Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 19, 2014, 09:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658302 Posts in 9264 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Crack of the Bat, Y'all: A Thread for Baseball  (Read 41790 times)
davy

« on: Mar 16, 2011, 03:54:01 PM »

Baseball fever has definitely hit me this week. Got the 2011 Braves annual, broke out my Braves cap, bought MLB 2K11 for the Xbox (1st new video game purchase in a year), watched my first spring training game, started two separate books (The Baseball Codes and Rickwood Field) and visited Borders to scout for more, signed up for a fantasy league, RSS'ed a couple Braves blogs...I am effin' READY.

I also plan to play some goddamn hardball this year. Or maybe softball. I'm gathering a list of email addresses of people I think might be down for a weekly game, and I'm going to send them something soon to plant the seed.

Wooooo!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »

Things are looking good for my Red Sox. (I've probably mentioned it before, but my grandpa pitched a game for the Red Sox in the 50's, and our whole family has been Red Sox fans ever since.) We had the best offseason imaginable, signing Adrian Gonzalez, who I consider the favorite for AL MVP, and Carl Crawford, an all-star outfielder and great boon to our outfield defense.

That's awesome that you're trying to get a weekly baseball game going, Davy. I've been trying to rehab my shitty, shitty shoulders so that I can play on my older brother's adult baseball league team.

Another good thing about baseball season: it's the only time of year I make any real money. I've umpired for the last 14 years, and this year, since I don't have a job, I've finally gotten my high school license. I'll also be umping some NAIA college games. I did a few last fall, and it went really well. High school games pay about $60/game and NAIA games $80-$100/game, so I can easily make more money for two hours of work than I could all day doing anything else. Plus, it's generally more enjoyable work than anything else I could possibly do. Generally.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
davy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »

Oh, that's cool! One of the baseball books I read last year was As They See 'Em, about umpires at all levels, and what it takes to get to the majors (odds are better for players), and what happens when you get there. It was very eye-opening, and highly recommended if you haven't already read it.

El_Josharino

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2011, 01:02:29 PM »

I also plan to play some goddamn hardball this year. Or maybe softball. I'm gathering a list of email addresses of people I think might be down for a weekly game, and I'm going to send them something soon to plant the seed.

Shit yes, Davy, I hope you make this happen. Our Sunday afternoon games were the highlight of last summer for everyone involved.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
davy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »

Man, I hope so, too. I'm really looking forward to it.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »

Oh, that's cool! One of the baseball books I read last year was As They See 'Em, about umpires at all levels, and what it takes to get to the majors (odds are better for players), and what happens when you get there. It was very eye-opening, and highly recommended if you haven't already read it.

We got this for my dad for I think Father's Day, and he's read it, so we've got it in the house. I'll have to try to fit it into my reading schedule.

Augo

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2011, 01:01:28 PM »

Man I've been shooting photos of baseball for the last couple weeks for the school paper, and even though it's been mostly cold and miserable, I'm so freaking hyped about the season starting.  Getting in to college ball games against teams like UCLA and Fresno State for absolutely free is glorious, and then I get to take 200 pictures of this guy's face:

GO BASEBALL GO

Gonococcus Bear pays a visit!
Thermofusion

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »

Pittsburgh Pirates 2011 World Series Odds: +10000

Pittsburgh Pirates 2011 NL Central Odds: +10000

Pittsburgh Pirates 2011 O/U Win Total: 67.5

don't tempt me, vegas gods

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:11:57 PM »

I hope you'd be taking the under. McCutchen is a stud, and Tabata should be solid and you've got some big young power guy whose name I'm forgetting, but nobody should have to live in a world where Ross Ohlendorf not only is part of a starting rotation, but wins 2.2 mil in arbitration after a 1-11 season.

El_Josharino

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:13:20 PM »

Another thing. Someone showed this to me the other day and it's just fantastic: http://everyhalloffamer.tumblr.com/

RavingLunatic

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »

Another thing. Someone showed this to me the other day and it's just fantastic: http://everyhalloffamer.tumblr.com/

Yes, this is awesome. I had no idea there was a Jim O'Rourke in the Hall of Fame. There used to be a mound in the Hall of Fame that my grandpa had signed (along with the rest of the Yankees and Red Sox teams on the roster during a certain landmark no-hitter), but I think they've rotated it out of exhibition. When I was there in--I think it was 2005--we couldn't find it anymore. 

El_Josharino

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »

I figured out who your grandpa is.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hisneha01.shtml
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2011, 11:04:47 PM by El_Josharino » Logged

RavingLunatic

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »

Hey, nice work! That .500 career batting average is a great source of pride. It was a bloop single over the second baseman's head I think.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2011, 11:45:40 PM by RavingLunatic » Logged

Illest Waffle

« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2011, 12:08:23 AM »

You will never understand what civic duty is all about until you organize a fucking wiffle ball league, shit is hardcore.
On topic: viva beisbol
RavingLunatic

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2011, 07:29:30 PM »

ILLEST WAFFLE. I didn't know if you were still around.

And, man, we used to have backyard whiffleball games at our house almost every day in the summer. I was mostly all-time pitcher, while my younger brothers and their friends made up the teams. And that shit was hardcore. The members of the losing team, especially my brothers, would regularly be pissed after the game. Now they're all at college though, and the backyard hasn't seen a whiffleball game in a long time. 

Thermofusion

« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »

I hope you'd be taking the under. McCutchen is a stud, and Tabata should be solid and you've got some big young power guy whose name I'm forgetting, but nobody should have to live in a world where Ross Ohlendorf not only is part of a starting rotation, but wins 2.2 mil in arbitration after a 1-11 season.

Haha, and there are actually two or three other pitchers in the Pirates' starter rotation with higher ERAs than Ohlendorf (who's 4.something iirc). And yeah, I love the under on 67.5; Pittsburgh only managed 57 last season, and I've been struggling to figure out what offseason developments the oddsmakers have seen that would account for an extra 10.5 wins in 2011: a marginally weaker NL Central? Lyle Overbay? A pitching rotation that's arguably gotten slightly worse? The Vegas dudes are being generous. BUT: if I end up dropping bucks on the under, I'd also drop a few on the Pirates winning the NL Central. You know, for karma's sake.

And yeah, I love McCutchen, don't like Tabata, remain hopeful about Alvarez. Overbay's batted in the 400s in the Grapefruit, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Anyway: despite all that, totally pumped about baseball this season. I'm developing an odd fascination with the Buck Showalter Orioles.

triple paisley minimum
RavingLunatic

« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2011, 10:56:57 PM »

I've been struggling to figure out what offseason developments the oddsmakers have seen that would account for an extra 10.5 wins in 2011: a marginally weaker NL Central?

I figure the NL Central is gonna be stronger this year, especially the pitching. The Reds are going to have a great rotation, especially with Volquez back at full strength after Tommy John, and the Brewers rotation figures to be even better. The Cubs picked up Matt Garza and Zambrano tore it up for the last couple months of the season last year. The loss of Wainwright is about the only serious pitching loss in the division, but the addition of Greinke alone counteracts that.

Both the Reds and Brewers lineups are full of young, talented players who only figure to improve their performance last year.

Illest Waffle

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »

I'm not actually back, I was just making the rounds out of boredom instead of finishing my homework and 'lo, baseball.

I want this so fucking bad: http://www.moonshotbat.com/kscx.php  -- it is a perversion of Wiffle ball bats, what with selling for 200 bux and being made of shome space age materials, but lord I am a weak man.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »

ILLLLLLEST come back, bro, show these bitches what trollin really iz

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Thermofusion

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2011, 11:33:13 PM »

I've been struggling to figure out what offseason developments the oddsmakers have seen that would account for an extra 10.5 wins in 2011: a marginally weaker NL Central?

I figure the NL Central is gonna be stronger this year, especially the pitching. The Reds are going to have a great rotation, especially with Volquez back at full strength after Tommy John, and the Brewers rotation figures to be even better. The Cubs picked up Matt Garza and Zambrano tore it up for the last couple months of the season last year. The loss of Wainwright is about the only serious pitching loss in the division, but the addition of Greinke alone counteracts that.

Both the Reds and Brewers lineups are full of young, talented players who only figure to improve their performance last year.

Well, if you're right, that bodes well for my under bet. Also, man is it weird that the Reds are relevant again.

triple paisley minimum
El_Josharino

« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2011, 03:14:57 AM »

The Reds are somewhat impressive, and Volquez's curve is straight nasty, but ultimately the Reds are a team with eight number three starters. The Brewers should be pretty sweet this year with Greinke and Marcum in the rotation and especially if Wolf can be his 2009 version again. Gallardo is a stud for years to come and with their offense they're probably the team to beat in the central, despite the presence of Yuniesky Betancourt.

davy

« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »

I'm a guy who can get a little excited about ball caps. Maybe this is silly, but I've been this way as far back as I can remember. Getting a new cap when I was a kid was a big deal--the sort of thing I got for making all A's or something. As an adult, it's still sort of a big deal, since I am bald, and they have become more or less essential in the warmer months. Unfortunately, about 10 or 12 years ago, I discovered to my dismay that due primarily to awful fashion trends, caps were no longer being made in my size or style.

Then, two or three years ago, I discovered the Forty-Seven brand. They make fitted caps, mostly--in a loose, frumpy, lovable, vintage style--and they make them very well. There's a huge variety to choose from--dozens of different designs for some teams, a mix of current and retro (i.e. superior) logos. I own two of them (Atlanta Braves & Tennessee Volunteers) and they're very comfortable. I have become addicted. Their designers deserve some sort of award.

Take a look at some of my favorites:

And then they all have some smaller design on the back, like so:

Here's a link to one of their design series: http://www.lids.com/search/cooperstown%20franchise
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2011, 04:17:29 PM by davy » Logged

Dick

« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »

A few months ago I almost bought a Homestead Grays baseball cap, which would have been the first baseball cap I've owned since I was probably ten.

I still might.

We believe in hydration.
kadiekatRN

« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »

I have that Brewer's cap.
davy

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »

It's lovely. The Cubs cap at top and the Padres at bottom--those are my absolute favorites.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 33
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Crack of the Bat, Y'all: A Thread for Baseball
Jump to: