Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 24, 2014, 05:32:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657779 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Toodles to You Bitches: LPTJ Best of 2010 Results/Mix  (Read 10429 times)
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #75 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »

oh how i tremble for the imminent coldforge vs. titus andronicus post

coldforge

« Reply #76 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »

Some of you guys may not know about this podcast called Comedy Death Ray radio. It's pretty funny. Anyway, they invite listeners to send in their own 'theme songs' for the plugs sectionyou know, when the guests on the podcast say what gigs they have coming up and shit. Sometimes I think that Flaming Tusk should sit down and pound out ~2 minutes of indifferently-selected chords, I culd do some blast beats underneath, we get Stolas to bellow something about Plugs (and a rhymehugs? Probably), and boom, we get on the podcast. And I'm like, you know, why bother. Why bother sitting down to actually record something that has absolutely no ingenuity or inventiveness or effort put into its songwriting, just so you have a couple minutes of people playing rock music. Just a thought.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Antero

« Reply #77 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »

The Walkmen album was about the only thing with guitars that I liked last year.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
coldforge

« Reply #78 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:54:21 PM »

Ok, moving on! I just almost choked on the potent wasabi peas/Lagunitas CENSORED copper ale combination. Here's Titus Andronicus. I like the name. I like a classical reference. I like a Shakespeare reference. And I'm reminded of Coliseum (more New Jersey-heit, no?), whose record I found... Adequate.

Oh, it's this thing. Fung Wah bus? I TOOK that buss! Make it specific. Then it's universal. #1 rule of songwriting. So what, that shitty Streetlight Lantern whatever band didnt' release a record this year? This sounds like........ All records. Everywhere. But I like a solo lead. I'm a simple man. I can pretend it's Blue Oyster Cult. OH SHIT! Graet idea!

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #79 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »

NP: Blue yster Cult Burnin' For You

Home in thevalley!
Home in the city!

What's important here is the author of this youtube has timed up this song perfectly with pictures of valleys, cities, shacks, darkness, hightways, and burning.

I can't see no reason to put up a fight. I'm living for giving the devil his due. 'We were born to die' indeed!

Burn out the night! You tube guy, I appreciate you inserting a picture of a grinning stuntman, his two arms burning furiously, but BOY was this a great video. Car on fire. Lots of gold clothing.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #80 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »

Man are these songs seriously in the same key?

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #81 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »

....No, I don't think so.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #82 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »

This is fucking RETARDED. It's not even bad. It's just fucking retarded. Here's the thing. And I do this too, but I think pretty much every record is now made by a bunch of 20-something dudes sitting around in a studio saying, 'Dude, we should totally insert [70s-80s-90s cliche] in this song.' And everyone is all, 'Are you serious?' And the answer is, 'I'm not sure, but we should do it anyway. Airwolf. Who gives a shit about Airwolf? I"M NOT FUCKING SURE ANYMORE. Shut up about New Jersey. Have you ever been to New Jersey? Just because it's a shithole doesn't mean you can transmute it into a symbol of classic Americana working class pluck.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #83 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »

Oh shit, my girlfriend brought me another beer.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #84 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »

Is there this wee indie rock kid reciting classic American speeches? That's cute. Please continue.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #85 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »

Funny story. Somewhere on this Swans record, is the tremolo guitar stylins of Hunter Hunt-Hendrix, my old bandmate and current impresario behind New York Black Metallers Liturgy. Now, me and Hunter have a had a rocky past. We were up, we were down. But there was a timeye shall not bear me troth, but I tell you truethat we were dearest pals. And now Mr. Jack Swans called him up and asked him to, I dunno, do tremolo for a couple minutes into the phone for a couple minutes. I swell with pride.

This song is pretty boring, though. No riffs yet. Approx. 2 mins in. Not a good sign.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #86 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:06:22 PM »

I hope this wasn't the song with H in it. I'd feel bad.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #87 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »

We're approaching the halfway mark. Now would be a GREAT moment to bust into some power chords. You know, really honor that crescendo.

Oh.

Oh. You want to, like, just cut out the drums and bass and just do a couple minutes of aimless strumming and guitar noises? That's cool, I guess. What, me? No, naw no. I'm cool. I was just thinking... You know. I was thinking maybe we could rock out a little. But you're tired, I get it. We can rock out tomorrow, maybe! Or, you know. When you have time. Yeah, no.

Yeah. Let's just do some shitty Velvet Underground vox over like basically nothing instead. I mean. It's late. I'm tired. No, I'm tired, too. Long day at work. Oh, you've got some goofy Nick Cave tremolo mandolin? Sure, let's do that. Gosh, you know what? I might just hit the sack.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #88 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:12:31 PM »

Credence Shearwater Revival. I gotta pee. No big fucking surprise that the Swans record to make it onto the LPTJ best-of mix is ... Guh. Never mind. I have to pee.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #89 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »

R's little nephew just sang Ba Ba Black Shep over iChat. Now THAT is some Best Of shit.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #90 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »

Ok. Piano action. I can dig that. Not exactly instrumentally accomplished, but it sets the mood ok. You get a kind of Finnish neofolk vibe.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #91 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:16:23 PM »

Oh... So is this what happens when we try to reinterpret Dio and Journey and ELP for a new  generation? Very clever, you guys. Cut it out.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #92 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »

Seriously, EVERY FUCKING YEAR it's like all you guys are doing is saying, 'Hey, I bet you think we're about to drop some power chords now, right? Right? FUCK YOU! HA HA!' THAT was the fucking chorus. That was my fucking chorus. Anti-power chords. Delay noises.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #93 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

Listen, I get that electric guitars are uber phallic. That's why we fucking use them. Jesus.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #94 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:19:07 PM »

Oh, hey, speaking of phallic. It's Flaming Tusk!

l'era del terzo mondo.
ellaguru

« Reply #95 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:19:37 PM »

Oh, yeah! Talk some shit about them!

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
coldforge

« Reply #96 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »

Well, that was a pretty good song.

l'era del terzo mondo.
mountmccabe

« Reply #97 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »

Talk about how the song chosen to represent one of the albums voted to the best of 2010 list is from an EP from 2008.

You know a pancake?
coldforge

« Reply #98 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »

No, I kid. To be honest I'm not crazy about the guitar solo in this song. He didn't always play it like this, but it ended up a little corny. But what are you going to do? A single recording, of a single song, is so bizarre and contradictory a moment, so misleadinga perfect example of the eternal power of the permanent medium to privilege a single moment in time over the imperfect, messy truth of a single, fluid continuum. To judge a performer, a group, nay, a whole genre, on the merits of a single 3:29? That would be indulging every propensity to bias and reductionism that is essentially immanent in the human perceptive apparatus.

Indeed, how can one judge such a thing? How can one possibly attempt to address in the span of minutes and seconds the emergent creation of a handful of young men living their lives? This music can only be seen asat oncea sequence of mere seconds in 5 full lives, and at the same time the necessary product of all the living and behavior, recorded and otherwise, that came before. Who could exhibit the hubris necessary to cast judgment on those few moments, strung together, as though they were a single object, occupying a paltry three dimensions, placed in front of an observer, that he might view it from every side and understand it in its entirety? That it could even exist as MUSIC, and not as life? Not I, certainly.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #99 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:28:32 PM »

Ok, on to the next one. Now this is a REAL piece of shit.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Toodles to You Bitches: LPTJ Best of 2010 Results/Mix
Jump to: