Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 23, 2014, 01:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657909 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Cooking is intuitive and experimental until something gets set on fire: FOOD  (Read 21474 times)
clare

« Reply #325 on: Jun 12, 2011, 07:48:24 AM »

the real star of the dinner was the cauliflower.

Probably the most under-rated vegetable of all time. Curried it has no peer. Yay you, especially getting the boys to eat it too.

Testicles are something I've never eaten, and I'm not particularly keen.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #326 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »

It's a novelty. There's no real culinary benefit to them.   They're like onion rings in that you're basically just in it for the fried beer batter and oh hey look there's something inside of this thing.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
milesofsparks

« Reply #327 on: Jun 12, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »

I took a head of cauliflower, pulled off the leaves & cut away enough stem so it sat level, buttered the thing, shook curry powder all over it and a little salt, then double wrapped it in foil and put it on the grill just long enough to be tender but still have a little life to it.

how did you tell when it was done?  just poke at it?  unwrap it a bit?

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
milesofsparks

« Reply #328 on: Jun 12, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

oh also--rocket pop report:

the molds work great--I have to run them under hot water for a sec to release them, but I think that's true of any shape beyond the absolute basic.  the only real annoyance is that the big base makes it almost impossible to eat the last little bit on the bottom of the stick. but it does catch the drips, which is helpful if you're eating it inside (as long as you remember not to tip it).  overall, thumbs up.

the coffee w/milk was good, but I think it would be even better with some fudgsicle to become a mochasicle.  and the juice ones are great, but all of them would be a little better if I started out with more concentrated stuff, since the cold makes things taste less.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #329 on: Jun 12, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »

from the same event two years ago

(safe for work)

http://dcist.com/2008/07/no_pearl_in_these_oysters.php?gallery0Pic=1#gallery

Bernard

« Reply #330 on: Jun 12, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »

It's a novelty. There's no real culinary benefit to them.   They're like onion rings in that you're basically just in it for the fried beer batter and oh hey look there's something inside of this thing.

Did you eat three balls? Or three slices? Those things look pretty big.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #331 on: Jun 12, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »

I took a head of cauliflower, pulled off the leaves & cut away enough stem so it sat level, buttered the thing, shook curry powder all over it and a little salt, then double wrapped it in foil and put it on the grill just long enough to be tender but still have a little life to it.

how did you tell when it was done?  just poke at it?  unwrap it a bit?

Essentially the bolded bit.  Didn't unwrap it, just did a tactile test, to see if there was a little give to the cauliflower that would tell me it had been cooked.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Antero

« Reply #332 on: Jun 13, 2011, 12:07:17 AM »

Dinner tonight is a bottle of dry German sparkling wine and roasting all the vegetables in the fridge.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Bernard

« Reply #333 on: Jun 13, 2011, 02:46:51 AM »

Dudes, hit me with your very best recipes for country gravy (sausage pan gravy). I used to do so well with gravy and then I don't know what happened! Something in my brain broke and now I have screwed it up three times. I think I need to go back and work from instructions again until I re-get the hang of it.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #334 on: Jun 13, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »

Alton Brown?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sawmill-gravy-recipe/index.html

In what manner is it failing? Too thin? You can always cheat with corn starch.

Bernard

« Reply #335 on: Jun 13, 2011, 12:18:35 PM »

Somehow it just doesn't cohere, and I don't seem to be able to cook out the taste of flour. Will try that one, thank you!

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #336 on: Jun 14, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »

No, that's not a typical thing to put on a Chicago dog. Basically there are 2 styles of the Chicago dog, which are the sort of minimalist "Depression" dog--mustard, onions, relish, possibly sport peppers--and the "dragged through the garden" dog--celery salt, mustard, onions, neon green relish, tomato, kosher dill spear, sport peppers.  Also both styles pretty much require an all-beef Vienna Beef brand natural-casing hot dog, steamed, on a poppyseed bun (though there are plenty of places that use plain buns, or shitty wieners, etc).

But those are just the standard styles, and I'm sure if a place has kraut (like if they serve bratwurst or something where that's a more standard topping around here) you can get kraut on your dog. But they won't put ketchup on it. Smile (Actually plenty of places will but the places that refuse to are more fun. Or sometimes if you ask for ketchup they'll pretend you want it for your fries and give it to you in packets on the side).

For those keeping score, it doesn't look much like Martha Stewart's rendition but I doubt you'll find that surprising.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Thermofusion

« Reply #337 on: Jun 14, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »

That looks pretty damn tasty though! Would be better with some chili dumped on top.

triple paisley minimum
Chet

« Reply #338 on: Jun 15, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »

Is it true that in the US you don't really get meat flavoured potato chips? Someone told me this once, and I find that to be absolutely outrageous. I am eating flame grilled flavoured Real McCoys right now and they are DELICIOUS. Just like eating a bunch of crunchy steak.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
jm

« Reply #339 on: Jun 15, 2011, 06:08:27 PM »

yeah, I'm sure I could find some meat-flavored potato chips if I looked hard enough around the city, but they're not, like, a regular thing.  At least not in any of the places I've lived.  The typical potato chip flavor assortment looks like this

"plain"
sour cream & onion (or cheddar & sour cream)
BBQ
salt & vinegar

and then occasionally:
cracked pepper
various popular chili peppers (halapeeno/habanero)
ketchup
pickle*

* these are ace

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Ignatius

« Reply #340 on: Jun 15, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »

I remember when my friend went to Spain in grade school, he brought me back bacon flavored Doritos and it blew my mind. They were, of course, the foulest Doritos I'd eaten to that point, but exotic nonetheless.
Thermofusion

« Reply #341 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »

Does the UK have Taco Bell yet?

triple paisley minimum
Chet

« Reply #342 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »

Does the UK have Taco Bell yet?
No but we just got this place that does these things called "burgers" it goes by the name of McDonalds

Thermofusion

« Reply #343 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »

Never heard of it but it sounds like some kind of Irish joint. They nationalists or unionists?

triple paisley minimum
Ignatius

« Reply #344 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:35:08 PM »

c'mon that is scottish as hell
Ignatius

« Reply #345 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:36:26 PM »

ireland burgers only from bennigans
Chet

« Reply #346 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »

Never heard of it but it sounds like some kind of Irish joint. They nationalists or unionists?
I hear they are the catering wing of the PIRA

peacocks

« Reply #347 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »

I am making something with sweet potatoes. I don't really know what I'm doing. Can't see what temperature my oven is set to because the ink on the dial is worn off and it moves around anyway. I guess I'm gonna chop them up and put them on the cookie sheet with some other stuff. Maybe I should leave them whole and then chop them after they are done baking?

dick-check your priviledge
Thermofusion

« Reply #348 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

I hear they are the catering wing of the PIRA

They be setting bombs off in my GI tract

triple paisley minimum
alex

« Reply #349 on: Jun 15, 2011, 07:55:06 PM »

yeah, I'm sure I could find some meat-flavored potato chips if I looked hard enough around the city, but they're not, like, a regular thing.  At least not in any of the places I've lived.  The typical potato chip flavor assortment looks like this

"plain"
sour cream & onion (or cheddar & sour cream)
BBQ
salt & vinegar

and then occasionally:
cracked pepper
various popular chili peppers (halapeeno/habanero)
ketchup
pickle*

* these are ace

No paprika? Those are by far the most common ones here, with the possible exception of plain salted ones.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Cooking is intuitive and experimental until something gets set on fire: FOOD
Jump to: