Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 01, 2014, 04:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 50 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
Author Topic: What is your snowmageddon soundtrack? now playing RAGNAROK edition  (Read 27971 times)
Babar

« Reply #475 on: Jun 26, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »

Índia by Gal Costa (pictured above).

My knowledge of Brazilian music is shameful considering the gold I've discovered when venturing in that area.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #476 on: Jun 26, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »

Uh oh, girl, you got a cameltoe.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Captain

« Reply #477 on: Jun 26, 2011, 07:14:04 PM »

I'm really digging the new Primordial album.  Not really pushing any boundaries (although I think this album might be the most I've heard them use the doublekick drum), but I can't get enough of it.

"Death of the Gods" might be my political song of the year.
Babar

« Reply #478 on: Jun 27, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

Uh oh, girl, you got a cameltoe.

She didn't give a fuck apparently

NSFW
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2011, 12:24:40 AM by Babar » Logged

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #479 on: Jun 28, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »

only after playing Smoke Ring for My Halo a gazillion times have I begun to work backward through Kurt Vile's stuff. M loaned me Constant Hitmaker, and while it can't quite compete with SRFMH, it's pretty great too. I can't quite figure out why I'm only realizing all of this now; I've seen the guy play numerous times, and have been reading about him in ways that seemed to overtly solicit me practically since I moved to Philly, but only in summer 2011 has it all clicked. better late than never.
Nick Ink

« Reply #480 on: Jun 29, 2011, 12:21:54 PM »

I am listening to an audio postcard from Machinefabriek, consisting of field recordings made on the Dutch island of Vlieland.

Oh! That finished sooner than I expected. So now I am listening to one of two typically beautiful new Coldstream EPs, released on archive.org recently.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #481 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »

Holy shit, is this the new np thread? I always thought this was a metal thread.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #482 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »

I suppose that's one of the dangers of the way we do things, with our oh-so-clever thread titles, but come on, keep up man  Cool

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #483 on: Jun 29, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »

Me and my ladyfriend are playing each other songs over at turntable.fm, which is my new favorite website.

np: Sleigh Bells - Rill Rill, that one song of theirs that is about 400x better than their second-best song.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #484 on: Jun 29, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »

If that's what you think, then you don't like Sleigh Bells, you just like Funkadelic.

davy

« Reply #485 on: Jun 29, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »

The first half of that sentence may be true, but the second part isn't.

And I must not be the only one who thinks that, since 99% of the time I hear Sleigh Bells, it's "Rill Rill."

Nick Ink

« Reply #486 on: Jun 29, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »

Another recent album that has grown on me with every listen is Noveller's Glacial Glow.

Noveller is Sarah Lipstate, and she comes from Brooklyn and makes guitar music. I have heard her previous albums, but I don't remember them well and need to go back and investigate more. I always (perhaps lazily) categorised her with Grouper and soccer Committee.

But this new album is really getting to me. It has a beautiful, clear sound - reviews I've read have likened the guitar playing on various tracks to Vinny Reilly's trademark angelic picking and elsewhere to Rob Lowe's fuzzier psych-solos on Lichens albums.

The whole thing is barely 35 minutes long, which helps it feel focussed and complete. You can hear the album's final track, 'Ends' here, if you're interested.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
ellaguru

« Reply #487 on: Jun 29, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

I'll give that a listen. I tried an earlier one of hers - Red Rainbows - and it didn't seem to make much of an impression, but this one seems pretty well received.

I'm now playing Iris DeMent's My Life. The people around here who care about awesome country ladies already know she's one of them, right? One of the awesome country ladies, I mean, not one of the people around here.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #488 on: Jun 29, 2011, 10:01:33 PM »

The first half of that sentence may be true, but the second part isn't.

And I must not be the only one who thinks that, since 99% of the time I hear Sleigh Bells, it's "Rill Rill."

I just meant that the part of that song that makes that song very different from the rest of their catalog is the Funkadelic sample. But then, they managed to use a pretty atypical 5-second snatch of a Funkadelic tune for that song (atypical to the point that I didn't recognize the sample until it was pointed out to me, and I own the album the sample is taken from), so maybe you don't like Sleigh Bells OR Funkadelic.

But yeah, "Rill Rill" is totally the radio single, and for good reason. It's just like when some metal band or another has one song on their record with lots of clean vocals and overt melodies, and the song sounds nothing like the rest of their shit, but of course it is the one that gets played on the radio, you know? There was no way that metal band was gonna get on the radio with a song that actually sounds like then, and there was also no way Sleigh Bells was ever gonna get on the radio with a song that actually sounds like them, either.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #489 on: Jun 29, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »

I guess what I'm saying is that "Rill Rill" is Sleigh Bells's "Silent Lucidity."

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #490 on: Jun 30, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »

also: "Black Lodge"

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #491 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »

Cheater Slicks. Lots and lots of Cheater Slicks.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #492 on: Jul 02, 2011, 12:19:52 AM »

Finally got a copy of this. Studio demos and home recordings from 79/80. They only released the one 7" in 1980 or thereabouts but this a goldmine of great Scottish rambling pop/punk. Mostly acoustic. Any fans of the editors early stuff, Billy Childish or Beat Happening should give them a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMfXrs-1ENE

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Nick Ink

« Reply #493 on: Jul 02, 2011, 03:31:28 AM »

Great name!

Killdozer, do you ever happen to read Byron Coley's "Size Matters" column in the Wire magazine? Because it's full of really great, articulate, concise little mini-reviews of 7" singles, mostly from bands with names like Scrotum Pole.

Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #494 on: Jul 02, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »

I haven't picked up a copy of Wire in a fair while. It's the only music mag I can think of worth buying. I really should just subscribe as I don't go into magazine stores these days so forget about it. Byron's always been a writer I'm fond of. Has he always done that column? It seems to be drawing a blank in my memory.

np: Cheater Slicks again.

Nick Ink

« Reply #495 on: Jul 02, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »

I haven't picked up a copy of Wire in a fair while. It's the only music mag I can think of worth buying. I really should just subscribe as I don't go into magazine stores these days so forget about it. Byron's always been a writer I'm fond of. Has he always done that column? It seems to be drawing a blank in my memory.

np: Cheater Slicks again.

He's certainly done it since I (belatedly) started subscribing - 18 months ago or so.

Good Intentions

« Reply #496 on: Jul 02, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »

Astral Weeks.

I've had to cool it on the music collecting front recently. The advantage of that is that I can at my leisure run through the masterpieces I've already put into my library.
Good Intentions

« Reply #497 on: Jul 02, 2011, 07:09:32 AM »

My oh my, it's quite a piece of music, this album, isn't it? I put 'The Way Young Lovers Do' on a mixtape for a girl once. I was quite fond of her, and she was, at least for a time, fond of me as well.
davy

« Reply #498 on: Jul 02, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »

Astral Weeks is simply one of the best albums.

Nick Ink

« Reply #499 on: Jul 02, 2011, 05:41:15 PM »

So much Boards Of Canada - as much as I love Music Has The Right To Children, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Geogaddi is their best album.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: What is your snowmageddon soundtrack? now playing RAGNAROK edition
Jump to: