Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Nov 01, 2014, 05:40:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
658143 Posts in 9262 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 54 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: What new music did you buy today.  (Read 35167 times)
alex

« Reply #225 on: Oct 02, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »

A Winged Victory for the Sullen - s/t
Mickey Newbury - An American Trilogy (boxset)

The latter is mostly for the disc of demo recordings and rarities, as I already have the three studio albums it contains on vinyl - although the convenience of having high-quality digital versions of those albums (important because all the mixes I ever make these days contain an obligatory Mickey Newbury track) was definitely a factor, too.
edison

« Reply #226 on: Oct 02, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »

Is that the Drag City version or the British version? I remember reading that one of them has a significantly more extensive booklet, or something, but I'm not sure anymore.
alex

« Reply #227 on: Oct 02, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

Damn, I didn't even know this. I have the UK release, which does come with a shorter booklet than the original Drag City release, it seems. That said, as far as I could establish with a quick search, the much more extensive booklet seems to have been a limited edition release - it looks like the Drag City and non-Drag City (Saint Cecilia Knows) releases currently being sold are the same, or at least very nearly the same. And it seems that the more extensive version also would have been more than twice the price of what I paid now, which simply wouldn't have been justifiable considering I already had the vast majority of the music it contains.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #228 on: Oct 02, 2011, 04:03:52 PM »

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Maaik

« Reply #229 on: Oct 02, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »

How is that Foo Fighters album?  I really like that song "Rope" and I've been kinda so-so on everything else I've heard.  I am perpetually prepared to really like that band again, but they just haven't brought it since their second album.

I need anne the man lessons
Ah_Pook

« Reply #230 on: Oct 02, 2011, 10:29:38 PM »

i like it, but i havent heard anything since their second album so i dunno how it would compare. its got hooks. i picked it up after hearing that song rope and im not disappointed.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #231 on: Oct 03, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »

Oh yeah and also they were really awful live when I saw them on that tour.

Is that when they were touring with Dethklok and High on Fire and Converge? I must have gotten a contact high from the dudes standing behind me or something, that combined with the visuals (and probably the live setting) made that the first time I really appreciated that album. In fact they recorded that concert (at the Aragon) for a DVD and I'd buy the DVD if it came with a dude to stand behind me and blow pot smoke at the back of my head.

High on Fire totally owned that show though.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #232 on: Oct 03, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »

The AV Club review of the new Mastodon made me really want to check it out, but it took me forever to warm up to Blood Mountain and even then it didn't really stick with me, and I absolutely hate Crack the Skye, a lot of which sounds like really awful Alice in Chains worship to me--so, like, Godsmack or something, only with some sludge metal thrown in. Oh yeah and also they were really awful live when I saw them on that tour. It's really too bad, because Remission and Leviathan are both really great records.

Agree with all this.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
davy

« Reply #233 on: Oct 03, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »

And I too saw Mastodon with High on Fire and Converge, and both those bands wiped the floor with Mastodon.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Good Intentions

« Reply #234 on: Oct 03, 2011, 06:37:48 PM »

But that's hardly fair, High on Fire wipes the floor with everything from glaciers to elder gods.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #235 on: Oct 03, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »

the new mastodon is kind of slight to me.

then again both blood mountain and crack the skye snuck up on me. find the former tremendous now. when i am in the mood for the latter, it is fucking on.

Ah_Pook

« Reply #236 on: Oct 03, 2011, 09:44:41 PM »

But that's hardly fair, High on Fire wipes the floor with everything from glaciers to elder gods.

i saw high on fire and mastodon together on the tour after remission (and surrounded by thieves) came out, and even then high on fire smoked mastodon live. mastodon still put on a hell of a show though.

reebty

« Reply #237 on: Oct 05, 2011, 07:18:13 AM »

First album, and they have Neu! '75 as well, but I decided to wait until tomorrow (pay day) to get that.

Benmont Tench

« Reply #238 on: Oct 08, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »

Feist - Metals

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Keep your dripping hair away from the digipak!
ellaguru

« Reply #239 on: Oct 08, 2011, 05:51:49 PM »

20% off at the record hut today:

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come & John Cale - Paris 1919, neither of which I've heard but both of which have been on the list for a while

Okkervil River - I Am Very Far, which I would have gotten when it first came out, but I was very broke then.

Lucinda Williams - West. I kinda lost track of her after World Without Tears, which seems silly because that album was pretty awesome.

Nick Lowe - The Old Magic. New Nick Lowe!

Marvin Gaye - Anthology. Five sides of 1960's Marvin. Side two of the third record is mostly from What's Going On? but I already have that, I'm wanting the earlier stuff.

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. Upgrading from CD because of how this is like one of the best albums ever.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
monkeypants

« Reply #240 on: Oct 08, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »

Today's library sale finds:

LPs:
Samul-Nori - Drums And Voices Of Korea
Shakti - A Handful Of Beauty
Yehudi Menuhin & Ravi Shankar - West Meets East
Music From Distant Corners Of The World (2 disc sampler from the Nonesuch Explorer Series)

CD:
Bonobo - Animal Magic

All this plus one book cost me a whopping $10.50.  Nice.

Currenty listening to the Korean album.  This is some pretty crazy shit.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
narlus

« Reply #241 on: Oct 08, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »

SM/Jicks - Mirror Traffic and Mogwai's _Earth Division_ on vinyl, and 3 of the Pink Floyd reissues on cd (1st two and More).

jebreject

« Reply #242 on: Oct 08, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »

Oh yeah and also they were really awful live when I saw them on that tour.

Is that when they were touring with Dethklok and High on Fire and Converge? I must have gotten a contact high from the dudes standing behind me or something, that combined with the visuals (and probably the live setting) made that the first time I really appreciated that album. In fact they recorded that concert (at the Aragon) for a DVD and I'd buy the DVD if it came with a dude to stand behind me and blow pot smoke at the back of my head.

High on Fire totally owned that show though.

That tour, yeah. Part of it was the venue, which has the shittiest sound imaginable (which totally fucked Converge, who sounded awful, and of whom I'm generally a huge fan), but even so I thought Mastodon put on a bad show. The visuals were cool but god do I ever fucking hate their stupid clean vocals. They are so. fucking. bad.

Deathklok was the only band that had good sound that night. & they were the only band I had no interest in watching whatsoever.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #243 on: Oct 09, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »

Okkervil River - I Am Very Far, which I would have gotten when it first came out, but I was very broke then.

What do people around here think of this one? I know there are a lot of Okkervil fans on the board. I consider myself a huge Okkervil fan, but I don't care for the new one much at all. I like maybe three songs, and there's nothing that blows me away. I think it's the first mediocre album they've ever made, unless you count that Stars Too Small to Use thing they did forever ago.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
DanielBurns11

« Reply #244 on: Oct 10, 2011, 02:42:53 AM »

Mastodon - The Hunter

Got it a couple days ago. I'm on my third listen now, and still have no idea what to think, it's a lot to take in with 13 songs and almost 53 minutes. Seems to combine a lot of Blood Mountain and a lot of Crack the Skye, and I guess some classic 70's Rock that I am embarrassingly not well versed in.

Definitely some of the catchiest/stick inside your head melodies they have ever written, both vocally and musically. They seem to have stepped up the vocals even more than they did on Crack the Skye too. Seems like a lot less Brent Hinds on this record (total fanboy), or maybe he just sounds different now? I know Brann sings a few on this record and I have to stop and ask who the fuck is singing and be like oh yeah Brann sings now.

Anyway, I have had fun listening each time I've put it on, so that's a plus!

Antero

« Reply #245 on: Oct 10, 2011, 02:47:57 AM »

This album is staggeringly brilliant.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Javan

« Reply #246 on: Oct 10, 2011, 05:22:10 AM »

Nick Lowe - The Old Magic. New Nick Lowe!

I do not know Nick Lowe at all, but I saw him playing I Read A Lot the other night on some singer-songwriter show on tv, and it was amazing. Will check the album out now.
alex

« Reply #247 on: Oct 10, 2011, 05:50:04 AM »

I think I've heard three or four Nick Lowe songs in my life, and they've all been excellent pop songs. I vaguely remember that this is not your first Nick Lowe purchase listed in this thread (or one of its many predecessors), so tell me ella: if I wanted to check out one of his albums, where should I start?
ellaguru

« Reply #248 on: Oct 10, 2011, 11:01:46 AM »

For excellent pop songs, I'd start with Jesus of Cool and Labour of Lust, which are his first two, and then Rockpile's Seconds of Pleasure, which is just as great, but half the songs are Nick Lowe and the other half are Dave Edmunds - who is also good but different. Some examples:

Cruel to be Kind

So It Goes

Breaking Glass

And then lately (meaning, since 1990 or so) he's turned into a crooner instead. This stuff is all really solid, but I think I'd pick The Impossible Bird and The Convincer. Some examples:

True Love Travels on a Gravel Road

Homewrecker

and this one's off the new one, and Javan likes it:

I Read a Lot

His middle albums mostly have some good songs on them, but can be pretty hit or miss.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
edison

« Reply #249 on: Oct 10, 2011, 11:38:57 AM »

Oh, and recent purchases:

Nice! this one has been on my list for ages. Is it as awesome as the one track I have from it?

(Sorry it took me two weeks to reply to this)

Yes, it is awesome! I saw that line-up live here a few years ago and that was a little bit better than the studio (as was the Ex & Brass Unbound playing mostly Catch My Shoe stuff in August, btw, that was fantastic), but the album is still very much worthy of recommendation. They sell it for 10 euros shipping included, it has lots of photos, liner notes and lyrics and whatnot, so really a no-brainer.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: What new music did you buy today.
Jump to: