Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 24, 2014, 04:14:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658209 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 44 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Snoooooooker  (Read 9686 times)
Good Intentions

« Reply #75 on: Apr 22, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »

You are doing God's work, Nick, and I'm constantly saddened by the time difference which prevents me from watching this myself.
Nick Ink

« Reply #76 on: Apr 23, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »

One rather amusing area on the fringes of snooker pertains to the players' chose walk-on music. The contrast between player and song is frequently startling but I think the choices speak for themselves really, so without further ado, here are the selections of the 32 players at this year's tournament.

Ali Carter: Good Feeling - Flo Rider
Andrew Higginson: Love will tear us apart- Joy Division
Barry Hawkins: Beautiful People -Chris Brown
Cao Yupeng: Blah Blah Blah - Kesha
Dave Gilbert: Super Styling - Groove Armada
Ding Junhui: Poker Face - Lady Gaga
Dominic Dale: La donna E Mobile - Mario Lanza
Graeme Dott: Two Tribes - Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Jamie Jones: Sexy and I know It - LMFAO
Joe Perry: I'm finding it harder to be a gentleman - White Stripes
John Higgins: Nowhere to Hide - Arnold McCuller
Judd Trump: Made It - Kevin Rudolf
Ken Doherty: Irish Rover - The Pogues
Liang Wenbo: Zhong Giou - Liu Dehua
Liu Chuang: Down - Jay Sean
Luca Brecel: Earthquake - Tiny Tempah/Labrinth
Mark Allen: Titanium - David Guetta
Marco Fu: I've gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
Mark Davis: Don't stop till you get enough - Michael Jackson
Mark Selby: Underdog - Kasabian
Mark Williams: Jump - Van Halen
Martin Gould: Playing the game - Motorhead
Matthew Stevens: OMG - Usher
Neil Robertson: Heart of Courage - Two Steps From Hell
Peter Ebdon: Wrapped up in Time - Marillion
Ronnie O'Sullivan: Let me Entertain you - Robbie Williams
Ryan Day: One Step Beyond - Madness
Shaun Murphy: He's a Pirate - Klaus Badelt
Stephen Hendry: Get the Message - Electronic
Stephen Lee: Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
Stephen Maguire: Here I go again - Whitesnake

Andrew 'Why is the bedroom so cold?' Higginson     Stephen Lee - Bigtime into the Peas

Ryan 'Heavy heavy monster show!' Day                    Marillion - very keen on Peter Ebdon

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #77 on: Apr 23, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »

There's a terrific first round match in progress between former winner Shaun Murphy and newcomer, Jamie Jones.
Jones was leading 9-7 and in prime position on the last two reds when he snatched at a simple shot and pushed it wide. Murphy duly stepped in to clear and take it to 9-8. Horrible to watch those kind of 'finishing line nerves' like that. It would be another big turn up if he knocked Murphy out, and I wonder if he Jones can recover from that - a big test of character.

Jamie "Sexy And I Know It" Jones                          A different Jamie Jones

Earlier today Stephen Maguire finished off young Brecel 10-5, while Matthew Stevens romped to an 8-1 lead over Marco Fu. In the other big match this afternoon, it's Ronnie O'Sullivan 7 v 1 Peter Ebdon. Plain sailing for the rocket so far.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #78 on: Apr 23, 2012, 01:04:15 PM »

Shaun Murphy 8 v 10 Jamie Jones

Another seed departs, and Jamie Jones will fancy his chances against Higginson or Lee too - the draw opening up for him a bit?

Antero

« Reply #79 on: Apr 23, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »

One rather amusing area on the fringes of snooker pertains to the players' chose walk-on music. The contrast between player and song is frequently startling but I think the choices speak for themselves really, so without further ado, here are the selections of the 32 players at this year's tournament.
oh my god

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Nick Ink

« Reply #80 on: Apr 23, 2012, 02:00:57 PM »

Mark Allen now faces disciplinary charges, following his accusations of cheating against Cao Yupeng.

This follows a number of run-ins between Allen and the authorities, particularly the head of the Snooker Association, Barry Hearn. Allen was outspoken in his opposition to Hearn's candidature for the post, and has taken every opportunity to publicly criticise his innovations and ideas to revive snooker's flagging fortunes. The most serious episode involved Allen swearing in a post-match press conference and calling for Hearn's resignation over what the player perceived as a u-turn on a promise not to change tournament formats. There's something of an underlying battle for the future of snooker here too, with Mark Allen representing traditionalism and Hearn modernisation and populism. Though the World Championships remain unchanged, there have been some quite radical changes by Hearn, most horrendously, Power Snooker, and its accompanying rowdy darts-like atmosphere.  

Mark Allen

Mark Allen is also an outspoken critic of the increase in China-based tournaments, and has tweeted on the subject "Journey a nightmare. People are ignorant. Place stinks. Arena's rubbish, tables poor, food is horrendous. Other than that I love China" and "Dead cat found this morning...Any wonder this place stinks. Must be dead cats all round the town". Against this context, his coimments about Cao leave a bit of a sour taste, but it has to be said he has also freely admitted he deserved to lose, and that the push shot had no bearing on the result. Plus, he looked to be right - it was a push shot, and it's impossible for a player not to be aware of that.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2012, 02:24:10 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Nick Ink

« Reply #81 on: Apr 23, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

I do apologise to those of you who might be refreshing 'view latest posts on the forum' once in a while and having to scroll through six pages of this stuff. I must admit, this thread seems to have consumed me.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #82 on: Apr 23, 2012, 02:03:25 PM »

This thread valadates the forums hole live so don't worry about it

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
dumbfish

« Reply #83 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »

What Jim said.
Do you think the players themselves choose the music for themselves, as baseball closers do, or that the league picks it for them, as in pro wrestling? Both seem less likely than a system where the players register for the tourney by filling out a form and hit "random" on his iPod.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Nick Ink

« Reply #84 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »

What Jim said.
Do you think the players themselves choose the music for themselves, as baseball closers do, or that the league picks it for them, as in pro wrestling? Both seem less likely than a system where the players register for the tourney by filling out a form and hit "random" on his iPod.

I think it might be a negotiation between the player, his manager and the authorities, but I'm not sure. Stephen Hendry did say in one interview that he wanted "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", but I think he was being self-effacing.

Ignatius

« Reply #85 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »

I would like to see a Higginson/Fu final, if possible.
Nick Ink

« Reply #86 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »

While I like your thinking, Iggy, I fear such a thing is unlikely in the extreme.

Are you basing this preference on their musical choices, by the way?

Nick Ink

« Reply #87 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:29:55 PM »

While I like your thinking, Iggy, I fear such a thing is unlikely in the extreme.

Are you basing this preference on their musical choices, by the way?

Higginson is 2-2 with Stephen Lee at the mid-session interval, by the way, so a decent start for the qualifier.

edit : Matthew Stevens 10 - 3 Marco Fu

I'm afraid that's the end of the dream, Ignatius. Always next year.
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2012, 03:35:19 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Ignatius

« Reply #88 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »

Higginson/Jamie Jones, then.
edison

« Reply #89 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »

I do apologise to those of you who might be refreshing 'view latest posts on the forum' once in a while and having to scroll through six pages of this stuff. I must admit, this thread seems to have consumed me.

I have never played or watched snooker and don't understand the slightest thing about it, but I'm fascinated by this thread.
Nick Ink

« Reply #90 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »

But they're in the same half of the draw! Honestly, it's like you're not really paying attention Ignatius!

John Higgins 10 v 9 Liang Wenbo
Stuart Bingham 4 v 10 Stephen Hendry
Graeme Dott v Joe Perry
Stephen Maguire 10 v 5 Luca Brecel

Stephen Lee 2 v 2 Andrew Higginson
Ali Carter v Mark Davis
Judd Trump v Dominic Dale

Mark Williams v Liu Chuang
Ronnie O'Sullivan 7 v 2 Peter Ebdon
Martin Gould 8 v 10 David Gilbert
Neil Robertson 10 v 4 Ken Doherty

Ding Junhui v Ryan Day
Mark Allen 6 v 10 Cao Yupeng
Matthew Stevens 10 v 2 Marco Fu
Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins

Ignatius

« Reply #91 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:53:07 PM »

Doesn't have to be a final, as long as they meet.
Nick Ink

« Reply #92 on: Apr 23, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »

Doesn't have to be a final, as long as they meet.

Ok, well that's looking like a real possibility then.

Nick Ink

« Reply #93 on: Apr 24, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »

Day 4:

So, we're now halfway through the first round matches, and a couple of updates are in order. Today, last year's beaten finalist, reigning UK Champion and bookmakers' favourite, Judd Trump (+haircut) got his match underway, despite suffering from food poisoning and having a face a very similar colour to the table baize. After looking well below par early doors, the Trumpet, as he's not known, showed glimmers of the exhilarating form which last year won the hearts and minds of an adoring public and he'll come out tomorrow leading seasoned campaigner and all-round buffoon Dominic Dale 5-4.

Judd Trump (+haircut)                                    Ronnie O'Sullivan

Elsewhere, Ronnie O'Sullivan swatted Peter Ebdon aside 10-4 and lies in wait for another of his old enemies (he's made a few), Mark Williams, assuming the Welsh Potting Machine gets past Liu Chang that is. Like erubescent Sinophobe Mark Allen yesterday, Williams now also faces censure from the governing body and even a possible ban following comments on Twitter to the effect that he "hates" the Crucible (the Sheffield venue for the championships since the early 70s). All these political rumblings seem to be the theme of this year's competition.

Meanwhile, the fate of Ding Junhui, and along with it your correspondent's tenner, is somewhat uncertain as he trails well-known Prince Buster fan Ryan Day 5-4. Disappointing from last year's semi-finalist, but time will tell.

The Crucible - loathed and despised by Mark Williams       Graeme Dott - simultaneously humiliated by Joe Perry and a sticky plaster

There have been more than a smattering of first round upsets this year. There was a time when you would look down the first round draw and be surprised if more than 1 or perhaps 2 seeds fell, but nowadays it all seems to be up for grabs. A sign of strength in depth in the game, I think. On which note, former winner Graeme Dott slumped to 8-1 down overnight against Joe Perry today and appears to be a Dead Cueman Walking going into tomorrow's final session. Stephen Maguire will now be licking his lupine lips in predatory anticipation as he eyes a bit of tasty Perry-meat in the second round.

The exciting one tonight is the conclusion of Stephen Lee against Ignatius's fave and Joy Division fanatic, Andrew Higginson. Stephen is much admired for one of the game's most natural cue actions, and will be desperate to do well having recently returned to the top 16 after some years in the snookering wilderness. He's had a good season, and despite the scoreline (Higginson leads 6-4), I fancy Lee to progress for a second-round match up with Jamie Jones.

Finally, world number 1 Mark Selby starts his tournament against Barry Hawkins tonight. The Jester from Leicester is seen by many as a champion-in-waiting, but until he does win the title, that number 1 ranking will ring a bit hollow, no matter how many more minor tournaments he takes. The bookies make him third favourite, I believe, behind Trump and Ronnie, but he has been struggling with a neck problem in recent weeks and may be light on practice.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012, 02:27:10 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Nick Ink

« Reply #94 on: Apr 24, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »

Higginson is on the verge of securing this second round match-up, and it would mean at least one rank outsider into the last 8, perhaps to meet Judd Trump in the quarter-final.

Higginson leads Lee 9-6 now, and needs just one more.

edit: And it's all over, 10-6 - Higginson makes the last 16 for the first time in his career, and the spirit of Ian Curtis lives on at this year's Worlds.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012, 04:47:03 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Ignatius

« Reply #95 on: Apr 24, 2012, 05:09:09 PM »

How come nobody's got moves like Jagger? I feel he too will try to stop Higginson's unlikely reign of melancholy.
Nick Ink

« Reply #96 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »

Not happy.

Ding choked at 9-6 and lost four on the spin to go out to the Welsh world number 35, Ryan Day. And my £10 disappeared with him.

Judd Trump pulled through his match 10-7, but world number 1 Mark Selby is in real trouble, trailing 9-3 to Barry Hawkins. It's a huge surprise, and if Selby does go (and surely he will now), he'll be the EIGHTH seed to get knocked out in the first round this year, which might be a record.

Ryan Day                                                       Barry Hawkins

In the last of the first round matches to get under way, Ali 'The Captain' Carter is ahead 2-1 against outsider, Mark Davis.

But really, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding! How could you!   Mad

Javan

« Reply #97 on: Apr 25, 2012, 04:01:04 PM »

I wonder if we can petition the BBC to replace Hazel Irvine with our very own Nick Ink? It would improve television coverage no end.
Nick Ink

« Reply #98 on: Apr 25, 2012, 05:20:45 PM »

I wonder if we can petition the BBC to replace Hazel Irvine with our very own Nick Ink? It would improve television coverage no end.

Have I ever told you Javan, that I have long been of the opinion that there is more wit and wisdom in your 85 posts than those of our most prolific posters put together?

I am glad to say that I have avoided too much exposure to Hazel this year, watching mainly via the live feed on the BBC website. The downside of this state of affairs is that I miss out on nuggets from the Nugget.

6 times champion, Steve 'The Nugget' Davis (who once signed a poster for me, "to Mick")

His namesake, Mark Davis, looks to be suffering under the pressure of The Crucible atmosphere however - he's 6-1 down to qualified pilot and Crohn's Disease sufferer, Ali Carter. Carter showing some of the form that got him to the final in 2008. As for, Davis, he might have to wait another year before he gets a chance to make his wikipedia page more interest:

Quote from: wikipedia
He has a brother called Steve, though he is not related to multiple World Champion Steve Davis. Nor is he related to Fred Davis or Joe Davis[/quote}  Sad

Nick Ink

« Reply #99 on: Apr 26, 2012, 10:15:05 AM »

With just one first round match to finish, and the second round already underway, time for a round-up of how things stand.

As I have mentioned, it's been a strange first week, with no fewer than 9 of the 16 seeds getting beaten.

John Higgins 10 v 9 Liang Wenbo
Stuart Bingham 4 v 10 Stephen Hendry
Graeme Dott 1 v 10 Joe Perry
Stephen Maguire 10 v 5 Luca Brecel

Stephen Lee 6 v 10 Andrew Higginson
Ali Carter 10 v 2 Mark Davis
Judd Trump 10 v 7 Dominic Dale

Mark Williams 6 v 3 Liu Chuang
Ronnie O'Sullivan 10 v 4 Peter Ebdon
Martin Gould 8 v 10 David Gilbert
Neil Robertson 10 v 4 Ken Doherty

Ding Junhui 9 v 10 Ryan Day
Mark Allen 6 v 10 Cao Yupeng
Matthew Stevens 10 v 2 Marco Fu
Mark Selby 3 v 10 Barry Hawkins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the second round draw looks like this therefore:

John Higgins V Stephen Hendry
Joe Perry V Stephen Maguire

Jamie Jones V Andrew Higginson
Ali Carter V Judd Trump

Mak Williams/Liu Chang V Ronnie O'Sullivan
Dave Gilbert 3 V Neil Robertson 1

Ryan Day V Cao Yupeng
Matthew Stevens V Barry Hawkins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That fourth quarter is particularly odd-looking, with only Matthew Stevens expected to be in the second round, let alone the quarter or semi-finals. You would think that gives the rejuvinated Welshman a huge opportunity, but the way things have been going, it would seem to be anyone's.

The first quarter (Higgins, Hendry, Maguire) and especially the third (O'Sullivan, Williams, Robertson) look the toughest.

One thing to remember is that these matches are longer, over the best of 25 frames and 3 sessions. This usually means the higher ranked player has a better chance of coming through.

With the likes of Selby, Ding, Murphy and Allen out, the odds have shortened on the few remaing top stars, and the bookies now see it like this:

Trump 3/1
O'Sullivan 4/1
Robertson 5/1
Higgins 7/1
Maguire 8/1
Stevens 16/1
Williams 16/1
Carter 22/1
Hendry 25/1
Day 28/1
Hawkins 33/1
Higginson 40/1
Cao 50/1
Perry 50/1
Jones 80/1
Liu 250/1
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2012, 10:17:24 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Snoooooooker
Jump to: