Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 28, 2014, 08:25:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657793 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: The hardest you ever saw someone rock in a onesie: new 'live shows' thread  (Read 36065 times)
distance

« Reply #125 on: Jul 03, 2011, 05:45:10 PM »

the content is not exactly recent, but the fact that i've resumed uploading is:
not sure how much will be of interest, though.

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/distance

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #126 on: Jul 04, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »

So hey, I went to see Algernon Cadwallader last night, and picked up that comp 7 inch that monkeypants and I talked about earlier in the thread, plus Algernon's new album. The show was epic, one of the most insane evenings I've ever been a part of. Here's a portion of the tumblr post I made about it:

The show was at The Bike Lot, a combination outdoor venue/practice space/bike/skate ramp facility in an industrial area just south of the James River. The city was doing an official fireworks display on Brown’s Island, which is about a mile due north of the Bike Lot. The outdoor stage is inbetween two buildings at the north end of the compound, so during the opening bands, Tiger Tail and Joyce Manor, there were fireworks going off in the air behind the stage. I’d expected us to be able to see flashes, but it turned out that the fireworks were almost as visible from where we were as they would have been at the official viewing areas. It really livened up the opening sets.

By the time Algernon set up, the fireworks were over, but they’d been replaced by lightning flashes that were growing ever closer as their set time drew nearer. When they started to play, nothing serious was happening, but by a few songs in, the wind was picking up. It was cool, and would have felt refreshing after the long hot day we’d all had, except that it was incredibly strong. During Algernon’s fourth song, one of the PA towers was blown down; a bunch of kids on that side of the stage had to move quickly, but fortunately no one was hurt. A few seconds later, the other PA tower started to go, but kids near it caught it and held it up. The soundman and promoter started to pack up the PA immediately, but told Algernon they were free to keep playing while they took the PA down.

So the show went on, with vocals cutting in and out, eventually reduced to coming out of just one speaker, set on the ground to the left of the band’s equipment. The wind was so fierce at this point that loose trash and sawdust from the makeshift stage were being blown into the air, but no one wanted to leave yet, so the boys in Algernon Cadwallader decided to do one more song—their signature tune, “Serial Killer Status,” from their first LP, Some Kind Of Cadwallader. The sound people packed up the last of the PA as the song started, but it didn’t matter, as most of the crowd seemed to know the song. Everyone sang along, dancing around so energetically that the line between the crowd and the band, who had chosen to play on the pavement in front of the stage, was pretty much erased. The song, and the set, ended way too soon, but it felt like a perfect ending nonetheless. We all ran for our cars—and, unfortunately for some, our bikes—as the final notes rang out, and within five minutes, the skies opened up and the rain started to pour down.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Bernard

« Reply #127 on: Jul 07, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »

Super excited to see Little Jimmy Scott: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqGpgdD_6k

Hope I can make this show!!!!

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
peacocks

« Reply #128 on: Jul 23, 2011, 02:47:43 AM »

The funk/soul band I just saw has a trombone player. The trombone player also turned out to be a CONCH player. He had TWO conchs! There was a conch solo! It was great!

dick-check your priviledge
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #129 on: Jul 29, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »

There's this venue around the corner from where I live called Festival Hall. It's usually terrible shitty bands/pop-singers performing. I heard a while back Pulp where playing there which made me quite excited. But I forgot about it until they I heard them start playing tonight. Wandered over and got a ticket. Goddamn I love Pulp. That was a great fucking show. Jarvis Cocker was funny as all hell and still one of the best performers of his era.

On a side note. It's probably my age but leaving a gig at a large venue and walking 3 minutes to get home to your own bathroom/fridge full of beer really made it a great night.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2011, 09:25:40 AM by Killdozersnakeboy » Logged

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
auto-da-fey

« Reply #130 on: Aug 01, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »

I think the blazing sun soured my mood--I fucking hate the fucking sun--because I came away from yesterday's street festival pretty underwhelmed. Delicate Steve were noodly instrumental wankers. Black Landlord were fun, but played too long; from what I'd read, I was expecting Philly's answer to the Coup, but it was less charged party music about smoking pot and grandmas. And then tUnEyArds, I just don't get. Maybe in a small dark club, it would carry a different valence, a greater intensity. In swampy outdoor daylit heat, it was, like, a woman flapping on drums and two saxes and a bass player from Vice magazine making a racket that fell somewhere between no-wave and Vampire Weekend. We left after three songs, went home, read the PF review of her last album, played some tracks on youtube looking for the sharp sociopolitical insight alluded to in the review, and were still left baffled.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #131 on: Aug 01, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »

oh but there was also a School of Rock mini-stage, and we saw a few groups of gangly teenagers bashing out garage rock covers, which was pretty great. some kid was warbling an off-key "Ballad of El Goodo" as we walked up, and of that, I approved.
davy

« Reply #132 on: Aug 01, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »

I get to see The Glands tonight! At The Georgia Theatre's grand reopening! It is THE musical event of the week, statewide, if you ask me. Maybe of the entire summer. Sold out over a month ago.

The Georgia Theatre was built in 1887 and has been one of the primary music venues in Athens since I moved here in the late 90s. A few years ago, it burned to the ground. Georgia wept. Since then, community activists have kept development away while the owners raised the necessary funds for renovations. All that comes to fruition tonight!

From this:

To this:

Pictures and story here

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dumbfish

« Reply #133 on: Aug 02, 2011, 05:28:52 PM »

Awesome, so happy for y'all.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Thermofusion

« Reply #134 on: Aug 02, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

Damn, that is awesome, dude. Always love seeing an old theater get brought back to life.

It wasn't in disrepair, but one of the nicer old theaters in my area (Thalian Hall, built 1858) just got a fresh renovation job earlier this year, and now it is sexier than ever (link cuz pic is massive):

http://thecarolinastoday.com/img/features/thalian2.jpg

More pics here.

triple paisley minimum
justinh

« Reply #135 on: Aug 17, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »

KSB--I wanted to go to that Pulp show but it was way out of my price range.  $100 is some crazy-ass shit from the perspective of a person used to going to shows in Minnesota (where almost everything is under $30). 
kyle

« Reply #136 on: Sep 07, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »

about to go see Jeff the Brotherhood. Woo!

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
davy

« Reply #137 on: Sep 08, 2011, 03:44:11 PM »

Going to see Bright Eyes tonight at 9. Girlfriend bought my ticket, so I guess she's earned the right to make moon eyes at Conor all night. I'ma drink beer and root for nostalgia.

jebreject

« Reply #138 on: Sep 10, 2011, 03:20:02 PM »

I'M SEEING HUM TONIGHT

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #139 on: Sep 10, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »

has Hum been around all this time, or this a reunion? either way, pretty cool.

I was thinking about seeing Opeth with a friend later this month, but probably won't make it because of my work schedule, which is a drag because it's two blocks from my apartment.
jebreject

« Reply #140 on: Sep 10, 2011, 05:01:50 PM »

Reunion-ish

I'm actually not 100% sure whether I'm going or not now. My mom is coming in to town today and staying with us tonight. And M will still be around, so it's not really a huge deal if I'm not here, but going to Chicago and all that seems like a big hassle. Maybe we'll see how I feel after a nap.

(My god I feel old right now.)

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
justinh

« Reply #141 on: Sep 11, 2011, 06:37:20 AM »

Opeth was actually pretty great the last time I saw them.  I would go if, you know, you're into Opeth. 
peacocks

« Reply #142 on: Sep 11, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »

The Coathangers! Hunx and his punx! I went crazy.

dick-check your priviledge
coldforge

« Reply #143 on: Sep 23, 2011, 10:13:05 AM »

Saw Katatonia and Opeth last night. Katatonia were really good, and Opeth were tedious and interminable. I left an hour and a half into their two hour set.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
ellaguru

« Reply #144 on: Sep 24, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »

Lots of shows this month:

Nas and Lauryn Hill was not a good show. Nas did a good job, but really I should follow my rule to only go to small hip hop shows. I don't think that live rap scales well at all. Lauryn Hill made us wait 2 hours, sucked for about 1/2 hour and then left the stage. I guess she came back eventually, but we waited like five minutes before giving up on her.

Last weekend I saw The Olivia Tremor Control on Friday, who were pretty fun. Oddly, the sort of drugs that one of the lead guys seemed to be on were different from sort of the drugs I'd associate with their music. And then on Saturday I saw Mother Mother, who were pretty fun in a happy poppy way. Lots of fun crowd vibes.

Last night it was Laura Marling, who was pretty charming. Did lots of stuff from I Speak Because I Can, which is an excellent album.

But the month's not over, and I'm seeing Tune-Yards again on Monday, and Iphigenia in Taurus, which is technically not a gig but there will be singing, on Wednesday. And also Rigoletto the following Wednesday, but by then the month will be over.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
davy

« Reply #145 on: Sep 25, 2011, 01:18:43 AM »

You saw Mother Mother?!

Damn, I'm jealous!

ellaguru

« Reply #146 on: Sep 25, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »

They were pretty good! Not a lot of deviation from the recorded versions, but fun.

I forgot I also saw Joy Kills Sorrow in there somewhere. Excellent post-bluegrass or something band with a singer who could really belt them out, gospel-style.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
narlus

« Reply #147 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »

the Malkmus/Jicks + Holy Sons show was excellent on all fronts.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #148 on: Sep 26, 2011, 06:45:50 PM »

Whoa, who's that rocking the JFA shirt?

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
narlus

« Reply #149 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »

Emil Amos, of Holy Sons/Grails/Om fame. good dude. did another interview w/ him before the show.

funny tidbit - while we were talking, we could hear the Jicks soundcheck, and they did a bit of Sonic Youth's "Sunday."

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: The hardest you ever saw someone rock in a onesie: new 'live shows' thread
Jump to: