Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 01, 2014, 02:23:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658067 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 51 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
Author Topic: new music: the new new music coming out thread  (Read 47591 times)
davy

« Reply #300 on: Mar 04, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »

Yeah, I couldn't really tell what the Fields were going for this time around.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
edison

« Reply #301 on: Mar 04, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »

I think by now he's content to go for cheap jokes or puns instead of shooting for any kind of emotional resonance? Which I also find troubling and disappointing, but then again, the thing's pretty catchy. So I can't hate it, really (and am in fact liking it, though I have no doubt that it will have little if any lasting effect)
Nick Ink

« Reply #302 on: Mar 10, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »

Can't wait.

Anyone who liked Andy Stott's EPs last year should check out CI, who is Andy's sort of mentor

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Almanzo

« Reply #303 on: Mar 12, 2012, 01:48:55 PM »

I think by now he's content to go for cheap jokes or puns instead of shooting for any kind of emotional resonance? Which I also find troubling and disappointing, but then again, the thing's pretty catchy. So I can't hate it, really (and am in fact liking it, though I have no doubt that it will have little if any lasting effect)

The record is atrocious. Apparently "God wants us to wait" (easily the worst song on the album) is just a re-write of a pre-MF song from back in the day, like circa '86. Anyone (RoyBiggins, Lucy) will tell you that I'm pretty much the most obsessive living Stephin Merritt fan (and consider him the greatest living songwriter, ahead of Cohen, Dylan, Wilson, Webb, and Newman), but holy crap this record is a stinker.

Sodomize Intolerance
davy

« Reply #304 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:14:59 PM »

Sweeeeeeet -- Damon Albarn's newest collaboration with Tony Allen, this time with Flea on board. They're going for a Fela Kuti/Sun Ra vibe. I can dig it.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45391-listen-damon-albarn-flea-and-tony-allens-band-rocket-juice-and-the-moon-team-with-erykah-badu/

davy

« Reply #305 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »

Also, are we excited about the new Fiona Apple album, which may come out in June? I am!

Almanzo

« Reply #306 on: Mar 14, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »

Sweeeeeeet -- Damon Albarn's newest collaboration with Tony Allen, this time with Flea on board. They're going for a Fela Kuti/Sun Ra vibe. I can dig it.

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/45391-listen-damon-albarn-flea-and-tony-allens-band-rocket-juice-and-the-moon-team-with-erykah-badu/

Wow, this just made my day.

Sodomize Intolerance
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #307 on: Mar 31, 2012, 09:11:02 AM »

new orbital album is SUPER AWESOME

Nick Ink

« Reply #308 on: Mar 31, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »

new orbital album is SUPER AWESOME
Really?

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #309 on: Mar 31, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »

yeah. consensus among people i've talked to about it is that it's their best since in sides

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #310 on: Mar 31, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »

i'd agree but i never actually listened to the blue album. which, maybe that's for the best.

this is a pretty incredible set they did a few weeks ago. it incorporates a lot of the new record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpQQy52T0Ts

Nick Ink

« Reply #311 on: Apr 05, 2012, 06:26:08 AM »

Hey davy, check it out:

Colossal Amon Tobin box out in May

Other things in the pipeline that will likely be good:

Black Dice - Mr.Impossible
Library Tapes - Sun Peeking Through
Claro Intelecto - Reform Club

davy

« Reply #312 on: Apr 05, 2012, 08:55:07 AM »

WHAT

lucky strike

« Reply #313 on: Apr 07, 2012, 09:18:18 PM »

WTF, AWESOME

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
Nick Ink

« Reply #314 on: Apr 08, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »

Gareth Dickson – Quite A Way Away (it's on 12K, but he's a singer, intriguing)

Have you heard any of his previous stuff? I'm not a big expert or anything, but really quite liked what I have heard by him. Some of it is kind of quiet folky singer-songwritery stuff, but some of it is definitely more ambient/experimental/whatever. So I'd say the artist/label pairing does make sense. I should definitely give this a listen.

Never have! But I like 90% of 12K so I'm all ears. :-)  I would actually really like to find something in that vein that I really liked.

I just wanted to come back to this album, which has slowly grown on me. With both singing and recognisable guitar playing, it's not the type of thing I usually spend a long time listening to, but there's a really compelling atmosphere to the music, and the songs have these unusual structures that sway and build, or change into something else altogether halfway through. A lot of reviewers have cited Nick Drake as a reference, which is fair enough I suppose - there's a fragile timbre to the voice in particular. I also hear a more subtle echo of Thee, Stranded Horse's Churning Strides album from a few years' back, in the momentum, mood and tangled web of string-picking.

Anyway, if anyone fancies a gentle folk singer with unusual song structures and complex, atmospheric guitar playing, I recommend it highly. You can hear a couple of tracks at the 12K link below.

Gareth Dickson - Quite A Way Away (12K)

Nick Ink

« Reply #315 on: Apr 19, 2012, 01:55:25 AM »

edison

« Reply #316 on: May 02, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »

Not sure if anyone here beyond alex is into them (Nick Ink should be), but the third Trapist album is out in June, apparently!

http://www.normanrecords.com/vinyl/133720-trapist-the-golden-years
edison

« Reply #317 on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »

Anyway, if anyone fancies a gentle folk singer with unusual song structures and complex, atmospheric guitar playing, I recommend it highly. You can hear a couple of tracks at the 12K link below.

As I recently found out through the Facebook page of a friend's friend, he's playing a house show in Strasbourg. A bit intimidating since I don't know the people in question, but I'll try to muster up the courage to go!
Nick Ink

« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2012, 12:56:24 PM »

Not sure if anyone here beyond alex is into them (Nick Ink should be), but the third Trapist album is out in June, apparently!

http://www.normanrecords.com/vinyl/133720-trapist-the-golden-years

Thanks! Staubgold have been involved with some good things before. I'll check it out.

edison

« Reply #319 on: May 19, 2012, 03:27:35 PM »

Gareth Dickson – Quite A Way Away (it's on 12K, but he's a singer, intriguing)

Have you heard any of his previous stuff? I'm not a big expert or anything, but really quite liked what I have heard by him. Some of it is kind of quiet folky singer-songwritery stuff, but some of it is definitely more ambient/experimental/whatever. So I'd say the artist/label pairing does make sense. I should definitely give this a listen.

Never have! But I like 90% of 12K so I'm all ears. :-)  I would actually really like to find something in that vein that I really liked.

I just wanted to come back to this album, which has slowly grown on me. With both singing and recognisable guitar playing, it's not the type of thing I usually spend a long time listening to, but there's a really compelling atmosphere to the music, and the songs have these unusual structures that sway and build, or change into something else altogether halfway through. A lot of reviewers have cited Nick Drake as a reference, which is fair enough I suppose - there's a fragile timbre to the voice in particular. I also hear a more subtle echo of Thee, Stranded Horse's Churning Strides album from a few years' back, in the momentum, mood and tangled web of string-picking.

I'm listening to this for the fifth time or so now and liking it so much that I'm 100% sure I'll really have to overcome my social anxiety and go to that house show on Tuesday. "Nunca Jamas", in particular, is a great song.

edit: and yeah, I get a Thee, Stranded Horse vibe too...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:32:21 PM by edison » Logged
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #320 on: May 21, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »

ayo, everything i've heard so far from the neil young & crazy horse public domain covers record americana has been seriously awesome

for instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur93x7zN4To

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #321 on: May 22, 2012, 05:01:47 PM »

Protomen are releasing an album of live Queen covers. Instaboner

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
fishjim

« Reply #322 on: May 22, 2012, 05:10:50 PM »

My illustrator friend who did those fish-people menus just posted a cute comic about the new Garbage album.

Hanae Rivera tumblr

EDIT: I only just noted the SHARKS in the upper right!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:22:51 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
davy

« Reply #323 on: May 29, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »

It's official, the new Walkmen album is my favorite record so far this year.

2012 has largely underachieved in terms of new music, so I'm pretty excited about Heaven. And surprised! I love The Walkmen, but their records usually take a while to sink in.

Nick Ink

« Reply #324 on: May 29, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »

I was just thinking today that 2012 has been slim pickings. I only have about 12 or 14 things I've been really keen on.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: new music: the new new music coming out thread
Jump to: