Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 28, 2014, 01:44:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658238 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 29 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Penis Mightier  (Read 3200 times)
coldforge

« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »

l'era del terzo mondo.
Bernard

« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »

This thread almost makes me want to cry over the memory of a favorite pen, now lost. Made by the Alvin company, it was supposedly a calligraphy pen but the nib was so narrow, it really functioned as an ordinary fountain pen. I bought it from an office supply store that went out of business, so it was cheapish, maybe $5? The piston worked by screwing the end of the pen up or down to suction ink up through the nib. I had two, and one didn't work as well as the other. I periodically check the Alvin website, as well as ebay, to see if I can find this pen, but no such luck. I was in high school when I bought it, so we're talking more than 20 years ago.

I MISS YOU, PEN.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
coldforge

« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:42:29 PM »

What's the deal with dip pens, anyway? I've never used one. They're something you can, like, put in your pocket?

l'era del terzo mondo.
jess

« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »

That sucks Bernard Sad
I got a bunch of free pens from pharmaceutical companies when I was working in a hospital, and most were meh, but my Lamictal pen is kind of awesome, despite being nothing expensive or seemingly special. It just feels right, and writes exactly how I want it to. Also it's a Lamictal pen, which I find amusing. Sadly, now that the drug companies can't give away swag anymore, once it dies (it's nonrefillable), I can't replace it, and I think it's getting close. Somehow I've actually managed to keep it for several years now, and that is really impressive for me. Maybe that means I could replace it with a really nice pen, but somehow I bet that one I'd lose.
Bernard

« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2010, 03:14:12 PM »

The ones on the left are dip pens, both traditional and glass. Not really something you can carry in a pocket.

Ignatius

« Reply #30 on: Nov 13, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »

I tend to use the Uni-Ball Impact pen with the instant-dry ink because I am left-handed. Also I guess I generally stick with pens that write with very little friction because I'm both lazy and used to hate the feeling of picking up a micro point pens that had run out of ink and scratching across the page. I suppose it's time to get over that now.

However a few months ago I found a Gamecube-branded pen in the drawer where we keep all the pharmaceutical junk from my mom's old job as a psychiatric nurse. Gamecube pen! It's a big chunky thing with a pretty ordinary ballpoint, but it's a pen about nintendo and I guess I'm a sucker! Where did it come from?!

edit: PS Dick remember when you shat on everyone for caring about pens? I'm calling you out!
clare

« Reply #31 on: Nov 13, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »

I've never had the motor skills for neat/fancy writing, but I love the feeling of writing with a nib. Bernard, those glass ones look pretty interesting. Do the swirls hold more ink so you don't have to dip so often?

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Dick

« Reply #32 on: Nov 13, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »

edit: PS Dick remember when you shat on everyone for caring about pens? I'm calling you out!
http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,9994.msg443662.html#msg443662

That's me 2 years ago making about the same comment as I just made (sad).  I shat on Uniballs a little bit, but I think you've gotten me confused with Pollo at some point.

We believe in hydration.
Bernard

« Reply #33 on: Nov 13, 2010, 07:05:42 PM »

Yep, each ridge holds a little portion of each, so the swirled tip, with longer ridges, gives a little more writing time.

Ignatius

« Reply #34 on: Nov 13, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »

http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,9994.msg443662.html#msg443662

That's me 2 years ago making about the same comment as I just made (sad).  I shat on Uniballs a little bit, but I think you've gotten me confused with Pollo at some point.

oops on my shit! sorry.
coldforge

« Reply #35 on: Nov 13, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »

Incidentally, I had checked to see if there was already a thread about pens. Writing implements, I didn't think of.

l'era del terzo mondo.
mixed cats

« Reply #36 on: Nov 13, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »

Well I can carry around dip pens because of my hefty bag of crap, but mainly no, not a great plan for pockets. Nibs are sharp and you'd need a bottle of ink.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
coldforge

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 12:15:10 PM »

I want some advice on brush pens. I got my first, a Pentel GFKP, and it's pretty neatbut just incredibly soft. Is there much of a continuum of rigidity for brush pens? I write/calligraph much more than I doodle, of course, and I can't see clear yet to how I'd write with something like this.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Bernard

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »

cf, I'll post a question about this on FB where some of my friends who use those pens regularly might reply.

coldforge

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 12:31:41 PM »

wikkid.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Bernard

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 02:05:25 AM »

homey did you see the replies or should I repost them here

coldforge

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »

Yeah, I saw your friend likes the Pentel pocket pen, but that's the one I have. Oh well.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Bernard

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »

Ah, sorry. Hope you're able to find something else that suits your purpose.

mixed cats

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »

I only have three different brush pens, none are that one, and I use them for drawing instead of writing so I don't know if I can help you.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Greg Nog

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:38 PM »

I like the Sakura Micron brush tip a lot, but yeah, I just use it for drawing.
Bernard

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »

hey coldie have you explored a copperpoint type of technique? or does the brush tip just splay too easily to modulate the stroke breadth?

clare

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »

I used to use the Staedtler Graphic 3000s when I was studying Japanese, but they changed the consistency of the brush (it became really firm, and hard to do the brushstrokes with). Then I found (literally, on the floor at uni) a Pentel  of some sort that was great, but I could never find a replacement for it when it ran out of ink. So I guess I'm no use to you, also my information is about 20 years old :-(

coldforge

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 01:24:56 AM »

Firm is exactly what I'm looking for, so that's valuable information. As for technique, I have none, copperpoint (not heard of it) or otherwise. I picked up this brush pen at a whim and I'm going into it entirely cold. Needless to say the habits I've developed with my italic nib fountain pen don't really translate. So I'm starting from square one here.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Bernard

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 02:42:55 AM »

Firm is exactly what I'm looking for, so that's valuable information. As for technique, I have none, copperpoint (not heard of it)

That would be because I am super tired and am in fact thinking of copper plate! Wikipedia says "This style of calligraphy is different from that produced by angled nibs in that the thickness of the stroke is determined by the pressure applied when writing, instead of nib angle in relation to the writing surface"

clare

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 07:10:26 AM »

I wondered if you meant copperplate B. My mum has an old schoolbook of her dad's from 1916(ish) and his writing is so beautiful, every stroke in place. I keep meaning to borrow it and scan it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: The Penis Mightier
Jump to: