Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 01, 2014, 07:27:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657934 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Let's all go to the lobby - new movie thread  (Read 24634 times)
Bernard

« Reply #125 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »

post + sigfile  Heart

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Dick

« Reply #126 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »

"5 asses (2 used with hole)". Cute!
Going into this post with no context, I read it as an eBay listing description.

We believe in hydration.
Greg Nog

« Reply #127 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:43:20 PM »

I saw The Secret of Kells, and felt a little ooked out by it.  Visually, it's right fucking stunning!  I LOVED the look of it, like a more-detailed celtic Samurai Jack.

Narratively, it struck as a little weird; the last quarter of the movie suddenly turns into this strange tacked-on kind of parable-feeling thing, as opposed to the first three-quarters, which play out like a pretty solid Disney/Bluth/Pixar/Dreamworks kids movie about a Plucky Individual Having a Big Adventure.

Most unexpectedly, though, there was a large Christian component that rode this weird middle ground between evangelical and secular, simultaneously lacking in both subtlety and explicitness.  The whole movie's about monks, writing and drawing the gospels, spreading the word of Christ, but nothing Christian is actually said; they don't say the words God or Christ or even explain what exactly the Book of Kells is about.  And yet the movie happily Others the pagans and talks about the Book's ability to bring light to the people and throws in all these bits of Christian symbolism. 

I feel like it wouldn't really have grated on me if they'd either made the Christianity explicit, or if they'd refrained from all the weird late-in-the-movie subtext (central character becoming Christ-figure, salvific crosses in the framing of shots).  But as it was, it felt a bit like having a conversation with a guitar-playing youth pastor who keeps smiling and nodding and is secretly looking for his entrance to say, "You know who had a lot of good ideas about the problems you're talking about? A certain carpenter who lived a loooong time ago.  Got a minute to hear about him?"
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2010, 03:48:51 PM by Greg Nog » Logged
Greg Nog

« Reply #128 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »

At any rate, though, I just noticed that Valhalla Rising is on Netflix instant so I will probably just watch that to clear the ol' air
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #129 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:59:51 PM »

the first three-quarters, which play out like a pretty solid Disney/Bluth/Pixar/Dreamworks kids movie about a Plucky Individual Having a Big Adventure.

I guess I rode along thinking of it as more of a Miyazaki type of a thing, where there is some weird cultural subtext that I totally don't get at all but as long as I'm OK to let that slide then it's pretty good.  Except that the movie wasn't as fun or interesting as most Miyazaki movies.  It sure as hell looked nice though.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #130 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »

The acting in Gran Torino is some of the worst I've ever seen in a major film.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
DanielBurns11

« Reply #131 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:43:26 PM »

The acting in Gran Torino is some of the worst I've ever seen in a major film.

Thank you! About time somebody said it.

edison

« Reply #132 on: Dec 10, 2010, 04:13:16 AM »

It was in the French-Korean Film Festival over here... but it should get a wider release soon, I imagine

March 16 according to Allociné - a long wait, but could have been worse.

Haven't seen that much in theatres recently - both Belle Epine and Monsters were films that had a certain charm to them that they failed to build on and squandered in the last half-hour; half-success or half-failures depending on how charitably you look at it.

I'd like to third (or fourth) the love for Shoot the Piano Player! That would certainly find a spot in my all-time favorite list - definitely my favorite Truffaut, too.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #133 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »

SO I tried to go see A Brighter Summer Day last night but I was like 5 minutes late and they wouldn't let me in (snobs). So instead I decided to see whatever the other film was, which it turns out was "Plus Facile Qu'un Baiser" or, if I remember the english title that flashed on the screen correctly, NEW-LIFE SEX BIBLE, which was a kind of softcore japanese movie from the late 80s directed by koji wakamatsu. Sleazy soft focus, and a kind of detached cocaine-rock soundtrack, it was actually a lot of fun.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Ah_Pook

« Reply #134 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »

i watched the image with my fancy new girlfriend this morning while we were drinking coffees. i like that this is a thing that happened. the image is a pretty sweet movie also, if you like sleazy euro-erotica.

also i watched valhalla rising the other day. it was beautiful and the score was awesome, but as a movie it wasnt really my cup of tea.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
lucky strike

« Reply #135 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:14:11 AM »

in the last month i've watched:
a taxing woman
la belle et la bete (the 40's french beauty and the beast)
la cage aux folles
radio days
carrie (hadn't seen that one, watched it at like 6 AM)
a lot of satyajit ray
kagemusha
chungking express
this is spinal tap

i'm sure there have been others, but those aside i also have been checking out some musical vhs. watched some plastic ono band show from what seemed to be '68-'69, concert for bangladesh, one crazy show of some cutty reggae guys playing a show in tokyo in the late 70s or early 80s, and some 80s anthropology/musicology type of documentary. can't remember the title, i think it was like music of man or something.

also have been checking out, like, video arts bullshit. i have come to own a tape called nothing but zooms and it's just ibm computers at cornell producing mandelbrot set visuals for like 35 minutes. there's this weiiiiiiird one called california arts or something like that, it's more early cg to early synth music, but parts of it are insane. i watched something made in i think 1991 called head candy which came with those 3d glasses that are clear with prismatic lights. feel me? i was terrified i was about to have a seizure or something for the first half.

what should i watch, lptj? vhs only, please! basically like 2002ish and back.

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
davy

« Reply #136 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:24:49 PM »

People, I'm seeing a lot of unfamiliar titles in Netflix Instant lately. Recommend me some good stuff, eh?

Greg Nog

« Reply #137 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »

what should i watch, lptj? vhs only, please! basically like 2002ish and back.

My ex-girlfriend LOVED A Taxing Woman, and she also loved Banana Yoshimoto, so I recommend that next, you read Yoshimoto's Kitchen.  I liked both of those pretty well.
G.C.R

« Reply #138 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »

If you liked Chunking Express, I'll give a hearty rec for Happy Together. What did you think of La Belle et la Bete? I was given a vhs copy, and while I enjoyed it, I think I wanted to like it more than I actually did.

Sick in bed today, I watched Lone Star, which despite my love of Sayles I had never seen. I liked it! It did feel a lot more like a compendium of great scenes rather than a great forward-driving plot, but given that I was wanting something to watch while sick in bed, that was about perfect.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Babar

« Reply #139 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:30:39 AM »

My favorite movie. Should be available on vhs or netflix.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Good Intentions

« Reply #140 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »

That's the first John Waters movie I saw. I've got fond memories of it.
jm

« Reply #141 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »

Yesterday, I watched:

Grand Illusion - thoroughly underwhelming, but not bad
The Brother from Another Planet - way more interesting than I expected
Gaav/The Cow - pretty much exactly what I was expecting, but surprisingly effective
Daah/Ten - somehow less than I was expecting; not bad, but owes more to subject matter and the rest of the world's unfamiliarity with such than actual substance.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
ellaguru

« Reply #142 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:11:10 AM »

That's the first John Waters movie I saw. I've got fond memories of it.

How did I not know that was a John Waters movie?

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #143 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »

If you liked Chunking Express, I'll give a hearty rec for Happy Together.

Yeah. Fallen Angels too. That one works particularly well on VHS, I seem to remember...

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Greg Nog

« Reply #144 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »

Those of you who have seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, I suggest you check out this alternate ending to the new Yogi Bear movie.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #145 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:16:18 PM »

Oh man, where the hell did that come from? That's insane.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #146 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »

...and then that music! Nuts.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #147 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »

The music's from The Assassination of Jesse James. It's a great score, Nick Cave and Warren Ellis. I love that film.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #148 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:45:50 PM »

I was actually talking about the music that rolls during the credits, but yeah, part of the reason it's so jarring is that the preceding score is so ominous.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #149 on: Dec 13, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »

I left this hanging last week, but--

also, if I get a bit more work done, I'm going to watch this terrible-looking French movie that basically looks like Persona but with Sophie Marceau and Monica Bellucci, the title of which eludes me and which I would never have rented had it not been made by the woman who did In My Skin.

my stupid auteurist tendencies, I have this fear they burned me here.

Hmm, from your description I felt like I had seen this but I looked it up it turns out no. I see what you mean though, it does look kind of iffy. Hope it worked out for you...

this--Don't Look Back--began semi-promisingly, capturing with a nice sense of dread the way a woman's sense of identity begins to grow illegible to her. then it gets steadily less compelling, until it all culminates in a cavalcade of stupid twists and unfulfilled promise. I do not recommend.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Let's all go to the lobby - new movie thread
Jump to: