Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 24, 2014, 02:26:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657774 Posts in 9259 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 58 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
Author Topic: If your boss is an S.O.B tell him to S.H.O.V.E the J.O.B - new job thrad  (Read 24377 times)
Em

« Reply #475 on: Jul 26, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »

I respectfully disagree on a number of key points and think we have some common ground in some other areas.
Em

« Reply #476 on: Jul 26, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »

And yeah, to answer your initial question, I have read that one.

Congratulations on your new gig by the way! (Read with deep sincerity!) Did you always plan to become a teacher?
Em

« Reply #477 on: Jul 26, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »

I would also like to note, for the record, that while I don't particularly feel the need to go on the defensive here--I really believe in what I'm doing and yeah, you can paint it a certain way, but it's really not at all what you're describing--I did have to take a step back and really think about it after my first interview with this place. We're new on the scene, and I had heard rumblings but ... I mean, my having a history of contributing to DFER and me being DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for making sure my org has the financial capacity to go into new states and royally piss off a bunch of people who would otherwise be my natural allies are two completely different things. So yes, teacher's unions in states that some of y'all live in are mad at things I'm raising money for. Sorry.

That said, I do professionally talk/write the super-rich out of their money. Which is fun.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #478 on: Jul 27, 2012, 08:06:04 PM »

Man, I worked my fucking *ass* off this week. And it's unclear whether or not I'm going to be able to keep this job in the long term. Sad

think 'on the road.'
jebreject

« Reply #479 on: Jul 27, 2012, 09:03:20 PM »

Man, I worked my fucking *ass* off this week. And it's unclear whether or not I'm going to be able to keep this job in the long term. Sad

Oh no, why?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
heather marie

« Reply #480 on: Jul 27, 2012, 09:46:41 PM »

I work with really stupid, mean people who are kind of the worst ever and I hate that the assholes I work for and with are the reasons I hate my job.

I also just got done working a straight week of overnights and I am so sleep deprived and miserable because my daytime co-workers found it necessary to call me during the day to ask me questions they should know. Also, I ain't getting paid for that shit so leave me alone. Reason #500 why I demoted myself from a salaried position.
Nick Ink

« Reply #481 on: Jul 28, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »

So I've just spent 10 hours over Friday evening and Saturday writing materials for upcoming teacher training sessions. I'm about halfway through what I need to prepare for two sessions and I think I'll get about £100 before tax for the whole lot. I'm quite satisfied with the quality of work I've done, but a bit disheartened when I work out how crap the remuneration works out. The silver lining is that if (when?) we run this course again in future terms/years, I'll have all the material ready to go, and still get paid the same for 3 hours work. Which will be better.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #482 on: Jul 28, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »

epd and hm, this page is suddenly full of glumness :-(

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #483 on: Jul 28, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »

Oh no, why?

Money.

think 'on the road.'
heather marie

« Reply #484 on: Jul 28, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »

epd and hm, this page is suddenly full of glumness :-(

sorry! I'll talk about something awesome!

one of my bosses is really passionate about her job and gives me hope. she's our HR director and no part of her job description states she should have client interaction, but every day she spends a good chunk of her day talking with clients and being all around awesome. she got me a congrats card for getting accepted into grad school, always asks how I am doing with self-care and suggests taking vacation days, and warms my heart that is slowly become blackened by the evil boss. so, uh, yay awesome boss.
G.C.R

« Reply #485 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:51:13 PM »

Teaching this week was really fun. My new students were engaged and interested and smart, laughing and seeming to enjoy themselves. This job sucks a bit quite a lot of the time, but man, I like actual class time.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Good Intentions

« Reply #486 on: Jul 29, 2012, 12:45:50 AM »

Teaching this week was really fun. My new students were engaged and interested and smart, laughing and seeming to enjoy themselves. This job sucks a bit quite a lot of the time, but man, I like actual class time.
I try to think about the class time, and forget all about the marking and calling up kids for cheating time.
Anne the Man

« Reply #487 on: Jul 30, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »

WORKMATE SHUT UP WITH YOUR MEANINGLESS MONOTONE ABOUT TWITTER IN-JOKES I'M APPARENTLY SUPPOSED TO FIND FUNNY grargh

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
Ashley

« Reply #488 on: Jul 30, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »

my co-editors are editing for the sake of editing.  Sad

guys this article was obviously written by someone whose first language is english, don't edit that.  that's called a writer's voice, not awkward english.  stop that.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Dick

« Reply #489 on: Jul 31, 2012, 01:11:52 AM »

Just got an unsolicited job offer w/ a 30% raise & title bump, w/ a probable further 10% and another title bump in 6 months or so.  + nice benefits, shorter commute, work for smaller company, fewer hours because the manager is not an asshole who tries to bonus off of understaffing. 

I'm feeling conflicted about the offer but I think that's just nerves.  I'm going to take the job, and the filthy fucking money.  Annoyed at all the overtime I've put into my current job the last 6 months though.  Should have been takin that shit easy!

We believe in hydration.
clare

« Reply #490 on: Jul 31, 2012, 05:13:12 AM »

My boss, about whom the bloke said "the only way she could be a worse manager is if she was actively abusive" is going away for 5 weeks. She's left some, but not all,  of the admin to me. I'm constantly feeling like I'm not up to the task, but then I get a wave of "how hard can it be?" So I'm totally conflicted. I've been exhausted for the last 3 weeks as she's been working me into the ground to get sorted for her departure. I keep hoping that things will actually settle down while she's away (it often does).

She's a small-business mum-management style micro-manager which I don't mind a lot of the time, but man, the sense of guilt when she unawarely says things like "my wages bill this week is $8000. I can't afford that", and I know that part of the reason it's so high is that she's been paying me to learn how to do her job, along with paying me to do random little tasks for her.. blahblahblah. I need to learn to set it aside and disengage a bit better I guess, but I'm keen for the money.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
peacocks

« Reply #491 on: Jul 31, 2012, 10:15:30 AM »

Dick, that sounds great! how is the money filthy? It sounds like you deserve every penny.

Clare, she should not be making you feel guilty for doing your job or telling you how much her wages bill is. I always feel really crappy when I overhear money stuff at my office.

dick-check your priviledge
Dick

« Reply #492 on: Jul 31, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »

I work in the oil & gas industry =\

We believe in hydration.
peacocks

« Reply #493 on: Jul 31, 2012, 02:37:53 PM »

oh, well. you know. it's texas and all. My step dad used to work as a geologist on an oil rig in the gulf of mexico. he kinda hated it.

dick-check your priviledge
Em

« Reply #494 on: Aug 02, 2012, 10:04:23 PM »

I hope today was "Make Yourself Look Like an Asshat at Work" day, because between technology failing me, my judgment with respect to interpersonal interactions failing me, and my level of competency being generally inadequate, I really fucked up. A lot.

I feel like going into hiding, and I still have like three hours of work left to do tonight. Somebody please go back and fix it, thanks.
clare

« Reply #495 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:22:21 AM »

Ouch, I hate those days too Em. Where I know I've been a dickhead interpersonally and professionally. I had an interesting conversation with a co-worker about it the other day though, where I said that it's hard when people can't see how many times in a day I bite my tongue and say nothing - they only notice when I blurt out what's in my head, which may or may not be annoying to them. She has the same tendency though (which I hadn't really noticed) so that was helpful for me to see that I'm not the only one it happens to.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Em

« Reply #496 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »

Today: equally or even more awesome. Multi-tasked like a maniac all day (even though it's SUPPOSED to be a "summer Friday'), have a pounding headache to show for it, and still managed to piss someone right the hell off.

If someone from a different department sent you a document requesting that you complete some very time-consuming tasks by a certain date, and that document was maybe 90% perfectly clear to the outside observer but contained some ambiguities, would you a) ask the person who sent you the document to please clarify what she wanted you to do before you started working or b) just go ahead and take a pretty interesting guess and spend many hours producing the wrong thing?

'Cause I just had to write a rather self-flagellating e-mail apologizing to the person in question, and it's annoying when a chunk of time that could be spent being productive is instead spent writing a message whose only function is to smooth over a shitty situation and make it so there's a possibility that one day everyone won't hate you. 

Also, I keep randomly using the To: and Cc: fields inappropriately.

Must. Stop. Screwing. Up.
jebreject

« Reply #497 on: Aug 03, 2012, 08:53:56 PM »

Please don't be too hard on yourself, Em! I imagine most people understand that you're new to the position (and the company!) and it takes a while to learn that stuff. If they don't understand that, well, then they're jerks! I bet you're doing a great job, and once you've mastered everything, you're going to be totally awesome! Stay positive!

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
The_Tourist

« Reply #498 on: Aug 03, 2012, 09:19:22 PM »

me and my boss have desks on lofted areas in opposite corners of the room.

we now have an inter-office telephone that consists of plastic cups by each of our desks connected by a string, with a couple lids taped down to hang them up on. professional.

we have the money for missiles and fun
Em

« Reply #499 on: Aug 03, 2012, 09:22:33 PM »

Yeah, sorry, am trying! Was very TIRED when I wrote that!

Really, have moved on from being hard on myself to realizing that in this case someone else did something quite counterintuitive and I had to take to the heat and that's just how it goes sometimes. Have made a mental note not to work from any underlying assumptions with this person in the future (not that he's not a smart person, just very literal-minded I think!). The more you know, lesson learned, and so forth!

x-post: ha ha ha
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: If your boss is an S.O.B tell him to S.H.O.V.E the J.O.B - new job thrad
Jump to: