Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 24, 2014, 07:17:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658132 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 61 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: new music: the new new music coming out thread  (Read 48764 times)
Nick Ink

« Reply #100 on: Aug 16, 2011, 04:26:10 PM »

Hah, on the other hand, that sounds interesting to me. I'm gonna check it out.

EDIT: OK, yeah, this is awesome. Nick, I can imagine why you might not like this, but I want the album now.

I do quite like it, but I feel like I've heard that kind of thing rather a lot before, and with 'Traba', he seemed to be finessing a beautiful and unique kind of sound. I had high hopes for an album along the same lines, and with it being on Miasmah too, I don't know.

To be fair, it is pretty decent, and I like the sort of relentless build of the thing, and it's just one track. I'm still keen to hear the album.

Glad you dig it though!

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #101 on: Aug 17, 2011, 12:25:55 AM »

Hah, on the other hand, that sounds interesting to me. I'm gonna check it out.

EDIT: OK, yeah, this is awesome. Nick, I can imagine why you might not like this, but I want the album now.

I do quite like it, but I feel like I've heard that kind of thing rather a lot before, and with 'Traba', he seemed to be finessing a beautiful and unique kind of sound.

Haha that reminds me of a thing Simon Reynolds wrote about Sonic Youth on his blog a couple years ago:

Some days I'm totally of this mind, feeling that the most pointless thing in the world is to make more good music. (Our house is packed with the stuff, my computer is crammed to bursting with the stuff… years and years worth…. if Music was just about "good music" I could spend the rest of my life listening to what I've already got and what's already been made that I've not got around to hearing… what Music in the capital M sense needs to do is give us new concepts, new sensations, to create both new disagreements and new convergences/communalities…)

On other days, swept up in the majesty of music that could be from this year or twelve or twenty two years ago, such concerns seems silly, "why not just enjoy it".

I think the first response is the better one, the more productive one in a sense: keeping keen the blade of one's dissatisfaction, one's impatience … It's just a harder place to live, it's easier to relax into the enjoy-it-all mode.

This relates to Sonic Youth in that the subtext with a lot of discussion of the new album is: what's the point of there being ANOTHER Sonic Youth album in the world, in my life… precisely because they've mattered, done so much, in the past… why listen to the new one when you could listen to Daydream Nation for the 63rd time? Indeed the longer they go on, by this logic, the more they erode their peaks--an analogy that could be extrapolated in reference to rock as a whole, couldn't it?)

Perhaps there are two kinds of responses here that are rather revealing in a glass half-full, glass half-empty kind of way -- "Sonic Youth? A new album? Oh goody" versus "Sonic Youth? A new album? Oh no..." Perhaps you have to be a certain kind of person to actually feel that "Oh no" in this and many other situations... a dismay/distress that can be there as an undernote even when it's things you actually love and on some level are eager to hear

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #102 on: Aug 18, 2011, 03:10:06 PM »

New Blitzen Trapper = Awesome

This after a couple listens. American Goldwing is the album title. It's something of a hybrid between Furr-type country jams and Wild Mountain Nation spastic indie-rock/pop. There are no real ballads like "Echo" or "Not Your Lover," but there are some awesome laid-back country jams, especially "Taking It Easy Too Long." I like most of their rock songs, but they're invariably great when they go the straight country route. They remind me of Evan Dando in that way. Dando hasn't written all that many straight-up country songs, but when he has, the result has always been pure gold. See "Why Do You Do This To Yourself."

Some people on the alt-country board I post on have said the album sounds highly influenced by the Grateful Dead. I have never listened to and know nothing about the Grateful Dead, so I can't comment on that.

This is definitely a welcome bounce back after the middling Destroyer of the Void. Renewed my faith in Eric Earley being one of the best songwriters going.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #103 on: Aug 18, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »

Dogg you and I clearly like different things about Evan Dando's music. As far as I'm concerned, he's best as a power-pop songwriter, and his country stuff always bums me out because it's getting in the way of another of the kinds of songs I actually get Evan Dando/Lemonheads albums for. It's A Shame About Ray will always be my favorite collection of his songs, though I suppose that's not too surprising. Haha I can't stand "Why Do You Do This To Yourself."

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #104 on: Aug 18, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »

And by the way, I'm not yellin at you for having bad taste or anything like that--I guess I'm just always surprised when someone praises an artist I really like for what I consider to be their worst tendencies.

Ignatius

« Reply #105 on: Aug 18, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »

It's interesting when two people with different tastes can appreciate different halves of the same songwriter's output, though. Maybe it says something about a guy's talent when he can impress RL with his country stuff and TSKS with his pop even if those impressions share no middle ground.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #106 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »

Dogg you and I clearly like different things about Evan Dando's music. As far as I'm concerned, he's best as a power-pop songwriter....

I actually really love his power-pop stuff as well, so, contrary to Ignatius's suspicions, we do share a lot of common ground when it comes to Dando. I'd agree that It's A Shame About Ray is his best album, even though I love his solo album and the live acoustic thing he released. It's just that I feel like he turns out some real power-pop turds (the last halves of Car Button Cloth and Come On, Feel the Lemonheads have several of these) whereas his downbeat country stuff I always find wonderful.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2011, 08:18:16 PM by RavingLunatic » Logged

justinh

« Reply #107 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »

I like that song about how he's not "the outdoor type", but mostly because it's funny.  I hope "hospital" isn't on your power pop shitlist, because that's one of my favorite Lemonheads songs!

When I saw the Lemonheads, Dando did a solo country cover of "Skulls" (Misfits), which was good--and also featured his only audible guitar playing of the evening (probably for good reason). 
RavingLunatic

« Reply #108 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »

Nah, I love "Hospital." The first five songs on Car Button Cloth are awesome, especially "If I Could Talk I'd Tell You," probably my favorite Lemonheads song. I read somewhere that that song was about an interview he had with some journalist where he couldn't talk because of all the drugs he'd been doing.

I like "The Outdoor Type" but I wanna say that he didn't write that song. I could be wrong.

justinh

« Reply #109 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »

"What if something's on TV and it's never shown again?"

Yeah, you're right--wikipedia says Tom Morgan wrote that song. 
davy

« Reply #110 on: Aug 18, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »

The Destroyer of the Void era was a tough one for BT fans, but I'm definitely excited about American Goldwing. I was gonna do the pre-order/instant download thing yesterday, but I was mad that I missed out on the white vinyl, and couldn't decide whether or not I wanted a t-shirt.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
davy

« Reply #111 on: Aug 18, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »

Ok, I couldn't stand it. Had to listen tonight. Holy shit this is a good record! Way better than I hoped! It's got the highs of Wild Mountain Nation (if still not quite anything equal to the title track of that album) and the consistency of Furr -- probably more consistency than Furr.

Future listens will tell the tale, but this might be the best LP they've released to date.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #112 on: Aug 21, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »

Half Man Half Biscuit have mustered the energy to churn out another album.

90 Bisodol (Crimond)

Released on September 26, 2011

1. Something’s Rotten In The Back Of Iceland
2. RSVP
3. Tommy Walsh’s Eco House
4. Joy In Leeuwarden (We Are Ready)
5. Excavating Rita
6. Fun Day In The Park
7. Descent Of The Stiperstones
8. Left Lyrics In The Practice Room
9. L’Enfer C’est Les Autres
10. Fix It So She Dreams Of Me
11. The Coroner’s Footnote
12. Rock And Roll Is Full Of Bad Wools

2, 3, 8 and 9 were all on the recent BBC 6Music session, and 4 has been played live a bit.

Almost certainly fantastic.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
jm

« Reply #113 on: Aug 21, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »

Nick: damn, thanks for the tipoff!  I'll look for that.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Nick Ink

« Reply #114 on: Aug 28, 2011, 05:29:03 AM »

Also, additional amazing Australian ambience ahoy alert:

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #115 on: Aug 31, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »

I am drinking my orange juice and waiting very patiently for the new the-dream album to download

very, very patiently

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #116 on: Aug 31, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »

this shit is amazing so far. I want the first song to be even slower.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #117 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »

I hope this song is actually the whole album

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #118 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »

dude is pissed though

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #119 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »

okay a couple corrections now that I've calmed down- I started listening at track 2 apparently, and I was drinking pineapple juice not orange juice but at the store I had meant to buy orange juice

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #120 on: Aug 31, 2011, 01:25:51 PM »

okay this casha song is shit though, even if the production is total adult contemporary midi karaoke, which I kind of like

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #121 on: Aug 31, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »

casha song is a cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzqPOK6RmsE

i really like 1977 even though it is kind of the best case scenario of the question "what if the-dream made a drake record"

kyle

« Reply #122 on: Aug 31, 2011, 11:21:53 PM »

One of my favorite bands, The Casket Lottery, has started recording a new album. They're most recent release was in 2003. Stooooooooked!

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
justinh

« Reply #123 on: Sep 01, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »

Seems like there are heaps of promising records coming out these days--Amen Dunes, Male Bonding, Purling Hiss...

Drone-loving people, what do you think of this band Motion Sickness of Time Travel?  My interest has been piqued, and I plan on checking it out.  I'm kind of particular about this stuff. 
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #124 on: Sep 02, 2011, 12:39:31 AM »

holy shit dudes

this collective of grind dudes called boy better know put out a comp called tropical 2, which is a sequel to a comp called tropical, the basic idea of both being that these grime dudes attack really ecstatic house music, and it is completely exhilarating. basically i'm all attn: nick ink here but i think anyone can get down with this.

samples!:
royal t: "cool down": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjqbDGvYuoU
todd edwards: "the stranger": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZnAKwrGYu4
jme: "sandy beach": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8nCWTdrZEk
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2011, 12:41:34 AM by Black Amnesia of Heaven » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: new music: the new new music coming out thread
Jump to: