Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 21, 2014, 03:02:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658105 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 41 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: two hours older and more tired- movies thread!  (Read 24565 times)
Trousers and Pat

« on: Mar 13, 2011, 08:14:36 AM »

from here

http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,12929.0.html

The Hong Sang-Soo series starts up over here next week- gonna go see Hahaha tomorrow and then like everything else after that. yessss.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
edison

« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2011, 12:54:06 PM »

from here

http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,12929.0.html

The Hong Sang-Soo series starts up over here next week- gonna go see Hahaha tomorrow and then like everything else after that. yessss.

aaargh why don't I live in Paris

Hahaha is out in two weeks here though, thank God!
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »

I kind of doubt I'll even be able to get in tonight though... we'll see

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »

Anyway, last night I saw The Battle of Algiers on a pulldown screen at a local community center. Visually it was a beautiful piece of work, but am I missing something? There's only so many gorgeous & swarthy people I can see getting whacked before I get bored. I need a storyline.

Besides, we've got a pretty gripping one IRL, right now.

The music is good too

fishjim

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2011, 07:17:19 PM »

Yep, good music too. It had everything but the story, which I guess is history. Maybe I'm just cranky.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
peacocks

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »

OK everyone. I watched A MOVIE this weekend. It was not a pleasant experience. It was called "Enter The Void" (maybe you have heard of it or seen it on netflix) and maybe it should have been called "Enter the Screensaver." It was one of those requiem for a dream type hallucinogen movies where everything sucks and it tries to out bummer every bummer movie that came before it. The one cool thing about it was that it had a god's eye view to everything because the protagonist is just a spirit floating around viewing his life and the people in his life objectively, without judgement. The bad thing is it is a total bummer (I can't reiterate this enough) and the floating lasts 2 1/2 hours.

There's also a really ~*interesting*~ scene that reminds me both of a sex ed video and the opening credits for "Look Who's Talking"

dick-check your priviledge
Babar

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »

That film marinates in your mind the whole week after seeing it. I came to the conclusion that it was a great film.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »

I watched a movie yesterday called Black Sheep.  I believe milly posted about it once.  It is a Kiwi comedy horror movie about genetically modified killer zombie sheep with bites that turn people into were-sheep, or some shit.  It was not quite as funny as I hoped but still somewhat entertaining.  I did dig the part where to get rid of the giant hippy were-sheep they threw mint sauce on him.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
peacocks

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »

xpost I'll just have to wait a week I guess. It would have been better if they had expedited the trippy screensaver scenes. Also the main vision I got from the movie that is marinating in my mind is shot after shot of guy hunching girl. That wouldn't be a bad thing if all the girls didn't look either distressed or disinterested.

G.C.R

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »

Is it worth seeing though? I'm sort of curious, though I think I'm nearing the end of being bothered with filmmakers like Noe. He gets one last chance, but the more films I see, the more i realise that there's just so much stuff that's straight up good I don't want to waste time with things I might not like (Haneke struck out in a similar way with me recently.) on this same note, that was why i turned Tromeo and Juliet off after about five minutes last night. There's more, better expliotation-style fare out there that doesn't feel like its trying so damn hard!

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Greg Nog

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:06:22 PM »

I was going to post a thing about how shitty The Legend of The Guardians was, as I saw it last night and was rather disappointed.  But I just now watched A History of Violence, and compared to that, 300-With-Owls looks like Hamlet.

I feel betrayed, that Netflix predicted I would give A History Of Violence three and a half stars.  Come on, Netflix.  Really?
Good Intentions

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2011, 10:28:12 PM »

I watched a movie yesterday called Black Sheep.  I believe milly posted about it once.  It is a Kiwi comedy horror movie about genetically modified killer zombie sheep with bites that turn people into were-sheep, or some shit.  It was not quite as funny as I hoped but still somewhat entertaining.  I did dig the part where to get rid of the giant hippy were-sheep they threw mint sauce on him.
Yeah, not the greatest movie, but some of the special effects were boss. It was either not scary or not funny enough when there wasn't slimy sheep abominations on screen.
fishjim

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2011, 12:21:08 AM »

I feel betrayed, that Netflix predicted I would give A History Of Violence three and a half stars.  Come on, Netflix.  Really?

We are brothers, Nog. I still get a little twitchy when people recommend that movie to me.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
davy

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2011, 12:36:08 AM »

I just watched Unstoppable with motherfucking Denzel W.

(He's pretty much my favorite actor.)

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
G.C.R

« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2011, 02:10:20 AM »

I have to say I'm a little disappointed if Legend of the Guardians isn't too shit hot. I like owls, and i wanted to enjoy a film with them in it.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Anne the Man

« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »

I enjoyed Legend of the Guardians, but I had no expectations about it at all going in, so that's a bit different. I wanted to stab the Owl City music in the ear, why did that vile man have to attach himself to a perfectly good word/concept and ruin it just a little! It's like how much I love the word twilight Sad

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
peacocks

« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:19:07 AM »

I saw Demolition Man for the first time ever last night! It was so hilarious, Sandy B is a classic nerd! Her delivery is so awkward it works. Stallone is a better actor than I thought and Wesley Snipes is hilarious, my favorite villain.

Tonight I saw the new tron which I thought was way boring and generic. And the music was hyped up to me so much but it just sounded like movie music. I guess I could tell daft punk did it in parts but most of it was not as impressive as people made it out to be.

We also watched The Little Mermaid, the original hans christian anderson story in anime from the 70's. It was a tooootal bummer. I liked it though.

I guess I also saw about half of the movie Freeway starring Reese Witherspoon which was pretty funny and totally nuts. What made it funnier was that my friends convinced me that lady gaga was in it as the other girl in prison who reese fucks up to get jail cred. Shut up! I didn't know when the movie came out!

that's a lot of movies. goodnight.

davy

« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:23:26 AM »

I was Suckerpunched to the tune of $9 tonight.

It looked great, and used a strong Bjork track to great effect, but was a big bag of flaws otherwise.

peacocks

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:25:42 AM »

yeah I heard that movie was a sexist piece of garbage.

davy

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:27:23 AM »

It almost begs you to call it sexist.

peacocks

« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2011, 02:29:56 AM »

oh, I know nothing about it aside from that.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2011, 06:32:59 AM »

I have cheap tickets tonight, I think I'll go see like Rango or some shit

Thermofusion

« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »

The reviews for Sucker Punch have been especially fun to read.

triple paisley minimum
coldforge

« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »

Doug Benson's 8-words-or-less review of that movie was something along the lines of 'Jon Hamm isn't listening to this, is he?'

l'era del terzo mondo.
Dick

« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »

I saw Suckerpunch last weekend.  I fully expected it to be completely terrible, but I had a night with nothing to do and a birthday movie theater gift card, and everything else looked equally terrible, so I thought what the hell, I'll have something of-the-moment to bitch about, feel like I'm participating in the general cultural experience for once. 

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (though still bad).  I think a lot of people are falling over themselves to criticize the movie for its emptiness, when the emptiness is probably kind of the point.  I think this director guy actually is trying to say something about how we construct our escapist fantasies.

Also, this movie is sexist because...the girls are young and good-looking and scantily-clad?  This movie is sexist, for sure.  My question is, does the sexism rise above the background-radiation level of sexism that is inherent in making a Hollywood movie.  I mean, the male characters are such crude caricatures of The State, Organized Religion, etc. as oppressive male-dominated institutions it almost makes me wonder if the director has something to say about patriarchy.  I mean, he doesn't, but Kill Bill, a similarly gaudy movie with no real plot, certainly never made me feel that way (rather the opposite, with those leering 20 second shots of Uma Thurman's perfectly-manicured feet, hilarious rape jokes, and so on).

I liked all the subtext I read into the movie, in a kind of high school sophomore intellectual way.  Plus, I am in favor of using battlemechs to fend off steampunk kraut soldiers and hijacking bullet trains to Neo-Tokyo, etc.

We believe in hydration.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: two hours older and more tired- movies thread!
Jump to: