Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 02, 2014, 04:31:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: why does my hand smell like an old lady's neck - New Random Thread  (Read 28160 times)
Greg Nog

« Reply #275 on: Apr 20, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »

Last April, I bought a DNA testing kit from 23andme.com 'cause they were having a sale on it.  I took a while to send the kit back, but I just got the results today!  It's neat!  I can see what kind of genes I have, and how they correlate to things like my likelihood of becoming a heroin addict!

23 and me are our competitors.

Oh? Who are y'all?
DCDave

« Reply #276 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »

PatientsLikeMe - We haven't gotten into the DNA side of things yet because SNIPS don't have much data in them and all of our current services are free for members

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Dick

« Reply #277 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:22:57 PM »

It's called Bamiyan Restaurant
The sign says Bamiyan.  I was trying to think of a way to walk you through reading it so you wouldn't think I was just bullshitting you, then I forgot about this.  I'm still not 100% on what's going on in the middle, but the first and last parts of the word are enough to convince me.  Aesthetically, the striking calligraphic features of Bamiyan would be the two A's (long vertical lines), and the last letter N, ن, is up there at the top.

thanks, man.  so is it Dari, then?

Pollo--was it good?  I haven't had Afghani food in ages.
Bamiyan is a place name, a town semi-famous for having those big statues of Buddha in the mountainside that the Taliban detonated.

We believe in hydration.
fishjim

« Reply #278 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »

Last April, I bought a DNA testing kit from 23andme.com 'cause they were having a sale on it.  I took a while to send the kit back, but I just got the results today!  It's neat!  I can see what kind of genes I have, and how they correlate to things like my likelihood of becoming a heroin addict!

Nog, do you really need a kit for this? Cartoonists are like poets - all substances are GO.

And speak of the devil: post 420 on 4/20! Hey hey hey.

Catch y'all later. I got an appointment.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 05:47:11 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #279 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »

I will join you in spirit presently.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #280 on: Apr 20, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »

I've never tried heroin, though!  As delighted as I get about various psychoactives, I've never felt particularly drawn to painkillers.  Perhaps it's because I SUBCONSCIOUSLY KNOW I have a secret genetic disposition toward becoming an opium-addict!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #281 on: Apr 20, 2011, 06:08:33 PM »

It's called Bamiyan Restaurant
The sign says Bamiyan.  I was trying to think of a way to walk you through reading it so you wouldn't think I was just bullshitting you, then I forgot about this.  I'm still not 100% on what's going on in the middle, but the first and last parts of the word are enough to convince me.  Aesthetically, the striking calligraphic features of Bamiyan would be the two A's (long vertical lines), and the last letter N, ن, is up there at the top.

thanks, man.  so is it Dari, then?

Pollo--was it good?  I haven't had Afghani food in ages.

I remember it being okay! It was--yikes--almost three years ago now, when I first started working on 23rd street. The Afghani place that delivered to our sublet in Alphabet City was better.

...fucking Ohio. Sad Sad Sad

think 'on the road.'
jess

« Reply #282 on: Apr 20, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »

We don't have a creepy thread, so I guess I'll post this here. Apparently there have been two assaults in one of the study areas in the main campus by some guy who has yet to be caught. From the campus-wide crime alert email: "In both incidents the victims reported that the suspect crawled under the study desk and used an unknown object to puncture their feet." This was also pretty much right outside the classroom that I teach in, about the same time of day, but on a different day of the week.

Edit: I think the statement would be less creepy had they said "stab" or something else, instead of "puncture." Something about the word "puncture" in this context just makes me cringe a bit more.
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2011, 09:53:09 PM by jess » Logged
jebreject

« Reply #283 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »

Be safe, Jess.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jess

« Reply #284 on: Apr 21, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »

I will! It's more just really really weird than something I'm scared of. Everyone on campus is talking about it today.
peacocks

« Reply #285 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »

the suspect crawled under the study desk and used an unknown object to puncture their feet."

what. the. heebs. Did anyone else used to get a weird feeling that a shark would attack you out of nowhere when you were swimming in really deep pool at night (but even sometimes during the day if the pool was deep enough)? Well, I just got that same feeling at my desk at work.

dick-check your priviledge
Thermofusion

« Reply #286 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:41:01 PM »

The KFP strikes again!

triple paisley minimum
G.C.R

« Reply #287 on: Apr 21, 2011, 10:33:47 PM »

Ugh. That's just horrible. Like Jeb said, please be safe. And like Thermo said, this is immediately what I thought of:

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
elpollodiablo

« Reply #288 on: Apr 23, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »

Wow. I guess I really must have needed to catch up on some sleep, because here I am, 13 hours later.

think 'on the road.'
Nick Ink

« Reply #289 on: Apr 23, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »

This is probably more awesome than random, but I'm moving into the house we just bought on Thursday - one upshot is that I'll be offline for a while, so if I'm quiet round here, that's why. I haven't died in a bizarre, accidental, snooker cue-impaling incident or anything.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
jebreject

« Reply #290 on: Apr 23, 2011, 06:02:26 PM »

Congrats! And I hope you're not away too long.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
G.C.R

« Reply #291 on: Apr 23, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »

Congrats on the house, Nick!

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
clare

« Reply #292 on: Apr 24, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »

Fantasitc Nick! I'm assuming you mean you're moving on Thursday, not that you bought the house on Thursday and you're moving in now... good luck with it.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
jm

« Reply #293 on: Apr 24, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »

Congratulations, Nick!  Excellent!

and oh man am I ever sore.  The lady bought a Wii last weekend, and we played the shit out of some Wii Sports.  I'm almost back to my old perfect-game self at Wii Bowling!  And not too shabby on Wii Golf, either.

Also, Netflix on the Wii is just totally fucking great, guys.  And we enjoyed the shit out of that goofy-assed District B13 movie as well as a cute children's cartoon that teaches kids words in Mandarin.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Greg Nog

« Reply #294 on: Apr 24, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »

And we enjoyed the shit out of that goofy-assed District B13 movie

Ha ha, YESSS. What will save France's underclass? PARKOUR
alex

« Reply #295 on: Apr 24, 2011, 07:16:42 PM »

The probable highlight of my current stay in Vienna: On Friday, as I was waiting for a tram to go meet some friends, at some point one of my in-ear headphones fell out of the ear. It felt like something was still stuck in my ear though, so I reached there and tried to pull it out - in the process, of course, actually pushing it deeper into the ear channel. Further inspection showed that one of the rubber tops had indeed come off and gotten stuck in my ear. It was pretty clear that I wouldn't be able to get it out on my own, and I wasn't sure how easy it would be for my someone else either, so after some phone consultation with my mother, I actually went to the hospital to get it removed. I half-expected they'd laugh and send me away, but it turned it to be fairly routine procedure - as evidenced by the following conversation with the doctor who removed it:
me: [explaining problem]
her: Ah, that's going to be fun, I like doing this sort of thing!
me: You mean you have to do this on a regular basis?
her: Oh, yeah, every now and then.

I got the stray rubber thingy back in one piece and pretty quickly, but when it came out, we both agreed that I might be better off buying myself a different model of headphones.

The worst part about it was having to experience the Vienna-typical everyday racism (and an unusually strong dose of it at that) while waiting at the clinic. Of course, if it turns out that my Dutch health insurance refuses to pay for my Austrian hospital visit, that might turn out to be the most annoying thing about it after all.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #296 on: Apr 24, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »

well, glad it was such a painless procedure, surrounding obnoxious details notwithstanding! growing up, I squished a mosquito inside my ear once, and that sucked, though fortunately did not require a trip to the doctor.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #297 on: Apr 25, 2011, 01:54:32 PM »

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #298 on: Apr 25, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »

I watched that for a while.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
silentsigh89

« Reply #299 on: Apr 26, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »

Working on a paper in the library about state-building in early Muscovy and I hear some commotion around me. I finally tune in and it turns out there is a pretty big snake that was hiding under a chair that a boy scooted a bit too far. Someone calls public safety in a panic, and then a very big guard shows up. "you said a WHAT? A snake? I got phobias!!" And so everyone stares at it for a while until a very tiny old man I had never seen before comes in with a garbage bag, pins it, and ties it up in the plastic, saying "let's take you back outside, buddy."

This has been my favorite paper distraction.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: why does my hand smell like an old lady's neck - New Random Thread
Jump to: