Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Aug 01, 2014, 09:56:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657809 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: If your boss is an S.O.B tell him to S.H.O.V.E the J.O.B - new job thrad  (Read 24474 times)
peacocks

« Reply #100 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:36:39 PM »

I haven't looked at that link yet but judging from the code I'll say that just yesterday a co-worker and I were talking about that very topic- starting our own businesses. Neither of us were the type to be married to our work even though we love what we do. My boss is the owner of my company and he is constantly working. He loves it! Can't get enough! I don't think I could ever be like that. It's excellent to raise your kids to be whatever they want to be and have lofty goals, but if everyone was an entrepreneuer who would be the employees? Is that a horrible thing to say? I feel like I still have lofty goals for myself- but they are not career oriented.

I was just thinking about my goals now compared to when I was a child and I think that even as a child my goals didn't have anything to do with starting my own business or being the head of anything. I wanted to train orcas and dolphins at sea world, then I wanted to be an architect, then I wanted to write for a magazine, then I wanted to work in a wildlife rehabilitation shelter. I came at all of these ideas with the mind of someone who would be employed by someone else and have a boss and I'm wondering if this is because my mother had a very structured government job where there were ranks of people above her- bosses, supervisors, team leaders etc. and my dad was always bouncing from job to unemployment to a totally different job. Maybe I was just used to hearing them talk about those kinds of things and it influenced my expectations for my own life. Middle class parents raising middle class children and such. That is how the world was set up for me. So the opinion in the above paragraph is probably not something I would have if my parents owned their own businesses or were gajillionaires or something like that. I'm sure that whole concept is super well worn territory.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2011, 03:49:37 PM by peacocks » Logged

dick-check your priviledge
cold before sunrise

« Reply #101 on: Jul 08, 2011, 03:50:23 PM »

it's a good lecture. while i'm surprised you'd respond without having watched the clip it strikes me as interesting how many people talk about things they will never do and complain about things they will never change. is that a horrible thing to say? it seems there will never be a shortage of folks waiting for marching orders.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
peacocks

« Reply #102 on: Jul 08, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

No, it's not a horrible thing to say. I haven't watched the clip because TED talks are long (but awesome) and I'm at work. I responded because the title of the clip made me think something that I thought was worth posting and because it was kind of relevant to a conversation I had recently which also made me think some other stuff. I don't think I'm complaining about anything. I mean, I was cold yesterday afternoon but it didn't mean I had a rotten day or anything. Boats are fun and I'm lucky I get paid to sometimes ride in one. Maybe you mean in general in which case sure.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #103 on: Jul 09, 2011, 01:47:33 AM »

but if everyone was an entrepreneuer who would be the employees? Is that a horrible thing to say?

ROBOTS.

Once I was watching this liberal/conservative debate over jobs and economics and such, and when the liberal guy said something about the average American, the conservative responded, "The average American is a small business owner." Sort of revealing of the mindset of those people.

A couple months ago I went to a Q&A, town hall meeting type thing with our local Congressman (who happens to be none other than the notorious Mike Pence, the dude who put forward the proposal for cutting off Planned Parenthood from all federal money), and a lot of the people who asked questions were small business owners. All they could talk about was how oppressed they are by taxes. One dude's story was interesting. He explained that he was a small business owner and that when the recession hit, he made cuts, and, like a good public-minded entrepreneur, laid off many of his employees. As a result of this generous act of self-denial, his profits increased. So far so good. To his dismay, however, the BIG BAD GOVERNMENT, rather than reward this selfless man, instead punished him. With taxes! "I got burnt," he lamented.

At times I have heard small businessmen and their advocates boast about the job-creating ability of small businesses, but they don't have the keen insight of this small businessman, who understands that in times of recession, society cannot bear the burden of small businesses wasting money employing people. When I think of all the agony this entrepreneur went through having to lay off employees, all for the greater public good, and then realize that such largesse was rewarded with TAXES.....the tears flow.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
RavingLunatic

« Reply #104 on: Jul 09, 2011, 01:52:21 AM »

For fuck's sake, looking at job descriptions you would think that nobody anywhere does any productive work of any kind. Why must these things be set up so that any progress happens by accident?

Have you ever thought about a career in marketing, GI?

I will meditate and then destroy you!
peacocks

« Reply #105 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »

but isn't the whole idea of unionizing not to quit and be your own boss but to have a more livable wage and better working conditions? Just because someone has a blue collar job doesn't mean they are mindless sheep and it doesn't mean they have to be unhappy with what they are doing or that their jobs define who they are. And "why don't they unionize" is a hilarious question when a lot of times the reason is because companies will fire anyone who even mentions anything like starting a union. Most people can't afford that. And a lot of people who would benefit from unions are against unionizing for other reasons. It's not easy.

milly balgeary

« Reply #106 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »

There's a certain amount of honor in settling for being a wageslave, especially because you can DISMANTLE the system from the inside!

peacocks

« Reply #107 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »

smash the state

milly balgeary

« Reply #108 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »

that's right COCKS, get in there in that break room and start replacing all the food in the refrigerator with machinefabriek's albums after you steal them all from nick ink's house.

milly balgeary

« Reply #109 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »

you HEAR that world of money and glass steel bosses?! we are coming like the dandelions of the flame, thin dukes from the FUTURE, to replace all of your shit with machinefabriek.

Ignatius

« Reply #110 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »

you are all twinkies today, milly.
milly balgeary

« Reply #111 on: Jul 09, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »

i know!  Heart

catching up with my internet friends while i rehab the pulled muscle in me' back.

Anne the Man

« Reply #112 on: Jul 12, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »

Ugh dear god, I am putting up press releases for NZ rather than world news today, and it is SO BORING. I DON'T GIVE A CHRIST ABOUT WINERIES HELPING RICH PEOPLE DRINK WINE, OR ATTRACTIVE-BUT-NON-THREATENING CHILDREN WEARING RUGBY SHIRTS THEIR MUMS MADE FROM RECYCLED WEKA SHIT, FFS. Sorry for yelling, I am bored enough that caps lock is exciting and novel.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
C of heartbreak

« Reply #113 on: Jul 12, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »

That reminds me of the local paper's headline today: "Man Forced to Move Mailbox"

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
mixed cats

« Reply #114 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:06:05 AM »

Apple discontinued the whitebook today, which means goodbye to the fun part of my job.. We'll be able to scrounge up enough to do this for the next six months. Then BOY do we ever hope one of those stupid Android tablets works out.

ETA: I've found they're not discontinuing it entirely but making them only available to educational institutions. Now I'm worried we WON'T be able to get the sox months' worth. crap crap crap
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 10:34:50 AM by mixed cats » Logged

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
elpollodiablo

« Reply #115 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »

Wait, what? Your job is dependent on the polycarbonate MacBook?

think 'on the road.'
mixed cats

« Reply #116 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »

Yeah, we turn the Macbook into a speech generating device. Half my job is installing touchscreens on them. The other half is being in control of a sort of library of things we send out for speech pathologists to trial with their patients.

They've been developing our stuff for Android for a while and had intended on adding one of those midsize tablets to the product line in the next few months, but it looks like we might end up losing all our Apple stuff and ONLY have the tablet by the end of the year. wheeee

elpollodiablo

« Reply #117 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »

Huh. So they didn't have any immediate contingency plans in the event of this happening? Did they expect that model to be around forever?

Also is there some reason the same thing can't be done with the Air at the same price point?
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 11:17:46 AM by elpollodiablo » Logged

think 'on the road.'
mixed cats

« Reply #118 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »

Our immediate contingency plan is that we talk to our dude at the Apple Store and buy 900 of them at once. We've always expected them to eventually get rid of it, so it's just been a matter of when. Honestly we were EXTREMELY lucky when they updated to the unibody version without discontinuing it then. At least now we have other stuff in development that's usable within two months.

I can't do TS installs on any of the metal-cased machines. It works if you hook it up, but it's impossible to actually get it all together (this version involves drilling into the plastic etc)

milly balgeary

« Reply #119 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »

Man, I do identity management and security shit at my job, which is database/account management type shit. So I'm coming back from the b'room and I sit down at my desk and notice some chicks comin up. It is a work related matter. I don't know either of em. One is older and the other one is this skinny attractive ga who just startedl. SAG says, "You are into Justin Bieber?"
I have 2 monitors and on one of them I had clicked on a link on the MSN webpage for "Justin Bieber working with hip hop artists to new album". I was CURIOUS. MAN, she arched a HEELarious eyebrow at me and it sort of wriggled. I had forgotten bout that shit, and my ass got red in the face, and flustered! I was like, "can we redo this whole scene? I'mma pick a cool-ass website."

peacocks

« Reply #120 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:44:39 PM »

which website would you have chosen?

milly balgeary

« Reply #121 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:53:03 PM »

I haven't any idea. Something good though.

dumbfish

« Reply #122 on: Jul 20, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »

LPTJ's special place, natch.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
jm

« Reply #123 on: Jul 20, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »

"Let's see what these folks are fuckin today"

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
milly balgeary

« Reply #124 on: Jul 20, 2011, 07:48:47 PM »

The sex addict forum?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: If your boss is an S.O.B tell him to S.H.O.V.E the J.O.B - new job thrad
Jump to: