Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 02, 2014, 07:45:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657939 Posts in 9260 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 83 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: new music: the new new music coming out thread  (Read 45531 times)
Almanzo

« Reply #250 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »

My favorite is when the solo record not only sounds like the band's regular stuff, but also has like 3/4 of the band on it as dude's backing band. Cf. Thurston Moore, "Psychic Hearts" and Frank Black's first self-titled.

Was actually thinking of making some sort of master list of those about a week ago.

Sodomize Intolerance
fishjim

« Reply #251 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:23:11 PM »

CHU DON'T KNOW ME MAN
CHU THINK CHU KNOW ME BUT CHU DON'T
Much Love

no for real I think this sounds like a terrible idea and I stopped paying attention to the Hold Steady after "Stay Positive."  

I heard the title track from Stay Positive and was like, "Oh, man, this is gonna be as great as everyone else says it is," and was then pretty underwhelmed by the record as a whole.  I didn't buy the one after that.  I should probably give SP another listen, as I remember being the ONLY one in the world who felt that way about it, though.  

Really, though, no matter how much I like Boys and Girls in America, those Lifter Puller records will always be my jam, Craig Finn-wise.  I'll probably give this solo thing a chance, but I'll keep my expectations low for now.  

I'll cosign on most of this, with the qualifier that Separation Sunday will always be tops for me. Probably 'cause it was my first Craig Finn experience, but still - I swallow it whole several times a year.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
ellaguru

« Reply #252 on: Nov 09, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »

I think that Separation Sunday is still the best album of our young millennium. But they've been diminishing returns band pretty much from there on in.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
davy

« Reply #253 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:58:47 AM »

solo records from dudes in bands=almost always a bad idea
exception: Paul Westerberg, but just the one time

Are we talking about solo records released while the artist's other band is still a going concern? Lindsey Buckingham comes to mind...

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #254 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:33:08 AM »

I expect this will annoy some and intrigue others. I'm in the latter camp. Haven't heard it yet, but other people are guessing at The Boats or something from 12K.

From boomkat:
*Limited edition run of 90 hand-assemebled copies for the world, comes housed in a modified oversized and stamped sleeve, with a CD album inside plus 4 limited edition prints - never to be re-pressed* Ok, so we're under strict instructions to keep the anonimity thing firmly intact with this one, so we're kinda not really sure what we can and can't say. All we can really bring ourselves to mention is that it takes a certain pedigree (not to mention confidence) to do this kinda thing properly, and the person behind this new untitled imprint has gone the whole hog - there are no artist or label names to get in the way of your enjoyment, and although each instalment in this series will come from different (well known in our world) artists, they've all had to leave their egos at the door and make do with being part of this beautifully bespoke enterprise. Only 90 copies are available - and although we've no doubt that sooner or later the cat'll be let out the bag, for the moment you'll just have to decide if you want to take a punt... keeping in mind that everything else the people behind this label have ever made has sold out pretty much in a flash. Anyway, good luck!

Also coming out soon!

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
merrittfan

« Reply #255 on: Nov 18, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »

Guyz, I'm only gonna post in this thread if it's about tapes, 'kay?

Just bought my copy, even though I really had NO right to do so.  50 orders come with an ultra limited Sebadoh cassette and I might faint if I wind up getting one of those.
Almanzo

« Reply #256 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:37:46 AM »

Guyz, I'm only gonna post in this thread if it's about tapes, 'kay?

Just bought my copy, even though I really had NO right to do so.  50 orders come with an ultra limited Sebadoh cassette and I might faint if I wind up getting one of those.

Aw, dammit. Now I wanna get it.

Sodomize Intolerance
monkeypants

« Reply #257 on: Nov 18, 2011, 11:03:45 AM »

Ha!  I still have my original SST copy of Bug on cassette.  It sounds like ass, though.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
merrittfan

« Reply #258 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:12:50 PM »

Ha!  I still have my original SST copy of Bug on cassette.  It sounds like ass, though.

This makes me want to keep these reissued copies preserved and unopened just so that they still sound great 23 years from now.
edison

« Reply #259 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:13:05 AM »

OH YES:

http://www.dragcity.com/products/toward-the-low-sun
davy

« Reply #260 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »

That's exciting. Kind of looks like shit, though.

edison

« Reply #261 on: Dec 09, 2011, 08:48:31 AM »

I await the European tour announcement with trepidation.

I almost literally bumped into Warren Ellis the other day at the Bill Callahan show!
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #262 on: Dec 09, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »

oh hell yes. seconding tour announcement anticipation.  Cool

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
narlus

« Reply #263 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »

That's exciting. Kind of looks like shit, though.

Mick's done far better art work.

justinh

« Reply #264 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:58:06 PM »

I haven't been much interested in the last couple of Dirty Three records, but I concur that they are extremely rad live. 

Hot damn...looks like they've already announced Australian dates.  And they're playing Castlemaine?  Is it normal for bands to play cities of 7000 people here?  I'm tempted to take the train up and make a weekend of it.  There's always Melbourne too, I suppose. 
Chet

« Reply #265 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »

The new Springsteen single is pretty good. Although at this point it's hard to tell whether Bruce Springsteen sounds like the Arcade Fire or if the Arcade Fire sound like Bruce Springsteen.

Here is the tracklist for 'Wrecking Ball'

01 We Take Care of Our Own
02 Easy Money
03 Shackled and Down
04 Jack of All Trades
05 Death to My Hometown

06 This Depression
07 Wrecking Ball
08 You’ve Got It
09 Rocky Ground
10 Land of Hope and Dreams
11 We Are Alive

12 Swallowed Up (Bonus Track)
13 American Land (Bonus Track)

The ones in bold are like if he held a fan competition to name a Bruce Springsteen song. I hope they don't actually sounds like self parody.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2012, 09:55:44 AM by Chet » Logged

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
davy

« Reply #266 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »

This just came out and I like it! I remember when their first record dropped and it was pretty buzzworthy and all but I never got around to it. This one is fun, though!

This song in particular: http://youtu.be/j9_xniHg8pc

Nick Ink

« Reply #267 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »

Long-time Ink favourite, Claro Intelecto has a new album out in Match, and this 3-track EP out now:

CI is the Modern Love label boss and kind of a mentor to Andy Stott. This release is of interest to anyone who liked Andy's two EPs last year.

EDIT: which is to say, Killdozer, this is up your street, I fancy.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2012, 05:20:29 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
fishjim

« Reply #268 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:16:31 PM »

Nick, this is off-topic, but your post reminded me that Roald Dahl, in his kids book The Witches, sometimes refers to England as Ink-land. Which is how I often think of it these days, too Smile

Thermofusion

« Reply #269 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:17:55 PM »

Man that book rules. Also the movie.

triple paisley minimum
fishjim

« Reply #270 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »

Yeah, it does (haven't seen the movie yet). As does Roald Dahl generally. Iris and I have been on a Dahl kick the last few months. My new favorite is The BFG, but fuck, they're all fantastic. I could completely derail the thread at this point but I will exert some self-control.

So ... how about that new Leonard Cohen? Anyone heard the whole thing yet?
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2012, 06:33:56 PM by fishjim » Logged

coldforge

« Reply #271 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:56:09 PM »

I must confess that having been exposed to the seemingly depthless odiousness of the man's personality did somewhat sour me on his work.

'Seemingly depthless odiousness'! Can you tell I've been writing?

è l'era del terzo mondo.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #272 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »

if so you are always writing

Antero

« Reply #273 on: Feb 05, 2012, 03:47:51 AM »

I must confess that having been exposed to the seemingly depthless odiousness of the man's personality did somewhat sour me on his work.

'Seemingly depthless odiousness'! Can you tell I've been writing?
Man, that shit sounded like you tripped and landed in a Wodehouse novel or something, and you're strolling along a manicured footpath and telling your valet about some poet whose gloomy mien and ivory skin have worked the maidens into fits all up and down the English countryside.

fuck, it's contagious.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
davy

« Reply #274 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »

Yeah, it does (haven't seen the movie yet). As does Roald Dahl generally. Iris and I have been on a Dahl kick the last few months. My new favorite is The BFG, but fuck, they're all fantastic. I could completely derail the thread at this point but I will exert some self-control.

BFG was always my favorite!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: new music: the new new music coming out thread
Jump to: