Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 23, 2014, 01:50:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658126 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 43 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: If your boss is an S.O.B tell him to S.H.O.V.E the J.O.B - new job thrad  (Read 24868 times)
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #250 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »

For real though, it's I guess the largest Chicago suburb and you can get downtown (or get there from downtown) relatively comfortably on the Metra. I don't get there too much but there was a decent brewpub in town (the Roundhouse, formerly Walter Payton's Roundhouse, then America's Historic Roundhouse after the Payton family pulled the rights to Sweetness' name, and now Two Brothers Roundhouse) whose brewmaster was a buddy of mine that had some financial difficulties and ended up getting bought out. So one of the better breweries in Illinois currently has a presence in Aurora. Which is pretty good. Also there's this theater there that a couple buddies of mine keep trying to get me to go to, they serve beer and food and often have events with celebrities (B-listers to be sure but tell me you wouldn't go see a Back to the Future marathon hosted by Doc Brown? Well, I didn't, but mostly because Aurora is pretty damn inconvenient for me to get to and the buddy who wanted to drag me there had to back out last minute)

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Thermofusion

« Reply #251 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:44:55 PM »

Access to Chicago is a huge plus. I'm more concerned with how my Southerner skin would cope with the average January high of 29.

Still, I'm kind of in beggars-can't-be-choosers mode, because my job hunting has been generally fruitless. Even though they're not offering me much more than what I make now, or offering any relocation assistance, I'm pretty tempted to bite just out of desperation. Also I'm gratified and surprised that they'd consider me without conducting an in-person interview (chalking this up to talking shop about the Cubs with the HR manager over the phone and having really, really awesome references)

triple paisley minimum
jebreject

« Reply #252 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:11:52 PM »

If you move to IL I will threaten to hang out with you but then probably never really do it

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #253 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

I lived in aurora for a couple months earlier this year, and it's not bad. It's, you know, not Chicago, but Chicago is SUPER accessible to it.  I'd hang out with you for sure.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #254 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »

O Hey, you also probably know this, but if not: your moving expenses will be tax-deductible if you move out here.  I can help you with that, as I am a Chicago Area tax professional. w00t.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
JamesSchneider

« Reply #255 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »

High five Midwest lptjers! Despite my proximity to Chicago, I've yet to make it down. I would like to find an excuse to do so, maybe in the new year.

On the topic of this thread, I've spent the last 9 months having a constantly shifting schedule. I work as a line cook 3 nights a week on 10-12 hour shifts, then 35 or so hours doing dialectic behavioral therapy for adults with dual-diagnosis developmental disabilities and mental illness. I love the work for the most part, and while the hours are a bit much - lots of back to back shifts, unpredictable scheduling week-to-week - it seems bad form to complain about overemployment in Michigan in 2011. Anyway, as of next week, I will be starting in on a new, set in stone weekly schedule for the DBT work. This means I will have consistent, planned after-school time and meals with my fiancÚ and daughter 4 nights a week, up from 1-2. I am so excited I can barely stand it.

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
Thermofusion

« Reply #256 on: Oct 29, 2011, 07:04:51 PM »

If I take that job, I will definitely hang out with all of you. And I will track down and club blucas over the head and drag him to the hang-out spot if that's what it takes (apparently that's what it takes)

triple paisley minimum
fishjim

« Reply #257 on: Oct 31, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »

High five Midwest lptjers! Despite my proximity to Chicago, I've yet to make it down. I would like to find an excuse to do so, maybe in the new year.

On the topic of this thread, I've spent the last 9 months having a constantly shifting schedule. I work as a line cook 3 nights a week on 10-12 hour shifts, then 35 or so hours doing dialectic behavioral therapy for adults with dual-diagnosis developmental disabilities and mental illness. I love the work for the most part, and while the hours are a bit much - lots of back to back shifts, unpredictable scheduling week-to-week - it seems bad form to complain about overemployment in Michigan in 2011. Anyway, as of next week, I will be starting in on a new, set in stone weekly schedule for the DBT work. This means I will have consistent, planned after-school time and meals with my fiancÚ and daughter 4 nights a week, up from 1-2. I am so excited I can barely stand it.

I'm so happy for you, JS. Dialectic behavioral therapy saved my life - or at least kept it kicking while I was getting my meds & livelihood back on track.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
peacocks

« Reply #258 on: Nov 03, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »

just had to call 911 for my coworker who is 6 months pregnant and turned 40 yesterday  Shocked

dick-check your priviledge
fishjim

« Reply #259 on: Nov 03, 2011, 12:08:58 PM »

sorry to hear that, peacocks. thinking of her -

peacocks

« Reply #260 on: Nov 03, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »

she and the baby are OK but the doctors don't know what the problem is- they don't think it's anything serious. So, that's a relief.

peacocks

« Reply #261 on: Nov 07, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »

blaaah I am struggling to get 1 work done today. It took 2 months for me to get sick of being in the field and only 1 week to get sick of sitting at a desk. I can't wait for december.

I do like wearing pretty clothes, washing my hair, and not eating at 711/taco bell/subway every day.

Em

« Reply #262 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »

Yesterday we had an hour-long staff meeting, the main theme of which was that we all need to be consistent in the way we discipline our boss's out-of-control seven-month-old gigantic puppy who comes to the office and eats trash and occasionally people's lunches. Good times.
peacocks

« Reply #263 on: Nov 17, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »

oh good lord that is bizarre.

one of the old owners of my company used to bring his dog but he was really skittish and quiet. He'd come over to your desk and hang but wouldn't get into anything and if you tried to be all "hey buddy!" he'd leave. More like a cat, really.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #264 on: Nov 17, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »

Is there, or can we discuss and develop, an etiquette for napping at work?

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Em

« Reply #265 on: Nov 17, 2011, 11:16:40 AM »

We have a sofa in our conference room and I totally nap on that thing a few times a week. Sometimes if there are people in there I just put my feet up on my desk, lean back, and take a snooze during my lunch break. But see above post re: the level of etiquette in this office.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #266 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »

Five minutes sitting on a chair in a dark server room with my eyes closed was insufficiently naplike

RoyBiggins

« Reply #267 on: Nov 17, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »

Man. Sounds like you are having an extra rough one today, Jim.  Hang in there.

C of heartbreak

« Reply #268 on: Nov 18, 2011, 01:25:39 AM »

The etiquette here is to find a good hiding place and make sure you don't disappear for too long.

My boss just handed me a stack of papers from several months ago that need to be signed (by somebody--anybody). I'm debating whether to put them through the shredder.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
fishjim

« Reply #269 on: Nov 18, 2011, 02:07:12 AM »

Five minutes sitting on a chair in a dark server room with my eyes closed was insufficiently naplike

My server room naps were never satisfactory. Probably because everyone knew I was too junior to really know what I was doing in there.

peacocks

« Reply #270 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:42:29 AM »

when I worked at a nature center in a park I would go into the big teaching room with the animals and lie in the middle of the floor. No one ever caught me.

There's a couch in the room right before my boss's office but I don't believe anyone has actually placed any part of their body on it before.

peacocks

« Reply #271 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »

I'm the only one in my office today! Aside from a couple surveyors in the other wing.

I could be naked, asleep, drinkin beers, doing all my work on the GIS computer, not doing work, playing video games, chatting on the phone about intense personal matters, eating a chocolate cake off the copier, learning the choreography for the new beyonce videos, reading, moving everything in the office to the opposite side, sitting in the boat in the lab pretending to row, making 1,000 paper cranes, memorizing monologues in Anna Christie, or gathering all the cats that hang out by the building next door and having a cat party at my desk.

fishjim

« Reply #272 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »

Cat party!

monkeypants

« Reply #273 on: Nov 23, 2011, 12:08:41 PM »

Naked cat party!

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
G.C.R

« Reply #274 on: Dec 16, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »

You know, it gets damn disheartening when you greet every customer with a friendly hello and a good half of them don't even respond, because, I dunno, you're sitting behind a counter and therefore not really a human being? I know this is minor as customer service compaints go, and not everyone wants to talk while they're getting a movie, but man, it is straight up rude to just ignore someone who has said hi to you.

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: If your boss is an S.O.B tell him to S.H.O.V.E the J.O.B - new job thrad
Jump to: