Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 23, 2014, 02:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658126 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 6177 times)
elpollodiablo

« on: Jan 04, 2011, 09:08:10 AM »

I know historically that coffee discussion has taken place in the food thread, but I've been thinking & reading a lot about it recently, and I'm curious to know how y'all go about getting your daily caffeine. Drip machine? Local coffee house? Home espresso outfit? Let's hear it.

My morning coffee ritual has become an important part of my day, and involves a hand grinder, Chemex pot, electric kettle and, recently, medium roast Gimme! Coffee. We received a 5lb bag of great Sumatran for Christmas, more than we could possibly use before it goes stale. I gave away perhaps ~2lbs of it, and I've been very liberal with the rest, using much more than I might otherwise if I were dipping into a 1lb bag. This has led to a lot more experimentation with the amount of coffee used per brew and the size of the grind--for this particular coffee, I've been using more beans than usual, with a slightly finer grind that allows for a slower, more powerful extraction. I knew I'd hit the sweet spot once I started to discern some of the subtler flavor notes described in the abstract, like pepper, apples and cocoa. I think my next kitchen purchase will be a digital scale, so in the future I can figure out the optimal measurements without so much eyeballing and guesswork.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »

I have an ancient Mr. Coffee.  I drink whatever happens to be on sale at Walgreens when I run out of whatever I bought previously.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
nonotyet

« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »

I have a Hello Kitty coffee maker that my sister gave to me five years ago for an apartment-warming present that I have not been able to afford to replace yet. It still works okay, but I occasionally get the "oh you're THAT girl" look from new visitors to my apartment. (I am not THAT girl; my sister is.)  I use it to make either the Punch In The Face Blend from Alterra or the Extra Dark French Roast blend from Whole Foods, which may be my new favorite coffee ever. Oh god I have been yuppified.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2011, 10:55:37 AM by nonotyet » Logged
davy

« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »

I'm a french press loyalist. I've experimented with various fancy coffees--Illy, Jittery Joes, 1000 Faces, Larry's Beans, Raven's Brew, etc--but in all honesty, my favorite is the EarthFare brand french roast. It's free-trade and organic and all that, and you get 24 oz. for 10.99. It always tastes fresher to me than the other brands, which may in fact be the case, since I imagine it sits on the shelf for a shorter amount of time.

I used to use a full-size french press and just fill it halfway, but now I've got the Bodum Kenya, which makes just enough for my daily 1.5-2 cups. I buy whole bean and grind with a kitchen-aid grinder.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »

I've also got a Bodum Kenya at the office, and I still find myself craving the richer, fuller body of press coffee. But I'm a total convert to the Chemex in that it's the cleanest, most balanced cup I've ever had at home. Considering getting a smaller ceramic or glass pourover dripper for single cup brewing, though. Like this guy: http://goo.gl/CYaOg

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »

Still all about cold brew!  God, I love that stuff!  Though most mornings, I simply have a 200 mg tablet of caffeine with a pint of water when I wake up.
ellaguru

« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »

I don't do a lot of coffee for intolerance reasons, but I can have a small amount of decaf. I use a single-serving french press, and grind Killer Bee decaf beans from the Cherry Bomb cafe, which is just up the street from me.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
dumbfish

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:09:33 AM »

Cuppa Joe (local chain) pre-ground run through a Melita filter rig. It's the easiest way to make one cup of good coffee, and that's what I want in the morning.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »

I enjoyed my foray into cold brewing about a year ago, but it took me too far down the coffee wormhole--I have some bad compulsive habits, and constant coffee drinking did not suit me so well, so I stopped making it.

Now I tend to follow one of three daily routines:
1. get out of bed and go to local coffee shop to work for several hours (because sitting at home, as I am today, I tend to too easily pass the time doing things like, well, posting about my coffee habits)

2. head to Reading Terminal Market for coffee and breakfast

3. go to one of the bazillion cafe/bakeries in Chinatown, where I often get Vietnamese coffee, which is not such a healthy thing to do so regularly but oh so goddamn good

today I've already done 2 and might have to go do 1 in addition if I want to get anything done.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:10:43 AM »

Still all about cold brew!  God, I love that stuff!  Though most mornings, I simply have a 200 mg tablet of caffeine with a pint of water when I wake up.

Then nip on down to the canteen for some Victory Gin!

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:13:20 AM »

I like to eat mashed potatoes by just injecting 1.4 cups of them straight into my femoral, then sighing blissfully as they seep into my bloodstream.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »

I enjoyed my foray into cold brewing about a year ago, but it took me too far down the coffee wormhole--I have some bad compulsive habits, and constant coffee drinking did not suit me so well, so I stopped making it.

My newfound coffee appreciation is definitely at least a partial transference of my now year-dead smoking habit, but I'm pretty okay with that. Last week I had a cup of Clover-brewed French Kenyan, my first cup of really good coffee after a few long days of traveling, and I swear to christ I could feel the endorphins being released, just like after going too long without a cig.

think 'on the road.'
milesofsparks

« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »

in the morning I use a Clever drip thingy (with water from the super fast and super awesome Russell Hobbs electric kettle) and at work an Aeropress (I shun the pod coffee maker, only taking advantage of its instant hot water).  beans I switch between Gimme and Stumptown, or occasionally Intelligensia.

I used to be a French Press devotee, but am now completely in love with Aeropress & Clever, except for how plasticky they are.  I wish someone would make a prettier version.

once I get my finances in order I will be stopping by more of the newish cafes in my neighborhood.  once I *really* get flush, maybe I'll get a new laptop so I can actually work there...

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
coldforge

« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »

Most days that I drink tea in the office I've been wishing it was coffee instead, which I can't brew here. But I do have a refrigerator! Maybe I should look into cold brew for the workplace.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
milesofsparks

« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »

or an aeropress!  if you can get hot water, it's super easy and very clean. 

also, forgot to say I have a nice Baratza Maestro burr grinder.  I grind coffee every two or three days.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »

I absolutely love cold brewed coffee, but I hardly ever make it. I drink it so fast it feels wasteful, not to mention unhealthy. Typically I restrict myself to buying iced coffee at cafes, where the ~$3 price is going to force me to savor it and not go back for more.

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »

I absolutely love cold brewed coffee, but I hardly ever make it. I drink it so fast it feels wasteful, not to mention unhealthy. Typically I restrict myself to buying iced coffee at cafes, where the ~$3 price is going to force me to savor it and not go back for more.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »

also, forgot to say I have a nice Baratza Maestro burr grinder.  I grind coffee every two or three days.

I really want one of those. I have the Hario Skerton coffee mill, and it's super nice and grinds wonderfully, but operation gets a little tiresome when you're making coffee 3-4 times a day.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:47:59 AM »

Heh. Especially last summer on those ~95F days, when I'd slam a 20 oz on the way to the train, another couple glasses at the office, another when I got back downtown, and then I'd drink some beer on top of it and wonder why I felt all irascible and jangly and horrible all night.

think 'on the road.'
coldforge

« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »

The only hot water I can get is the kind out of the Poland Spring dispenser, which makes drinkable tea, but I couldn't imagine it possibly making a good coffee.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
Nick Ink

« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:48:46 AM »

One big spoon of instant, splash of milk, boiled water. In West Ham mug. Three times a day.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
hannah

« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2011, 11:50:50 AM »

French press o'er here. Burr grinder. Stir for three minutes, let sit for one. I put in a dribble of half & half 'cuz that's just my habit. My favorite beans are Peace Coffee's French Roast, but they were easier to find in Iowa City. In Chicago just making do with what's around, haven't settled on any one brand. I think my cousin's partner roasts his own beans... I should hit him up.

J sometimes makes it with an aeropress, using a technique mos linked to last year.
Greg Nog

« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »

The thing I like about cold-brewed is that I don't dilute it back down (though I do occasionally add ice), so I pour it into a little whisky glass, and sip it slowly, as I would a liqueur.  Just sipping about a wee half-cup at a time, thick and dark, while I'm doing something else.
jess

« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »

Heh. Especially last summer on those ~95F days, when I'd slam a 20 oz on the way to the train, another couple glasses at the office, another when I got back downtown, and then I'd drink some beer on top of it and wonder why I felt all irascible and jangly and horrible all night.

This is why I keep intending to cold-brew with mostly decaf and a little regular, although I still haven't gotten around to it.
Bernard

« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »

I appreciate this thread.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Coffee
Jump to: