415 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »

Yep. We figure they traveled back from NYC with us in August, but who knows. It doesn't matter.

Really I'm trying not to be cynical or too het up about it, but I am pretty exquisitely angry about all that time and money I spent with all of those different medical professionals. Steroids, antibiotics, creams, allergy medicines, biopsies, blood word, prick tests (LOL). And not a single one of them even advanced the notion that it might be bed bugs. The fucking exterminator took one look at my hand as he came in the door and said "Oh yeah bed bugs for sure."
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2011, 09:35:52 AM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
Dick

« Reply #416 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »

Man, fuck.  I'm really sorry.  That makes me feel more bad for you than if you'd actually had some skin disease or something.

We believe in hydration.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #417 on: Oct 22, 2011, 09:39:47 AM »

Yeah. I mean I'm grateful that we're in a position where it won't hurt us too much financially and that I only have a school & teaching schedule to work around instead of a real job, but just thinking about what I have to do in the next couple of days is pretty overwhelming. Wash everything. Dry clean everything. Pack up all the books--I don't even really know what I'm going to do with them. It's hard to decide even where to start.

think 'on the road.'
peacocks

« Reply #418 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:17:39 AM »

I have a herniated disc in my neck, yay.

Greg Nog

« Reply #419 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »

Ach!  Sorry, peacocks.
Thermofusion

« Reply #420 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:44:33 AM »

Ouch Sad

triple paisley minimum
Lucy

« Reply #421 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »

Sounds miserable! Feel better!
peacocks

« Reply #422 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »

I actually feel OK. My chiro and I were both suprised. I've been getting regular chiro treatment and massage, twice a week since the accident so I think things have held pretty well in place. I just hope I don't have to have surgery down the road and I really don't want to be one of those people in that weird al video. OY, MY NECK. He's referring me to an orthopedic surgeon though :/ and he said he could recommend a good lawyer buuuut that seems so... not something I want to do.

edit: WHATUP Lucy!

Lucy

« Reply #423 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:54:10 AM »

Hey, lady!

Be careful with surgeons -- don't be afraid to get a second opinion. Can you see an orthopedist first? Surgeons are so trained to treat things with surgery that they don't always consider the possible range of options as carefully as I'd like, especially since there is a financial incentive for them to do the surgery in the first place.
peacocks

« Reply #424 on: Nov 09, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »

my chiropractor said exactly that and said that the dr. he is referring me to isn't "cut crazy" and looks at all the methods of treatment. But if he recommends surgery you bet I'm getting a second opinion.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: An brusque abode for pathogens (Last Plane to the Doctor's Office)
Jump to: