Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 30, 2014, 05:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
Print
Author Topic: Best Of 2010 - The preamble  (Read 21476 times)
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #400 on: Dec 20, 2010, 01:11:43 PM »

Damn, I've just now managed to get the records I already listened to into some kind of rough order (to be posted later today probably).  I guess I'm just about ready to tackle some last minute additions but it's been hard enough getting to this point.  They will have to be pretty earth-shaking to get in the top 20 at this point, just 'cause I'm too lazy to shake up my list.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Nick Ink

« Reply #401 on: Dec 20, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »

I have some time off to myself tomorrow and if all goes according to plan I'll be posting up a track or two from some of my favourite albums.

Not saying it's going to effect anyone's choices of course, but I keep hearing things and thinking of people on here who might like them.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
reebty

« Reply #402 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:19:26 PM »

I'm really late to this party, but Janelle Monae, goddamn.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #403 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:03:29 PM »

OK I've finally managed to relisten to all the new music I heard in 2010 and get them shuffled into some kind of rough order of preference.  Here's how my top 20 shakes down roughly:

01) J Roddy Walston and the Business - J Roddy Walston and the Business
anthemic fist-pumping piano-driven rock and FUCKING roll that will make you want to jump on top of the nearest table, desk, piano or policeman and fucking STOMP

02) The Besnard Lakes - Are the Roaring Night
dreamy shoegazy irresistable space rock.

03) High On Fire - Snakes for the Divine
I know some people had some issues with the production of this album but I think it shreds regardless.

04) Superchunk - Majesty Shredding
indie giants release an album that recalls their prime, I can't stop listening to it

05) Woods - At Echo Lake
murky low-fi falsetto pop that is really well done, the songwriting shines

06) Trampled by Turtles - Palomino
"progressive" bluegrass that shreds

07) Les Savy Fav - Root for Ruin
The main complaint I hear about this album is that it's "more of the same;" well I kinda like what they were doing before so that's OK with me.  Raucous party rock

08) Leatherface - The Stormy Petrel
poppy art punk, sometimes reminiscent of husker du at times, full of anthemic sing-alongy choruses

09) Glossary - Feral Fire
soulful workingman's southern rock, just the kind of thing for a beer and a shot and maybe even some troublemaking, 'cause "honey there's gotta be some hell somewhere waiting to be raised"

10) Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini
razor sharp driving thrashy black metal punctuated by melodic clean-vocalled segments

11) Arsis - Starve for the Devil
A thrashier sound than their previous strict technical death metal, with speed metal and cock rock leanings.

12) The Lights - Failed Graves
fun garage punk

13) Black Breath - Heavy Breathing
heavy and loud as fuck sludgy crossover thrash/death metal

14) Dear Astronaut - Escape from Rainbow Mountain
sad to see them go but jeb & co went out on top, the heavy-hitting sludge direction DA had taken recently is a better match for jeb's intense even druggy vocal delivery than the earlier mad circus folk had been

15) Jesuslesfilles - Une Belle Table
Driving French Canadian garage pop, the reviews I've found name-check Pixies which I can see I guess but there's alot going on here, I think you can get this via bandcamp on a pay-what-you-want basis so check it out

16) Flaming Tusk - Old, Blackened Century
you guys know this one, I expect even better things from this band in the future but this album hits almost every note I want to hear out of my metal

17) Pneuma - Anomaly
Costa Rican melodic thrash with progressive, tech-deathy leanings

18) Gil Scott Heron - I'm New Here
Soul poetry? Immediate, revealing, intimate even, the man who told us the revolution would not be televised lays himself bare

19) Galactic - Ya-Ka-May
Yeah OK so my Treme fanboyishness led me to check out a few albums I might not have normally, I liked this one a bit better than the Trombone Shorty album

20) Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power
crushing sludgy Chicago thrash band, one of my favorites

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Dick

« Reply #404 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »

Note: LPTJ'ers shall please refrain from jumping on top of the policeman.

Man, I fuckin love lair of the minotaur.

We believe in hydration.
coldforge

« Reply #405 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »

Well, shit. Looks like I'm gonna have to do a top-ten just to try to game Flaming Tusk into the end-of! Then I'd have to drunkenly rip on myself!

č l'era del terzo mondo.
milly balgeary

« Reply #406 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:06:37 AM »

Whatever. Dude's been trading on resentment of the supposed New York clique, on resentment of fancy-pants sophisticated coastal types, for years. The Jewish thing is new but coming from him it's got a pretty weird odor. You can see it or not; there's no love lost between us and I don't feel the need to prove for one and all that he's got a weird axe to grind for me. I'm not gonna ask anyone's permission to find it bothersome.

Oh c'mon Natalie Portman, you play the WHITE SWAN just fine, but you are having a hard time playing the BLACK SWAN.

narlus

« Reply #407 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:58:47 AM »

i spent some more time w/ _Black Masses_ and gained a new appreciation for it.

Slime

« Reply #408 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:15:09 AM »

Went record shopping last night.  Mostly 80s thrash lps, but I got a bunch of new babies to make a list out of. Chances are the 80s thrash will take listening priority.
Nick Ink

« Reply #409 on: Dec 21, 2010, 04:32:25 PM »

I decided against putting this in the mixtapes thread as it isn't a cohesive compilation or anything like that, but still, if anyone is interested, here's a track from each of my favourite releases from this year. Just click on the title to get the link.

For now, in alphabetical order only:

Actress - Lost (from Splazsh) [6.08]

Andrew Pekler - First (from Entanglements In The Orthopedic Sensorium) [8.51]

Autechre - See On See (from Oversteps) [4.37]   

Benoit Pioulard - Shouting Distance (from Lasted) [3.07]

Chihei Hatakeyama - Slight Trail (from Ghostly Garden) [3.54]

Christopher Hipgrave - Orphan Drift (from Slow With Pages Of Fluttering Interference) [2.24]

Coldstream - Alarums (from Alarums) [7.27]

Concern - Discrete Memorial (from Caesarian) [9.50] 

Demdike Stare - (from Voices Of Dust) [6.20] 

Eleh - Observation Wheel (from Location Momentum) [11.33] 

Excepter - Teleportation: Lil (from Presidence) [7.50] 

Fabio Orsi - Part 3 (from Winterreise) [6.34] 

Forest Swords - If Your Girl (from Dagger Paths) [6.25] 

Giuseppe Ielasi - Paper Lamp (from Tools) [3.33] 

Goldmund - Pine View (from Famous Places) [1.36] 

Grouper - Vessel (from Split with Roy Montgomery) [3.49] 

Gultskra Artikler - Nanorobot (from Galaktika) [4.59] 

Ian Hawgood - Piece For Wind Chimes (from Live Performances: Japan 2009) [19.42] 

Joanna Newsom - Autumn (from Have One On Me) [8.02] 

Keith Fullerton Whitman - Disingenuousness (from Disingenuity/Disingenuousness) [16.08] 

Kyle Bobby Dunn - The Nightjar (from A Young Person’s Guide To) [11.17] 

Lee Noble - Lacy Park (from Our Star, The Sun) [3.36] 

Library Tapes - Enslig (from Like Green Grass Against A Blue Sky) [2.16] 

Machinefabriek - Toendra (from Toendra) [5.20] 

Mark Fell - Multistability 2-B (from Multistability) [1.52] 

Max Richter - Infra 5 (from Infra) [5.17] 

Menomena - TAOS  (from Mines) [5.00] 

Michael Santos - Cut Them Loose (from Memory Maker) [10.31] 

Mike Shiflet - Pink Meadow (from Llanos) [11.57] 

Mount Kimbie - Carbonated (from Crooks & Lovers) [4.19] 

Natural Snow Buildings - Solar Flares (from The Centauri Agent) [2.56] 

Oval - Beige (from O) [1.35] 

Nos Phillipe - Deacons: Control Of The Candidate (from Nos Phillipe) [14.20] 

Pantha du Prince - Agblanz (from Black Noise) [6.04] 

Philip Jeck - Twentyninth (from An Ark For A Listener) [2.35] 

Rafael Anton Irisarri - Blue Tomorrows (from The North Bend) [7.49] 

Relmic Statute - Tapeloop 5 (from Morning Tapes) [3.10] 

Richard Skelton - Noon Hill Wood (from Landings) [8.15] 

Seaworthy & Matt Rosner - Meroo Lake Pt.1 (from Two Lakes) [5.18] 

Simon Scott - The Water Loop (from Traba) [5.06] 

Scott Tuma - Again And Again (from Dandelion) [4.49]

Scuba - So You Think You’re Special (from Triangulation) [4.52] 

Solo Andata - Carving (from Ritual) [8.37] 

Sun Araw - Deep Cover (from On Patrol) [7.59] 

Taylor Deupree - Snow (Dusk, Dawn) (from Snow{Dusk, Dawn}) [16.01] 

The Books - We Bought The Flood (from The Way Out) [5.04] 

The North Sea - Bloodlines (from Bloodlines) [5.54] 

TwinSisterMoon - Trailer (from Then Fell The Ashes) [2.26] 

Will Thomas Long (of Celer) - Sequoia (from Sequoia) [21.56] 

Yellow Swans - Foiled (from Going Places) [4.23] 

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #410 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:02:28 PM »

Looking at that Pitchfork list, I really like Pantha Du Prince's album, and also I quite dig the Actress and Mount Kimbie ones that they have in their 'Honourable Mentions' section.

From their main list, the Emeralds album was okay, if not as good as their old stuff, while that Forest Swords album was really good. Nothing else on there though.

This is another album I've been reassessing this week, and getting quite lost in. There's just so much going on in there that I think it's one of those that suddenly comes together after 7 or 8 full listens. Some of you might really like it actually - BAoH? KDSB? alistarr maybe?

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #411 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »

I'm on it. When Wire put it at the top of their list I sort of took the gesture as instructions.

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #412 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:05:44 AM »

the Emeralds album was okay, if not as good as their old stuff

This is completely right on, by the way. I sort of distrust any list that places it too high.

EDIT: Also, try as I might, I am never going to connect to that Flying Lotus record as I think I maybe should, or as others maybe do. It fries my brain for its first few minutes but then both it and I get lost.

Antero

« Reply #413 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:33:57 AM »

I sort of distrust any list that places it too high.
This is how I feel about Kanye and Big Boi.

Not that the Big Boi album wasn't great, but there were a number of better hip-hop records this year.  Nigh objectively.  When I see those high on a list, I just know that the list is run by people who don't listen to hip hop.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #414 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:01:06 AM »

the Emeralds album was okay, if not as good as their old stuff

This is completely right on, by the way. I sort of distrust any list that places it too high.

Agreed. First time through I was really impressed. After a bit that infamous line between noise and new-age started looking blurry in places for me. I still really like the opening track and the 12-odd minute Genetic. The rest is a bit questionable.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #415 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:03:27 AM »

This is another album I've been reassessing this week, and getting quite lost in. There's just so much going on in there that I think it's one of those that suddenly comes together after 7 or 8 full listens. Some of you might really like it actually - BAoH? KDSB? alistarr maybe?

Thanks for the reminder. It's been on the list in the back of my head of shit to check out but I've not got around to it. Will have to get on it.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #416 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »

oh shit, there was a new Murder by Death album this year, this could change everything, must listen

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #417 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »

Did anyone check out the new Max Richter album with the gorgeous cover?

Nick Ink

« Reply #418 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:25:34 AM »

Are you joking, about the cover? If not, we have wildly different visual aesthetics.

I like the music however. I put a really great track from it in that last post above actually. I liked this album quite a lot, but it doesn't have the same effect on me that some of his earlier albums had. That could be me changing rather than him though.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #419 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:31:04 AM »

Mark Fell - Multistability 2-B (from Multistability) [1.52] 

Yeah isn't this album great? I've been clicking and whirring away on metros and long bus rides... from time to time it seems to hit things a almost a bit more melodically than the snd I'm used to but I like it.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 11:33:08 AM by Trousers and Pat » Logged

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #420 on: Dec 22, 2010, 11:35:04 AM »

I sort of distrust any list that places it too high.
This is how I feel about Kanye and Big Boi.

Not that the Big Boi album wasn't great, but there were a number of better hip-hop records this year.  Nigh objectively.  When I see those high on a list, I just know that the list is run by people who don't listen to hip hop.

I probably won't rate the Big Boi album highest of all the albums on my list, but that will be because Das Racist will be higher. Suck on THAT.

EDIT: Negative response removed. Trying to stop letting LPTJ get to me.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 11:39:38 AM by Andrew_TSKS » Logged

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
davy

« Reply #421 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »

I like that Max Richter cover a lot.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #422 on: Dec 22, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

There was better/more interesting hip-hop going on this year, but I disagree with the idea that there was a stronger hip-hop album this year than that Big Boi record.  Or, at the very least, with the insinuation that thinking it was the strongest hip-hop album of the year makes you some kind of poseur.
« Last Edit: Dec 22, 2010, 03:40:02 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
davy

« Reply #423 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »

Uh-oh...I'm listening to This Is Happening for the first time right now and I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have slept on it this year.

davy

« Reply #424 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:05:45 PM »

Still don't much care for "Drunk Girls," though.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Best Of 2010 - The preamble
Jump to: