Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 31, 2014, 03:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: The hardest you ever saw someone rock in a onesie: new 'live shows' thread  (Read 36262 times)
Maaik

« Reply #100 on: Jun 02, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »

This sweet band called Carnivores came all the way from Atlanta, GA to play for about 20 kids in a pub over here in Manchester, UK, braving a football parade in the process and they were fucking awesome.

They sound a bit like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgqLMmkGIBU

I like it!

Just noticed this.  We actually played a show with these guys back when they were still called Chainestereo. Good to know they're touring abroad.

I need anne the man lessons
narlus

« Reply #101 on: Jun 04, 2011, 10:10:27 AM »

the Melvins are ridiculously good at what they do, and they do it better than pretty much anyone else.

ready for night #2...

edison

« Reply #102 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »

I've fallen way behind on reporting on live music, but I figure davy will be interested by this one: I saw Howe Gelb twice this weekend, playing in an experimental music festival in the dreary suburbs of Nancy.

The first night was a solo bill - but he was actually accompanied by his bassist - in a decidedly laid-back, "let's see what happens if I try this" mode - things he tried included a cover of "Light my Fire" and a snippet of "Come On In My Kitchen" ("we're old enough to be a blues band now") and a few guitar instrumentals that were cut short after a minute or so, but also a sprinkling of familiar songs, such as "Chunk of Coal" or "Time Flies" from the new Giant Sand, two Sno' Angel numbers, and "Shiver" towards the end of a fairly pleasant, but short set (50 minutes with no encore, because things were running late).

He showed up again on Sunday night as Giant Sand with the full Danish gang, playing mostly choice Blurry Blue Mountain cuts (Though opener "Erosion", one of my favorites from the record, sounded a bit muddy, "Monk's Mountain" in particular lived up to its potential and was the highlight of the set, and "Ride the Rail" or "Swamp Thing" worked as well as you'd expect), as well as newer songs that he'd attempted the night before, in more convincing renditions, plus a Brenda Lee cover on piano, "Yer Ropes", and "Increment of Love" as an encore. Overall, a longer (70 minutes) and more satisfying show, slicker but, of course, not too slick (there was no setlist in sight).

Not quite as good and vital as I remember Vienna 2005 and Heidelberg 2009 being, but still a very good time - and importantly, that increasingly rare feeling that you're witnessing a show that's actually not the exact replica of the one played the night before... (and I'm not saying that only because I did see him two nights in a row)
narlus

« Reply #103 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »

i miss Howe on stage. i don't think he's been in town in a while...maybe once since the last time i saw him (he played the Middle East right before _Chore_ came out, as i remember buying a V2 promo in a clamshell after the show from him.)

davy

« Reply #104 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

Neat, edison! Thanks for the report! Glad to hear "Shiver" is still in rotation.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
edison

« Reply #105 on: Jun 06, 2011, 01:39:29 PM »

i miss Howe on stage. i don't think he's been in town in a while...maybe once since the last time i saw him (he played the Middle East right before _Chore_ came out, as i remember buying a V2 promo in a clamshell after the show from him.)

If I understand well, his wife and family live in Denmark - so that might be why you're seeing less of him? Obviously not a bad situation for us Europeans (although he still hardly ever visits France, last weekend was a rare opportunity)
narlus

« Reply #106 on: Jun 06, 2011, 02:03:20 PM »

yeah, that's definitely one reason, but he does play some western shows too.

it's probably not worth his time to play boston, to be honest...which sucks. not enough of a draw to get him here. i remember that show i saw in '99 was pretty sparsely attended. and i missed the next show as there was a conflict w/ another band, and i remember thinking that i'd be able to see Giant Sand again. i guess i was wrong.  Sad

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #107 on: Jun 10, 2011, 06:08:06 AM »

okay it's decision time: 2 free shows tonight, should I go see (1) very hip thing with squarepusher glasser and jamie xx or (2) something called "performance for four microwaves"

I kind of know which way I'm leaning here though

I went to the microwave thing! It was great. The artist (Mario de Vega) basically did what people have told me not to my whole life and put metal in the microwave, then he had some kind of remote control voltage modulator and microphone and ran it into the huge ampeg stack pictured above. It was in this grimy little room and all the lights were off except the one inside the microwave, with the sparks and flashes of fire inside. Toxic fumes started pouring out of the thing about halfway through. Grimey little room, massive bass, and bad behavior- it was like all things I love about concerts.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
narlus

« Reply #108 on: Jun 10, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »

here's my review of melvins night #1
http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/the-melvins-the-paradise-boston-picsreview/

« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2011, 11:33:40 AM by narlus » Logged

jebreject

« Reply #109 on: Jun 10, 2011, 02:19:41 PM »

I saw Earth last night. Or most of their set, anyway. They were really, really good, but I was very tired and had to work in the morning so I ducked out a little early. Dylan Carlson has a really funny kind of timid between-songs persona, and an unflattering mutton chops/mustache combo that, in the context of his sort of weasely face, makes him look like an Appalachan meth dealer, but man is he a hell of a guitarist. I was a little disappointed that Karl Blau wasn't with as bassist, but the woman who was playing with him was rock solid. The entire band (all women) was. I unfortunately wasn't able to pick up a copy of their new record, but the songs they played from it were really, really good.

The real surprise of the night, though, was opener Ô Paon, a/k/a Geneviève Castrée, who built these mesmerizing, beautiful guitar and vocal loops which she would sing over, sometimes in this tiny little whisper, other times she would belt at the top of her lungs, and I was totally transfixed by everything she did. I hate that so much of how we talk about women in music is in terms of qualities other than their musicianship, but I can't help but pointing out how absolutely adorable she was as well, which, in addition to her wonderful songs, endeared her to me considerably. If you haven't checked out Ô Paon or her former project Woelv, I highly recommend doing so.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
ellaguru

« Reply #110 on: Jun 10, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »

I liked the Ô Paon album. I think it came up a bit here?

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
jebreject

« Reply #111 on: Jun 11, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »

I'll have to look. I'm not in the music threads as much as I used to be.

ellaguru

« Reply #112 on: Jun 17, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »

Free outdoor, middle of downtown punk show last night with Fucked Up, OFF! and the Descendents. Fucked Up were pretty good - they are local kids and I should know their stuff better. I will rectify that by picking up their new album, I think. OFF! played basically every song they know, I think. It's tough to fill a 40 minute set when your songs are about a minute long. Both they and headliners the Descendents were pretty awesome. I had never seen the Descendents before, although I've seen All twice back in the day, which kinda counts.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
narlus

« Reply #113 on: Jun 17, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

OFF! sounds great to this old guy.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #114 on: Jun 17, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »

Yeah, I love all those bands. I saw Fucked Up a long time ago, back when they were still playing small clubs, and have never seen the other two. I need to rectify that.

The new Fucked Up album is great, by the way.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Javan

« Reply #115 on: Jun 18, 2011, 03:32:29 AM »

excellent hardcore show at my local practice rooms last night. it was hotter than hell, but super super fun. it's always good to see skylark, and i can't think of a better venue for them than a tiny room filled with people having stupid amounts of fun.
finished up with veloz. i don't really know them, they're from boston, anyone heard them? i think last night was their first uk show, and if last night was any indication then the rest of their tour is going to be a blast. tight as fuck, and they did a storming cover of mastodon's blood and thunder.
edison

« Reply #116 on: Jun 24, 2011, 04:21:48 AM »

In a surprising turn of events (or at least surprising to the 2005 or 2007 myself), I saw Beyoncé last night (with my lady, as a birthday present). I was worried about the practical aspects such as being surrounded by a screaming crowd of teenagers and not seeing anything because the venue's too big and not being able to breathe and taking an hour to get out of the parking lot, but only the latter turned out to be a problem and the show itself was pretty damn impeccable, except for the sound quality slowly and irremediably deteriorating after a while. Her band's great, and the show is very smartly constructed both in terms of timing and of the fact that she really pulls off giving you the sense that she's giving a genuine intimate performance and engaging with her surroundings, even though there are 10,000 people in the room. Only four songs from the new album (the singles, basically), but they were all among the highlights, which also included the opener "Crazy in Love" and "Halo", which worked beautifully as a show-stopper. A few nice covers were thrown in, too (Prince, Etta James, Kings of Leon). Quite glad I went, overall.

Also saw this month:

- Ebo Taylor, a prominent figure of highlife music in Ghana (who, to be honest, I didn't even know existed until I saw the show announcement), and 74 years old, delivered the most relentlessly entrancing performance I've seen since the Fall (a weird comparison to make, perhaps, but really a similar sense that the band was this sort of thick, unstoppable mass of sound was there).

- Papercuts, who, despite playing fairly competently, were pretty much the archetypal example of a band that would probably be better off sticking to making fairly nice quiet pop records in the vein of Beach House and the Shins instead of performing so listlessly. I like their record, but I struggled to stay (and to stay awake) until the end of their 45-minute show even with my longstanding policy of not leaving in the middle of shows.

Soon, Congrotronics vs. Rockers (with Konono N°1 and Deerhoof, among many other people, playing together), Trans Am - and in a more distant future, Keith Rowe + John Tilbury and The Ex + Brass Unbound on the same day at Mulhouse's Météo Festival - and then John Cale and Patti Smith in Strasbourg in November! Should turn out to be another good year live-music-wise, this one.
alex

« Reply #117 on: Jun 24, 2011, 05:31:54 AM »

I wanna see Keith Rowe and John Tilbury too!
edison

« Reply #118 on: Jun 24, 2011, 05:34:53 AM »

Come!

It's on August 25 - forgot to mention that Axel Dörner and Kevin Drumm, among others, are also playing the same evening - the entire programme is here: http://www.festival-meteo.fr/spip.php?mot1538

edit: plus Burkhard Beins - I hadn't noticed

edit 2: goes without saying that this invitation comes with beer, cake, and accommodation in Strasbourg + chauffering to Mulhouse
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2011, 05:39:04 AM by edison » Logged
alex

« Reply #119 on: Jun 24, 2011, 05:49:39 AM »

Yeah, I had already googled the festival. It's tempting! Maybe if the next month of writing goes really exceptionally well. Otherwise, I think a week in Hungary (plus a few days of Austria on the way) in early August plus another week in Austria for C.'s wedding (plus a trip to the Zotter chocolate manufacture that the honeymooners have offered to take us along to two days later!) will probably be all the vacation I can afford this summer.
edison

« Reply #120 on: Jun 24, 2011, 05:56:39 AM »

Alright, get to work then Wink
monkeypants

« Reply #121 on: Jun 24, 2011, 08:32:19 PM »

So Wednesday night I saw Algernon Cadwallader and they were awesome.  Opening bands were both great.  Snowing do something not too far removed from Algernon, but a little rougher and messier.  Really energetic and fun live.  1994 are a guitar/drums duo.  Shouty vocals, kinda noisy.  Not exactly like Lightning Bolt but that's the only comparison I can come up at the moment.  Drummer (who was terrific) was spastic and really fun to watch.  He had all kinds of great facial expressions while rocking the fuck out.   I had a great time and my date was impressed so win win all around.

I also picked up a split 7" that features a tune apiece from all three of the above bands plus one called Boys And Sex, who sound kinda 90s emo.  It's great.  (TSKS, you should be all over this record if you aren't already.)  I kinda regret not picking up the Snowing record but it's available for free here if anyone's interested:

http://countyourluckystars.bandcamp.com/album/i-could-do-whatever-i-wanted-if-i-wanted

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #122 on: Jun 24, 2011, 10:21:58 PM »

I don't know about that comp but I do like all of those bands and have in fact seen all of them play! Except Boys And Sex, the one you didn't see either. But yeah, anyway, I'm gonna hunt that record down now. Thanks!

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
narlus

« Reply #123 on: Jul 03, 2011, 02:28:32 PM »

man, what another great weekend at Wilco's Solid Sound Festival.

http://www.bigtakeover.com/concerts/solid-sound-festival-curated-by-wilco-mass-moca-north-adams-ma-june-24-26-2011

if there's one photo that sums up the weekend, it might be this one

i was afraid of my gear dying in the rain, not to mention the loads of droplets on the front lens element, but sometimes you luck out.

i put a lot of photos in my review, but if you wanna see more and/or larger versions, you can check 'em out here...enjoy!

http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/solidsoundfest2011_day1
http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/solidsoundfest2011_day2
http://photos.tinnitus-photography.com/solidsoundfest2011_day3

jebreject

« Reply #124 on: Jul 03, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »

Last night, Bill Callahan played a free show at the UW Union Terrace in Madison. The stage was set up right in front of Lake Mendota, and there were boats circling and fireworks going off above the distant shoreline throughout his entire set, which was sort of surreal, but it was an amazing performance, totally captivating. He played almost everything off Apocolypse and some of I Wish We Were An Eagle and a couple Smog songs as well. He played with a guitarist and a drummer, and they were both just fantastic. I'm still kind of in awe ten hours later.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: The hardest you ever saw someone rock in a onesie: new 'live shows' thread
Jump to: