Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 22, 2014, 08:34:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658307 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 53 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
Print
Author Topic: two hours older and more tired- movies thread!  (Read 24805 times)
G.C.R

« Reply #500 on: Sep 04, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »

I saw der blaue engel or however you spell it the other day, I'd got it out because classic blah blah, guess I should see something that might be better than Rango or whatever, and oh man, I loved this so fucking hard. Like better than M even. Whycome Germans were making films so many lightyears ahead of anywhere else in the late 1920s, early 30s?
Then last night I saw Spider Baby - campy fun, and even though he's hammy, Lon Chaney Jr's performance is surprisingly touching. Also cool seeing Sid Haig from The Devil's Rejects as a young man.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Captain

« Reply #501 on: Sep 04, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »

Captain, did you see the English language one w.k.w did? I only even heard of it recently. If yoou like him, maybe you could try for directors with similar tone or aesthetics? Do you like Tsai Ming Liang?

I looked up the english language one (My Blueberry Nights yes?).  Sounds promising... though I'm a little bit wary.  Like, I'm afraid something will be lost?  I'm not sure what I'm worried about.  By the way, since when is Natalie Portman in every fucking movie ever???

In regards to Tsai Ming Liang, I have only seen Wayward Cloud.  While I did like that movie, it's sometimes hard for me to disassociate it from the experience of seeing it as a valentine's day date movie.  Fucking awful idea!  The worst!  Still, a well put together film.

Thanks for the rec's!
G.C.R

« Reply #502 on: Sep 05, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »

Whoa yeah, that is NOT a date movie, oh my. his other films tend towards tamer - What time is it there is great,  a sort of prequel to the events in Wayward Cloud, but is stylistically different (not a musical! no long, drawn out, unpleasant rape scenes!) And Vive L'Amour is good too.

I watched Drive Angry last night! OH. It was fun. If Nic Cage was any hammier he would be sold at the market and fattened for christmas. His face twitches when he has to start emoting in any way ever. I like how he looks old and seedy, and keeps scowling aggrssively at women, and that makes tham want to fuck him. Which he does, while shooting people and pounding a 40. I enjoyed this near as much as Piranha 3D.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Thermofusion

« Reply #503 on: Sep 06, 2011, 01:37:14 PM »

I watched Drive Angry last night! OH. It was fun. If Nic Cage was any hammier he would be sold at the market and fattened for christmas. His face twitches when he has to start emoting in any way ever. I like how he looks old and seedy, and keeps scowling aggrssively at women, and that makes tham want to fuck him. Which he does, while shooting people and pounding a 40. I enjoyed this near as much as Piranha 3D.

FUCK YES G.C.R. I loved Drive Angry

triple paisley minimum
peacocks

« Reply #504 on: Sep 07, 2011, 11:40:51 PM »

rewatched paper moon for the many'th time to feel good again and it worked.

dick-check your priviledge
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #505 on: Sep 08, 2011, 03:54:34 AM »

i had some time to kill at school today, so i went in and sat in on film 101. then this big group came and sat next to me, boxing me in. there was no escape, so i prayed the film would be good.

it was trekkies.

so yeah, i just watched trekkies.

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
peacocks

« Reply #506 on: Sep 08, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »

isn't the lady who is obsessed with Data and can see his house from her bedroom window totally kind of sweet and adorable and not creepy at all?

hannah

« Reply #507 on: Sep 08, 2011, 06:49:25 PM »

why would they show that in film 101
jm

« Reply #508 on: Sep 08, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »

Yeah, that's really bizarre.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
G.C.R

« Reply #509 on: Sep 08, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »

Weird film choice, yeah. Was the lecturer cute? i keep hearing from people that he's cute, but I've only seen him from a distance and he had his scooter helmet on so it was hard to tell.

Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #510 on: Sep 09, 2011, 01:53:45 AM »

he was pretty cute, i was a bit nervous cause his name was like jacobus pretorius and i am apparently insanely racially prejudiced, but he seemed cool. i think they were studying genre, and for some reason they decided that was a good middle-of-the-road example of the documentary genre.

also, the "spiner-femme" woman was kinda sweet, but incredibly, incredibly creepy. i felt bad for her husband and children.

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #511 on: Sep 12, 2011, 04:49:36 AM »

I saw Piel Que Habito, the new Almodovar yesterday and it was mad good. And creepy as hell at times, in its way. Maybe its because I saw it around noon and did done nothing but drink coffee before going in but I thought the movie had this great tension all the way through.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #512 on: Sep 12, 2011, 04:51:41 AM »

After the movie my friend was like "you men really are such beasts"

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
edison

« Reply #513 on: Sep 12, 2011, 04:59:21 AM »

I am, incredibly enough, an Almodovar virgin (have always been annoyed by the guy's interviews and as a result wary of his films) - but I have plans to see this one with a friend maybe this week!

This weekend I saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams (good but not usual-Herzog-good, and (argh!) dubbed), Fireworks Wednesday (very good) and Moretti's latest Habemus Papam (mildly enjoyable, with a great performance by Piccoli, but very, very slight). This week is the Festival Européen du Film Fantastique, and I am hoping to see a few obscure giallos and Take Shelter (the follow-up to Shotgun Stories, again with Michael Shannon), which I'm very much looking forward to.
peacocks

« Reply #514 on: Sep 12, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »

Boomtown: a great movie about milk mining, or something like it.

davy

« Reply #515 on: Sep 13, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »

Shit, [rec] is SCARY.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
peacocks

« Reply #516 on: Sep 13, 2011, 12:42:49 PM »

I LOVE THAT MOVIE! And it is so scary! rec 2 is even better (scarier)!!1

edison

« Reply #517 on: Sep 16, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »

Last night I went to Take Shelter, the new film by the guy who did Shotgun Stories, which i loved, and also starring Michael Shannon, who I also love. I was... not prepared for this film. It was fucking brilliant, but it triggered a whole lot of bad feelings for me, I mean, there are scenes where Michael Shannon is mentally just falling to bits and is having such trouble expressing what is happening to the people who care about him that I was sitting in the front row of the theatre crying and shaking. I liked this film a lot. Its ending did, however, suffer from two fucking egregious things that a lot of American films seem to do - firstly, waaaaay too much music, and secondly, it didn't seem to quite know when to end. It felt like it had an ending point to me, and then went on for a couple more scenes. Recommend, though.

Just saw this and agree with you pretty much 100% - the omnipresence of the music was already bothersome in Shotgun Stories, I thought. But otherwise, powerful stuff - feels like I'm going to need a few hours to recover!
G.C.R

« Reply #518 on: Sep 22, 2011, 03:12:43 AM »

cont'd here

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: two hours older and more tired- movies thread!
Jump to: